[soc.religion.christian] Christianity and Freemasonry.

drezac@cis.ohio-state.edu (Duane L. Rezac) (11/30/89)

I'm looking for information on the compatability of Christianity and
Freemasonry. I have a relative that is in Masonry, and I know that sometime
in the near future we will have a conversation about it, So I'm starting to
do some research. I would like to hear comments on this subject from both
sides, preferably with Scripture references.

Duane L. Rezac
dsacg1!dcscg1!drezac    drezac@dcscg1.dcsc.dla.mil

[I am not a Mason, so I'm in no position to make detailed comments,
but let me at least caution that it may be hard to developed a
position about "Masonry" as a whole.  There are a number of traditions
that have masonic roots.  Some of them have rather different attitudes
towards religion and Christianity.  It may be more fruitful to ask
what kind of practices might or might not cause trouble, so as to help
someone decide whether their participation in a particular group was
appropriate for them.  --clh]

thompson@athos.rutgers.edu (Marge Thompson) (12/04/89)

women's group called  Order  of   the  Eastern  Star.  Most    of  the
ritualistic ceremonies in both masonry and ES  are based on the bible.
Masons use more of the OT than the Eastern Star.  We use both books of
the bible.  I do not  feel qualified or at  liberty to discuss this at
length, but there are some excellent books on the subject that explain
what masonry is about.   I  must tell  you, however, that I personally
have found  some satisfaction  in the good  we have done for people in
need.  However, it is, by no  means, a substitute for my  church life.
It probably enhances my beliefs, but it is in my Church that I find my
most satisfaction.

I have served  as Worthy Matron  (president) of my  chapter and I also
served as President of the  Past Matrons  and Past Patrons Association
of the  State.  I  believe my most  satisfying year  in  star life was
during this time  because  I was in   a  position to  make some  vital
decisions to  help  people  in need,  not  only financially,  but with
things they needed, i.e. wheelchairs, canes,  etc.  etc.  This help is
not  just  given to members,  but  to   non-members.  The  masons  are
involved with children's hospitals, MD, burn centers, etc.  I can only
tell you that you must belong in a Supreme Being in order to belong to
either  masonry or Eastern  Star.  Your best bet  would  be to go to a
local  bookstore and  thumb thru some  books.  You will find books pro
and con.  It will prove to be interesting research.

Marge Thompson

conan@wish-bone.berkeley.edu (David Cruz-Uribe) (12/07/89)

For what it is worth on the subject of Masons:

All Catholics are forbidden to belong to the Masons or any allied
organization.  The reasons for this ban have to do with the history of
European Freemasonry.  Masonic lodges in Europe had a sinister edge
which often combined with anti-clerical politics.  Numerous conspiracy
theories have been woven around the Masons because of this--I don't
buy any of them.

This doesn't say much about Masons in America though.  Perhaps more
germane is that the Anglican church in England recently issued a
statement (do they call them encyclicals?) questioning on theological
grounds the propriety of Christians being Masons.  This caused quite
a stir as a member of the royal family is a leading Mason.  Does any-
one out there know exactly what the statement said?

Yours in Christ,

David Cruz-Uribe, SFO

jhpb@lancia.garage.att.com (12/11/89)

     All Catholics are forbidden to belong to the Masons or any allied
     organization.  The reasons for this ban have to do with the history of
     European Freemasonry.  Masonic lodges in Europe had a sinister edge
     which often combined with anti-clerical politics.  Numerous conspiracy
     theories have been woven around the Masons because of this--I don't
     buy any of them.

The ban also has to do with what Freemasonic principles are all about.
They're inimical to Catholicism.  According to the classic papal
encyclical on Freemasonry, Humanum Genus, Freemasonry is based on an
error called Naturalism.  Basically, a denial that the supernatural
exists.

From an instruction of the Holy Office, May 10, 1884:

 ... it is especially certain that Freemasonry and other sects of this
 kind which plot against the Church and lawful powers... are condemned
 by automatic excommunication.

If you read the Papal encyclicals and various documents of the Holy
Office carefully, you will find that they clearly espouse the idea that,
as an organization, Freemasonry conspires against the Catholic Church.

Unfortunately, there is little serious history available in English that
has a Catholic viewpoint.  I might suggest some of the books by Fr.
Fahey on the subject of Freemasonry and Naturalism.

I sympathize with the person who asked for information, but I'm not sure
what can be done at a practical level.  Few Americans are of a mindset
that they will or will not do something just because of abstract
principles.  The Mason involved probably sees little more than a social
club in Freemasonry.

Joe Buehler

MATH1H3@uhvax1.uh.edu (David H. Wagner) (12/15/89)

In article <Dec.11.03.48.17.1989.23480@athos.rutgers.edu>, jhpb@lancia.garage.att.com writes:

> The ban also has to do with what Freemasonic principles are all about.
> They're inimical to Catholicism.  According to the classic papal
> encyclical on Freemasonry, Humanum Genus, Freemasonry is based on an
> error called Naturalism.  Basically, a denial that the supernatural
> exists.

Really, you ought to say that Freemasonry is antithetic to Christianity. Of
course, if you believe that the Roman Catholics Church is *the* Christian
church, then your statement would make more sense to me.

