[soc.religion.christian] Errancy: Reasons?

djo@pacbell.com (Dan'l DanehyOakes) (01/07/90)

In article <Jan.4.00.11.03.1990.12437@athos.rutgers.edu> kilroy@mimsy.umd.edu (Nancy's Sweetie) writes:
>...I am not saying God was incapable of giving us flawless
>Scriptures; I am only pointing out that he apparently decided not to, for
>whatever reasons.  ...(Note that, having read all the verses which
>are usually used to claim that Scripture says it is perfect, I find that
>interpretation often strained:  I do not believe that the Bible claims to
>be perfect, and therefore I am not contradicting it.)

Hear!  Hear!!

And as for why God would choose not to give us inerrant Scriptures...

...perhaps its a way of enforcing free will -- a poke in the side and "Think
for yourselves, guys -- I ain't going to hand it all to you on a silver
platter."  What would free will *mean* if we were handed algorithms for Correct
Behavior that offered no latitude?

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes