[soc.religion.christian] Freemasonry and religion.

Peter Trei (ptrei@asgard.bbn.com) (12/22/89)

[My logs show that this was posted last night.  But it does not
appear in the group here.  I apologize if this is a duplicate.  --clh]

Hi!
     I've been lurking on this newsgroup for quite some time (it's
rather difficult for me to post). I may be able to shed some light on
the topic of Freemasonry, being a Master Mason myself.

>> From: conan@wish-bone.berkeley.edu (David Cruz-Uribe)
>> All Catholics are forbidden to belong to the Masons or any allied
>> organization.  The reasons for this ban have to do with the history of
>> European Freemasonry.  Masonic lodges in Europe had a sinister edge
>> which often combined with anti-clerical politics.
> From: jhpb@lancia.garage.att.com
> The ban also has to do with what Freemasonic principles are all about.
> They're inimical to Catholicism.  According to the classic papal
> encyclical on Freemasonry, Humanum Genus, Freemasonry is based on an
> error called Naturalism.  Basically, a denial that the supernatural
> exists.

     Three errors here.
     1. We are not anti-clerical. Far from it, we require a stated
belief in a Supreme Being from every candidate before he can be made a
Mason. We are somewhat ecumenical about it - There are Masons of all
faiths.
     This notion that the Masons are anti-clerical arises from the
existance of a schismatic group (the "Grand Orient"), based in France.
This relatively small group dropped the requirement of faith, removed
the Bible from their lodge rooms, and became politically active. For
this (among other things) the other Grand Lodges withdrew recognition
from Grand Orient in the 1870's, and it has been shunned by all
regular Masonic groups ever since.

     2. We are no longer (total) anathema to the Catholic Church.
Since 1983 it has been permitted for Catholics to join the Masons, at
least in North America.

     3. The Pope erred when he accused us of Naturalism. As I have
stated, a prior belief in Deity is an absolute requirement for
membership. Good churchgoers make better Masons and Masons tend to
become regular churchgoers. Without the existance of something beyond
the grave, Masonry would be meaningless.

> From: MATH1H3@uhvax1.uh.edu (David H. Wagner)
> As I understand it, Freemasons, in theory, believe that all religions
> teach an aproximation of the true faith, but that they of course have
> true understanding.  They accept the Bible, the Koran, and other holy
> books as revelations of God, whom they call the Great Architect of the
> Universe.  In a sense Freemasonry is a precursor to the modern
> ecumenical movement.

     This is also incorrect. The following pamphlet, from the Grand
Lodge of England in 1985 (the oldest Grand Lodge in the world, and
highly respected), puts the situation better than I could:

                        Freemasonry and Religion

Introduction

     In the light of recent comments on Freemasonry and religion and
inquiries to be held by various churches into the compatability of
Freemasonry and Christianity, the Board has decided to issue the
following statement in amplification of that originally approved by
Grand Lodge in September 1962 and confirmed by Grand Lodge in December
1981.

Basic Statement

     Freemasonry is not a religion, nor is it a substitute for
religion.  It demands of its members belief in a Supreme Being, but
provides no system of faith of its own. Its rituals include prayers,
but these relate only to the matter instantly at hand and do not
amount to the practice of religion.
     Freemasonry is open to men of any faith, but religion may not be
discussed at its meetings.

The Supreme Being

     The names used for the Supreme Being enable men of different
faiths to join in prayer (to God as they see Him) without the terms of
the prayer causing dissension among them.
     There is no Masonic God; a Freemason remains committed to the God
of the religion he professes.
     Freemasons meet in common respect for the Supreme Being, but He
remains Supreme in their individual religions, and it is no part of
Freemasonry to attempt to join religions together. There is therefore
no composite Masonic God.

Volume of Sacred Law

     An open Volume of Sacred Law is an essential part of every
Masonic meeting. The Volume of Sacred Law to a Christian is the Bible;
to Freemasons of other faiths it is the book held holy by them.

The Oaths of Freemasonry

     The obligations taken by Freemasons are sworn on or involve the
Volume of Sacred Law. They are undertakings to keep secret a
Freemason's means of recognition and to follow the principles of
Freemasonry. The physical penalties are simply symbolic. The
commitment to follow the principles of Freemasonry is deep, and
entirely appropriate to this form of obligation.

Freemasonry Compared with Religion

Freemasonry lacks the basic elements of religion:
     a. It has no dogma or theology (and by forbidding religious discussion
      	at its meetings will not allow a Masonic dogma to develop).
     b. It offers no sacrements.
     c. It does not claim to lead to salvation, by works, secret knowledge
	or any other means (the secrets of Freemasonry are concerned with
	modes of recognition, not with salvation).

Freemasonry Supports Religion

     Freemasonry is far from indifferent to religion. Without
interfering in religious practice it expects each member to follow his
own faith, and to place his duty to God (by whatever name He is known)
above all other duties.  Its moral teachings are acceptable to all
religions.

