[soc.religion.christian] Translation

kilroy@mimsy.umd.edu (Darren F. Provine) (10/19/89)

In article <Oct.16.00.21.50.1989.14427@athos.rutgers.edu>
bnr-fos!bmers58!davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) provides his
interpretation of 1 Corinthians 7:1 --

> It categorically states that there ought not to be so much as even the
>slightest degree of touching between unmarried people. This standard of
>premarital conduct is sadly lacking in our world today.

I happen to disagree with this interpretation, and I would disagree with
it even if we use the word `touch'.

Words are slippery things, and assigning absolute meanings to the words
of someone else (particularly when you have only half of a conversation)
is little more than speculation.

(And please don't reply to this article by telling me that I'm rebelling
 against the Word of God and that if I was walking with the Holy Spirit
 then I would agree with you.  You have no business judging me like that,
 and doing so will get you little besides a quick trip to my KILL file.)

Dave laments that the NIV removes the absolute prohibition on contact
from Scripture, and points out that this started when he was arguing
for the most reliable translation possible.  He adds:

>The NIV translators apparently traded away a word-for-word translation in
>favour of trying to help us understand what God meant. In doing so they
>have lost many difficult to see yet extremely important messages from Him.

which has a few problems:

Firstly, 20th century American English is *very* object-oriented:
word-for-word translations *create* meanings in the Bible that do *NOT*
exist in the original languages, because much of the metaphorical import
is lost.  In other words, some of the `extremely important messages' that
you are so worried about *may not be there*.

[ Didn't we do this over in t.r.m. just a few months ago?  I recommended
  reading Benjamin Lee Whorf, as I recall.  Here's another plug for him. ]

Secondly, there are *NO* word-for-word translations besides interlinears;
unless that is the Bible you read, translators and scholars have re-arranged
words, inserted words, and changed words to make the passages into
sensible English.  (Without this, the translation would be only slightly
less gobbledygook than is Usenet.  8^)

And if you *do* read an interlinear, then you are *still* re-arranging the
text in your head as you read it -- in effect, you are doing the same thing
the translators would do (but perhaps without either their knowledge or
experience).

Thirdly, you make an interesting comment when you say:

>Surely an all knowledgeable and all wise God does not need us sinful
>human beings to clarify what He says. Surely His Holy Spirit does not
>require the rephrasing of His Words by us sinful human beings in order
>to bring people to salvation. We ought to leave His Word in tact and
>just simply trust that He will bring its full power to bear on
>whomsoever He pleases.

Over & above my earlier complaint that it is not possible to translate the
Bible *and* leave the words intact, this brings to mind some of the places
in Scripture that *cannot* be left as-is; there are many places in Job
and Proverbs (Job 6:6, 8:14, 21:24, 29:24, 30:12, 35:15, 36:20, 38:26,
Proverbs 7:22, 12:27, 19:7, and more available upon request) wherein the
meaning of a word (or in some cases an entire phrase) is unknown.

There are literally *hundreds* of places where different manuscripts
say different things, and there is no way of knowing which is correct.

According to Ward Powers, author of _Learn To Read the Greek New_
_Testament_,

   "punctuation was NOT used in the earliest, uncial, manuscripts of the
    Greek New Testament, where in fact the practice of the time was to
    run all the words together without a space between them. [...]  For
    example, are Romans 8:33b and 8:34b statements or questions? --
    the Greek itself does not indicate which it is."  [ from Page 22,
    emphasis in the original ]

You state that:

> Any attempt to change His Words makes them become the words of men and
>cease being the Word of God.

But the fact of the matter is that nobody knows what His Words *are* --
there are hundreds of variant readings, passages that no one understands,
and textual ambiguities.  *ANY* version of the Bible you read, even if
you read it in the original languages, is going to have this problem.

(If you read it in the original languages, who will you learn from?  And
 which version of the manuscripts will you read?  Without punctuation,
 what will you do about the New Testament?)

-=-=-

Dave, unless you can produce documentation that you are a qualified
translator of Koine Greek, then I have no reason to accept that you
are in a better position to interpret 1 Corinthians 7:1 than are
the translators of the NIV.

A word-for-word translation just isn't sufficient -- putting literal
meanings on English words when we don't know what the original words
mean does nothing to relate God's Word intact.  All it accomplishes
is declaring some (sinful) person's interpretation infallible, which
I am not willing to do.

