[soc.religion.christian] Predestination, Bible Answers to

davidbu@tekigm2.men.tek.com (David Buxton) (12/15/89)

Everybody has been predestined for salvation.  It is too bad that  everyone
does not accept God's plan for them:

     "For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;  Who
     will  have  all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the
     truth."  (1 Tim. 2:3-4)

     ". . . . .not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repen-
     tance."  (2 Peter 3:9)

     All lost by fall of Adam vs salvation through Christ.  (Ro.  5:18,19)

     Not appointed to wrath but to salvation.  (1 Thes. 5:9)

     God takes no pleassure in death of anyone.  (Ezekiel 18:31; 33:11)

To some people the following text sounds like God's selective election.  It
does  not have to be read that way.  God has a plan of salvation for every-
one; a plan of salvation, through Jesus Christ, for everyone.  God  predes-
tined that Jesus would come to die for me.  The predestination in this text
is that Jesus would come.

     "but with the precious blood of Christ,  a  lamb  without  blemish  or
     defect.   He  was  chosen  before  the  creation of the world, but was
     revealed in these last times for your sake."  (1 Peter 1:19,20)

     Ephesians 1:4,5 and  2 Ti 1:9,10 say the same thing.

I think the following text makes things quite clear.  God knows in  advance
who will choose Him and for these He has predestined a plan.  God knows the
beginning from the end.  That does not mean that God forces  the  beginning
from  the  end, at least not with respect to each man's free will to choose
or to deny God:

     "For those God FOREKNEW he also predestined to  be  conformed  to  the
     likeness  of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many broth-
     ers."  (Ro. 8:29)

     "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and  this  not
     from  yourselves,  it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one
     can boast.  For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ  Jesus  to
     do  good  works,  which  God prepared in advance for us to do."  (Eph.
     2:8-10)

Salvation is for everyone who desires it.  It is a free  gift  which  means
anybody can accept it:

     "Come ALL you who are thirsty, come to the waters; . . . . (Is. 55:1)

     ". . . .  and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of  the water
     of life."  (Rev. 22:17)

     "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,  that
     WHOSOEVER  believeth  in  him  should not perish, but have everlasting
     life.  (John 3:16)

     "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in  his  name,  he
     gave the right to become children of God"  (John 1:12)

     "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to ALL  men."
     (Titus 2:11)

Notions of predestination can tempt some to leave another man's fate in the
hands  of  God.   In  the  following  text it is clear that we will be held
accountable for such negligence:

     "At the end of seven days the word of the Lord came to  me:   'Son  of
     man,  I  have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the
     word I speak and give them warning from me.  When I say  to  a  wicked
     man,  You  will  surely  die,' and you do not warn him or speak out to
     dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked
     man  will  die  for  his  sin, and I will hold you accountable for his
     blood.  But if you do warn the wicked man and he does  not  turn  from
     his  wickedness  or  from his evil ways, he will die for his sin;  but
     you will have saved yourself."  (Ezekiel 3:16-19)

The choice is clearly ours to make:

     "This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have
     set before you life and death, blessings and curses.  Now choose life,
     so that you and your children may live . . . .  (Deut. 30:19-20)

     ". . . Choose you this day whom you will serve. . . . . but as for  me
     and my house, we will serve the Lord."  (Josh. 24:15)

     ". . . Thus saith the Lord, Choose ye."  (1 Ch. 21:11)

God promised blessings to people and  nations  who  chose  to  follow  Him.
Matthew 6:24 clearly says we cannot serve two masters.  God can protect and
bless us if we serve Him.  He cannot protect us if we turn  our  allegiance
over  to  another.   If you insist that God predestines everything then why
were so many of His covenants and promises  conditional?   God  could  have
simply predestined that His people would be loyal to Him and have dispensed
with the conditions:

