[soc.religion.christian] Liberation Theology

hwt@bnr-fos.uucp (Henry Troup) (12/04/89)

In article <Nov.28.23.25.34.1989.24911@athos.rutgers.edu> smith_c@ncsatl.uucp writes:
>...Father Ratzinger got "mugged"
>by liberation theology, I think.  At least, for me, the very idea combining
>biblical and marxist themes to manufacture revolutionary class struggles in
>pursuit of social justice turns my stomach.
>...Social justice first then salvation.
>Communism is inherently evil. ...

I think that one must be a little careful here.  To me, in such places as
most of Latin America, the situation is this:

 There is a small wealthy class, who own 'the means of production'
 there is a very large poor class who are exploited

Something very violent is likely to happen, given these circumstances.

Liberation theology was an attempt to move the Church of Rome from its
historical position (on the side of the rich landowning classes) to the
'right' side - the poor and dispossessed.

I don't think that I need to quote reams of scripture to justify this
end.  What we have left is a discussion about the means to the end.

To the extent that liberation theology embraced terrorism without any
attempt to moderate the tactics of terrorists, it was probably wrong.
But there is an accepted doctrine of 'just war' - all the major Christian
churches have endorsed various wars, at various times.

Abraham Maslow is famous for originating the concept of 'a hierarchy of needs'.\Essentially, until a lower need in the hierarchy is satisfied, no attention
will be given any higher need.  The hierarchy goes something like this:

 - air
 - water
 - food
 - self-actualization

I, at least, view religion as coming somewhere in 'self-actualization'.  When
people are drowning, they have no time for worrying about food, and when
people are exploited they have little time for religion.  Therefore, social
justice before salvation.

Social justice may mean no more than the right to a living wage, and a union.

I've tried to make two points - to encourage social justice is an obligation,
and it is one that churches have been rather poor at.
that churches have been poor

'right
Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions
..utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bmerh490 or  HWT@BNR.CA

crf%basil@princeton.edu (Charles Ferenbaugh) (12/08/89)

In article <Nov.30.03.25.12.1989.19398@athos.rutgers.edu> ejalbert@phoenix.princeton.edu (Edmund Jason Albert) writes:

>... And you believe that liberation theology, which states that Christianity
>is not just for the fortunate but for all, and is an appropriate vehicle
>for social protest against injustice, is not valid?  The people of

We need to be very careful here:  what exactly do you mean by Christianity?
Look at what Jesus called the two greatest commandments: that we should
love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength;
and that we should love our neighbor as ourself.

Now it's clear that anyone who doesn't practice justice among people
is not following the second of these commands.  This would include
the Central American elite described above; I agree that even if
these people call themselves Christians, it's dubious whether they
really are.  BUT it's not right then to say that the Communists are
any better; though they seem to be obeying the second command, they
are flagrantly ignoring the first.

You see, there are two parts to being a Christian, summed up nicely
in the commands above.  One is that we should get our relationship
with God straight, no longer living in rebellion against Him, but
trusting in Him to change our sinful natures into new natures that
are pleasing to Him.  HAVING DONE THAT, the second part is to then
let that new nature affect all our dealings with the people around us.
Neither of these can stand without the other.  Because we are fallen
creatures, we can't do the second without the first; but if the second
doesn't occur, we can be fairly sure that the first didn't happen either.
(Compare Ephesians 2:8-9 with James 2:17.)

Now, for what all this has to do with liberation theology.  It is clear
to me that liberation theology cannot be valid UNLESS it bends over
backward to distinguish itself from all other 'revolutionary'
philosophy, such as Marxism, by emphasizing the first great commandment
as well as the second.  The liberation theology which I have seen
(which, I admit, isn't a whole lot) has failed to do this.

				       - Charles Ferenbaugh

[I got several comments making the same or related points.  I have
chosen this one as representative.  By the way, it might be helpful to
hear from someone who knows what liberation theology actually is.
Comments have been made about Marxism, but I don't know how far
liberation theology goes in that direction.  Marxism as a way of
looking at how power is distributed is one thing.  Marxism-Leninism,
i.e. Communism, is something else.  --clh]

mls@cbnewsm.att.com (12/08/89)

Despite the reservations I expressed:

> That is, the Vatican II statement leads quite easily to liberation theology,
> as well as American and European "democratization" of the Church.  I accede
> to his caution about the concordance of the path within and that of unity,
> and the warning not to arrogate to ourselves the judgment of history.  But

some of what I wrote could be construed as a plea that the Church act as a
political agent.  Even though I am sympathetic to liberation theology, that
is *not* my intent.  I do not want an established church, a church as politcal
party or even a church as wheeler-dealer or power broker as in contemporary
Poland.  That is true whether the political agenda agrees with my own or not.