     I hope that clears some things up. If you'd like an analogy, the
Boy Scouts is an organization which takes a somewhat similar stance
but which is more familiar to most. Scouts must be reverent, obey the
Scout oath, and work together with Scouts of all faiths in a worldwide
brotherhood. Eagle Scouts in the Order of Arrow are expected to keep
secrets. [And to answer another question that's come up in this
newsgroup: I can find absolutely zero evidence that Scouting and
Masonry are connected - Baden-Powell does not seem to have been a
Mason, and we have our own group for boys: The Order of DeMolay.]

				go with God (and merry Christmas)

						Peter Trei
						Senior Steward
						Wilder Lodge F&AM
						Leominster, MA.

						ptrei@asgard.bbn.com

PS: If anyone wants to discuss this further by email with me, please
feel free. -- pt

[disclaimer: The above are MY opinions, and do not neccesarily represent
 those of my employer or any Grand Lodge]

jhpb@lancia.garage.att.com (01/04/90)

          2. We are no longer (total) anathema to the Catholic Church.
     Since 1983 it has been permitted for Catholics to join the Masons, at
     least in North America.

You are probably referring to the 1983 changes in the code of canon law.
Someone joining the Masons used to incur an excommunication by that
fact.

The excommunication was changed in 1983.  It is now for secret societies
that plot against the Church.  Perhaps Steve Dyer could post the exact
wording of the canon.

Joe Buehler

dyer@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) (01/07/90)

In article <Jan.4.02.28.27.1990.13768@athos.rutgers.edu> jhpb@lancia.garage.att.com writes:
>You are probably referring to the 1983 changes in the Code of Canon Law.
>Someone joining the Masons used to incur an excommunication by that
>fact. The excommunication was changed in 1983.  It is now for secret societies
>that plot against the Church.  Perhaps Steve Dyer could post the exact
>wording of the canon.

[This is deja vu all over again.  I can't help feel that I posted
something on this a few weeks or months ago. --SD]

What is interesting is not so much the canon, which is concise to a fault,
but the accompanying commentary in my edition.  There was obviously some
disagreement among the bishops on the fate of the Masons.  Some of this
may reflect the completely secularized fraternal nature of some branches
of Masonry, notably in North America.  Ah, episcopal intrigue...

Canon 1374 -- One who joins an association which plots against the Church
              is to be punished with a just penalty; one who promotes or
              moderates such an association, however, is to be punished
              with an interdict.

From the commentary:

"...A relatively recent official development should be duly noted.  During
the revision process [of the Code] a number of bishops, especially the
German bishops. argued that the anti-ecclesial stance of the Masons was still
a relevant consideration even though for the National Conference of Catholic
Bishops and other conferences this was not a major issue.  The former argued
for an explicit condemnation of the Masons in the revised Code; however, both
the Secretariat of the Code Commission and the October 1981 plenarium refused
to incorporate such a provision in the revised Code since apparently the
problem was not perceived to be a universal one warranting such a provision.
Somewhat surprisingly, on the eve of the revised Code's taking effect, the
Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith [i.e., Ratzinger--SD]
published a declaration indicating that Catholics joining the Masons are
involved in serious sin and are to be barred from the Eucharist.  This
judgement was presumably based on the irreconcilability of Masonic principles
and Catholic doctrine.  The declaration also precludes a contrary judgement
by local ecclesiastical authorities that would mitigate the force of the
Congregation's judgement.  This posture seems somewhat contrary to earlier
1974 and 1981 Congregation pronouncements that seemed to be open to a
recognition of the differences in various Masonic associations even if
they opposed formal pronouncements of the conferences of bishops on the
general nature of such associations.

"It is still a bit too soon to clarify fully the implications of this
issue.  However. in dealing with practical questions that may arise,
it seems prudent to recall the traditional principles regarding a strict
interpretation of penal law (cc. 18; 1321-1330)[*].  Such prudence seems
appropriate as well regarding the practical judgement of the serious
sinfulness of Masonic affiliation in a given set of circumstances; the
traditional principles of moral theology seem pertinent in this context.
Furthermore, it seems wise to make every effort to clarify the precise
nature of the Masonic associations in different parts of the world
in order to assist church authorities in making prudent determinations on
membership in such groups."

[*] Canon 18 states:  "Laws which establish a penalty or restrict the free
    exercise of rights or which contain an exception to the law are subject
    to a strict interpretation."  [i.e., not broad; the _minimum_ that their
    application can honestly cover.--SD]

The commentary here seems more than a little arch.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

mlawless@ncrwic.wichita.ncr.com (Mike Lawless) (01/07/90)

In article <Jan.4.02.28.27.1990.13768@athos.rutgers.edu> jhpb@lancia.garage.at
>     Since 1983 it has been permitted for Catholics to join the Masons, at
>     least in North America.
>You are probably referring to the 1983 changes in the code of canon law.
>Someone joining the Masons used to incur an excommunication by that
>fact.
>
>The excommunication was changed in 1983.  It is now for secret societies
>that plot against the Church.  Perhaps Steve Dyer could post the exact

It should be noted however, that just because something is not punishable by
excommunication doesn't mean it's not considered a serious sin.  You won't
find murder (except abortion), armed robbery, rape, arson, kidnapping, or
child molestation listed as offenses incurring excommunication either.  But
few people would argue that these are not serious sins.

For the record, although joining the Masons no longer incurs excommunication,
it is still considered seriously sinful, and is still prohibited by the
Catholic church for all of its members worldwide.

--
Mike Lawless, NCR E&M Wichita, Box 20     (316) 636-8666   (NCR: 654-8666)
3718 N. Rock Road, Wichita, KS  67226     Mike.Lawless@Wichita.NCR.COM