[soc.religion.christian] A Brief History of Time

aas@sat.datapoint.com (Adrienne Stipe) (12/15/89)

Does anyone know anything about a book called "A Brief History
of Time: From Big Bang To Black Holes" by Stephen Hawking?
My husband heard that it was a defense of creationism, and wants
to read it. However, I heard that the author does not believe in
God. I'd appreciate any input on this. My husband and I are both
Christians.

[I haven't read it, but I am rather confident that it is not a defense
of creationism.  If it were, it would not be appropriate to discuss it
here, since I redirect discussion of creationism to talk.origins.  If
anyone who has read it sees any theological implications of the book
that are worth commenting on -- and which are not better suited to
talk.origins -- feel free to enlighten us.  --clh]

dfm@att.att.com (12/17/89)

I have read Mr. Hawkings' book (actually, I've read it twice -- it is fun
reading, but not what I would call "light").  It has been a while since then,
and I am writing this from memory, so what I say may not be exactly right,
but should be pretty close.

This book is definitely not a defense of creationism, in the traditional
sense.  Mr. Hawkings is, in this book, attempting to answer questions
about the nature of the universe and how God created it.  He makes no
bones about his belief that the universe was created by God, but he clearly
does not accept the Biblical account.  He also, if my memory serves
correctly, states that a more important question than how God created
the universe is why He did -- Mr. Hawkings states that in trying to
answer that question, he is trying to know the mind of God.  He is clearly
an immensely intelligent human, and may very well be able to come more
closely than anyone else now, but I think he is reaching a little too
far, here.

Dennis F. Meyer		att!ihlpl!dfm
AT&T Network Systems	708/510-2277

cjh@petsd.ccur.com (12/19/89)

Somebody from San Antonio asked whether _A Brief History of Time_ was
explicitly religious, in particular, whether it defended creationism.
I read the book with some enjoyment, as a tour-de-force of explaining
difficult ideas in modern physics without any equations at all.  It
never explicitly deals with religious matters.  However, I got the
impression that Hawking was laying the groundwork for a non-theistic
view of the cosmos, as something which is self-sufficient and has no
need of being created.  His argument actually got rather technical
(still without equations!); and I would take exception to it for
technical reasons.  I don't go into these because:
(a) they are abstruse;
(b) he is, after all, *Stephen Hawking*, and I am only me;
(c) I am not sure I really know, from this book, what his model is;
(d) I don't think that the physical issues control the theological
    issues.

Peace,
Chris

(201)758-7288    106 Apple Street, Tinton Falls,N.J. 07724

st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) (12/19/89)

I have read S. Hawking's book.  It is neither (in my opinion) a defense
of creationism nor a book by an author which shows disbelief in God.  Some
creationists may take Hawking's new theories of the origins of the
universe as "disproving" the standard theory of the hot big bang.  Others
are concerned by his thesis that the universe did not really have a beginning.
Hawking was quoted (I don't believe it's in this book )  "Even if we did have
a theory of everything, we would still be forced to ask what breathes life into
the equations and make them move" (rough paraphrase).

firth@sei.cmu.edu (12/21/89)

In article <Dec.14.23.45.28.1989.14958@athos.rutgers.edu> aas@sat.datapoint.com (Adrienne Stipe) writes:

>Does anyone know anything about a book called "A Brief History
>of Time: From Big Bang To Black Holes" by Stephen Hawking?
>My husband heard that it was a defense of creationism...

First, I have read the book, and recommend it to anyone interested
in current thinking about cosmology.  Hawking is not only a brilliant
scientist, he can write a reasonable popular book.

Secondly, I'll venture to comment about it.  (For those who care, I
studied theoretical physics at Cambridge under Paul Dirac, among
others, so have some claims to competence.)  The book is not in any
sense a defence of creationism; indeed, Hawking's attitude to God
is much the same as Laplace's: "I have no need of that hypothesis."

The issue that seems most interesting is that of the 'Big Bang'.  If we
look at the universe, we see that it has been changing over time.
As best we can determine, by projecting our current knowledge backwards,
and asking what the universe was like earlier in time, we reach a
"singularity": a moment in time when the universe was very small,
very hot, and very dense, and at which our methods of retrodiction
break down.  This is the moment of the big bang.

It is tempting to identify that moment as the moment of Creation.
But it is not the traditional creation: if it occurred it was a very
long time ago (about 18 thousand million years), and what was created
was very different from today's heavens and earth.

Hawking does not take this stance.  His answer to the obvious question
"what came before the big bang?" is not "the spirit of God brooded over
the face of the waters", is not even "I don't know".  His answer is to
say that the question is meaningless.  The analogy he gives is interesting.

On the Earth, we have North and South.  We can ask "what is north of
Algiers?" and get the answer "Marseilles", perhaps.  We can then ask
"What is north of Marseilles?" and get the answer "Orleans".  And so on.
As we go further north, the distance around the earth contracts, and
if we project our measurements far enough north, it contracts to a
point, a singularity.

So the ulimate answer to "what is north of X?" is "the North Pole",
the singularity.  And the question "what is north of the North Pole?"
is meaningless; there is nothing north of the North Pole.  Similarly,
says Hawking, our dimension of time terminates at the pastward
singularity; there is nothing before the Big Bang.

Moreover, recall that these are the answers of a physicist.  Hawking's
argument makes a case that the question "what came before X" is a
question of physics, not of religion; this is evidently an argument
hostile to creationism, which rests ultimately on the belief that
for some "X" the question "what came before?" is indeed a religious
one.  I think he makes a pretty good case, too.  But that still leaves
a lot of other religious questions.

Robert Firth

[I think this is about as far as this topic can go without becoming a
discussion of creationism, something I'm unwilling to have in this
group.  --clh]