[soc.religion.christian] Random thoughts on free will, etc.

arm@neon.stanford.edu (Alexander d Macalalad) (12/11/89)

After reading the thread on predestination, I started thinking about free
will vs. determinism, specifically with regard to sin.  The question I have
is this: if God knows our actions beforehand, and even further, if He
intends for us to commit those actions, then is He not in some sense
responsible for our sin?  Conversely, if He is not responsible in
some sense for our sin, then how is it possible for us to resist His
will and do something other than what He intended?  (Of course, I mean
"He" in the genderless sense of the word.)

The easy answer is that by our free will we have the choice to do His
will or do something entirely different.  But the implication there is
that salvation is in our hands through the choices we make.  If this
were the case, then Christ would be just another prophet with a special
message from God, rather than our Saviour.

(Note that I am not arguing that one must consciously believe in Jesus
Christ to be saved, since Jesus died to save all men, not just
Christians.  In fact, stating that we must believe to be saved
implicitly assumes that salvation is (at least partially) in our hands.)

Another answer is that sin has blinded us to God's will, and only by the
grace of God are we able to do His will.  I think this comes close to
the Catholic position, but I am no theologian.  Yet to me this position
implies that by choosing when to give us grace, God is somehow responsible
for the actions we commit without grace (i.e. sins).  By analogy (and all
the caveats that come with reasoning by analogy), if person A allows person
B to walk on what A knows to be thin ice, then isn't A responsible in some
way if B falls through the ice and drowns?

I remember as an undergrad reading Thomas Aquinas' attempt to deal with
this question and not being entirely satisfied with his answers.  If I
remember correctly, he asserted that God intends every action we commit,
and that we should praise God for all the good we do, since we do good
only by the grace of God, but we are entirely responsible for all of the
evil we do, for how can God be responsible for evil?  (I think this position
comes closer to the Catholic position.)  Yet there is a paradox here that
I have not been able to resolve.

Here are some thoughts I've had in trying to deal with this paradox.  First
of all, there is a problem with my definition of free will.  So far I have
been treating free will as a differential (i.e. a capacity to act
different from how God intended me to act).  So the paradox was partially
due to the problem of how free will can exist when God intends every
action.  Perhaps free will means free from other people's will, rather
than free from God's will?

Even if that question is resolved, the problem of evil still remains;
namely, how can evil exist in the world if God intends every action?
How can God judge us if he intends all of our actions?

What am I missing here?

Alex Macalalad
arm@neon.stanford.edu

MATH1H3@uhvax1.uh.edu (David H. Wagner) (12/15/89)

In article <Dec.11.03.31.50.1989.22956@athos.rutgers.edu>, arm@neon.stanford.edu (Alexander d Macalalad) writes:
> After reading the thread on predestination, I started thinking about free
> will vs. determinism, specifically with regard to sin.  The question I have
> is this: if God knows our actions beforehand, and even further, if He
> intends for us to commit those actions, then is He not in some sense
> responsible for our sin?  Conversely, if He is not responsible in
> some sense for our sin, then how is it possible for us to resist His
> will and do something other than what He intended?  (Of course, I mean
> "He" in the genderless sense of the word.)