The social and political implication I draw from communion/unity is a more
complex sort of thing.  It first of all *frees* individual Christians to act
in the world, sustained by their participation in the Body of Christ, and
thus not *bound* by any ideology.  Possession by ideology is the most common
modern form of demon possession, and Christ has power over these demons, too.

But it is an abdication of the Church's responsibility to smile benignly at
all comers to its services and allow itself to be used by secular "authority"
(as it often has since Constantine) to "legitimate" injustice.  The Church's
role, from the beginning, has been the fostering of "widows and orphans" --
namely the socially dispossessed.  This role, and the prophetic presence of
the Church must take precedence over the "needs" of rulers.

Jesus tells us:

	"If you are offering your gift at the altar, and there remember
	that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there
	before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and
	then come and offer your gift.  Make friends quickly with your
	accuser, while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser
	hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you
	be put in prison; truly I say to you, you will never get out till
	you have paid the last penny." -- Matt. 5:32-25

or

	"If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault,
	between you and him alone.  If he listens to you, you have gained
	your brother.  But if he does not listen, take one or two others
	along with you, that every word may be confirmed by the evidence
	of two or three witnesses.  If he refuses to listen to them, tell
	it to the church [assembly]; and if he refuses to listen even to
	the church, let him be to you as [an outsider]." -- Matt. 18:15-17

It is the place of the Church to "prod" the memories (notoriously short)
of the comfortable, when their comfort is built on inequity and power and
the oppression of those whom Jesus, like the prophets, especially attended
to -- the "little ones" who seek justice at the city gates.

Only in extremity does this mean an exclusion of the oppressor from the
community of the people of God.  For some, such as most of us comfortable
Americans, the advice "sell all you have and give it to the poor" is about
the *only* practical advice for extricating ourselves from webs of exploit-
ation we did not ourselves weave, but which nonetheless our daily activity
continues.  *We* need some aid and comfort from the community if we are to
be able to *give* justice, in God's name.  So the Church has a critical
role in ministering to oppressors as sinners, as well as to those sinned
against and driven by despair to vengeful violence.  Such violence is not
likely in its turn to "establish justice, enusre the domestic tranquitily,
etc." -- the result is (in the classic Greek term) _stasis_, a continual
state of civil war.  But the continual "absolution" of the oppressors by
the Church is *guaranteed* to lead to hatred.

I don't suggest that the Church should run guns or staff a revolution; I
even agree with Ratzinger that this could mire us deeper in human alienation
from God.  But if the Church is not the advocate, in all forums, of the
victims of injustice, it has failed in its sacramental duty, forgotten that
it does indeed *represent* Christ in this world.
--
Michael L. Siemon		We must know the truth, and we must
...!cucard!dasys1!mls		love the truth we know, and we must

cvw@alice.att.com (12/08/89)

If you want a recent assessment of liberation theology,
you could look at an essay by Arthur F. McGovern, S.J.,
"Liberation theology adapts and endures," *Commonweal*
116(19), 587-590, November 3, 1989.

But the thread of liberation theology came up in a
discussion of when Joseph Ratzinger "turned" from being
a "liberal" to being a "conservative," and it seems to
me that attributing this "turning" to liberation theology
says more about the person making the claim than about
Cardinal Ratzinger.

From what I have read of Ratzinger's theological work,
it is clear that he is well acquainted with modern ideas
(such as democracy, due process, and individualism), and
he is not relentlessly negative in his treatment of them.
But whatever his intellectual prowess may be, his identity
as a Roman Catholic comes first, and he is obviously
distressed when "liberals" try to read these modern ideas
into the long record of official Roman Catholic teaching.
That is, he is not opposed to reconciling the good in modern
ideas with official R.C. teaching, but you should expect
him to be might cautious about it!

Chris Van Wyk

gerwitz@cs.rochester.edu (Paul Gerwitz) (12/08/89)

In article <Dec.3.12.56.44.1989.23314@athos.rutgers.edu>,
!hwt@bnr-fos.uucp (Henry Troup) writes:

>  [other stuff deleted for brevity]
>
> I, at least, view religion as coming somewhere in 'self-actualization'.  When
> people are drowning, they have no time for worrying about food, and when
> people are exploited they have little time for religion.  Therefore, social
> justice before salvation.
>
> Social justice may mean no more than the right to a living wage, and a union.
>
> I've tried to make two points - to encourage social justice is an
obligation,
> and it is one that churches have been rather poor at.
> that churches have been poor

I must take exception to Henry's statement about social justice before
salvation.  In my reading of the scriptures and experience, It is more
important for people to have the gospel preached to them in their present
condition, whether rich or poor.  Trying to eleviate their condition first
gives the impression of man's power to change things intsead of trusting in
the power if God to deliver people.  Jesus Great Command (Mt 28:19-20)
was given to preach the gospel not to pull the poor from their poverty.
Once people know Jesus and can live in the power of the Spirit, they can
get on with their lives, despite their current condition.

