[soc.religion.christian] Jews - Our Christian Attitude

davidbu@tekigm2.men.tek.com (David Buxton) (11/29/89)

There are a number of topics where Christians find it easy to offer a
contrast of how Christianity is superior to Judaism.  I should make
that more personal - there are a number of topics where I find myself
using words that put down the Jews.  Personally, I wish I knew more
Jews and wish I had more Jewish friends.  And yet I say these things.
It is a dilemma - how to go about talking about the various topics
relevent to the time of Christ here on earth, especially the death of
Jesus, and not appear to condemn the Jew of today and not hold a grudge
against the Jew of Christ's day?  Clearly Jesus called out to His Father
and said - "Forgive them for they know not what they do".  It is clear
to me that Jesus would not be at all pleased with me if I held any
grudge againts any Jew, especially if any resentment focused upon the
cross and the day Jesus died.  The problem remains.  How to speak of
these things without sounding negative on Jews?  Christianity, not
having solved this problem, has turned away more Jews from Christ than
anything else that Christians do.  Turning the question back to myself:
How can I speak of these topics without offending the Jews?  How can I
dialog with a Jew about Christianity without turning him off?  There
certainly are understandable reasons why Jews are not very enthusiastic
about Christians and why a Jew might not be very enthusiastic about
me.  I have no glib pat answers.  It is easy to simply appologize and
hope that solves the problem.  But the problem is bigger than that.

We have a Jesus who grew up a Jew and died a Jew.  Consider the crowds
who loved Him and the few who did not.  We can say the 'leadership'
did it - the 'establishment' did it.  Is that a decent answer?  I
don't know.  I have a Jesus that I would like every Jew to meet in the
same way that the Jews met Him on the hills and lakes of Galilee, and
the other regions that Jesus visited.  The vast multitude clearly
loved Him and a few did not.

The Jew has stood at the grave side of each of their enemies.  Clearly
God still holds His protecting hand over the Jew - both spiritual Jews
and and Jews by birth.  God is not at all pleased with me if I speak
against the Jews.

The problem remains.  How to speak of these topics without being
negative on Jews?  A topic that I am considering for posting has to
do with the covenants, especially the Messianic Covenants, and then
on to the millenium which I believe will be in heaven.  How do I
discuss these conditional covenants and the millenium without sounding
negative on Jews?  A tough question with no easy answers.

I would very much appreciate it if any Jews that might read this would
be willing to strike up a dialog with me.  Give me some pointers on
how I can discuss these topics without offense and please take the
time to be my friend.  I would like to be your friend.

Dave (David E. Buxton)

davidbu@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM

[My inclination is that the proper characterization is "the
establishment".  I think the best Christian piety on the subject of
the Crucifixion has always assumed that in killing Christ, the
government of that time represented the human race as a whole.  I.e.
that if he came to the modern world, we would kill him.  Unfortunately
I'm working in the middle of a student terminal room (a due date is
tomorrow morning, and I'm helping people) so I don't have my books
nearby.  But I recall the passion chorale that appears in the St.
Matthew Passion and elsewhere says "I crucified thee".  --clh]

ejalbert@phoenix.princeton.edu (Edmund Jason Albert) (11/30/89)

A good way of solving this problem (and I speak as a current
Episcopalian and former Jew) is to realize that there are certain
inaccuracies in the Biblical record.  The Sanhedrin could not have
possibly met when claimed in the New Testament because it would have
been during the holiday of Passover.  The record probably got distorted
since the gospels at the earliest were written around AD 70, when there
was Jewish persecution of Christians due to the latter's refusal to join
in the revolt against Rome.  This led to an anti-Semitism among the
Christians of that day which is unfortunately reflected in the gospels.

I would say that for today's Jews the main problem is not the Bible, but
rather the persecution they have endured at the hands of Christians in
medieval and modern times.  For instance, the National Front in Hungary,
which is currently the main opposition group, has exhibited anti-Semitic
tendencies, and lest we forget, Hungary was allied with Hitler.
Incidents such as these cause Jewish suspicion of Christians, and
rightly so.

Jason Albert
Princeton University

[I certainly do not want to be understood as supporting Biblical
inerrancy.  But I don't see any problem with the meeting of the
Sanhedrin.  First, there is some serious question about the
relationship between the crucifixion and passover.  If you accept
John's chronology, Jesus was arrested and tried the day before
passover (Jn 13:1).  Second, it may not have been a full-dress
official meeting. In John, it looks like a meeting of the High Priest
and some cronies.  Even in Mark, it could be interpreted as a an
unofficial hearing.  Note that they didn't pass an official verdict,
but turned him over to the Romans.  Finally, if they viewed it as a
sufficiently serious emergency, the Sanhedrin might have been willing
to meet in any case.  There's a standard list of illegalities about
the trial.  However these are based on Talmudic information from
somewhat later.  In 30 A.D. the Sanhedrin was in a very different
situation than after the destruction of Jerusalem.  There are several
reasons why it might have operated more informally than the Talmudic
descriptions.  --clh]

phys-bb@garnet.berkeley.edu (12/04/89)

[David Buxton asked how one can talk about Jesus' trial without making
comments about "the Jews" that seem to condemn Jews of today.
>Consider the crowds who loved Him and the few who did not.  We can say
>the 'leadership' did it - the 'establishment' did it.  Is that a
>decent answer?
--clh]

I think the best way to talk about Jesus and who it was that condemned
him, and of the prophets and who it was who condemned them, etc., is
to talk about the Religious Establishment.  In Jesus's day and place
the religious establishment was Judaism, but not today.  In the Middle Ages
the religious establishment in Western Europe was the Roman
Catholic Church, but much much less so today.  Today in the U.S. the
establishment is harder to define, but it's still there.  Any institution
that claims to have its roots in "Thus says the word of the Lord" and yet
has grown too big and has become rooted actually in the world rather than
in God's word is a religious establishment gone haywire.
phys-bb@garnet.berkeley.edu	/  ". . .into the narrow lanes,        \
(John Warren)			    I can't stumble or stay put. . ."
				\		-- Dylan	       /

ez000585@castor.ucdavis.edu (Jason Gabler) (12/04/89)

In article <Nov.30.03.21.41.1989.19364@athos.rutgers.edu> ejalbert@phoenix.princeton.edu (Edmund Jason Albert) writes:

>(and I speak as a current Episcopalian and former Jew)

I am a Christian..
Born in LI Jewish Hospital, circumcised on the 8th day and BarMitzvah'd at 13yrs
and Accepted Jesus at 10yrs
But I am definately not NOT Jewish.

Remember "Christian" means "follower of Christ" , not Gentile".

>A good way of solving this problem is to realize that there are certain
>inaccuracies in the Biblical record.  The Sanhedrin could not have
>possibly met when claimed in the New Testament because it would have
>been during the holiday of Passover.  The record probably got distorted
>since the gospels at the earliest were written around AD 70, when there
>was Jewish persecution of Christians due to the latter's refusal to join
>in the revolt against Rome.  This led to an anti-Semitism among the
>Christians of that day which is unfortunately reflected in the gospels.

My belief is that conceptually and historically, the Bibile is correct; they
both go hand, usually.
Also, not only is this prophecy, but the Sanhedrin wanted Jesus out REALLY BAD.
They had finally got Him, why take a chance of him getting away?  If they were
right, then putting Jesus away was Gods will, correct?  Jesus was about to
cause a great upset in the Jewish religion and further separate the Jews from
one another.  With the ability to stop such a catastrophe by an emergency
metting, even in Passover (which is not one of the holiest holidays) , I do not
think it would stop them.

>I would say that for today's Jews the main problem is not the Bible, but
>rather the persecution they have endured at the hands of Christians in
>medieval and modern times.

I highly disagree!  The persecution created the Diaspora and that is what
has kept the jews so close a people.  It cause the Jews to refrain
from intermarrying.  Hatred and separation has kept the Jews "spiritually"
(or may I say religiously) one people, even though they are scattered
throughout the world.

Jason Gabler
ccjason@castor.ucdavis.edu

lih@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) (12/08/89)

In article <Nov.30.03.21.41.1989.19364@athos.rutgers.edu> ejalbert@phoenix.princeton.edu (Edmund Jason Albert) writes:

>inaccuracies in the Biblical record.  The Sanhedrin could not have
>possibly met when claimed in the New Testament because it would have
>been during the holiday of Passover.  The record probably got distorted
>since the gospels at the earliest were written around AD 70, when there
>was Jewish persecution of Christians due to the latter's refusal to join
>in the revolt against Rome.  This led to an anti-Semitism among the
>Christians of that day which is unfortunately reflected in the gospels.
>
>Jason Albert
>Princeton University

Interesting that you raised this point, since my paper topic is on the
Trial of Jesus before the Sanhedrin.  It has been argued by several
scholars that the account of the trial in Matthew and Mark is probably
quite inaccurate in parts.  Most importantly, Jesus never claimed
anything that could have been charged as blasphemous; Jesus' comments
certianly were preposterous to the Jewish leaders, but would not have
been considered blasphemous.  Mark and Matthew claim that the
Sanhedrin accused Jesus of blasphemy, however the punishment for
blasphemy was stoning.  Why was Jesus not stoned then?

Scholars point more to Luke's account, where Jesus was not accused of
blasphemy, and probably did not face the Sanhedrin, but a private
interrogation by the high priest Caiaphas and the scribes.  After
interrogating Jesus, they brought him to Pilate so that he [Pilate]
might find Jesus guilty of an uprising against the Roman government.

""""""""""     /							    \
|  @  @  |     | Andrew "Fuz" Lih	Columbia University Center           |
<    >   > ___/   Academic Computing	 for Computing Activities            |
 \ \__/ / <___                                                               /
  \____/      \    lih@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu    AJLUS@CUVMB.BITNET         /
	       \    lih@cs.columbia.edu     ...rutgers!columbia!cunixc!lih |
                \__________________________________________________________/

hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) (12/08/89)

In article <Dec.3.12.46.20.1989.23154@athos.rutgers.edu> ez000585@castor.ucdavis.edu (Jason Gabler) writes:

>I am a Christian..
>Born in LI Jewish Hospital, circumcised on the 8th day and BarMitzvah'd at 13yrs
>and Accepted Jesus at 10yrs
>But I am definately not NOT Jewish.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, if you mean you are not of
Jewish descent or if you mean not of the Jewish religion.  However
this triggers some thoughts for me:

Actually it appears to me that in New Testament times the Christians
were not arguing against Judism but were saying effectively,
"Christianity is the particular sect of Judism you should accept."
For example, Rom 2:28-29 indicates that the important thing is to be
a Jew inwardly in the heart, not outwardly in the (circumcised)
flesh.  Rev 2:9 and 3:9 both refer to those who say they are Jews
and are not but are of "the synogogue of Satan."    I believe the
early Christians thought of themselves as Jewish.  Even the Gentile
Christians seemed to think of themselves as of a Jewish religion
which is the reason for the controversy over circumcision (Acts 15
etc.).

It seems to me that the question was not "Judism or Christianity"
but "Which branch of Judism:  Christian, Saducee, Pharise, or
Essene?"  The message of early Christianity seems to be, "This is
true Judism to follow the Messiah who has now come to earth, even
Jesus Christ."  In this sense all Christians can consider themselves
Jews, at least in religious belief.  I would consider the main
branches of Judism today to be Orthodox, Reformed, Conservative,
and Christian.

Perhaps if we thought of ourselves this way we would find it easier
to understand and communicate with our fellow Jews and thus help
answer Dave's original question.

[I think you missed the double negative in Jason's original.

At any rate, I am not convinced that claiming to be Jewish is going to
increase communications with Jews.  Certainly the original Christians
were Jewish.  I agree that it started with the orientation you
describe.  But we did come to a parting of the ways.  The original
separation of the Church from Judaism was very painful, and many
Christians tried to avoid it.  But there are enough differences in
perspective that it's hard to see how it could have been avoided.  I
think it's too late to undo the separation.  We certainly should
understand our Jewish heritage, we should think of Jews as fellow
members of the Kingdom of God, etc.  But I think for us to claim that
Christianity is a branch of Judaism is inviting something between
incredulity and resentment.  --clh]

jygabler@ucdavis.edu (Jason Gabler) (12/11/89)

I wrote.....

hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) writes:

>I'm not sure exactly what you mean here.....

What i meant was... or that is, to me David seemed to be saying, "Now that I
have accepted Christ, I am no longer a Jew."   I was giving a rebutle of
his state through my own experience/feelings.  I was born into a jewish family,
raised as a Jew, and at a young age accepted Christ; I like to think of it
as fuffilling my Jewishness :) .  How much better the Jewish aspects of my
life are with Jesus as part of them.  I felt that David was missing out on
a very special privilage (ahem, excuse me...) of being Jewish.

>Actually it appears to me that in New Testament times the Christians
>were not arguing against Judism but were saying effectively,
>"Christianity is the particular sect of Judism you should accept."
>It seems to me that the question was not "Judism or Christianity"
>but "Which branch of Judism:  Christian, Saducee, Pharise, or
>Essene?"  The message of early Christianity seems to be, "This is
>true Judism to follow the Messiah who has now come to earth, even
>Jesus Christ."  In this sense all Christians can consider themselves

BINGO  !!!!

Our Scholarly Moderator said:
>At any rate, I am not convinced that claiming to be Jewish is going to
>increase communications with Jews.

This is also true.  I have heard of passages in the Talmud ( though it may be
a fable that they are there) that Jesus is not on the 'bed of roses' side
of Abraham's Bosom.  Jews consider themselves very different from Christians,
and take it offensively to be compared so.  As a side note: When sharing Christ
with Jews, be cautious as to not offend them in this way. If and when they learn
to trust in Jesus, the connection between Christianity and Judaism will become
quite clear.

In Christ,

Jason Gabler

Jason Gabler
Data Communications Group, Computing Services, UC Davis,  Davis CA
ccjason@castor.ucdavis.edu    jygabler@ucdavis.edu     edu!ucdavis!jygabler
Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord, rather than men. ><>