	I will try to answer this briefly. It is of course, a hard question.
We must begin with the creation and fall.  God created Adam and Eve in his
image, that is, perfectly holy.  They had free will to obey God or to disobey
him.  They freely chose to disobey him.  He foreknew this, but he did not
intend it, for they acted against his will.  But God, in his grace and
foreknowledge, already planned a solution for this sin.  He provide for a
Savior.  Already, as God told Adam, Eve, and the serpent (Satan) the punishment
for their sin, he promises the Savior. "And I will put enmity between you and
the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and
you will strike his heel."  Note that this indicates a victory of the woman's
offspring (Jesus) over Satan.
	Since the fall man has no free will.  He is a slave to sin and the
devil.  He is dead in his transgressions and sins (Eph 2:1).  He cannot believe
of his own accord any more than a dead man can make himself alive.  "But
because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive
with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions -- it is by grace you have
been saved."
	This much is a clear teaching of scripture which no Christian should
deny.  What is hard is the question, "Why aren't all men brought to faith?"
The scriptures teach that Jesus's redemption is for all humanity, but only
those who believe in Jesus receive this redemption. Even though God "wants all
men to be saved, and to come to a knowledge of the truth", it is apparent that
not all believe.  Aside from those who do not hear the Gospel and remain
"objects of wrath" (Eph 2:3), some hear the message and reject it.  See the
parable of the sower, and its explanation.  Also Stephen says:  "You
stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears!  You are just like
your fathers:  You always resist the Holy Spirit!  Was there ever a prophet
your fathers did not persecute."  Thus we must conclude that it is possible to
resist the Holy Spirit -- and, incidentally, that the Holy Spirit spoke to the
Jews through the prophets before Jesus.
	Beyond this, the rest is a mystery which we cannot understand with our
reason.  It is useless to pursue it any further.  Besides, I have to exit now.

David H. Wagner
My opinions and beliefs are completely separated from my employer's
lack thereof.

[David is writing from a position (Lutheran) that is traditionally
somewhat "softer" on predestination than mine.  I am a
supra-lapsarian, which means that I believe God intended the Fall.
(Actually, I believe in evolution, so I don't believe that the Fall is
to be located in a single pair of humans, but that has no real impact
on these discussions.)  Thus I would have to say that God is in some
sense responsible for sin.  His plan is that all would sin so that he
can show mercy to all (ca. Rom 11:32 -- sorry for not being more
precise, but I don't have a Bible here).  However the statement that
his plan involved all in sin is misleading unless the other half is
taken into account: that this state is the first stage in God's plan,
which also includes redemption from sin.  Why God chose for people to
go through sin, rather than creating them immune from it, is not a
question that I'm qualified to answer.  "responsible" becomes a very
tricky concept in this context.  I'd say that there are two levels of
responsibility here.  We are responsible for our own sin.  They're our
actions, not God's.  They reflect our character and motivations, not
his.  However God is responsible for the overall situation, including
the fact that we sin.  So while our individual sins don't reflect his
character, the fact that he has chosen to create the kind of world
that has sin in it, rather than what we might consider a utopia, does
reflect God's character in some way.  This is a responsibility that as
far as I can see, Scripture makes no attempt to duck.  Job is
primarily about the problem of evil.  In it, Job's friends attempt in
one way or the other to deflect responsibility from God.  Job holds
God responsible.  It is Job who is declared to be in the right.
--clh]

joefritz@pawl.rpi.edu (Jochen M. Fritz) (12/15/89)

In article <Dec.11.03.31.50.1989.22956@athos.rutgers.edu> arm@neon.stanford.edu (Alexander d Macalalad) writes:
>Even if that question is resolved, the problem of evil still remains;
>namely, how can evil exist in the world if God intends every action?
>How can God judge us if he intends all of our actions?
>
>What am I missing here?

Simple.  What you are missing can be said in one word: the devil.
All evil comes from him, and man must choose to follow God or Satan.

Jochen Fritz  ("Noah")

cash@uunet.uu.net (Peter Cash) (12/15/89)

In article <Dec.11.03.31.50.1989.22956@athos.rutgers.edu> arm@neon.stanford.edu (Alexander d Macalalad) writes:
>After reading the thread on predestination, I started thinking about free
>will vs. determinism, specifically with regard to sin.  The question I have
>is this: if God knows our actions beforehand, and even further, if He
>intends for us to commit those actions, then is He not in some sense
>responsible for our sin?

Are you saying that God's foreknowledge implies that God willed for things
to happen the way that they did?  I certainly don't see why it should be
so.  Just because God foresaw Adam's fall does not imply that God wanted
Adam to fall.  In any case, why do you think that God wanted Adam to fall?
This certainly seems false to me.

>Conversely, if He is not responsible in
>some sense for our sin, then how is it possible for us to resist His
>will and do something other than what He intended?