     "If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted,
     torn  down  and  destroyed, and if that nation I warned repents of its
     evil, then I will relent and not inflict on  it  the  disaster  I  had
     planned.   And  if at another time I announce that a nation or kingdom
     is to be built up and planted, and if it does evil  in  my  sight  and
     does not obey me, then I will reconsider the good I had intended to do
     for it."  (Jer. 18:7-10)

     "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.  I
     will  be  found  by  you", declares the Lord, "and will bring you back
     from captivity.   . . . . .  (Jer. 29:13,14)

     "If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the  good  of  the  land:
     But  if  ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for
     the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it."  (Isaiah. 1:19,20)

     Conditions of 'on the throne' covenant with David.  (1 Kings 2:3,4)

     God's Covenant with Solomon was clearly conditional and the  terms  of
     God's covenant with David are repeated.  (1 Kings 9:2-9)

     "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the  prophets  and  stone  those
     sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together,
     as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but  you  were  not  wil-
     ling."  (Matt. 23:37)

     "Then Jesus told them,  'You are going to have the light just a little
     while  longer.   Walk  while you have the light, before darkness over-
     takes you.  The man who walks in the dark does not know  where  he  is
     going.'"  (John 12:35)    Soon after this we find Paul saying that Jew
     and Greek are all alike before the Lord.  (Gal. 3:28,29)

Some see 1 Peter 3:18-22 as scripture that  supports  their  'soul  prison'
theology.   I  see  it  as a scripture that reveals the patient work of the
Holy Spirit for 120 years.  In spite of the patient work of Jesus,  through
the Holy Spirit, only 8 accepted.  This passage of scripture speaks of God's
patience rather than any notion of predestination.

     "God waited patiently in the days of Noah  while  the  ark  was  being
     built.   In  it  only  a  few people, eight in all, were saved through
     water, and this water symbolizes baptism that . . . .(1 Peter 3:20-22)

Many of the texts that appear to predestine salvation simply predestine for
a  special  work  or purpose of God.  There are those who God chooses for a
special work, perhaps they are to be Evangelists.  Not all evangelists,  in
spite  of  the  thousands  they  bring to Christ, choose to keep up a close
relationship with their Saviour.  Being chosen to evangelism, for  example,
does  not  mean  being  chosen  for salvation.   And many who reject Him in
terms of salvation, are chosen to do a work, perhaps of destruction or pun-
ishment.

     "No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached
     to  others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."  (1 Cor.
     9:27)

     The story of Jonah and the whale.  We know that Jonah was called  upon
     to  deliver  a  message  of warning to Ninevah.  We are not told if he
     will be saved when Jesus returns.

     God predestined  that  Pharaoh  would let His  people go and he did in
     spite of himself.  Few would anticipate finding Pharaoh in heaven. The
     story of Nebuchadnezzar is quite different.    He was a king searching
     for honest answers and searching for God.    God had plans for both of
     these kings.   They reacted to God quite differently.  One was respon-
     sive to God and the other rejected God.

It is possible for sinners to repent and turn to God.  It is also  possible
for the righteous to turn back to sin and to pay the eternal penalty of the
2nd death.

     "If a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits  sin,  he
     will die for it; because of the sin he has committed he will die.  But
     if a wicked man turns away from the wickedness he will surely live; he
     will not die."  (Ezekiel 18:26-27)  (See also Ezekiel 33:12-20)

     "So do not throw away your confidence; it  will  be  richly  rewarded.
     You  need to PERSEVERE so that when you have done the will of God, you
     will receive what he has promised."  (Heb. 10:35,36)

     "And if it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become  of
     the ungodly and the sinner?"  (1 Peter 4:18)

     "They have left the straight way and wandered off to follow the way of
     Balaam . . . ."  (2 Peter 2:15)

     "I am the vine; you are the branches.  If a man remains in me and I in
     him,  he  will  bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.  If
     anyone DOES NOT REMAIN in me, he is like a branch that is thrown  away
     and  withers;  such  branches  are picked up, thrown into the fire and
     burned."  (John 15:5,6)  "And if they do not persist in unbelief, they
     will  be  grafted  in, for God is able to graft them in again."  (Rom.
     11:23)

     The Prodigal son.  He was the father's son, then was 'lost'  and  then
     was  found again.  The father,  speaking to the other son, said ". . .
     'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.  But  we  had
     to  celebrate  and be glad, because this brother of yours WAS DEAD and
     is alive again; he WAS LOST and is found.'"

We can make our calling and election sure.  We can keep up our relationship
with Him.  We can persevere:

     "Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to  make  your  calling
     and  election  sure.  For if you do these things, you will never fall,
     and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal  kingdom  of  our
     Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ."  (2 Peter 1:10)

     Only in Christ is our security.  We can be fully confidant of our sal-
     vation as long as we remain in Christ.  (Rom.  8:37-39)

The admonition to endure to the end clearly  implies  that  some  will  not
endure and remain always in Christ.  Only in Christ can we endure.

     "And ye shall be hated of all men for  my  name's  sake  but  he  that
     endureth to the end shall be saved."  (Matt. 10:22)

     "For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of  our
     confidence steadfast unto the end."  (Heb. 3:14)

     The parable of the 5 foolish virgins who let their oil run  out  is  a
     story of those who did not 'endure'.  (Matt. 25:1-13)  Verse 13 reads:
     "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour."

     The parable of the seed that fell upon different soils.  It sprang  up
     but  not  all  the seed grew to full maturity.  "Those on the rock are
     the ones who receive the word with joy when they  hear  it,  but  they
     have  no  root.   They believe for a while, but in the time of testing
     they fall away.  The seed that fell among thorns stands for those  who
     hear,  but  as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries,
     riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.  But the  seed  on  good
     soil  stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word,
     retain it, and by persevering produce a crop."  (Luke 8:13-15)

     "No temptation can come upon you that is not common to man: but God is
     faithful,  who  will  not  suffer  you to be tempted above that ye are
     able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that  ye
     may be able to bear it."  (1 Cor. 10:13)

As long as we are secure in Christ no one can snatch us away.   Choose  you
this day (every day) whom you will serve and let it be the Lord.

Dave (David E. Buxton)

davidbu@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM

bralick@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Will Bralick) (12/17/89)

In article <Dec.15.02.05.24.1989.17790@athos.rutgers.edu> davidbu@tekigm2.men.tek.com (David Buxton) writes:

| Everybody has been predestined for salvation.  It is too bad that  everyone
| does not accept God's plan for them:

So how do you account for:

	"For many are invited, but few are chosen."  (Matt. 22:14)
             ~~~~

It doesn't say _all_; the implication in Christ's parable of the wedding
banquet is that there are some that are not even invited.  (Those that
_are_ invited should be sure to be ready.)  It is true that when the
wedding invitations were rejected, the king commanded his servants:

	"Go to the street corners and invite to the banquet
	 anyone you can find."  (Matt. 22:9)
	 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But this leaves open the possibility that there are those who were
a) not originally invited, and b) not found and subsequently invited.
Clearly, if the original invitees and the "anyone you can find"
formed a partition of the race, then _all_ would have been invited.

Regards,

--
Will Bralick                          |  ... when princes think more of
     bralick@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu       |  luxury than of arms, they lose

mike@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (12/19/89)

In article <Dec.17.02.21.03.1989.15479@athos.rutgers.edu> bralick@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Will Bralick) writes:

>But this leaves open the possibility that there are those who were
>a) not originally invited, and b) not found and subsequently invited.
>Clearly, if the original invitees and the "anyone you can find"
>formed a partition of the race, then _all_ would have been invited.

(Re the parable of the banquet)

The interpretation of this parable that makes the most sense to me is that the
original invited guests were Israel, and that the the "slime" invited later
are the Gentiles.

	-mib

--
    Michael I. Bushnell      \     This above all; to thine own self be true
LIBERTE, EGALITE, FRATERNITE  \    And it must follow, as the night the day,