[soc.religion.christian] comments on contradictory Resurrection accounts

jeffjs@ihlpb.att.com (12/11/89)

J.B. Phillips, in _Your God Is Too Small_, writes something like this
(approximate quote from memory):

	The lack of careful mutual endorsement of the Resurrection accounts
	is to one side a proof of their slipshod and even imaginative nature,
	while to the other side it indicates that they were written by people
	so totally convinced of the Resurrection that to worry about tiny
	details wouldn't even occur to them.

Actually, for Christians to have skeptics around, and even to deal with
doubts themselves, can be useful.  One Christian writer (Os Guiness?)
has said, "Doubts keep faith trim and help shed the paunchiness of false
ideas."  Frederick Buechner writes, "Doubts are the ants in the pants
of faith.  They keep it awake and moving."  And in C.S. Lewis's novel
_That Hideous Strength_ (volume 3 of the trilogy also including _Out of
the Silent Planet_ and _Perelandra_), the company assembled to battle the
forces of evil deliberately includes a skeptic, and indeed considers that
to be a very important and useful (though sometimes annoying) office.

In conclusion, I'll note one thing which is so obvious that it's easily
ignored or missed:  All four of the Gospels do agree on that most important,
central point, that Jesus did rise from the dead.

-- Jeff Sargent   att!ihlpb!jeffjs (UUCP), jeffjs@ihlpb.att.com (Internet)
AT&T Bell Laboratories   IH 5A-433   (708) [new area code] 979-5284

tom@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Tom Albrecht) (12/15/89)

In article <Dec.11.03.51.26.1989.23588@athos.rutgers.edu>, jeffjs@ihlpb.att.com writes:
> Actually, for Christians to have skeptics around, and even to deal with
> doubts themselves, can be useful.  One Christian writer (Os Guiness?)
> has said, "Doubts keep faith trim and help shed the paunchiness of false
> ideas."  ...

Charles Hodge, in his Systematic Theology, wrote:

	"It would be insane to reject the Bible with all
	 its sublime and saving truths, because there may
	 be in it a few passages which we cannot understand,
	 and which in themselves seem inconsistent with
	 the perfection of the author.  No man refuses to
	 believe in the sun and to rejoice in its light
	 because there are dark spots on its surface for
	 which he cannot account.  Ignorance is a very
	 healthful condition of our present state of being."

--
Tom Albrecht