God intended for Adam *not* to fall.  But because God made a man and not a
puppet, the door was open for Adam to sin if he wished.

>The easy answer is that by our free will we have the choice to do His
>will or do something entirely different.  But the implication there is
>that salvation is in our hands through the choices we make.  If this
>were the case, then Christ would be just another prophet with a special
>message from God, rather than our Saviour.

Why is that?  I do think that we make choices, but without Christ's
sacrifice, we would be powerless to attain salvation.  Christ opened
the door so that we can walk through it--or not.  ("I am the door...")

>Another answer is that sin has blinded us to God's will, and only by the
>grace of God are we able to do His will.  I think this comes close to
>the Catholic position, but I am no theologian.  Yet to me this position
>implies that by choosing when to give us grace, God is somehow responsible
>for the actions we commit without grace (i.e. sins).  By analogy (and all
>the caveats that come with reasoning by analogy), if person A allows person
>B to walk on what A knows to be thin ice, then isn't A responsible in some
>way if B falls through the ice and drowns?

Not if B is an adult, and A warned him!

>Here are some thoughts I've had in trying to deal with this paradox.  First
>of all, there is a problem with my definition of free will.  So far I have
>been treating free will as a differential (i.e. a capacity to act
>different from how God intended me to act).  So the paradox was partially
>due to the problem of how free will can exist when God intends every
>action.

I am not compelled to act in a certain way just because God wills me to act
in that way--any more than children are compelled to act according to the
will of their parents. I can disobey God's will.  That I can do so does not
imply that God's power is limited--it's not that he *can't* compel me; he
*refrains* from compelling me.  He made me a sentient being, a being with
(some) intelligence and a will--and he has given me the freedom to exercise
that intelligence and that will.  If God made men and then ran them like
puppets, his creation would be rather pointless, don't you think?

>Even if that question is resolved, the problem of evil
>still remains; >namely, how can evil exist in the world if God intends
>every action?

This is the age-old "problem of evil", and there are no easy answers to it.
Though there are partial answers, they all ultimately fail.  Those who love
God must take the position that we simply don't understand God nor God's
plan well enough to answer the question satisfactorily.  We have to trust
him.

             |     Die Welt ist alles, was Zerfall ist.      |
Peter Cash   |                                               |    cash@convex

garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) (12/17/89)

I really don't intend on starting a long arguement, but I wonder if some of
this could be clarified (it is a response by the moderator to an article.

> ... I am a
> supra-lapsarian, which means that I believe God intended the Fall.

First, this is the first time I have ever heard the term "supra-lapsarian."
What is the source for the word (specific word origins if possible), and
how does it relate to a belief in the intention by God of the Fall of man?
Second, I have seen (and enjoyed) the thinking and biblical support which
you typically use in your responses and comments on s.r.c articles.  I don't
see the biblical support for this one.

> (Actually, I believe in evolution, so I don't believe that the Fall is
> to be located in a single pair of humans, but that has no real impact
> on these discussions.)  Thus I would have to say that God is in some
> sense responsible for sin.  His plan is that all would sin so that he
> can show mercy to all (ca. Rom 11:32 -- sorry for not being more
> precise, but I don't have a Bible here). ...

Ok, I looked up Rom 11:32.  I can see how a loose interpretation would
support PART of a position such as is described, but I'd be more interested
in a contextual supporting passage, especially in the OT.

> ... However the statement that
> his plan involved all in sin is misleading unless the other half is
> taken into account: that this state is the first stage in God's plan,
> which also includes redemption from sin.  ... --clh]

I would also like to see support for this position as well.  I am not stating
that your beliefs are wrong.  More, I'd like to understand them, understand
where (and more important why) they differ from mine, and what lead you to
them.

If this is better handled off-line, feel free to use email directly (I realize
that to some people their beliefs are a very personal thing).

Gary Faulkner
National Center for Supercomputing Applications - University of Illinois
Internet: garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Disclaimer:  I've only stated my opinion, not anyone elses.

----------
From: hedrick@cs.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick)

Actually, I should have done that response as a separate posting
rather than a moderatorial comment, though I doubt that it makes much
difference except to those with an illusion that the moderator is
unbiased.

Anyway, supra-lapsarian is one of a zillion technical terms used to
separate various varieties of Calvinism.  Calvinism tended to
fragment, because many Christians are uncomfortable with
predestination in its full glory.  Supra-lapsarian refers to the
question of whether God was responsible for the Fall.  (Lapsarian is
from the Latin that is behind "lapse".)  The Supra-lapsarian position
says that God intends everything that happens, even the Fall.  The
infra-lapsarian position says that humans are responsible for the
Fall.  Presumably it didn't exactly catch God by surprise, but it
wasn't something he specifically intended.  In response to it, God has
chosen to save some people, but not others.  This seems to some to
present less of a challenge to God's love and/or his justice than the
image of a God who intended the introduction of sin into human life.

My own view is that it's a mistake to try compromises like this.  The
whole point of predestination, at least for me, is that it allows us
to think of life as a gift from God.  He is responsible for everything
that happens to us, and does not just scurry around figuring out how
to recover from what people do.  To exempt the existence of sin from
his plan seems to me to leave us straining out gnats and swallowing
camels.

The point I was trying to make is that I think we need to see
predestination as being something done by God for our benefit.  It is
not entirely clear to me how far Paul intended to go in Romans.  It is
very tempting to read Rom 11:32 as saying that God will save everyone.
But that may not be what he means.  "all" may be limited.  However
what I think is clear from Rom. is that to the extent that something
like predestination is true, it should only be seen as part of God's
redemptive plan.  In Rom 9, Paul talks about the fact that not all are
being saved, indicates that this is part of God's plan, and defends
God as having every right to make pots for different purposes.  Taken
alone, this sounds like God has arbitrarily decided to damn part of
his people.  However in Rom 11, we see that God's hardening is
temporary.  It is done for the purpose of saving the Gentiles.  Once
that has happened, God will save those who he had previously hardened.
I have some serious questions about how widely Paul means some of the
comments in Rom 11 to apply.  Does 11:26 really mean that every Jew,
no matter when he lived, will be saved?  I don't know.  However I
think it is clear at least that God's hardening was temporary, and
will be replaced with a desire to save.  I do not see anything in Rom.
to suggest that God has a secret plan to damn anyone.  I would say
what I take from Rom is (1) to the extent that God hardens anyone, he
does it as part of a plan that is ultimately intended for salvation
(2) that he intends the existence of sin in the world to act as an
opportunity for his mercy.

How you work these ideas into a systematic theological position is
less clear to me.  The simplest approach is to say that God intends to
save everyone, but that for some reason rather than simply creating us
all as perfect beings, he chose to have us start out as sinners and
then save us from that.  The primary problem with this is the
implication that everyone is saved.  In other letters, Paul (not to
mention the rest of the Bible) certainly seems to say that many people
reject God's gift and end up being condemned for doing so.  I'll
comment a bit more on this below.  I'm willing to talk about the
implication that all are saved.  However I think that sin being part
of God's plan is part of the essential message of Rom., and I don't
see any way to get rid of that without ejecting Rom. from the NT.

Before talking a bit more about universal salvation, let's look at
what one might get by taking Rom. seriously, but still accepting a
fairly traditional concept of judgement.  The Christian tradition
generally has tried to do justice both to the concept of God having
ultimate control and to human responsibility.  So it is by no means
novel to suggest that God has an intention for how things should go,
but that he allows people to reject it.  One interesting way to deal
with Rom.  would be the following: The Fall and the existence of sin
are part of God's plan.  He intends for us to be first prisoners of
disobedience, so that he can show mercy to us all.  We have no choice
about the first part.  But we can reject the second.  The result of
this would be a position that I've never heard of before:
supra-lapsarian Arminianism.  (Arminianism is yet another offshoot of
Calvinism.  It tones down predestination in order to allow for "free
will".  It is probably the position typically taken by those who
believe that our salvation is entirely a gift from God, but one that
we can turn down.)