I sometimes wonder whether the Western Christian church's emphasis on
social justice is more a way of getting people up to our standard of living
or society because we are unwilling to say no to materialism, selfishness
and humanism.  Just think of where most of the historical thinking about
social justice has come from (western academia and culture).  Shouldn't we
be basing social justice, (including our own cultural trends) on God's word ?

Serving Christ right where I am....

 | Paul F Gerwitz  WA2WPI  | SMTP: gerwitz@kodak.com                          |
 | Eastman Kodak Co        | UUCP: ..rutgers!rochester!kodak!eastman!gerwitz  |

joefritz@pawl.rpi.edu (Jochen M. Fritz) (12/11/89)

Statememt:I fully agree that the Church should keep oput of politics.
The first reason, is that laws are ment to prevent anarchy
and protect people from each other, rather than themselves.
The other reason is that churches are made of prople, who are
inherentlly corrupt, and may support activaties or poilcies that
go against those of Christ.

Proof: First, Christ tells us to leave vengence up to him.  This means
(IMHO) That sins should not be banned by law, unless they hurt another
person.  If the government did outlaw sin, people would loose all faith
in Christ because the churches have invaded their liberty as such.  Aside,
from this, people would sin less physically , but would also sin far more
in their hearts.  Morover, the motiaation for not sinning would be fear of
man - not GOD.
Also, churched have done things that Christ would never done.  These things
include blessing the weapons of war, attempted genocide (Inquisition), run
wars for themselves (Crusades), and always stuck up for the upper classes
(Always!!! [today too])

I am a Christian, (borne again, etc), but I am also a (political) liberal
and think it is right to question the authority of any organisation of
Humans.

Thar was my 2 cents.  Thank you for your time.  Flames ,ets, welcome.

Jochen Fritz "Noah"

kutz@cis.ohio-state.edu (Kenneth J. Kutz) (12/11/89)

In article <Dec.3.12.56.44.1989.23314@athos.rutgers.edu>, !hwt@bnr-fos.uucp (Henry Troup) writes:
> I, at least, view religion as coming somewhere in 'self-actualization'.  When
> people are drowning, they have no time for worrying about food, and when
> people are exploited they have little time for religion.  Therefore, social
> justice before salvation.

Given this is soc.religion.christian, I suppose it is alright to remind
this poster that God promises the Christian that "Maslows lower level needs"
will be met.  The prerequisite of course, is that the person is a Christian
(which Maslow was not, so I am sure Scriptural promises were meaningless
to him).  After all, God's promises are for His own.

Therefore, salvation before social justice.

Which is better?

(1) Give a starving person a fish.
(2) Introduce the person to a generous fisherman (and a good one at that
    too! :-)

--
  Kenneth J. Kutz		  Internet 	kutz@andy.bgsu.edu
  Systems Programmer		  BITNET   	KUTZ@BGSUOPIE

dhosek@jarthur.claremont.edu (D.A. Hosek) (12/15/89)

There are a couple of things that I might be able to contribute to this
discussion...

Regarding Marxism and liberation theology: yes, there are Marxist elements
in liberation theology, but only to the extent that there are also Marxist
elements in the New Testament. (give all you have to the poor &c.) That
the liberation theologists have to a certain extent allied themselves with
Marxist rebels is indisputable, but, one must remember that there is no one
else who is willing to listen (or DO).

Those doing Liberation Theology are preaching a primarily religious message
and, at least doctrinally, are preaching against violence. Yes, there still
is violence, but it's happening on both sides. It would be nice if change
could occur without violence, but I don't see any way that it could.

Liberation Theologists go to great pains to avoid emphasizing connections
with Marxism. Not because there is anything wrong with the fundamental
message of Marxism (which is neither revolution nor atheism, but rather
the elimination of class barriers and the ability for the workers to
control their own destiny), but because terms like "Communism" and "Marxism"
have rather emotional connotations to them for most Westerners (think
about it. If I were to say that I am a Communist, would you react negatively?
Even if you don't know what _I_ believe?). Think back to the whole L-word
thing in the 88 election and consider how much more emotional the impact
of words like Communism and Marxism is.

Finally, I would like to recommend a book on Liberation Theology which
rather frankly and clearly explains what Liberation Theology is concerned
with: _Liberation Theology_ by Phillip Berryman.
-dh
--
"Odi et amo, quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
   nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior"          -Catullus

[I guess the term "Marxism" is getting as imprecise as the term
"Christian".  But I would not say that giving all you have to the poor
is necessarily Marxist.  Marx' name is associated with an approach to
analyzing societies, which emphasizes looking at economic structures
and motivation.  It is also associated with a specific political
program that later was taken over by Communism.  --clh]

lynn@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Lynn Kline) (12/15/89)

>[I got several comments making the same or related points.  I have
>chosen this one as representative.  By the way, it might be helpful to
>hear from someone who knows what liberation theology actually is.
> --clh]

I am a student at the Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley and have
studied, among other things, liberation theology.  I also work with
Salvadoran and Guatemalan refugees.  I'd like to mention what I know
about the topic -- this is certainly not comprehensive, but it's what
stays with me based on my studies and experience with the refugees.

