[net.lan] Ethernet Monitor

rochez@cernvax.UUCP (rochez) (10/08/85)

  On our large site we have several Ethernets that are
  interconnected via MAC level bridges on a backbone network.
  On these LAN's different protocols are used :
     TCP/IP , DECNET , COSMOS , etc...
  We expect to add in ISO protocols , plus (perhaps) XNS .

 I am SEARCHING for a portable monitoring system able to :

   * Execute all basic monitoring functions like  error ,
     traffic statistics, reflection , report any faults ....
   * Monitor traffic from a specific user , if possible to
     check the correctness of his protocol.
   * Act as a traffic generator for any protocol .
   * Force collisions for test purposes.

 We have already an ICL monitor (not very portable) and an
 IBM/PC with the 3 COM board and the MIT package.

 Can anyone point us to a product that fits more or less our
 wish list ?

 Please reply via UUCP directly to me.  I will post a summary if I
 get useful information .

	      Jacques Rochez  (rochez@cernvax)

scarter@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (Stephen M. Carter) (10/09/85)

In article <224@cernvax.UUCP> rochez@cernvax.UUCP () writes:

> I am SEARCHING for a portable monitoring system able to :
>
>   * Execute all basic monitoring functions like  error ,
>     traffic statistics, reflection , report any faults ....
>   * Monitor traffic from a specific user , if possible to
>     check the correctness of his protocol.
>   * Act as a traffic generator for any protocol .
>   * Force collisions for test purposes.
>
> Can anyone point us to a product that fits more or less our
> wish list ?
>
> Please reply via UUCP directly to me.  I will post a summary if I

ahh, great question.  Can I get a copy of any responses as well..

-SCarter
uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!scarter
arpa:   SCARTER@RUTGERS or SCARTER@RED.RUTGERS.EDU

menges@unc.UUCP (John Menges) (11/19/85)

Back in July, I posted this message:

    >I'm wanting to gather some statistics on the utilization of our
    >ethernets, and would like to know if anyone out there is aware of a
    >reasonable way of doing this.  I'm thinking of something like a box
    >that will sit on the ethernet and gather statistics on network traffic,
    >reporting its accumulated statistics on request via a serial line.
    >I'm aware that this information is available on a per-host basis
    >via netstat, but would like to find a method that's a bit less unwieldy.
    >Please respond directly to menges@unc, and I will post a summary.

Here is a summary of the responses I received.  I don't yet have any
comments of my own, as I'm just now getting around to following up
on this.

The INTEL 82586 Ethernet co-processor coupled with a
microprocessor would be able to do the trick for you.
The 82586 is designed to work closely with the 81086 uP
but other processors could be used.

The 82586 utilizes DMA into system memory and signals
the system processor when a packet has arrived.  he 82586
has a promiscus mode that will listen to all packets
on the Ehternet!

Good Luck!

BIll Retzner
ihnp4!ihlpg!retzner
From BRL.ARPA!ron@seismo

Interlan and Excelan both make ethernet monitoring equipment.
You might like to take a look at the Excelan Nutcracker. This is the best known
of the current Ethernet monitors -- its prime fault is that it is a packaged
"workstation" that may only be used for the monitoring function.

--
UUCP:  ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!david
DARPA: david%lancs.comp@ucl-cs	| Post: University of Lancaster,

Try the Excelan Nutcracker. This is an ethernet monitor that is programmable.
The user language is really horrible and ill-designed. But you can code it
to monitor traffic to certain addresses or group of addresses. I used one
to bring up TCP/IP with a 4.2 port. The user interface really stinks, but
they seem to be the only game in town. Last time I talked with them, they
indicated that they were redoing it (Jan 1985). Their address is:

			Excelan
			2180 Fortune Drive
			San Jose, CA  95131
			(408) 945-9526
From: hao!boulder!tim@seismo (Timothy J. Gardner)

You should get in contact with someone in the Network Performance Measurement
Group at the National Bureau of Standards, Gaithersburg, Md.  Rob Rosenthal
is the manager of the group.  This group has done extensive performance
measurements of several networks, 802.2 being one of them.  The current
network being measured is 802.4 (token bus).  Measurement techniques used
involve building traffic generators and/or network exercisers to load the
network and then monitoring the network using a passive network monitor.
Data collected from the monitor is passed on to a program that tracks the
network protocol and creates a set of stastical data.  This data is then
passed on to an analysis and display program.  The phone number of the
group is (301) 921-3516.  There has been many articles and papers written
about work this group has done and they will be more than happy to point
you in the direction of some of them.

		Timothy Gardner
		University of Colorado, Boulder
From: jbn@wdl1.UUCP

       Excelan has a nice box that does this, the Excelan Nutcracker,
but it is overpriced at $49K.  The MIT software for the IBM PC has some nice
logging and statistics facilities, and at $12 for the object and $75 for
the source, plus $650 to 3COM for the Ethernet controller, it's a bargain.

					John Nagle
From: robert@cheviot.uucp (Robert Stroud)

Spider Systems produce an Ethernet monitor which sells for 4618 pounds.
It knows about the format of IP, XNS and ISO packets and can be used
to trace packets that match a particular pattern. A nice feature is the
ability to use local host names instead of Ethernet addresses. It can
also collect statistics, draw usage graphs, generate traffic, and test
the connectivity of the network.

We saw a demonstration the other day and liked it a lot, not least
because it tracked down a long-standing mysterious bug very quickly!
In fact we liked it so much we're going to buy one.

As a relatively new product, it is only available in the UK at present.

For further information contact...

	Spider Systems Limited,
	65 Bonnington Road,
	Edinburgh,