I have toyed with going further than this, and saying that everyone is
eventually saved.  This allows us to take Rom 11 at face value.
However such an option is open to us only if we are willing to take a
rather "liberal" view of Scripture.  I am certainly not a believer in
inerrancy, but I'm not sure I'm willing to go quite as far as this
view would require.  Let's look at what is involved.  First, it's
pretty obvious that there is no single, precise account in the Bible
of the final judgement.  In the earlier strata of the OT (e.g.  Ps.
6:5) we seem to have a view much like the early Greek view.  In Sheol
existence is rather shadowy: no one praises God there.  There's no
sign of judgement.  By NT times, the concept of judgement with eternal
reward and punishment had entered Judaism (perhaps from the Persians).
Jesus' view varies from a rather conventional last judgement (e.g. Lk
16:20, with the rich man in Hades in torment), to annihilationism
(Luke 14:14 talks about the resurrection of the just, and 16:20 of
those worthy to be resurrected.  This implies -- at least to me --
that those who are not worthy simply stay dead).  Generally he simply
refers to Gehenna.  As someone commented in a recent posting, Gehenna
was at that time being used as a garbage dump.  However the term had
implications of eschatological judgement in 1st Cent. Jewish writings.
But certainly the reference is far more ambiguous as to what Jesus was
actually thinking of than the English "hell".  Outside of Rom, Paul
certainly seems to think of a fairly conventional judgement (e.g. I
Thes 1:8-9, which talks about the punishment of fire and eternal
destruction).  It's fairly easy to make out a case for annihilation of
sinners, rather than their eternal torture.  But it's very hard to
believe that the NT writers believed in universal salvation.

In order to support universal salvation, you pretty much have to do
the same thing we do with women in the church, or the abolition of
slavery: you have to say that there are implications of the Gospel
that are present in the NT, but that the NT writers had not drawn out
all of their consequences.  E.g. with slavery, Paul seemed to allow
it.  Yet if you think about the kind of relationship he had in mind
for masters and slaves, it's hard to see how slavery could ultimately
survive.  We can no longer think of slaves as property.  They are now
our brothers in Christ.  If we really try to operate that way, in the
end we are going to be led to challenge slavery itself.

Similarly with the concept of judgement.  There are some arguments in
Paul that if we follow them out cast serious doubt on the conventional
view of judgement.  Consider I Cor 15:20 ff.  This talks about Adam
and Christ.  As Adam's sin spread to all mankind, the second Adam's
salvation spread to us all.  "For just as all people die because of
their union with Adam, in the same way all will be raised to life
because of their union with Christ."  Does this passage explicit teach
universal salvation?  If we didn't have I Thes and similar passages, I
think we would say that it does.  Certainly the logic of his argument
would imply it.  I Cor 15:22-24 talks about death being defeated and
everything coming under Christ's headship.  Col 1:20 and Eph 1:9-10
also talk about God's secret plan that eventually everything will come
under Christ's headship.  Rom 5:12ff also gives the Adam/Christ
parallel.  Like I Cor, it suggests that Christ undid what Adam did.
In 5:18, Paul says that Christ sets all mankind free.  The arguments
from Paul seem very strong: Christ will eventually defeat sin and
death and unite all mankind under his headship.  Presumably this will
happen at the second coming.  There may still be punishment for those
who reject God now, but eventually God will find a way to incorporate
them in Christ.

While these ideas can be gotten from Paul, in all honesty I have to
say that passages such as I Thes 1 suggest that they are not
conclusions that he himself drew.  Either that, or he changed his
mind.  While we may be willing to say that Paul didn't have a chance
to draw out all the implications of his thought, it's much harder for
a Christian to argue this way about Jesus.  On the other hand,
whatever we may believe about Jesus' unity with the Father, it is
clear that during his life he didn't teach about many of the themes
that appear in Paul's letters.  This may mean that Paul invented
Christianity, and Jesus would be horrified.  But the conventional
explanation is that Jesus was unable during his life to speak about
many of the things that appear in Paul's letters, because they can
only be understood in the light of the resurrection.  The arguments
for universal salvation depend upon a concept of Christ's role that
probably couldn't have been explained during his life.  Note that
universal salvation is not necessarily antithetical to judgement.  I
Cor. 15 suggests a distinction between those who have accepted Christ
and others.  While the others may be judged, they are not abandoned.
Eventually God defeats death, and bring them all under Christ's
headship.

As I said above, I know how to construct this argument, but I'm not
sure I'm prepared to follow it.  However the point I was making in my
response to you was not quite so far-reaching.  It was that God had
intended the Fall, but that it was part of his plan for salvation.

kutz@cis.ohio-state.edu (Kenneth J. Kutz) (12/17/89)

In article <Dec.15.01.40.05.1989.17460@athos.rutgers.edu>, joefritz@pawl.rpi.edu (Jochen M. Fritz) writes:
> In article <Dec.11.03.31.50.1989.22956@athos.rutgers.edu> arm@neon.stanford.edu (Alexander d Macalalad) writes:
> >Even if that question is resolved, the problem of evil still remains;
> >namely, how can evil exist in the world if God intends every action?
> >How can God judge us if he intends all of our actions?

> Simple.  What you are missing can be said in one word: the devil.
> All evil comes from him, and man must choose to follow God or Satan.

James, writing to the twelve Jewish tribes scattered abroad, writes
about the nature of evil and sin.  James was concerned due to reports
he must have heard considering the fighting and warring that was going
on amongst these professing Christians (James 4:1).

Much of what James writes has the ring of Paul's statement "Examine
yourselves, whether you be in the faith".  One of the things James
points out to his readers is that they have no one to blame for their
sin but themselves.

"Let no one who is tempted say, 'I am tempted by God,' for God cannot
be tempted by evil, and He tempts no one.  But each person is tempted
when he is drawn away and enticed by his own desire.  Then when the
desire has conceived it gives birth to sin, and sin, when it reaches
maturity, produces death." (James 1:13-15)

The above passage I believe teaches us two things pertinent to recent
discussions in this group.  The first is that we alone are responsible
for our sins, and secondly God can never be responsible for sin.

Incidentally, the birth metaphor is very pratical teaching, one that
has helped me obstain from many sins.  I believe, when applied in our
lives, this means we should stop sin where it starts -- in our
thoughts.  What we fill our minds with will dictate whether a sinful
thought has anything to mate with.

--
  Kenneth J. Kutz		  Internet 	kutz@andy.bgsu.edu
  Systems Programmer		  BITNET   	KUTZ@BGSUOPIE

nunes@ai.toronto.edu (Joe Nunes) (12/19/89)

In article <Dec.15.01.40.05.1989.17460@athos.rutgers.edu> joefritz@pawl.rpi.edu (Jochen M. Fritz) writes:
>In article <Dec.11.03.31.50.1989.22956@athos.rutgers.edu> arm@neon.stanford.edu (Alexander d Macalalad) writes:
>>Even if that question is resolved, the problem of evil still remains;
>>namely, how can evil exist in the world if God intends every action?
>>How can God judge us if he intends all of our actions?
>>
>>What am I missing here?
>>
>Simple.  What you are missing can be said in one word: the devil.
>All evil comes from him, and man must choose to follow God or Satan.

God is infinitely powerful --- Satan is not. It would be totally within God's
power to prevent Satan from doing anything God did not wish and to force him to
do anything God wished. Therefore, by deciding not to act, God is
responsible for all the evil that comes from Satan. But that's not all.
God created Satan. Since God is omniscient, He was fully aware of all the evil
that would come from Satan. Since God is omnipotent, it would have been
possible for Him to create a universe without Satan (or with a benevolent
Satan). Therefore, it was God's *choice* to create a universe in which all the
evil caused by Satan would occur. His responsibility for Satan's evil is
thus inescapable.

