[soc.religion.christian] Aristotelian Philosphy

coatta@cs.ubc.ca (Terry Coatta) (11/30/89)

J. Buehler writes:

>Eventually, transubstantiation was expounded, when the philosophy of
>Aristotle was re-discovered in Europe.  And the Church started to think,
>"hey, this fits in pretty well with my idea of the Sacrament."  And
>eventually, there was the "AHA!  *That's* it!  That sums up my
>historical thinking on the matter *exactly*!"

And so, implicitly, the Church acknowledges that the context of Aristotelian
philosophy is a necessary part of the Faith.

As Aristotelian philosophy is not, to my knowledge, taught as a standard
component of Catholic religious education, and as the majority of
so-called Catholics (myself included) either implicitly or explicitly
reject it as a means of categorizing, explaining, etc. I'd say there is
a substantial rift between common Catholic belief and Catholic doctrine.

Am I making some unwarranted assumptions somewhere?  If not, how can the
Church ask that I accept as meaningful terms like ``substance'' or ``accident''
which simply do NOT have any meaning to me (they are symbols or sounds
which signify nothing to me).

Terry Coatta
Dept. of Computer Science, UBC, Vancouver BC, Canada
coatta@cs.ubc.ca

`What I lack in intelligence, I more than compensate for with stupidity'