First of all, friends of mine have studies with Gustavo Gutierrez, who
wrote "A Theology of Liberation," which is considered the foundational book
on the topic.  From what I understand, he shies away from emphasizing
liberation theology to be anything but *theology*, just like everyone else
is "doing theology."  I hope to take some of the charge out of the
discussion with this; people often freak at the term.

The foundation of liberation theology is the "fundamental option for
the poor."  This means that we must make our decisions and life choices
based on how it will affect those who have no voice, who are disempowered
and disenfranchised.  This is not easy.  There are many, many of these
people in our world and in our country.  The 70,000 dead in El Salvador
(that's 1/10 of the population of the country) are an example.  When we
make decisions about our elections, for example, we must ask ourselves
how this will affect those who are suffering, rather than just how it will
affect *us*.  There are different degrees at which one can make this
fundamental option: (1) being "por el pobre" -- for the poor, voicing
one's views and making choices on behalf of the powerless; (2) "con el
pobre" -- with the poor, having some sort of concrete insertion and
relationships with the disenfranchised, perhaps through one's work;
and (3) "como el pobre" -- like the poor, living in voluntary poverty.
What, to me, is wonderful about this is that there is room for everyone.
Selling all of one's belongings is *not* the only option.

All the talk of Marxism, which people often jump on, is because liberation
theology uses structural analysis, which is a tool of Marx's.  Period.
And using this tool, Gutierrez says that institutions must be at the service
of the people, especially those who were born into poverty.  When 15
families in El Salvador own 75% of the wealth of the country, and their
position is fortified by the country's institutions, something is very
wrong.  How about the horrendous educations children are receiving in
the public school systems in the low-income areas of the country?

The real zinger is this.  Our role, as people with power and wealth, is
secondary, to put our power at the service of the poor, to "accompany"
them in *their* very real struggle for basic human rights.  The poor are
not to be patronized, adopted, helped -- but *accompanied* in their
struggle.  They make the decisions.  Liberation theology recognizes the
suffering of people in the first world who are well off, but our role is
to be in solidarity with the poor -- and in that way, we will also be
"liberated."  Sort of turns things on its head.

Liberation theology also calls for praxis and *reflection* on scripture.
What does scripture say to me, based on these very real experiences of
what it is like to be poor?  We must have a very real insertion with the
poor in order to speak about them.  Otherwise there is the danger of
other-world theology.  Gutierrez in no way downplays the transcendent;
he just does not want to downplay the very real suffering that many
people in this world are experiencing today.

Hope this helps.

Lynn

crf@ginger.princeton.edu (Charles Ferenbaugh) (12/17/89)

In article <Dec.15.01.49.24.1989.17516@athos.rutgers.edu> dhosek@jarthur.claremont.edu (D.A. Hosek) writes:

>Liberation Theologists go to great pains to avoid emphasizing connections
>with Marxism. Not because there is anything wrong with the fundamental
>message of Marxism (which is neither revolution nor atheism, but rather
>the elimination of class barriers and the ability for the workers to
>control their own destiny), but because terms like "Communism" and "Marxism"
>have rather emotional connotations to them for most Westerners...

This paragraph brings up another point about Marxism that no one has
explicitly mentioned; I can't tell from what you've written what your
views on it would be, but I know that a lot of people are confused on it.
When you talk about 'the ability for the workers to control their own
destiny,' that's usually understood in the context where their overseers
are abusing the workers for a profit.  As long as that's all that's meant,
I would agree that it's right to support the workers (as, I think, any
Christian would).

BUT, I've seen some people who take it a step further.  They say something
like, look at how the bad mean overseers abuse the workers; if they could
only be gotten rid of, and the workers could run things themselves, then
everything would be all right.

This thought contains the germ of a very dangerous idea, the idea that the
poor or oppressed are somehow not corrupt, just because the rich are.
Clearly this goes against the Bible's teaching:  "For all have sinned and
fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23)  Contrary to what some of
the Marxists would say, it won't solve every problem to replace one group
of sinful, powerful people (the rich) with another (the poor).  It may
be a necessary first step, but more steps must come afterward.

As I said in a previous posting, I've read very little liberation theology
myself (I'll try and find the book you mentioned).  I would be interested
to know whether liberation theologians bring up this point.

Grace and peace,

Charles Ferenbaugh