In other words: Omnipotence + Omniscience = Responsibility.

nunes@ai.toronto.edu (Joe Nunes) (12/19/89)

[Alexander Macalalad proposed that predestination implies God is responsible
for our sin.  Peter Cash responded that the fact that God knows what we
are going to do does not imply he is responsible for it.
>Just because God foresaw Adam's fall does not imply that God wanted
>Adam to fall.  In any case, why do you think that God wanted Adam to fall?
>This certainly seems false to me.
--clh]

Yes, but God created Adam *knowing* that he would fall. Let us call our
present universe, universe A. Since God is omnipotent he could have created
a slightly different universe (call it B), which would differ from A in one
respect: Adam would have a more obedient character, and would not fall from
grace. Note that in both A and B, Adam has *exactly* the same "amount" of
free will -- he is not a puppet. If God could not have created a universe
such as B, then He is not omnipotent. If He could have created such a
universe, but didn't, then he *chose* A over B. Therefore, he must have wanted
Adam to fall.

>>Conversely, if He is not responsible in
>>some sense for our sin, then how is it possible for us to resist His
>>will and do something other than what He intended?
>
>God intended for Adam *not* to fall.  But because God made a man and not a
>puppet, the door was open for Adam to sin if he wished.

Again: God is omniscient; He *knew* Adam would fall. God is omnipotent; He
could have created Adam so that he still had free will, but would not fall.

st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) (12/19/89)

The moderator (clh) made some interesting thoughts on the topic of who
is responsible for sin in a message earlier in this thread.  While I don't
believe that God necessarily intended sin to happen, a vital point was raised
on the responsibility of God.

If you look, you will see that the devil is not mentioned in the Bible between
Genesis and Chronicles.  Whenever any plague happens, or any wickedness is
punished, invariably the Bible says "the LORD smote them with a plague...etc."
Suffering was not part of God's original plan.  We know that God can overrule
suffering if He chooses to.  If we believe that God is the supreme Being of
the universe, and yet suffering still occurs, we see that the buck stops with
God.
My idea is that sometimes God is willing to take the blame for suffering He
did not cause in order to avoid giving the devil any more press than necessary.
Furthermore, God, unlike other people, grieves with us when disaster happens,
and is willing to help us fix things up afterwards.  Do we dare deny him
our forgiveness and hold a grudge against Him, thus shutting out our one
sure source of help?  Just a thought.

sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Mark T. Sandrock) (12/21/89)

In article <Dec.19.02.44.59.1989.14936@athos.rutgers.edu> st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) writes:
>The moderator (clh) made some interesting thoughts on the topic of who
>is responsible for sin in a message earlier in this thread.  While I don't
>believe that God necessarily intended sin to happen, a vital point was raised
>on the responsibility of God.
>
>Suffering was not part of God's original plan.  We know that God can overrule
>suffering if He chooses to.  If we believe that God is the supreme Being of
>the universe, and yet suffering still occurs, we see that the buck stops with
>God.

We need to become clear regarding the gift of free will we have received
from the Creator, and the absolute responsibility we thus have for everything
we think and say and do.

GOD is PERFECT, and therefore HIS Creation must also be perfect!!!

So what does this tell us?  That the responsibility for suffering *must*
lie completely and entirely with *man himself* and not with GOD.

To take a small, but perhaps useful example: When we are careless, and
burn our hand on something very hot, should we blame GOD for creating
us careless?  Or blame HIM for creating heat?  No!  We have to recognize
that the suffering is due to our own fault, and the suffering actually
contains a lesson for us, whereby we can learn and grow as human beings
and which helps us to learn to recognize GOD's WILL in Creation.

Surely we have heard of the person who asked: "Where was GOD at Auschwitz?"

The simple (and true) reply: "Where was *man* at Auschwitz?"

We are still to ready to place blame and responsibility always outside
ourselves, on anyone else, even on GOD.  However, to mature as human beings
means to learn to accept full responsibility for all we experience in life,
and not to first want to blame the others.

I am a reader of the Grail Message, "In the Light of Truth", by Abd-ru-shin.

Best Wishes!

Mark Sandrock
UIUC School of Chemical Sciences