As I understand it, Freemasons, in theory, believe that all religions teach an
aproximation of the true faith, but that they of course have true
understanding.  They accept the Bible, the Koran, and other holy books as
revelations of God, whom they call the Great Architect of the Universe.  In a
sense Freemasonry is a precursor to the modern ecumenical movement.

Lutherans have traditionally taken a strong stand against Freemasonry, and not
permitted their members to belong to the Masons or similar lodges.  Some
Lutheran churches have retreated from this stand, but not the WELS or ELS,

David H. Wagner
My opinions and beliefs are completely separated from my employer's
lack thereof.

[I am very reluctant to continue a discussion of someone else's
beliefs based on rumors of what they believe.  Marge Thompson seems to
be the closest we have to a Mason (Eastern Star), and I guarantee you
that she would not be involved in anything even slightly
anti-Christian.  On the other hand, there have certainly been Masonic
groups ranging from free-thinkers to non-Christian.  --clh]

tom@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Tom Albrecht) (12/21/89)

Our moderator writes:

> [I am very reluctant to continue a discussion of someone else's
> beliefs based on rumors of what they believe.  Marge Thompson seems to
> be the closest we have to a Mason (Eastern Star), and I guarantee you
> that she would not be involved in anything even slightly
> anti-Christian.  On the other hand, there have certainly been Masonic
> groups ranging from free-thinkers to non-Christian.  --clh]

Our denomination (Presbyterian Church in America) has recently done a
study of Freemasonry based on overtures from several presbyteries.
Since the old Southern Presbyterian Church from which we sprang had
many Freemasons as not only members, but also elders and deacons, we
thought it important to investigate.  There are many Freemasons in the
PCA, especially in the South.

Our basic determination was that Freemasonry is not compatible with
biblical Christianity and that Freemasons in the PCA should be
counseled to reconsider their affiliation.  Much of this was based on
our definition of "religion" and whether Freemasonry constitutes one.
Since Freemasons admit to rituals and rites in which prayer and worship
are offered, it appears that it could be considered a religion.  The
question then becomes is it biblical (i.e. Christian) religion.

Part of the problem is that for most folks, Freemasonry is a cultural
sort of thing, like being a Rotarian.  Somebody belongs because their
daddy belonged whose daddy belonged ... .  And in many places
Freemasonry is like the country club where folks go to "network".
I've found in talking to folks who are Freemasons that most don't
really understand the history and "theology" of the group.  Freemasons
are no different than most church members when it comes to
understanding their "doctrine".  There is the inner circle, maybe 10%,
who are the activists, and then there is everyone else.

Eastern Star may be another matter.  My wife was in Rainbows as a
girl, and my mother-in-law is an Eastern Star.  My wife thinks that
Eastern Star may be more Christian in its orientation than
Freemasonry.  However, she would counsel against anyone joining any of
these secret societies.

If anyone is interested in a copy of my denomination's study, I would
be happy to mail it to them.

-- Tom Albrecht

[I'd be interested in your reaction to the official Masonic response,
contained in a later posting within this group.  (Those considering
responding to this message might want to look at it first.)  I could
imagine any of
  - that you simply don't believe it
  - that you believe it is inappropriate for a group to speak on
	religious issues even as far as requiring belief in a supreme
	being (which they say they do) without being explicitly Christian
  - that you find some activity that they think is non-religious which
	you believe is so close to religion that it should only be done
	in an explicitly Christian context.
Just out of curiosity, what role did your Masonic members play in your
study?  --clh]

PTREI@asgard.bbn.com (12/23/89)

> hedrick@cs.rutgers.edu writes:
> [I'd be interested in your reaction to the official Masonic response,
					     ^^^^^^^^
The only portion of my message which anyone could call "official" is the
quoted pamphlet. The rest is mine.

> [...] I could imagine any of
>   - that you simply don't believe it
>   - that you believe it is inappropriate for a group to speak on
> 	religious issues even as far as requiring belief in a supreme
> 	being (which they say they do) without being explicitly Christian
>   - that you find some activity that they think is non-religious which
> 	you believe is so close to religion that it should only be done
> 	in an explicitly Christian context.

   Well, I can imagine at least one other:

  - Accept it. Realize that your negative estimation of Freemasonry
	is based on ignorance and misinformation, and modify it
	accordingly.

     For those who wish to learn more about Masonry (even if only to
argue from a position of knowledge :-), I recommend two books:

"The Craft: A History of English Freemasonry." by John Hamill.
Crucible '86. ISBN 0-85030-460-1. This scholarly history is
well-written and very readable, but confines itself to England. It
includes an interesting chapter about attacks on Masonry.

"The Builders" by Rev. Joseph Fort Newton, Macoy Publishing and
Masonic Supply Co., Richmond, VA. ISBN 0-88053-045-6. Originally
published in 1914, it's still in print, and in many libraries.  This
is a somewhat tougher read, but goes much more into the religious
aspects of Freemasonry from the point of view of a Christian
minister (albeit in 1914).
				go with God (and merry Christmas),

						Peter Trei
						Senior Steward
						Wilder Lodge AF&AM
						Leominster, MA.
						ptrei@asgard.bbn.com

Behold, how good and pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
							- Psalm 133

[disclaimer: The above are MY opinions, and do not neccesarily represent
 those of my employer or any Grand Lodge]