You were right when you said that God didn't need fallible people to
clarify his word -- but the Bible he has given us is rife with words
that don't translate, and metaphors that get lost under literalistic
English interpretation.  God may not *need* us to clarify his word,
but He has shown that he *wants* us to engage in the effort, by making
the Bible the way it is.

Maybe we're supposed to learn something from the process that we
couldn't learn from having the book handed to us already complete.

Surely God can use fallible manuscripts to teach fallible people,
n'est-ce pas?

kilroy@cs.umd.edu          Darren F. Provine          ...uunet!mimsy!kilroy
"All language is ambiguous.  All artful language is MULTIPLY ambiguous."
                                                  -- Michael L. Siemon

davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) (10/23/89)

In article <Oct.18.17.49.19.1989.2854@athos.rutgers.edu> kilroy@mimsy.umd.edu (Darren F. Provine) writes:
>Maybe we're supposed to learn something from the process that we
>couldn't learn from having the book handed to us already complete.
God has written the Bible in the way He has so that only those whom He
wishes to save can begin to understand its real message. Mark 4:11-12
says "And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery
of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all {these}
things are done in parables: That seeing they may see, and not
perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any
time they should be converted, and {their} sins should be forgiven
them.".

We may not like this very much, but the fact that God has even bothered
to give us sinful and rebellious people the Bible complete with all of
His warnings, offers and promises is far more than we deserve anyway.
Let us be greatful and thankful for what we have and do our best to be
as truthful as possible to it. We ought never use the apparent
difficulties in the understanding of any given passage as a means to
ignore what God is telling us. If we are not expending every possible
effort not only to understand what God is saying but also to sincerely
desire that it become our way of life then we are not really
recognizing Jesus as the Lord of our lives. Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 says
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his
commandments: for this {is} the whole {duty} of man. For God shall
bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether {it
be} good, or whether {it be} evil.".

    Dave Mielke, 613-726-0014
    856 Grenon Avenue
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    K2B 6G3

kilroy@mimsy.umd.edu (Darren F. Provine) (10/25/89)

In article <Oct.22.13.42.46.1989.25372@athos.rutgers.edu>
bnr-fos!bmers58!davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) writes something
that shows he didn't understand my earlier article:

> [ Dave points out that God didn't have to give us the Bible at all. ]
>
>Let us be greatful and thankful for what we have and do our best to be
>as truthful as possible to it. We ought never use the apparent
>difficulties in the understanding of any given passage as a means to
>ignore what God is telling us. If we are not expending every possible
>effort not only to understand what God is saying but also to sincerely
>desire that it become our way of life then we are not really
>recognizing Jesus as the Lord of our lives.

Dave, I'm sure you don't intend it, but the way I read this is rather
insulting.

Your article suggests that I am ungrateful for the Scriptures God has
given us, or that I'm not interested in learning from them because of
the problems encountered.  Let me assure you, both of these ideas are
wrong.

I do not disagree with you because I have some hidden agenda against
the Bible, or because I want to make excuses and do things I know are
immoral.

I disagree with you because I don't believe that your interpretation
is correct.

I feel that your method of interpreting Scripture is not well-considered,
and that your interpretation of 1 Corinthians 7:1 illustrates exactly
what is wrong with your method.

The KJV may seem to support your position, as it appears to have been
written in plain English.  But I think a more thorough examination of
everything that goes into this leads to a different conclusion than the
one you've reached.

Consider the following:

a) The KJV was written several centuries ago, and the English language
   is not the same now as it was then.  (I offer as evidence the fact
   that most editions of Shakespeare's plays currently published come
   with notes that explain what many of the words and idioms mean, and
   that most people cannot fully understand the plays without them.)

   This disparity in language means that what seems like `plain English'
   may in fact be an idiom or expression that actually meant something
   else when it was written.

b) The word in question, `touch', has numerous definitions in modern
   English (my dictionary lists 42).

c) _Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament_ has 7 column-
   inches on the word Paul used, illustrating that there was no single
   locked-down meaning at the time; further, Thayer mentions that when
   used with the word translated `woman' it refers to "carnal intercourse
   with a woman, or cohabitation", and lists 1 Corinthians 7:1 as an
   instance of this usage.

