[soc.religion.christian] Biblical contradiction?

djo@pacbell.com (Dan'l DanehyOakes) (12/15/89)

Time for the Silent Christian to bump heads again...

First, my primary concern is with the Gospels, and I'll suggest a way out of
some of the alleged contradictions there in a minute.  But first a word from
Dave Mielke.

In article <Dec.11.04.30.38.1989.25303@athos.rutgers.edu> bnr-fos!bmers58!davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) writes:
>I believe that perfect harmony throughout the Scriptures is absolutely
>essential to our faith. If we were trusting in a God who could not even
>give us a consistent message then we would be trusting in a flawed God.

Sigh.

Dave, this is putting Descartes before de horse.  For absolute harmony of
Scripture to be "absolutely essential to our faith" would imply that
	1.  Scripture is literally true and inerrant;
	2.  It's been passed down with absolute accuracy through many centuries
	    of human-hand transcription (and, in the case of many parts of the
	    OT, oral tradition before written forms were created);
	3.  The translation we happen to be working with is absolutely
	    accurate.

Note that #s 2 and 3 are necessary even if we accept #1 -- which *NOT* all
Christians do.

>*side note*<  There's going to be *someone* out there who claims that if you
don't believe in the literal and inerrant truth of the Bible you can't "really"
be a Christian.  So let me set forth my working definition of a Christian:  for
me, a Christian is one who can honestly say -- allowing for quibbles about
"sexist terminology" and suchlike -- that they
	"believe in God, the Father almighty, maker of Heaven and
	 Earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only begotten Son, who
	 was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary,
	 suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and
	 was buried; that he descended into Sheol; that on the third
	 day he rose again from the dead; that he descended into
	 Heaven; that he shall come again to judge both the living
	 and the dead and his Kingdom shall have no end.  I believe
	 in the Holy Spirit; the holy Church of all Christians; the
	 Community of Saints; the Forgiving of Sins; the Resurrection
	 of the Dead; and the Life Everlasting."
If you believe all that, you're a Christian, in my book; quibbles about
literalness and predestination are snares set in our path by *youknowwho* to
prevent us from acting in true fellowship and community.  A Christian may think
that predestinarians are hardhearted, or that literal-inerrantists are living in
a dream world:  but to upbraid them with that is not acting in anything like
Christian charity.  >*end of digression*<

So, in the light of my lemma, to insist that flawed Scriptures would imply
that

>we were trusting in a flawed God

is, to my mind, an uncharitable and thus un-Christian position.

Dave, I wouldn't dream of trying to talk you out of your belief that the
Scriptures are completely harmonious:  but please don't insist that we all
accept that belief.  It isn't necessary to salvation.

>We can not be sure of anything at all if we do not have an irrefutable
>source of truthful information.

Well:  we do.  It's called the world.  St. Thomas Aquinas observed that, when
the revelation of the world and that of Scriptures seem to be in contradiction,
we have not understood Scriptures correctly.  Thus, if the empirical evidence
points to a Big Bang and evolution, we are free to reevaluate our understanding
of Genesis -- as many Christians have done.

(And, no, though I admire and revere the wisdom of Aquinas, I am *not* a
Catholic.)

*************

Anyway:  about the Gospels.  Since I've made it clear I'm *not* a literalist,
I may as well state my position on the Gospels:  I believe they're true.  That
is, I believe that they are eyewitness accounts of events that happened in and
around Judaea around AD 30-40.  (No doubt someone out there has much better
evidence of when; I'm not all that interested.  Exact dates are fiddlin'.)

But:  if they're eyewitness accounts, then the actual eyewitnessing doesn't
begin until the calling of the Apostles.  Thus, right off, I've eliminated any
concern I might have about the early life of Christ:  whatever the Evangelists
say about it is hearsay.  It's undoubtedly in large part true, but that it
doesn't agree in details is no shock.

Ah, but what about the parts they *did* witness?

CSLewis gave me the key to this.

Consider eyewitness reports of a car crash:  it's a fairly short-term event, and
the witnesses are questioned shortly thereafter; often within minutes.  Yet
their descriptions often seem to refer to entirely different events.

How strange it would be, then, if four men, who didn't see all the same events,
over a period of a few years, remembered exactly the same story years or even
decades later!  If the Gospels *did* agree on every point, then, we would have
cause to be *most* suspicious -- suspicious that the Evangelists had gotten
together and collaborated to perpetrate their story.  Since there *is* such
apparent disagreement on details, it's clear to me that they *were* each
telling the story as they remembered it.

This gives me more faith in the gospel accounts than in any other ancient
historical account.

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes