[soc.religion.christian] Faith on feelings?

mauls@warwick.ac.uk (The Chief Slime Monster) (12/11/89)

A friend of  mine said recently, "You   can't base your faith  on feelings.".
This  was  related to  a discussion on what  might be described as "spiritual
emotional feelings".

  The way I see it, everything we perceive is through the medium of feelings.
However, the feelings we get from reading the Bible, or from talking to other
people about God,  are usually very different from  any  of  these "spiritual
emotional feelings" that people may experience at  church  or when they think
they are close to God. The later is very  much less on an  interlectual level
and some people see this as a reason to  not trust these type of  feelings. I
presume this is because  they  are worried  because  their, "mind", isn't  in
control as much.  Can we trust our feelings and  take  it for granted that we
are not kidding ourselves and that our subconsciouses  are not playing tricks
on us? It is a very difficult question, but, as every  philosopher or thinker
who has trodden on this ground knows, as soon as you start doubting the input
of your senses you end up with  the only knowable fact  being your existance.
This is  a futile exercise and proves  nothing, but  it does demonstrate that
whilst the  senses are  imperfect, they  are all  we have!  If we  don't have
*faith* in our senses, then we would never get out of bed in  the morning for
the fear that what we perceive to  be  the sofa is  in fact a ten foot cheese
breathing dragon! So what does all this add up to?  Well,  if we feel that we
haven't had a shave for a long time, we have sufficient implicit faith in our
senses  to  act upon  them and  to shave, is  it then  dangerous to act  upon
feelings or perceptions of God?

Someone has a feeling which  purports to be  an experience of  God. Something
has caused that feeling. The cause is either God  or not!  The only reason we
could have for doubting the validity of the  experience would be if something
else that was not God was creating this tremendous illusion or forgery. What
or who is capable of such trickery?

1) Drugs...
   	Unlikely, most Christians are aware of any narcotics in their system!

2) Your conscious mind...
	Since you are testing the validity of the experience with your
	conscious mind, you would know of it's origin.

3) Your sub-conscious mind...
	This *should* be a genuine worry until you have done enough research
	into it. If your subconscious mind is trying to fool you then it
	obviously *wants* your conscious mind to believe it was God. You are
	trying to force yourself to believe in God despite not having enough
	evidence for your conscious mind to believe. This is bad! I think a
	solution is; when you are building up experience of God, to keep a
	close eye on what your motives are. I think the correct ( only? )
	motive for becoming a Christian	is that God is real to you and you
	want to give your entire life to Him and serve Him, *regardless of
	what that may entail*. If you are getting into it for the wrong
	reasons then I imagine the thought of giving your life to Jesus and
	doing anything that he asks would be very worrying, because it
	threatens to take away whatever it was that you were hoping of
	getting out of Christianity.
	  Though my personal faith has it's up's and down's like everyone
	elses, for the vast majority of the time, the doubts I have that
	maybe my sub-conscious is playing tricks on me remain low. However,
	if you want to avoid slipping into blind-faith, "keep on the ball".
	There is never a time in my opinion to stop thinking of these things.

4) Satan...
	I know from personal experience that Satan can construct experiences
	that appear to be of God. At first glance it can seem like we have no
	hope of telling who is putting these things in our heads. I think the
	key lies with prayer. If God is working in our lives, any revelation
	or vision or experience that He chooses to give us will not just be
	an isolated event, but I believe that it will fit into your life like
	a jigsaw piece. Life with God should not be like charging up a
	capacitor every time it looses it's charge, but a continuous
	relationship, this is implied by giving your life to Jesus.
	Therefore, the closer you are to God, the more the Devils deceptions
	will stick out like a sore thumb.

Cheese, this has got longer than I thought! :-))

To finish, what I think is:-

If you analyse your motives constantly, and you live a life so as to minimise
the trash that you suspect gets between you and God, then you can reduce the
probability of being, "duped", with feelings to very small, and you can get
on and enjoy good feelings, trusting that they are the products of an
enhanced relationship with God and nothing else.

Thank you for listening,

The Chief Slime Monster.

for each $i in
    { comments, criticisms, insults, prayers, visions, thoughts, opinions }

	mail mauls@warwick.ac.uk < $i
end

[My own view of faith is that it is a kind of intellectual courage.  I
see it as having two aspects: (1) the courage to commit ourselves to
God even though we are never going to get completely unambiguous
evidence; (2) the courage to hold onto what we believe in the face of
momentary discouragement.  However I would argue that ultimately it
must be grounded in some good reason to believe.  It's one thing to
have faith to keep going when for the moment everything seems to have
turned against us.  It's something else to have "blind faith" in
something for which there was no good evidnece to begin with.  I don't
expect to see completely air-tight proofs, but I am also suspicious of
people who cannot come up with any reasons for what they believe other
than that they take it on faith.  --clh]

davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) (12/15/89)

In article <Dec.11.04.26.10.1989.25131@athos.rutgers.edu> mauls@warwick.ac.uk (The Chief Slime Monster) writes:
>... Can we trust our feelings and  take  it for granted that we
>are not kidding ourselves and that our subconsciouses  are not playing tricks
>on us? It is a very difficult question, but, as every  philosopher or thinker
>who has trodden on this ground knows, as soon as you start doubting the input
>of your senses you end up with  the only knowable fact  being your existance.

I, for one, trust neither my senses nor my thoughts. If I were to trust
my senses then I would involve myself in all sorts of sinful living. If
I were to trust my thoughts then I would make up all sorts of things
about God which would be more appealing to me, probably eliminating
concepts like eternal damnation and God's hatred of sinners altogether
because they are exceedingly unpleasant things to think about. I might
even convince myself that I am not a sinner after all because who
really enjoys honestly facing up to the insidious filth and wrottenness
that dwells within his very being.

Unlike those philosophers and thinkers which you referred to, however,
I know far more than the mere fact that I exist. I know the truth about
reality which God has been gracious enough to reveal to me via His
Word, the Bible. It, and it alone, is what I trust. Its words are
unchangeable, full of wisdom and knowledge, and profound proclaimers of
the truth and revealers of the nature of God Himself. I know not only
that I exist but also why I exist. This is something that even the
greatest philosopher or thinker, without the Bible, has never been able
to figure out. Their big mistake was thinking that they could rely on
their own thinking.

Man's thoughts are tainted by sin. God's sinless thoughts are the only
ones worth probing. I feel very, very sorry for those people who are
basing their salvation on some sort of really neat emotional experience
which happened to them. Ones own emotions can induce drug-like,
immensely pleasing sensations which many people delude themselves into
being of divine origin. It is even entirely possible, though these
people never want to contemplate the possibility, that such emotional
experiences were induced by Satan himself in order to give them exactly
what they were seeking, i.e. good earthly feelings rather than a
sincere relationship with God. The only way for a person to be sure of
his salvation is for him to study the Bible. He will then be able to
see if he has an on-going and sincere desire to be obedient to the
commandments of God or not. God tells us that one of the ways that we
can know if we love Him is if we want, from the heart, to be obedient
to Him at any cost. 1 John 2:3-5 says "And hereby we do know that we
know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and
keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected:
hereby know we that we are in him.".

    Dave Mielke, 613-726-0014
    856 Grenon Avenue
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    K2B 6G3

jrossi@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (The Electric Sol) (12/17/89)

[In article <Dec.15.01.39.03.1989.17427@athos.rutgers.edu>
bnr-fos!bmers58!davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) tells us that
he trusts neither his senses nor his thoughts.  If he did, he would
be led to sinful living, and to rationalizing away his sin.
>Unlike those philosophers and thinkers which you referred to, however,
>I know far more than the mere fact that I exist. I know the truth about
>reality which God has been gracious enough to reveal to me via His
>Word, the Bible. It, and it alone, is what I trust. Its words are
>unchangeable, full of wisdom and knowledge, and profound proclaimers of
>the truth and revealers of the nature of God Himself.
--clh]

I emailed Dave a much longer reply, however, for the Net, my primary
observation was the faultiness here is that Dave could not arrive
at any knowledge contained within the Bible without first trusting his
senses, and his thoughts.  You cannot trust the Bible without trusting
that your senses ( the eyes with which you read the Bible ) and your
mind ( the brain that thinks symbolically, makes judgements, evaluations,
and interprets ) are working properly.

So if Dave trusts neither his senses, feelings, thoughts, etc. how can
he trust that he understands what the Bible has said?  Has Dave never
experience the joy of being with God.  Does this joy not count as an
emotional experience?  If it is an emotional experience how can one,
who can't trust one's own experience, trust the experience is from
God?

--
-jrossi@jato.jpl.nasa.gov   "Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils
-ames!elroy!jato!jrossi    is still choosing evil." -Cptn. Trips