-=-=-

In other words, Dave, my evaluation comes up the same -- in the absence
of evidence that you are a trained translator, I must conclude that you
don't have the experience or knowledge that is required to make an
interpretation like this.  And since the people who do have the necessary
experience disagree with you, your interpretation loses out.

You are apparently basing your understanding on a literal reading of a
language you don't really speak, and you are ignoring the advice of Christian
scholars who have studied Greek and are trained translators.

And your position on this passage demonstrates exactly what I said in my
last article:  a word-for-word translation lends itself to
misunderstandings, because people read the words but don't know what they
are intended to mean.

-=-=-

Please note that I do not claim to be a qualified translator myself,
but that I am only citing the opinions of scholars from books I own.

If there are any people who know Greek well (Michael Siemon comes to
mind), and who wish to point out my mistakes, I welcome their comments.

kilroy@cs.umd.edu          Darren F. Provine          ...uunet!mimsy!kilroy
"It is also important to note that although certain meanings of a word in
 one language are sometimes translatable into a word in another language
 there are very few if any words in two languages that are the same for all
 their meanings." -- R. Lado, _Linguistics Across Cultures -- Applied_
 _Linguistics For Language Teachers_, pp 84-85

davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) (10/27/89)

In article <Oct.25.05.20.31.1989.24936@athos.rutgers.edu>
kilroy@mimsy.umd.edu (Darren F. Provine) writes:
>You are apparently basing your understanding on a literal reading of a
>language you don't really speak, and you are ignoring the advice of Christian
>scholars who have studied Greek and are trained translators.

For the record, I not only freely, but also thankfully, admit that I
have very few, if any, earthly qualifications that would give
credibility to the positions I hold. I ask you, though, where the Bible
teaches that great earthly knowledge is the key to its understanding. 1
Corinthians 1:26-29 says "For ye see your calling, brethren, how that
not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble,
{are called}: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to
confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to
confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and
things which are despised, hath God chosen, {yea}, and things which are
not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in
his presence.".

    Dave Mielke, 613-726-0014
    856 Grenon Avenue
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    K2B 6G3

dtate@unix.cis.pitt.edu (David M Tate) (11/10/89)

In article <Oct.27.04.29.54.1989.20707@athos.rutgers.edu> bnr-fos!bmers58!davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) writes:

>For the record, I not only freely, but also thankfully, admit that I
>have very few, if any, earthly qualifications that would give
>credibility to the positions I hold. I ask you, though, where the Bible
>teaches that great earthly knowledge is the key to its understanding. 1

I shall endeavor not to become abusive or uncivil in this reply.  God give
me strength.

Mr. Mielke, if no earthly knowledge is necessary for you to understand just
what God wants you understand when you read the Bible, then why do you need
a translation at all?  I should think that you could simply read the Greek,
Hebrew, and Aramaic, and let the Spirit make sense of it for you.  Once you
deny that you (your own frail human self) are doing *any* of the interpretive
work, there is no *reason* to have a Bible at all!

I am not intending to be sarcastic; this is the actual (absurd) consequence
of the argument you present.

I cannot understand how anyone, given of God the miraculous (literally!) tool
that is the human intellect, and its unprecedented and miraculous ability to
actually ALTER THE FUTURE by FREE ACTS OF WILL, could sit smugly by and say
"My intellect is irrelevant to my understanding of God's will".

Please accept these words in the spirit of love in which they are intended.

David M. Tate

davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) (11/15/89)

In article <Nov.10.02.34.34.1989.11690@athos.rutgers.edu> dtate@unix.cis.pitt.edu (David M Tate) writes:
>I am not intending to be sarcastic; this is the actual (absurd) consequence
>of the argument you present.

Your entire reply has a very logical aura about it, but it has failed
to answer my question. I shall, therefore, ask it again. Where do the
Scriptures teach that great earthly wisdom is beneficial when it comes
to their interpretation? You will find no such statement anywhere in
the entire Bible. YOu will, however, find several Scriptures that state
exactly the opposite. 1 Corinthians 2:14 says "But the natural man
receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness
unto him: neither can he know {them}, because they are spiritually
discerned.". Proverbs 3:5-6 says "Trust in the LORD with all thine
heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways
acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.".

I would also like to point out that a serious flaw in the belief that
we need earthly wisdom to understand the Scriptures is that no baby
could ever be saved. It would also preclude the saving of adults who,
for one reason or another, possess severely impaired mental abilities.
Fortunately God is not a respecter of persons and our salvation does
not depend on our own individual abilities.

You asked why we need a Bible at all if we do not need to possess
earthly wisdom? I can think of at least two reasons. The first is that
God wants the unsaved of this world to be confronted with His truths so
that they cannot claim that they were left in the dark and so that He
can clearly demonstrate that they cannot be understood by anyone other
than those whom He has elected. The second is that the Bible provides a
way for us to verify that we are doing God's will after we permit our
thoughts to be tainted by all the sin that is going on around us and
within our flesh.

    Dave Mielke, 613-726-0014
    856 Grenon Avenue
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    K2B 6G3

garys@decvax.uucp (Gary M. Samuelson) (11/20/89)

In article <Nov.15.03.35.42.1989.12004@athos.rutgers.edu> bnr-fos!bmers58!davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) writes:

>In article <Nov.10.02.34.34.1989.11690@athos.rutgers.edu> dtate@unix.cis.pitt.edu (David M Tate) writes:
>>I am not intending to be sarcastic; this is the actual (absurd) consequence
>>of the argument you present.

>Your entire reply has a very logical aura about it, but it has failed
>to answer my question. I shall, therefore, ask it again. Where do the
>Scriptures teach that great earthly wisdom is beneficial when it comes
>to their interpretation?

Intelligence, like everything else we have, is a gift from God.
And, like everything else we have been given, I believe that God
expects us to use it as good stewards.  In Paul's discourses on
gifts in I Corinthians and Ephesians, he points out that not everyone
has the same gift(s), but that each person should use the gift God
has given.

"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman who needeth not
to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." I Tim 4:2 (or
is it II Tim 4:2?)

"Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said"
I Cor 14:?)

Also in I Corinthians, note what Paul said to the brethren who were
taking each other to court.  Essentially, he asked if there was no
one among them with enough wisdom or understanding to judge between
brothers, such that they had to resort to an ungodly court.

"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives to all without
reproach." James 1:?

>You will find no such statement anywhere in the entire Bible.

I automatically mistrust any argument that requires knowing the
entire Bible all at once.  Unless you have memorized the whole
Bible, and have instant and perfect recall, not to mention a
perfect understanding of every word therein, and in fact have a
great deal of the earthly wisdom you say you reject, you cannot
know for certainty that no such statement is anywhere in the Bible.
For the statement which you say is not there may be in the one
passage which you have not memorized, or may not understand perfectly.

>You will, however, find several Scriptures that state
>exactly the opposite. 1 Corinthians 2:14 says "But the natural man
>receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness
>unto him: neither can he know {them}, because they are spiritually
>discerned.". Proverbs 3:5-6 says "Trust in the LORD with all thine
>heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways
>acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.".

You seem to be cutting out your own support from under you.
What would you do if I told you that your argument sounds very well
reasoned?  Would you thank me for the compliment, or repent?

Put another way, how can I know that you are not leaning on your
own understanding when you try to explain what these passages mean?
How can you know that I am leaning on my own understanding if I
say that you misunderstand what these passages mean?

>I would also like to point out that a serious flaw in the belief that
>we need earthly wisdom to understand the Scriptures is that no baby
>could ever be saved.

Babies don't need to be saved.  "Take heed that ye despise not one of these
little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always
behold the face of my Father which is in heaven. (Mt 18:10)"

>It would also preclude the saving of adults who,
>for one reason or another, possess severely impaired mental abilities.

See above.

>Fortunately God is not a respecter of persons and our salvation does
>not depend on our own individual abilities.

True enough.  But God gave us those abilities, and will require an
accounting regarding how we used them.

>You asked why we need a Bible at all if we do not need to possess
>earthly wisdom? I can think of at least two reasons.

You are cutting your own support again.  By your own claim, we must
not put any stock into anything that starts, "I [] think," but only
what starts with, "The Lord says."

>The first is that
>God wants the unsaved of this world to be confronted with His truths so
>that they cannot claim that they were left in the dark and so that He
>can clearly demonstrate that they cannot be understood by anyone other
>than those whom He has elected.

