[soc.religion.christian] sidelight on inspiration of Scripture

jeffjs@ihlpb.att.com (01/07/90)

Recently I ran across some notes I took during a sermon a while back.
The chief point of the sermon was that the smallest division in the Bible
is the *book* (except for the Psalms); the chapter and verse divisions are
*not* inspired.  If people merely go to a concordance and pick out all the
verses on a particular topic, different people may arrange those verses
in different ways and get different interpretations of God's ideas on that
topic.  (This preacher didn't use, but certainly implied, the old saying,
"A Bible text out of context is pretext.")  If you want to really know God's
mind on anything, read a whole book of the Bible through to get a total
impression of what that book says about the topic.  And the books say
different things, e.g., Matthew, John, James, Hebrews, and Romans look at
the same general topic (faith) from very different angles.  I'm not sure I
remember this exactly, but he said something like this: Matthew sees faith as
childlike trust; John as an intimate relationship; James as something that
will, if genuine, eventuate in good works; Hebrews as a mental conviction;
and Romans as "saving faith".  And that's just one example.

Considering just how BIG God is, and how complex we are, it makes sense that
God would talk about the same thing in many different ways to meet different
needs and to cover the whole of the topic.  So just picking a verse or two
and saying "The Bible says <thus and so>" is at best a half-truth; the verse
is in the Bible, yes, but it needs to be seen in the context of at least the
book in which it appears, and preferably of the whole Bible, to get the true
meaning of what the Bible is really saying.

I'll close with a couple of mildly humorous notes on the sometimes bogus
versification of the Bible:

I surely wish I could kick the jerk who, for no apparent good reason, put a
verse division in the middle of the "fruit of the Spirit" list in Galatians....

It's been said that the division of the Bible into chapters and verses was
accomplished by a drunken monk riding horseback.  Every time he hiccuped,
he started a new verse; and every time he fell off the horse, he started
a new chapter!

-- Jeff Sargent   att!ihlpb!jeffjs (UUCP), jeffjs@ihlpb.att.com (Internet)
AT&T Bell Laboratories   IH 5A-433   (708) [new area code] 979-5284

[In the OT, even book divisions aren't always significant.  E.g. the
division between I and II Kings is almost certainly just because the
whole thing wouldn't fit on one scroll.  This may even be the case
with Genesis and Exodus, etc. --clh]

mike@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (01/15/90)

In article <Jan.6.21.14.57.1990.6762@athos.rutgers.edu> our moderator writes:

>[In the OT, even book divisions aren't always significant.  E.g. the
>division between I and II Kings is almost certainly just because the
>whole thing wouldn't fit on one scroll.  This may even be the case
>with Genesis and Exodus, etc. --clh]

The Jewish tradition is precisely that Kings is *one* book.  Same with
Chronicles, and Samuel.  Ezra and Nehemiah seem to have been split
similarly, though for different reasons (they aren't nearly as long).

But there is little possibility that Genesis and Exodus were so split.
The term "pentateuch" is quite ancient, and I doubt is was originally a
quadrateuch.  The text has very obvious divisions in content between the books,
so I don't think they were split that way.  Ezra and Nehemiah have such
divisions, but there they are largely superficial, perhaps added later
in order to explain the different names.  In the septuagint, they are
I Esdras and II Esdras respectively, so the names aren't quite as old.

In fact, when deciding what is and isn't sacred scripture, remember that
the titles aren't either.  The titles are church/Jewish tradition, but not
part of the books.  Note in particular that "A Letter to Hebrews" doesn't
look like a letter, and doesn't say anything pertaining to Jewish
Christians in particular.  There is, in fact, no reason to suppose it was
a letter at all.  The same applies to books such as "The Gospel According
to XXX", in which the authorship is indicated *only* in the title, not
the text.

--
    Michael I. Bushnell      \     This above all; to thine own self be true
LIBERTE, EGALITE, FRATERNITE  \    And it must follow, as the night the day,