That is self-contradictory.  If it is true that God's truths cannot
be understood by anyone other than those whom he has elected, then
the unsaved of this world can certainly claim that they were left in
the dark.

If God's truths cannot be understood by anyone other than the elect,
then we cannot know if we *are* the elect, since we will not be able
to understand the God's truths unless we are of the elect.

Of course, anything I say you can reject on the grounds that I am
leaning on my own understanding.  Convenient.

Gary Samuelson

an read the letters to the churches in
Revelation and not conclude that some of them were about to
throw away their salvation.

More on that later.

Gary Samuelson

davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) (11/24/89)

In article <Nov.19.14.48.14.1989.13825@athos.rutgers.edu> bunker!garys@decvax.uucp (Gary M. Samuelson) writes:
>Babies don't need to be saved.  "Take heed that ye despise not one of these
>little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always
>behold the face of my Father which is in heaven. (Mt 18:10)"
You cannot prove that babies do not need to be saved with this passage.
If you believe that this passage is referring to all babies, since this
passage says that their angels ALWAYS behold the face of God, and since
ALWAYS has no end, then no person would ever die unsaved. Since the
Scriptures declare that, in the end, there will be more unsaved people
than saved people, we know that this cannot be a correct
interpretation.

This passage, like all other passages, must be taken in context. A few
verses earlier Jesus defines which little children He is referring to.
He uses the phrase "these little children which believe in me". The
verse you quote is saying that a baby who believes in Him will never
lose his salvation. It is not, however, saying that all little children
believe in Him.

A search through the rest of the Bible reveals that there are no
Scriptures whatsoever which declare that babies need not be saved.
There are, on the other hand, plenty of Scriptures that declare babies
to be just as sinful as anyone else.

Romans 3:23 says "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of
God;". The word "all" is very significant here. If you are correct then
babies are not included in the term "all". This would leave us with the
conclusion that babies are not people. I think we would agree that this
is an obviously incorrect conclusion, yet it is what your position
mandates.

Psalm 51:5 says "Behold, I was shapen in iniquity, and in sin did my
mother conceive me.". This Scripture is telling me that God considered
me to be a sinner already at the moment in which I was conceived. This
occurred when I was younger than what most people would refer to as a
baby. Since I know that I was saved much later than that, I know that I
must, therefore, have been unsaved as a baby.

I would like to draw your attention to a passage in Genesis which is
too long to quote here. I shall recount the story and trust that this
approach will suffice. It is the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. The
evening before God estroyed both of these cities He told Abraham what
He planned to do. Abraham, knowing that his nephew Lot lived there,
began to plead for the preservation of those cities. The end result of
this pleading was that God promised that He would not destroy them if
there were only ten righteous people in them. We know that God did
destroy those cities after forcing Lot, his wife, and their two
daughters to leave. If babies do not need to be saved then there could
not have been more than ten babies in those two rather large cities.
This is so improbable that it defies acceptance.

Another equivalent passage that demonstrates the same truth is that of
the flood. The Scriptures are very clear that all those whom God viewed
as righteous, i.e. all those who were saved, were on the arc. The only
occupants of the arc were Noah, his wife, their three sons and their
wives. None of them were babies as they were all married. If your
conclusion that babies do not need to be saved is true then there must
have been no babies alive anywhere at that time. This, too, is so
improbable that it defies acceptance.

You have tried to make a bit of a mockery regarding my very Scriptural
claim that we ought not lean on our own understanding. Your statement
that babies do not need to be saved, however, helps me illustrate what
I mean by that statement. You have taken one Scripture, perhaps you
have a couple more, which you then apply your earthly intelligence to
and come up with a conclusion. My approach is to always doubt every
conclusion that I come up with until I am sure that there are no
contradictory statements to it in the entire Bible. This often involves
my not holding a firm position on an issue for a very long time. I keep
all sorts of scenarios in mind as I read through the Bible and slowly
eliminate the ones which the verses which I encounter disprove.
Eventually, perhaps after a year or more, I am left with the single
scenario that fits all of Scripture. Even though my Scriptural recall
is far inferior to what I would like it to be, I then fervently
proclaim what I have discovered by leaning solely on the Scriptures
because I know that I have not encountered even one verse that
disproves it.

    Dave Mielke, 613-726-0014
    856 Grenon Avenue
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada