-------------------

From: kwan@cs.ucla.edu (Edmund Kwan)
[This posting was actually written by Hal Lillywhite
<hall@vice.ico.tek.com>.  Edmund sent it in because of a request from
a reader that responses be posted. Since it apparently was posted in
this group previously, I haven't asked Hal's permission.  --clh]

(I posted this a few months ago, perhaps it is what you remember.
My posting was in response to someone, don't remember who, who
claimed nobody ever backed up a claim of Biblical errors with
specific examples.)

Well, I don't want to spend a lot of time looking up errors but a
couple come to mind immediately.  First, how did Judas die?  Did he
hang himself (Mat 27:5) or did he fall and all his bowels gush out
(Acts 1:18)?   Second, when Saul of Tarsus was on the way to
Damascus and had his vision, what about those who were with him, did
they hear the voice but not see the vision (Acts 9:7) or did they
see the light but not hear the voice (Acts 22:9)?  Admitedly these
are not of great consequence but they are contradictory, so one of
each pair of passages must be in error.

Perhaps of more consequence, John 1:18 says "No man hath seen God at
any time."  However, several OT passages describe theophanies:

Gen 32:30 Jacob saw God face to fact.
Ex 33:11 Moses likewise
Ex 33:23 Moses would see His back parts
Ex 24:9-10 Moses & 70 elders of Israel saw God
>From the NT, Acts 7:56 Stephen sees Jesus on the right hand of God

This list is certainly not exhaustive but only provides examples.

I have also only given contradictions.  There are many other Bible
passages believed to be in error for various reasons.  I do not want
to get into an argument here over their veracity.  This is intended
only to illustrate that there are imperfections.  Also please do not
take this as an indication that I do not study and learn from the
Bible, I do.  I simply realize that the object of my worship is God,
not the book his servants wrote.

From: nunes@ai.toronto.edu (Joe Nunes)
Subject: Re: inconsistency in Bible
Date: 	Mon, 4 Dec 89 11:33:40 EST

In article <Dec.3.12.54.35.1989.23271@athos.rutgers.edu> bnr-fos!bmers58!davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) writes:
>There is no such thing as an inconsistency in the Bible. There are
>several passages which appear, on the surface, to be inconsistent with
>one another. Further research, however, shows them to be entirely
>consistent with not only each other but also all other passages too. If
>anyone really believes that he has found what he feels to be an
>irrefutable inconsistency then please let me know. I'll do my best to
>show the consistency that is being overlooked. I may fail, but that
>will be due to my own lack of understanding and not to God's inability
>to give us a completely consistent message. I welcome the challenge.

OK. Here's one.

There are two versions of Creation. In Version 1 (Gen 1:10-31), God creates
plants on the third day (before He created the sun and the moon, by the way;
they were created on the fourth day), sea creatures and birds on the fifth day,
and all beasts of the earth on the sixth day. After all this, God creates Man,
also on the sixth day. Man is then set to rule over the rest of creation.
   [1:12] And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after its
   kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after its kind
   ... [13] And there was evening and there was morning, the third day. ...
   [21] And God created ... every living creature that moveth, which the
   waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and ... every winged
   fowl after its kind ... [23] And there was evening and there was morning,
   the fifth day. ... [25] And God made the beast of the earth after its kind,
   and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth
   after its kind ... [26] And God said, Let us make man in our image, after
   our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over
   the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over	   every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. ... [31] ... And there
   was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

In Version 2 (Gen 2:4-24), God creates Adam before anything else. Then God
creates creatures of the earth and birds to serve as his help mates. When they
prove insufficient, God creates Eve.
   [2:5] And no plant of the field was yet on the earth, and no herb of the
   field had yet grown: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the
   earth, and there was not man to till the ground. [6] But there went up
   a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground. [7] And
   the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground ... [18] And the Lord
   God said, it is not good that man should be alone: I will make him a help
   meet for him. [19] And out of the ground the Lord formed every beast of
   the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see
   what he would call them ... [20] ... but for Adam there was not found a
   help meet for him. ... [21] And the Lord ... took one of his ribs ... [22]
   And the rib, which the Lord had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought
   her unto man.

Note that the first version specifically states that *every* winged fowl was
created before man, whereas the second version states that *every* fowl of
the air was created after man.

--------------

From: firth@sei.cmu.edu

In article <Dec.3.12.54.35.1989.23271@athos.rutgers.edu> bnr-fos!bmers58!davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) writes:

>There is no such thing as an inconsistency in the Bible.

Dave, you challenge us to point to an inconsistency, for you
(with God's help) to try to resolve.  Here is one of the more
famous ones:

	"And Abraham called the name of that place
	 Jehovah-jireh: as it is said to this day,
	 In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen."

[Genesis xxii:14]

	"And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him,
	 I am the Lord:

	 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and
	 unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but
	 by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them."

[Exodus vi:2-3]

So, did Abraham know the name 'Jehovah', or not?  I believe
the Documentary Hypothesis explains this inconsistency as the
result of a later interpolation in the Genesis text, whose
purpose was to plant evidence that the 'God of Abraham' was
the same as the being that spoke to Moses.  (It is perhaps
inappropriate to discuss in this newsgroup the other names of
either of these entities.)

[This is perhaps an overinterpretation of the documentary hypothesis.
I would say that the Pentateuch simply combines material from several
sources which differ about when the Name was revealed. --clh]

------------------------------------

From: Joe Nunes <nunes@ai.toronto.edu>

[NB: This article came from another group.  It was originally
forwarded by someone else.  I checked with Joe that it was OK to post
it here.  Because of the size of this posting, I have replaced the
Bible passages -- which he gave in extenso -- with citations. --clh]

   A few weeks ago I made the comment that the Gospels do not present a good
biography of Jesus, because they are extremely contradictory. I was then told
that I should read a Harmony of the Gospels, and that this would explain all
the paradoxes I had found. I took this advice and am sorry to report that the
result was exactly the opposite: I am now aware of more contradictions than
before.
   It is clear that the Gospels are based on different sources. The accepted
theory is that Mark was the first gospel. Matthew and Luke both use extensive
portions of Mark, but both Matthew and Luke also use separate sources. John is
assumed to use totally different sources.
   An unbiased reading of the four Gospels must lead one to the conclusion
that in the majority of cases in which an evangelist uses a passage from a
source not available to the others, either one of two things is true: the
passage is not mentioned in the other gospels, or the passage is mentioned in
the other gospels and there are grave contradictions. There are many cases of
huge passages in one Gospel that have no counterpart in the other Gospels (For
example: Luke 9:51-18:14, John 1:19-3:36, 5:1-47, 6:22-71, etc.) There are
also numerous contradictory passages which I now discuss.

   The Bible which I have used is "Good News for Modern Man", American Bible
Society, 3rd edition, 1972.
   I have used two Gospel Harmonies. The first is, "A Gospel Monogram",
Sir W.J. Herschel, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, London, 1911.
This Harmony actually constructs a single text out of the four Gospels and
describes how the Gospels were combined. The second Harmony is, "A Harmony of
the Gospels - The Standard Broadus Harmony thoroughly Revised, Rearranged and
Enlarged", A.T. Robertson, New York, 1922. This Harmony presents the four
Gospels side by side, with numerous explanatory footnotes. There is also a
large section of notes on special points.

		Jesus' Birth
		------------
	MATTHEW 2:1-23
	LUKE 2:4-39

CONTRADICTIONS:
   These are two different versions. To believe that they are not
contradictory we would have to believe that the phrases "left during the night
for Egypt" and "they took the child to Jerusalem" refer to the same event. A
family that has been warned to run away because Herod is trying to kill their
son, takes him to the very city where Herod lives and shows him around the
temple, where he is acclaimed as the Messiah, the very person Herod is trying
to kill.  Further, when Luke says "they returned to Galilee" he really means
that they went to Egypt, stayed a few years, returned but were afraid of
settling in Judea, and finally chose Galilee. The problem is that the two
versions can't be reconciled. In Luke, Nazareth is always their home, they
just go to Bethlehem to register. In Matthew, they only decide to live in
Nazareth *after* they return from Egypt and decide that they can't settle in
Judea. Judea, is their first choice. Why would that be if their home town is
Nazareth, according to Matthew? The two versions are obviously incompatible.
They both tell a story that places Jesus' birth in Bethlehem and gives him a
Nazareth connection in order to fulfill prophecies. They do so in different
ways, however. Matthew complicates matters by also making the story agree with
another prophecy about the Messiah coming from Egypt.
HERSCHEL'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   The Matthew account is tacked on the end of the Luke account without any
explanation. In one sentence, they have returned to their home town of
Nazareth. In the next sentence they are living in Bethlehem. This is hardly a
satisfactory resolution of the problem.
ROBERTSON'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   He starts with Luke's account [2:1-38] up to the time where Jesus is taken
to Jerusalem to be presented at the temple. He nows brings in the rest of
Matthew's account [2:1-23] and makes Matthew's description of the return from
Egypt [19:23] mesh with Luke's [2:39]: "When they had finished doing all that
was required by the Law of the Lord, they returned to Galilee, to their home
town of Nazareth." The unstated assumption must be that Jesus' family left
Jerusalem, returned to Bethlehem, ran away to Egypt, and waited until Herod
died. All this not being mentioned in Luke. This is not very plausible. First
of all, the implication is that Luke's account of Jesus' family departing
Jerusalem to return to Nazareth, is really an account of a departure from
Egypt. Luke, however, states that the departure took place after they had
fulfilled the Law. This obviously refers to their trip to Jerusalem. How could
a multi-year trip to Egypt be encapsulated in the phrase "when they had
finished ..."?. Another problem is that Luke states that Nazareth was their
home town. Why then would they go from Jerusalem back to Bethlehem, and be
living in a house at the time of the arrival of the "wise men", if they had
only gone to Bethlehem to register and their home was in Nazareth? Why, upon
their return from Egypt, would they have considered Judea as their first choice
of dwelling place if their home was in Nazareth? The two accounts simply do not
mesh.

		Peter called to be a disciple
		-----------------------------
	MATTHEW 4:12-19
	JOHN 1:35-43

CONTRADICTIONS:
   The two accounts are contradictory. In Matthew, Jesus goes to
Galilee after John is arrested and there he meets Andrew and Peter who are
fishermen. In John, Andrew is one of John's disciples and brings Peter to meet
Jesus in the Jordan. Only then does Jesus go to Galilee (with his disciples).
Only later is John arrested.
HERSCHEL'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   The account by John is told first. The account of Matthew is told much
later, with the implication that the event Matthew describes is *not* Peter
being called to be a disciple: Jesus already knows him. This is not very
plausible. Jesus' words to Peter, as told by Matthew, make little sense if
Peter is already Jesus' disciple. Also, it makes no sense for Peter to have
been made a disciple, then somehow become a fisherman, and then called to end
his fishing career and join Jesus full time.
ROBERTSON'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   Same as Herschel's. Robertson notes the problem but says that Peter and
Andrew must have become fishermen after having met Jesus and only later followed
Jesus full time. As I noted above, this makes no sense. After Jesus makes his
first disciples (including Peter and Andrew), John mentions that Jesus goes to
Cana in Galilee with his disciples, [turns the water into wine, at a wedding],
then to Capernaum with his disciples, then to Jerusalem with his disciples
[where he cleanses the Temple], then to Judea again with his disciples, then
to Samaria also with his disciples. Then he went to Galilee (his disciples are
not mentioned). Are we to believe that Peter and Andrew left some time before,
went ahead of Jesus to Galilee, then became fishermen, and then followed him
again when he came by the sea of Galilee? This does not seem very plausible.
Also, in Matthew, Mark and Luke (Mark and Luke also have the same incident in
the sea of Galilee) no mention of any disciple is made before the incident at
Galilee. This suggests very strongly that, according to Matthew, Mark and
Luke, that was the first time that Jesus made disciples.

		Mary anointing Jesus with perfume
		---------------------------------
	MATTHEW 26:7
	JOHN 12:3

CONTRADICTIONS:
   In Matthew, the perfume is poured on his head. In John, on his feet.
HERSCHEL'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   He combines the two accounts: Mary pours the perfume both on Jesus' head and
on his feet. This does not follow from either account.
ROBERTSON'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   He does not remark on the contradiction.
		The meal at Bethany
		-------------------
	MATTHEW 22:10, 17, 26:6-7
	JOHN  12:1-3, 12

CONTRADICTIONS:
   Matthew place the incident at Bethany after Jesus' triumphant arrival to
Jerusalem. John places it after.
HERSCHEL'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   He moves Matthew 26:6 back before Matthew 21:10 so that it refers to a trip
to Bethany not mentioned anywhere else in Matthew, and matches with John's
account. Then he moves Matthew 28:18-19 (the description of Jesus' return from
Bethany) in between 21:11 and 21:12, so that this return refers to the
hypothetical trip to Bethany not mentioned in Matthew. The trip to Bethany
described in Matthew 21:10 is assumed to involve no noteworthy incidents.
I am not convinced.
ROBERTSON'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   Unlike Herschel, Robertson moves John 12:8 *forward* so that it meshes with
Matthew's account of the meal taking place after the entry into Jerusalem.
He assumes that John quotes this passage out of sequence. Not a very convincing
solution.

		Throwing out the moneylenders from the Temple
	MATTHEW 21:10-12
	JOHN 2:13-14, 3:22, 7:1, 12:12

CONTRADICTIONS:
   In Matthew, the throwing out of the moneylenders happens a few days before
Jesus' death. In John, it happens at the beginning of his ministry, before his
final visit to Jerusalem.
HERSCHEL'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   He merges the two accounts so that are two episodes of Jesus throwing out
defilers of the Temple. Does not seem plausible that Jesus would do such a
momentous action twice.
ROBERTSON'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   Same as Herschel's. He notes the problem but claims there is no problem with
having such an event occur twice.

		The Last Supper
		---------------
	LUKE 22:7-8
	JOHN 13:1-2, 18:28

CONTRADICTIONS:
   Luke (and Matthew and Mark) places the Last Supper on Passover. John places
it the day *before* Passover. The morning after Jesus' arrest the Passover
meal had not yet been eaten by the Jews of Jerusalem.
HERSCHEL'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   In the version of the Bible he uses, the opening of John's account is "Now
before the feast of the passover ...". He makes both descriptions be about a
single Passover meal. However, the later passage in John, in which the Jews are
said to refuse to enter the palace so they can be clean for the passover meal is
added to the account of Jesus' arrest without an explanation. He does not
explain how it is possible for the meal described in John to be the Passover
meal, and yet, the next day the Jews had not yet eaten the Passover meal.
ROBERTSON'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   He notes the problem, but claims that there is no contradiction. He says
that the phrase "Now before the feast of the passover ..." (in his version of
John) is not connected to the subsequent description of the meal. So that
a gap of a day takes place between them. The problem of the Jews not having
yet eaten the Passover the next morning (as described in John) is dealt with by
claiming that they are merely referring to another meal of the Passover
festival not *the* Passover meal. Once again: not very convincing.

		Jesus' trial
		------------
	MATTHEW 26:57, 27:1-2
	LUKE 22:54, 65
	JOHN 18:12, 13, 24, 28

CONTRADICTIONS:
   In Matthew, the elders have already met that night in Caiaphas' house and
they question Jesus that evening. In Luke, the elders only meet in the morning,
and question Jesus then. In John, Jesus is first questioned by Annas, then he
is sent to Caiaphas and questioned by him, finally he is sent to Pilate. There
is no mention of the elders.
HERSCHEL'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   Once again, everything is merged. He has Jesus being brought to the house of
Caiaphas where the elders are already gathered. He is sent to Annas and
questioned. Then he is sent to Caiaphas. In the morning he is sent to the
elders where he is questioned. The passage in Matthew where he is questioned by
the elders, in the evening of his arrest, is moved up to the morning.
Presumably, the elders gathered in Caiaphas' house in the evening and then
waited until morning before interrogating him. This is not very credible. Also
why is there no mention of Jesus' interrogation by the elders in John, whereas
there is no mention of the interrogation by Annas in Matthew or Luke?
ROBERTSON'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   Same as Herschel's.

		Peter denying Jesus
		-------------------
	MATTHEW 27:69-74
	LUKE 22:56-60
	JOHN 18:17, 25-27

CONTRADICTIONS:
   In Matthew and Luke, all those who challenge Peter accuse him of having
been with Jesus. In John, they ask Peter if he was. Peter's answers differ in
all three accounts. For example, his first denial:
		MATTHEW: "I don't know what you are talking about."
		LUKE:    "Woman, I don't even know him!"
		JOHN:    "No I am not."
A final iron-clad contradiction is that Matthew states that the person
challenging him the second time is a *woman*, while Luke states it is a *man*.
HERSCHEL'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   He runs all the accounts together so that there are 7 denials. He claims,
however, that only three are grave enough to be considered denials. The problem
is that, with this approach, in no one account does Peter deny Christ three
times: we need to combine the different accounts to get 3 denials. This is not
even a remotely convincing solution.
ROBERTSON'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   He agrees that "the details differ considerably, as must always be the case
where in each narrative a few facts are selected out of many sayings and
doings." He, in fact, agrees that the Gospels do not provide verbatim
accounts.

		The inscription on the cross
		----------------------------

	MATTHEW
[17:37] This is Jesus, the King of the Jews
	MARK
[15:26] The King of the Jews
	LUKE
[23:38] This is the King of the Jews
	JOHN
[19:19] Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews
CONTRADICTIONS:
   They all differ. The inscription could have only said one thing. Three of
them must be wrong.
HERSCHEL'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   He has the inscription be: "This is Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews"
The best this does is admit that all three evangelists omitted part of the
inscription on their account. They are still wrong.
ROBERTSON'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   The different inscriptions are not commented upon.

		Jesus' last words
		-----------------
	MATTHEW 27:46-50
	LUKE 23:46
	JOHN 19:28-30

CONTRADICTIONS:
   Jesus' last words differ in these three accounts.
HERSCHEL'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   Once again all versions are combined. Jesus cries "Eli! Eli! ..., then he
says he is thirsty, then someone brings him some cheap wine, then he says "It
is finished!", then he cries "Father! ...", then he dies. So when John says
"Then he bowed his head and died" he really means "Then he bowed his head and
cried out in a loud voice 'Father! ...' and died". It is not very believable
that John would omit such an important detail as Jesus' last words on the
cross.
ROBERTSON'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   Same as Herschel's.

		Jesus' resurrection
		-------------------
	MATTHEW 28:1-17
	MARK 16:1-19
	LUKE 24:1-51
	JOHN 20:1-19, 26, 21:1

CONTRADICTIONS:
   I hardly know where to begin; there are so many contradictions. I'll just
list some of the major problems:
   *** First people to see the tomb early Sunday
      MATTHEW: Mary Magdalene and the other Mary
      MARK:    Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, Salome
      LUKE:    Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, Joanna, other women
      JOHN:    Mary Magdalene
   *** What they see
      MATTHEW: An angel rolling away the stone and sitting on it, on the
		  way back they see Jesus as they run
      MARK:    The stone already rolled away, a young man sitting inside
      LUKE:    The stone already rolled away, two men standing inside
      JOHN:    The stone already rolled away, an empty tomb, they run back to
		  get Peter and John, they also see an empty tomb then leave,
		  Mary then sees two angels sitting inside, she then turns
		  around and sees Jesus
   *** Appearances of Jesus
      MATTHEW: Mary Magdalene and the other Mary; some time later he appears to
		  the 11 in Galilee (where Jesus said he'd meet them)
      MARK:    Mary Magdalene; then to two disciples; then to the 11 as they
		  are eating together; then he ascends to heaven (Note that
		  Mark 16:1-8 and Mark 16:9-19 seem to be different accounts)
      LUKE:    two disciples (the same day); then to the 11 in Jerusalem (the
		  same evening), takes them to Bethany ans ascends heaven
      JOHN:    Mary Magdalene (on her second trip to the grave); then to the
		  11 minus Thomas (the same evening); then to the full 11
		  (a week later); some time later to 7 disciples as Lake
		  Tiberias
HERSCHEL'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   This was one problem that he did not attempt to solve simply by dumping all
the accounts into a pot. He had to do some pretty vigorous stirring in order
to get one single account. This may be as confusing to tell as it was to read
but here it goes ...
Mary M., Mary the mother of James and Salome bring spices to the grave
(before the resurrection) [Mark 16:1]. Then Herschel places Matthew
28:2 before Matthew 28:1 so that the earthquake occurs before anyone reaches
the tomb [looks suspiciously like cheating]. The angel comes and sits down but
doesn't say anything. The account of the angel speaking to the woman
[Matthew 28:5] is made to be that of another angel later on! Herschel assumes
that Matthew omitted the fact that after the women arrive at the grave (without
seeing an angel sitting on the rock) lots of other people come and go before
anyone talks to an angel (the young man described by Mark is assumed
to be the angel that talks to the women in Matthew 28:5 [with me so far?]). So
Herschel now brings in John's account of Mary coming to the grave, going back
to get Peter and John, Peter and John arriving at the grave and then leaving.
Mary then goes inside, sees two angels sitting, talks with them then sees
Jesus and talks to him, and then returns to tell the disciples. Now Herschel
brings in Luke's account of Mary M., Mary mother of James, Joanna and other
women coming to the grave. He makes this mesh with Mark's "they went to the
grave" [16:2] even though the "they" in Mark refers to the two Marys and
Salome. They see a young man sitting inside [Mark 16:5]. Herschel now makes the
young man's words be the same as the words of Matthew 28:5, even though those
were spoken by the angel sitting on the stone. Herschel now brings in Luke
24:3-7, so that the women are amazed to not find the body of Jesus (even though
a young man has just told them Jesus has risen, and Mary has already spoken to
Jesus!). They then see two men in the tomb who tell them Jesus is risen. Then
Jesus appears to them as they run back to tell the disciples [Jesus appears to
Mary for the 2nd time] and tells them he'll see the disciples in Galilee. They
tell the others but are disbelieved. Jesus then appears the same day to two
disciples. They tell the others but are disbelieved. Then Jesus appears to them
that evening. Mark says that he appeared to the 11, while John says he appeared
to the 11 minus Thomas. Herschel states that Jesus appears to the 11, and after
a while says that Thomas wasn't there [so obviously he did not appear to the 11,
but to the 10]. Then he breaks off Mark's and Luke's account and follows
John's. Jesus comes back after a week [even though Mark states that the
above-mentioned appearance was his last] and this time Thomas is there. Then he
appears at the sea of Tiberias. Now Herschel brings in Matthew's account of the
11 going to Galilee and worshipping Jesus, though some doubted [even though
they've already seen him; 10 of them twice; 7 of them three times!] Herschel
brings in the account of Acts which says Jesus stayed on earth for 40 days
[Acts 1:3] Now he continues Luke's account which was set on the evening of the
resurrection and continues Jesus' words as if they take place at this later
time! Jesus then takes them to Bethany and ascends to heaven. I don't think
that any more comments are necessary!
ROBERTSON'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   He places the accounts side by side without too many comments. I really
don't want to go into a thorough analysis again. Robertson's account is equally
unsatisfactory. I will just give the beginning of his outline. Matthew and
Mark's account of the first visit to the grave is placed late Saturday. The
angel rolling away the stone, early Sunday, is assumed to do so unobserved
[Mat 28:2-4]. Then all four accounts are given side by side (up to the time
that the women arrive to tell the disciples).  One of the problems with this is
that Matthew [28:5] now has an angel talking to a group of unspecified women
(since the two Mary's came Saturday night, we have to assume that Matthew
starts talking about "the women" without having previously mentioned any group
coming to the grave on Sunday). Robertson makes no attempt to explain the
discrepancies between the accounts (e.g. Mark has two men, Luke has two men,
Matthew has an angel, John has no one at all (the two men are only present
on the second trip to the grave).

		Judas' death
		------------
	MATTHEW 27:5-8
	ACTS 1:18-19

CONTRADICTIONS:
   In Matthew Judas hangs himself. In Acts he falls to his death. In Matthew
the chief priests buy the field. In Acts Judas buys the field. In Matthew the
field is called "Field of Blood" because it is a cemetery for foreigners. In
Acts, because Judas' spilled his blood there.
HERSCHEL'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   He does not bring in the conflicting passage from Acts - even though he does
bring in other passages from Acts in other places.
ROBERTSON'S PROPOSED SOLUTION:
   The two conflicting passages are place side by side without comment.

Some final points:

   The usual way that a believer attempts to disprove that two passages are
contradictory is by merging the problematic accounts. For instance, let us say
that Matthew has the passage, "Jesus said X and then he died", whereas John
has the passage, "Jesus said Y and then he died." Since Matthew does not state
"Jesus said X and then said nothing else before he died", it can be claimed
that in reality Jesus said X then said Y and then he died. Such a hypothesis
is not impossible. It is, however, extremely unlikely. Anyone reading these
accounts with an unbiased mind will have to reach the conclusion that the two
passages were contradictory. This is especially true when the conflicting
passages are of the form, "Jesus did X then Z", and "Jesus did X then Y1 then
... then Yn then Z". There are many such contradictions and their cumulative
effect is, to my mind, conclusive. A believer would, of course, argue that,
since he has such positive evidence from other sources that the Gospels are
the literal word of God, even a .001% probability that the Gospels are not
contradictory would be good enough for him. I cannot argue with such a stand,
nor would I wish to. The problem, however, is that there are many passages
which *are* 100% contradictory. Particularly important passages which cannot
be resolved are the accounts of Jesus' birth and resurrection.
   I have not gone through all this trouble to attempt to destroy anyone's
beliefs (I doubt that I could succeed even if I wished to). I did this because
I very much resent being told that the only reason I have not found Jesus is
because I have refused to open my eyes. Well, as a matter of fact I have opened
my eyes and read the Gospels and that has led to me to the conclusion that
they are not the literal word of God and that a great portion of their accounts
of the life and death of Jesus is fictional. I can accept that you have an
absolute certainty that Jesus is the son of God, that he died for our sins,
etc. Why can't you accept that I have the opposite certainty, and that I have
come by it honestly?

   In conclusion, I challenge anyone to resolve *all* the contradictions
presented in this posting.

------------------

A concluding unscientific postscript from your moderator:

I would very much appreciate it if we did not get into detailed
discussions of every individual passage.  I'm sure people are going to
want to give detailed responses, but please pick some representative
cases.  I'm not going to accept any more articles pointing out
inconsistencies, simply because I think the sample above is more than
we need as a basis for discussion.  In some ways it might be more
useful to see general responses on the subject of what people think
about inconsistencies of this sort.  Of course many Christians will
say "what inconsistencies?"  They will attempt to show that the
passages can be understood in a manner that is consistent.  However
there are also a number of Christians who do not see inconsistency as
a threat.  (Indeed for much of the scholarly community, these
differences are an important tool.  Only by comparing different
accounts of the same event can we try to see the perspectives of the
different authors/editors.)  I happen to believe that the editors knew
they had a variety of source material, and intentionally preserved
that variety for us to see.  Many Christians find it sufficient to
accept the Bible as reasonably accurate history, which can be judged
the same way as any other historical document.  In other settings, we
do not expect multiple witnesses to give identical accounts.

usenet@paris.ics.uci.edu (12/11/89)

I'm afraid I'm not able to resolve the incosistancies presented
in the digest recently.  Nor do I have much to add to what OFM
already mentioned in his closing notes for that digest.  I would
like to add an illustration that helps me live with contradictions
in many areas of life.  I do not claim that this illustration
applies to all contradictions presented in the recent posting.

  Imagine that I am in a field facing two blind persons and there is a
  water fountain between them.  If the one to my left asks me which
  direction the fountain is I would say "to your left".  Both start
  moving left and I say to the other, "no, it is to your right".

On a separate issue, I suppose that the concern over contradictions
is the "infallible word of God" thing.  Well, I don't know about all
that but I do know that none of the contradictions are of the sort,
"Jesus said 'do to others as you would have them do to you'" in Matt,
and "Jesus said, 'do to others as they do to you'" in Luke, or better yet,
"Jesus died for our sins" in Romans, and "Jesus did not die for our sins"
in Hebrews.

My opinion is that God placed redundancy checks on all the really important
stuff He wanted us to get because He knows what a bunch of goofs we are.

--wayne (iba@ics.uci.edu)
"All men will know that you are my disciples if you love one another" Jn 13.35

hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) (12/11/89)

>From: Joe Nunes <nunes@ai.toronto.edu>

[Many examples of inconsistencies deleted, some I regard as phoney
but most are real]

>Some final points:

>   I have not gone through all this trouble to attempt to destroy anyone's
>beliefs (I doubt that I could succeed even if I wished to). I did this because
>I very much resent being told that the only reason I have not found Jesus is
>because I have refused to open my eyes. Well, as a matter of fact I have opened
>my eyes and read the Gospels and that has led to me to the conclusion that
>they are not the literal word of God and that a great portion of their accounts
>of the life and death of Jesus is fictional. I can accept that you have an
>absolute certainty that Jesus is the son of God, that he died for our sins,
>etc. Why can't you accept that I have the opposite certainty, and that I have
>come by it honestly?

I'm not sure but Joe almost seems to be saying that he cannot be a
Christian because he cannot accept Biblical inerrancy.  If so I hope
he will reconsider.  Many Christians reject inerrancy.  I think this
may be an example of the mischief which can be done by insisting
that all who believe in Jesus must believe exactly the same way
someone else does.  We may drive people away over differences which
are not really central to Christianity.

It seems to me that there are 4 possible positions a Christian can
take with respect to Biblical inerrancy:

	1.  The Bible is totally inerrant and all must believe this
	to be saved.

	2.  The Bible is totally inerrant but belief in this is not
	a condition of salvation.

	3.  The Bible is not inerrant and all must believe this.

	4.  The Bible is not inerrant but those who believe
	otherwise can still be saved.

I suspect that very few would agree with position 1.  After all the
New Testament indicates we must believe in Jesus to be saved but I
can't think of any indication that a belief in Biblical
inerrancy is necessary.  In fact through the ages the Bible has had
little relevance for many illiterate Christians and I suspect few
people would call literacy a requirement for salvation.

Likewise, position 3 is unlikely to be widely accepted.  Those who
reject inerrancy are probably unlikely to think that salvation
requires all to believe as they do.  Again the central required
belief is of Jesus Christ and differing beliefs will be allowed in
other areas.

This leaves us with 2 positions which I suspect between them attract
the great majority of Christians:  The Bible may or may not be
inerrant but salvation does not depend upon which of these beliefs a
person has.  Certainly there are many in each camp but I would like
to see the disagreement kept at least civilized.

My own view is that inerrancy is neither necessary to a belief in
Jesus nor a very tenable position.  Men (and women) are not perfect
and that includes the prophets who recorded the scriptures.  While I
recognize that some claim that these prophets and the people who
copied and translated the scriptures down through the ages were
given some special ability to avoid error, I do not agree with this
claim.  The various translations of the Bible available today are
abundant proof that at the very least some regard certain versions
as unclear.  In fact the Christian world does not even agree on which
books should be included in the Bible.

One thing which I admit disturbs me about the inerrantists is that
at least all those I've talked to seem start from a belief that it
must be inerrant because God is perfect and therefore the book he
gave us must also be perfect.  Yet these same people seem to have no
difficulty with the idea that a perfect God could create man who
then became imperfect.  If he allows us enough freedom to sin why
would he not allow us enough to make mistakes (or maybe even
deliberate changes) in the Bible.  Even if it's not perfect God can
work through it for our salvation.

davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) (12/11/89)

In article <Dec.7.04.58.23.1989.925@athos.rutgers.edu> christian@geneva.rutgers.edu writes:
>... I hope combining them will encourage people to
>try to generate responses to the issue as a whole and not to each
>individual posting.

I have chosen to begin by responding to a few of the inconsistencies
which people believe they have found. Responding to all of them at once
would make this posting become unmanageably large. My apologies to
those whose items have been omitted on this pass.

I understand our moderator's concern that this discussion not become a
massive deludge of articles which he could not possibly manage. I shall
respect his descretion regarding whether or not he would like me to
post articles dealing with the rest of the items. I am, therefore,
requesting his decision on this matter and will not post further
articles resolving individual cases of perceived inconsistency until he
has given his approval.

I believe that perfect harmony throughout the Scriptures is absolutely
essential to our faith. If we were trusting in a God who could not even
give us a consistent message then we would be trusting in a flawed God.
If we were trusting in a flawed God then we would be unable to be sure
of exactly what His various promises and their associated conditions
are. If we were unable to precisely know this sort of information then
our faith would be in vain as we would be unable to be sure of our
salvation. Those people who compromise by surmising that, while God is
perfect, He permitted His human authors to make mistakes, not only are
undermining the importance which God Himself has attached to His own
Word but also are showing at least a tinge of evidence that they
subconsciously suspect that God is either not really omnipotent or does
not care about us very much.

We can not be sure of anything at all if we do not have an irrefutable
source of truthful information. The Scriptures declare themselves to be
the only source of this irrefutably truthful data. If this claim of
theirs is false then the entire Bible would be one great big lie. It is
not acceptable for someone who professes Christianity to sit on the
fence. If he is trusting in a perfect God then he must necessarily
believe that that very same perfect God is not lying to him. It is
impossible to believe in a God who does not lie yet has permitted lies
to creep into the one and only source of information which He has
declared to be reliable. It is my hope that you will be able to see
from the following that even when it appears almost hopeless there
always is a scenario that brings complete harmony to the Scriptures. It
is such, and only such, a scenario that can be relied upon as being the
absolute truth.

There are two accounts of the events surrounding the death of Judas
Iscariot. Matthew 27:5 says "And he cast down the pieces of silver in
the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.". Acts 1:18 says
"Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and
falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels
gushed out.". These two passages are giving us different details about
the same event. One says that Judas hanged himself and the other says
that he fell headlong, split in half, and spilled his bowels all over
the place. Perhaps a scenario like the following took place. Judas
climbed up very high into a tree and tied one end of a rope around a
branch of that tree and the other end of that rope around his neck. He
then leapt out of the tree. On the way down his feet caught on another
branch, causing him to flip over. As he flipped over the rope finally
became fully extended and snapped (perhaps it slipped off either his
neck or the branch as he tied lousy knots). He continued to fall, now
with his head pointing down, until he smashed into the ground. The
force of the impact caused him to break into pieces, leaving a rather
big mess. This sequence of events is entirely possible because there is
no evidence that Judas poseessed the skills of a professional hangman.
He had become abhorred with his betrayal of Jesus and made a rather
messy job of committing suicide in the midst of his misery. Matthew, a
tax collector, was probably more interested in reporting the technical
details of how Judas went about the act of killing himself. Luke, who
wrote the book of Acts, a physician, was probably more interested in
the results of what Judas had done. Perhaps Matthew talked with someone
who saw Judas preparing to hang himself and then ran away as he didn't
want to watch whereas Luke talked with someone who saw the mess that
was left after the event took place. In any event, I believe that at
least one of the reasons that God has events reported on in this way is
to test our faith, i.e. do we immediately jump to the conclusion that
there must be an error or do we put in the extra effort, assuming that
there is no error, to find a way of relating all of the different
reports together in a manner that is consistent with the author's
flawlessness.

There are two accounts of what those who were with Saul of Tarsus saw
and heard when Saul met Christ while on his way to Damascus. Acts 9:7
says "And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a
voice, but seeing no man.". Acts 22:9 says "And they that were with me
saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of
him that spake to me.". The first appears to say that they saw nothing
and heard something. The second appears to say that they saw something
and heard nothing. When looking a little closer at the precise wording,
however, there is really no inconsistency at all. The first passage
says that they did not see a man, i.e. they did not see Christ, whereas
the second passage says that they did see a light. This would mean
that, while they did see some sort of light, they did not actually see
Jesus Himself. God only permitted the others to see part of the much
more complete vision which Saul saw. The first passage says that they
heard a voice whereas the second passage says that they did not hear
the voice of the one who spoke to Saul. Taken strictly literally, this
may mean that there was more than one voice but only one, that of
Jesus, which they did not hear, spoke to Saul. The additional voice
could have been that of Saul himself when he asked "who art thou,
Lord?". Another way of interpreting these passages, the one which I
believe to be more correct, is that while the others heard the voice
they could not make out the actual words that were spoken.

John 1:18 says "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten
Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared {him}.".
There are, however, numerous passages which appear to say exactly the
opposite, i.e. that some men have seen God. Here are a few examples.
Genesis 32:30 says "And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for
I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.". Exodus
24:9-10 says "Then went up Moses, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and
seventy of the elders of Israel: And they saw the God of Israel: and
{there was} under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone,
and as it were the body of heaven in {his} clearness.". Exodus 33:11
says "And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh
unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant
Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the
tabernacle.". Acts 7:55-56 says "But he, being full of the Holy Ghost,
looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus
standing on the right hand of God, And said, Behold, I see the heavens
opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.". The
resolution to this aparent conflict is revealed in Exodus 33:18-23 when
Moses asks God if he can have a good look at Him. Note that the two
passages previously quoted which appear to tell us that Moses saw God
preceed this one in which Moses clearly indicates that he has not yet
seen Him. It says "And he said, I beseech thee, show me thy glory. And
he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will
proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom
I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. And
he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and
live. And the LORD said, Behold, {there is} a place by me, and thou
shalt stand upon a rock: And it shall come to pass, while my glory
passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover
thee with my hand while I pass by: And I will take away mine hand, and
thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.". While
numerous people may have seen God in one form or another, no one has
seen God exactly as He is and in His full glory. God appeared to Jacob
as though He were a man. God showed Himself to Moses, Aaron, Nadab,
Abihu, and the seventy elders as a figurative image of what He is like.
When God spoke face to face with Moses at the door of the tabernacle He
was within a cloud so that Moses could not actually see Him. While
Stefan did state that he could see God's glory, I think it would be
safe to assume that God only let him see a little bit of it, i.e.
something like the edge of HIs glory which Moses was permitted to see.
We will only see God exactly as He is, i.e. in His "natural" state,
when we get to heaven. 1 John 3:2 says "Beloved, now are we the sons of
God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that,
when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he
is.".

Many people have significant trouble finding consistency between the
two accounts of the childhood of Jesus given in Matthew 2 and Luke 2.
These two accounts do not conflict with each other in any way. This is
the actual sequence of events which took place. Luke 2:1-5 tells us of
Joseph's and Mary's trip from Nazareth of Galilee to Bethlehem of Judea
while she was pregnant with Jesus. Luke 2:6-20 tells us of all the
events that took place on the night that Jesus was born in Bethlehem.
Luke 2:21 tells us that eight days after His birth, Jesus was
circumcised and formally given His name. Luke 2:22-38 tell us of events
that took place in the temple 40 days after Jesus was born. These
events include the sacrifice that was to be given at that time for the
firstborn son, the encounter with Simeon, and the encounter with Anna.
We can conclusively know that these events took place 40 days after the
birth of Jesus because Luke 2:23-24 refers us back to Leviticus 12:8,
the whole law pertaining to a birth being described in all of Leviticus
12. Luke 2:39 (probably the most misunderstood verse in all of these
two chapters) is a one verse summary of all of Matthew 2. All things
according to the law had to be performed, i.e. a bunch of prophesies
had to be fulfilled, and then they finally returned to their home town
of Nazareth. For the first couple of years they remained in Bethlehem.
The wise men eventually arrived there and found them living in a house
(Matthew 2:11). Matthew 2:1-11 tell us about wise men from the east
(and nowhere does it say that there were exactly 3 wise men), shortly
after the birth of Jesus, began to follow a star which led them to
Bethlehem where they found Jesus and presented their gifts to Him.
Matthew 2:16 tells us that the wise men arrived in Bethlehem
approximately two years after the birth of Jesus; this necessarily
means that Joesph, Mary and Jesus remained in Bethlehem for that length
of time. Matthew 2:12 tells us of God's warning of the wise men to
return via a different route than they had come and not to stop in and
see Herod on the way. Matthew 2:13-15 tells us of God's warning of
Joseph in a dream that Herod wanted to kill Jesus and of their
subsequent trip to Egypt. Matthew 2:16-18 tells us of Herod's massacre
of all the children who were the approximate age of Jesus. Matthew
2:19-23 tells us of their return to Israel, their desire to live in
Judea, but their decision to live in Nazareth. This brings us to the
end of Matthew 2 and also to their return to Nazareth which is the
final statement of Luke 2:39. Luke 2:40-41 gives us a few brief facts
about the childhood of Jesus from this time until He reached the age of
12. Luke 2:42-52 tells us about their trip to the temple in Jerusalem
when Jesus was 12 years old.

    Dave Mielke, 613-726-0014
    856 Grenon Avenue
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    K2B 6G3

dtate@unix.cis.pitt.edu (David M Tate) (12/15/89)

[In article <Dec.11.03.53.41.1989.23684@athos.rutgers.edu>
hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) lists a range of positions
related in inerrancy.  --clh]

I'd go rather further than this.  I defy you to come up with a definition of
"inerrant" that makes any sense at all.  The question is not "is the Bible
inerrant", but "What on earth could these people possibly mean when they say
'inerrant'".

Before you leap in and say "containing no errors", stop and think: what is an
error?  Is an error something contrary to historical fact?  What about parables,
then?  If there never was a Prodigal Son, does that make the Bible "errant"?
What about metaphor?  When Jesus says "You are the salt of the earth", is he
lying, because we know we're not really salt?  If Eve was actually made from
Adam's zyphoid process, and not an actual 'rib', does that make the Bible
untrustworthy?

Think about it.

--
            David M. Tate                 |  DISCLAIMER:
      dtate@unix.cis.pitt.edu             |     "Hey, that's *my* dis!"

[Inerrancy is normally based on the original autographs, interpreted
as intended by the author.  The original autographs are specified
because it is not claimed that tranmission of the text is without
error, though usually inerrantists believe that the errors have been
quite few, and they often adopt fairly conservative positions in
matters of textual criticism.  By interpreted as intended by the
authors I mean that one has to take metaphors into account.  If for a
definition you require an effective procedure (in the computer science
sense) for deciding when there is a metaphor, you're obviously right
that one is not likely to be forthcoming.  But I'm not convinced that
this is a serious problem.  Few issues issues turn on a question of
what is and is not metaphor.  This is generally pretty clear to
everybody.  "This is my body" is probably one of the few (maybe
only?).  Although there are rough edges here and there, I don't think
there's any serious problem knowing what implications inerrancy has
for Biblical interpretation.  It doesn't solve all problems, as there
are serious disagreements among those who accept it.  But it certainly
rules out quite a large number of possible interpretations, and
narrows the range of disagreement quite significantly.  --clh]

phys-bb@garnet.berkeley.edu (12/15/89)

I just want to put in my 2 cents worth into this discussion.

It doesn't matter to me if the Bible has little warts on
it here and there.  It's better to take book as an organic whole,
not as some type of computer code where if
one little comma is left out you get major screwups.
My faith rests on the historical fact of the resurrection and
emanates from that.

All this having been said, I think a lot of people are too
quick to say that there are inconsistencies in the Bible.  They
don't think deeply enough about the specific passages in question.
Also, part of the problem is that we can't precisely reconstruct
the contexts in which these various passages were written.

I applaud Dave Mielke's comments on specific problem passages
(sorry, I forgot to include his article), like the two accounts
of the early life of Jesus, the 'no man has seen God. . .' passage,
etc.

Here is another 'contradictory' pair.  Let no one say these are
contradictory passages without considering these thoughts.
Matthew and Luke give two different genealogies for Jesus.  The
discrepancy sticks out like a sore thumb; thus the Bible compilers
must have known about it, and they don't seem to have been too
troubled by it.  The standard answer to this 'inconsistency' is
to say that one list is Jesus' ancestry through Joseph and the other
through Mary.  But both go through a man named Joseph.  So what
do we think.

Well, there were more than one Joseph around in Jesus's day.  In
fact, ancient traditions have Joseph, Mary's husband, dying early
in Jesus's life, so that Jesus came under the care of Joseph of
Arimathea, who was Mary's uncle.  This is why Luke says that 'it
was supposed' that Jesus was the son of Joseph; it's talking of
Joe of A.  Matthew can only say that Joseph was the husband of
Mary, since Jesus had no physical father.  So Luke actually does
go through Mary's bloodline.

phys-bb@garnet.berkeley.edu	   ". . .into the narrow lanes,
(John Warren)			    I can't stumble or stay put. . ."

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (12/15/89)

hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) writes:
>It seems to me that there are 4 possible positions a Christian can
>take with respect to Biblical inerrancy:
>	1.  The Bible is totally inerrant and all must believe this to be saved.
>	2.  The Bible is totally inerrant but belief in this is not
>	a condition of salvation.
>	3.  The Bible is not inerrant and all must believe this.
>	4.  The Bible is not inerrant but those who believe
>	otherwise can still be saved.

There are also two different views on the definition of `inerrancy':

	1. The Bible as we know it is totally without error.

	2. The Bible as it was originally written was without error, but
	   that does not mean that the extant manuscripts are without
	   error.

I hold to position 2.

--
Geoff Allen                  \   Wise men still seek Him.
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \           -----

dtate@unix.cis.pitt.edu (David M Tate) (12/17/89)

Our longsuffering moderator writes:

>[Inerrancy is normally based on the original autographs, interpreted
>as intended by the author.  The original autographs are specified
>because it is not claimed that tranmission of the text is without
>error,

That's funny; most inerrantists I know seem to think that God spoke in early
seventeenth century English... :-)

 though usually inerrantists believe that the errors have been
>quite few, and they often adopt fairly conservative positions in
>matters of textual criticism.  By interpreted as intended by the
>authors I mean that one has to take metaphors into account.  If for a
>definition you require an effective procedure (in the computer science
>sense) for deciding when there is a metaphor, you're obviously right
>that one is not likely to be forthcoming.  But I'm not convinced that
>this is a serious problem.  Few issues issues turn on a question of
>what is and is not metaphor.  This is generally pretty clear to
>everybody.  "This is my body" is probably one of the few (maybe
>only?).

I have to disagree here.  I think that it makes a huge difference whether it is
really, literally, easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than
for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven, for example.  But most of the
examples are much more subtle than that.  *All* languages are necessarily
highly figurative; how many of us are qualified to decide on exactly how much
literalness to ascribe to a (possibly garbled) translation of a (problematic)
passage written in an extinct dialect of a language we don't speak?  Right.
So which expert opinion do we trust?  This is a *minor* problem...?

  Although there are rough edges here and there, I don't think
>there's any serious problem knowing what implications inerrancy has
>for Biblical interpretation.  It doesn't solve all problems, as there
>are serious disagreements among those who accept it.  But it certainly
>rules out quite a large number of possible interpretations, and
>narrows the range of disagreement quite significantly.  --clh]

I'm not sure that your discription characterizes the inerrantists that I've
met and talked with.  The position you describe is certainly more defensible
("Accuracy of original author's intent"), but almost useless for practical
matters of interpretation.  How do I know what Luke was thinking?  For most
matters of ordinary language, I would be reasonably confident of my interpretive
abilities, but we're talking about eternity here.  I can't use any of the
normal contextual and cultural reference points for ascribing meaning, because
the topic is something that had never been heard of before!

I'm reminded of certain philosophical problems in the theory of statistics:
either we can make reasonable requirements on the method (that don't violate
our knowledge of mathematics and our objectivity), or we can get a method that
can actually be used.  Not both.

--

bill@astro.as.utexas.edu (William H. Jefferys) (12/21/89)

#
#Well, there were more than one Joseph around in Jesus's day.  In
#fact, ancient traditions have Joseph, Mary's husband, dying early
#in Jesus's life, so that Jesus came under the care of Joseph of
#Arimathea, who was Mary's uncle.  This is why Luke says that 'it
#was supposed' that Jesus was the son of Joseph; it's talking of
#Joe of A.  Matthew can only say that Joseph was the husband of
#Mary, since Jesus had no physical father.  So Luke actually does
#go through Mary's bloodline.

I've never been very impressed with the `genealogy through Mary'
theory, and I don't think that this twist of bringing in Joseph of
Arimathea fixes it. The `genealogy through Mary' theory is utterly
without scriptural support. It was unknown to the ancient Church
(Eusebius does not mention it, for example), and in fact it is
quite recent, having been first suggested at the end of the 15th
century by Annius of Viterbo. I recently found the following
supporting comments in Farrar's Greek edition of Luke (Cambridge,
1921: p. 413). Farrar strongly rejects the theory, pointing out
that there is no evidence that the Jews recognized genealogies of
women as constituting a legal right for their sons. He also says
that to accept the `genealogy of Mary' theory does great violence
to Luke's language, for then we would have to make out Luke's
words to mean `Being, as was reputed, the son of Joseph [but
really the son of Mary, who was the daughter] of Eli, &c.' Luke,
whose Greek is quite good, would hardly write so sloppily.

There may be a convincing way of resolving this discrepancy
between Matthew and Luke, but IMHO the `genealogy through Mary'
theory isn't it.

Bill Jefferys

davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) (12/23/89)

Before getting too deeply into the resolution of the apparent
descrepancies between the genaeologies in Matthew 1:2-16 and Luke
3:23-38, I would like to dispose of one rather trivial issue. Someone
indicated that it was felt that there was some confusion because both
genaeologies include a man named Joseph. I would like to point out that
far more than just one person has had the name of Joseph throughout
history. It was quite common back then, as it still is today, to name a
child after a near relative, perhaps even his own immediate father.
When John the baptist was born to Zacharias and Elisabeth, for example,
their acquaintances were unaware that his name was to be John. They
tried to insist, after the customs of that day, that he be given the
same name as his father. Luke 1:59 says "And it came to pass, that on
the eighth day they came to circumcise the child; and they called him
Zacharias, after the name of his father.". It is real easy to believe
that there were many people named Joseph in Israel as there was a very
famous Joseph in their ancestry who was the patriarch of two of their
tribes (Ephraim and Manasseh), a highly respected prime minister of
Egypt, and a very great man of God whose life is described throughout
approximately a quarter of the book of Genesis.

The genaeology in Matthew 1:2-16 is that of Joseph of Nazareth. We can
know this with certainty because it ends with Matthew 1:16 which says
"And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus,
who is called Christ.". Note that this verse very carefully avoids
saying that Joseph begat Jesus. Among other things this verse is
telling us that none of the kings of Judah from Solomon onward were
ancestors of Jesus because Joseph, although he was the husband of Mary,
was not the biological father of Jesus. A careful inspection of the
rest of Matthew 1 will show that Joseph himself knew that he was not
the biological father of Jesus. When he found out that Mary was
pregnant he sought a way to divorce her because he jumped to the
conclusion that she had committed adultery. When God told him what was
going on he immediately married her yet refrained from sexual relations
with her until Jesus was born so that there could be no possible doubt
that he was not the biological father.

The genaeology in Luke 3:23-38 is that of Mary. We can know this with
certainty because it begins with wording that relates to direct human
ancestry and because we know that Mary was the only immediate human
ancestor of Jesus.

The first verse finishes by declaring Heli as a direct ancestor of
Jesus. Luke 3:23 says "And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years
of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was {the son}
of Heli,". Note that it very definitely says "which was the son of
Heli" and that the word "which" refers to Jesus.

This leaves us with what would appear to be a major contradiction. We
know that Jesus had just one immediate human ancestor, His mother Mary,
but Luke is telling us that He was the son of Heli. These two
statements do not really contradict one another at all. Please permit
me to explain.

Genaeologies were always traced through male ancestry. Not one female
name, for example, is listed in this particular one. The closest human
male ancestor of Jesus would have been Mary's father. It is, therefore,
reasonable to suspect that Heli was Mary's father. Jesus, then, would
be Heli's grand-son.

The fact that Jesus was Heli's grand-son, and not his immediate son,
would not make this verse untruthful. The term "son" as used within the
Scriptures refers to a direct, but not necessarily to an immediate,
male descendent. Matthew 1:1, for example, says "The book of the
generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.".
Compare this with Matthew 1:17 which says "So all the generations from
Abraham to David {are} fourteen generations; and from David until the
carrying away into Babylon {are} fourteen generations; and from the
carrying away into Babylon unto Christ {are} fourteen generations.".
Even though David is declared to be the son of Abraham, we are told
that there were fourteen generations from one to the other. Even though
Jesus is declared to be the son of David, we are told that there were
twenty-eight generations from one to the other. The reference to Jesus
being the son of David here is by no means unique either. The
Scriptures are very clear that the Jews of that day referred to Him by
this title quite often. As Jesus entered Jerusalem on the Sunday before
His crucifiction, for example, Matthew 21:9 tells us "And the
multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna
to the son of David: Blessed {is} he that cometh in the name of the
Lord; Hosanna in the highest.".

Before leaving Luke 3:23 I would like to make one more observation. It
makes a point of mentioning that it was supposed that Jesus was the son
of Joseph. This is to remind us, yet again, of one very important fact,
i.e. that Jesus was not the son of Joseph. His conception was the
result of some sort of interaction between Mary and God. Luke 1:35 says
"And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come
upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee:
therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be
called the Son of God.". Even though most of the people back then made
the assumption that Jesus was the son of Joseph just because he was the
husband of His mother, God is telling us yet one more time that this
just is not so. It may be worth observing that, even today, many people
hold to this very same, absolutely incorrect position, i.e. that Jesus
was not born of a virgin. In so doing they are denying the power of the
very God whom they claim to be worshipping and whom they declare to be
the omnipotent Creator of this entire universe and everything that is
in it. 2 Timothy 3:5 warns not only of this kind of belief but also of
those who hold it "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power
thereof: from such turn away.".

    Dave Mielke, 613-726-0014
    856 Grenon Avenue
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    K2B 6G3

bill@emx.utexas.edu (Bill Jefferys) (12/25/89)

In Article <athos.Dec.22.23.57.24.1989.25813>, bnr-fos!bmers58!davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) writes:

#The genaeology in Luke 3:23-38 is that of Mary. We can know this with
#certainty because it begins with wording that relates to direct human
#ancestry and because we know that Mary was the only immediate human
#ancestor of Jesus.
#
#The first verse finishes by declaring Heli as a direct ancestor of
#Jesus. Luke 3:23 says "And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years
#of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was {the son}
#of Heli,". Note that it very definitely says "which was the son of
#Heli" and that the word "which" refers to Jesus.

This is precisely the kind of violence to Luke's words to which The Rev.
Dr. Farrar was objecting in the quotation that I posted recently. It is a
good example of the contortions to which inerrantists must occasionally
resort in order to maintain their unusual view of the Bible. You are
entitled to your opinion, of course, but to me it is quite clear that
here Luke is referring to Joseph, not Jesus, as the "son" of Heli.

As I pointed out, the "genealogy through Mary" theory was unknown to the
early Church and was invented late in the 15th century. As I stated
before, it has no basis in scripture. Eusebius gives a contradictory
theory derived from a letter of Julius Africanus, who in turn claimed to
have gotten it directly from descendants of the Holy Family. It is said
that Jacob, the father of Joseph, was the half-brother of Eli (Heli).
According to the theory, when Eli died childless, Jacob married Eli's
widow in a levirate marriage. Thus, Joseph has two fathers, his
biological father Jacob, and his "legal" father Eli (through the levirate
marriage). Eusebius' theory is far more plausible than the "geneaology
through Mary" nonsense, which has long been rejected by both liberal and
conservative scholars. While I do not necessarily subscribe to this
theory, it at least has the virtues of being (1) plausible, (2) in
accordance with Jewish law, (3) possessing ancient, if nonscriptural
authority, and (4) not requiring us to distort the clear meaning of
Luke's otherwise excellent Greek. The "genealogy through Mary" theory
shares none of these virtues.

Bill Jefferys

davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) (01/01/90)

In article <Dec.25.01.37.27.1989.17044@athos.rutgers.edu> bill@emx.utexas.edu (Bill Jefferys) writes:
>This is precisely the kind of violence to Luke's words to which The Rev.
>Dr. Farrar was objecting in the quotation that I posted recently. It is a
>good example of the contortions to which inerrantists must occasionally
>resort in order to maintain their unusual view of the Bible.

May I assume, then, that you feel that the sinless angels of our
perfect God whom He entrusts with His most important messages also
speak less than perfect Greek? We know that the mother of Jesus was
Mary and that the father of Jesus was God, yet this same Gospel writer,
Luke, quotes the angel of God as referring to David as the father of
Jesus. Luke 1:32 says "He shall be great, and shall be called the Son
of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his
father David:".

Please permit me to repeat that the terms father and son as used
throughout the Scriptures refer to a direct, although not necessarily
immediate, relationship of a man to one of his descendants or ancestors
respectively. Jesus was the son of Mary who in turn was the daughter of
Heli. This means that Jesus was the grandson of Heli. Since Jesus was a
direct male descendant of Heli, Luke was in no way using incorrect
terminology when he declared that Jesus was the son of Heli. If this
genaeology were not that of Mary then the Scriptures would contain no
proof whatsoever that Jesus was a blood descendant of David. No
genaeology of Joseph could possibly do this as he was not the
biological father of Jesus.

In the response to which I am replying an alternative way of
interpreting Luke's genaeology was given. It involved a rather
complicated series of interactions whose only proof was ancient
tradition. The Scriptures declare that it is very dangerous to use
tradition as a means of interpreting God's Word. Matthew 15:1-3 says
"Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem,
saying, Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders?
for they wash not their hands when they eat bread. But he answered and
said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by
your tradition?".

    Dave Mielke, 613-726-0014
    856 Grenon Avenue
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    K2B 6G3

scottg@hp-ptp.hp.com (Scott_Gulland) (01/01/90)

From: nunes@ai.toronto.edu (Joe Nunes)

>>will be due to my own lack of understanding and not to God's inability
>>to give us a completely consistent message. I welcome the challenge.

I myself believe in the Biblical account of creation as stated and that
this account is scientifically correct.  I am also of the belief that
the vast majority of creationist and non-creationist alike use interpretations
that are scientifically absurd.   This is why Genesis appears to be so
inconsistant.  However, not all creationist adhere to such ridiculous
interpretations and all of the material below comes from research
perfromed by Dr. Hugh Ross (Ph. D. in Astronomy).

> OK. Here's one.
>
> There are two versions of Creation. In Version 1 (Gen 1:10-31), God creates
> plants on the third day (before He created the sun and the moon, by the way;
> they were created on the fourth day), sea creatures and birds on the fifth day,

As you can see by the author's comment, this interpretation of version 1 is
not very credible.  Here is another interpetation which does not contradict
scientific knowledge about nature of the creation of the universe and earth.

One of the most important things to establish in order to interpret Genesis
one correctly is its frame of reference (or viewpoint) and the initial
conditions.  This is given in Gen 1:1-2.  The text is given as follows
(NIV translation):

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.  Now the earth
 was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep,
 and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."

 Clearly it can be seen from above that the section indicating the frame
 of reference is "the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters".  In
 other words, the events of creation are being described from the
 perspective of an observer on the surface of the ocean, which at that
 time covered the entire Earth, and BELOW the cloud layers.

 The initial conditions indicate that the earth is formless and empty
 (a more accurate tranlation of the Hebrew words, here, might be
 "unorganized and empty").  Note that the universe and the earth
 already exist (and by inference the sun).  Finally, it is dark on
 the surface of the deep.

 DAY 1:  Gen 1:3-5

 "And God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light.  God
 saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from
 the darkness.  God called the light 'day,' and the darkness he
 called 'night.'  And there was evening, and there was morning -
 the first day."

 The surface of the Earth begain in darkness (verse 2) because at its
 earilest formative stages the Earth had a reducing atmosphere, (i.e.
 an atmosphere much like that of Jupiter wherein elements tend to combine
 with hydrogen).  This atmosphere most likely was dominated by ammonia
 and methane (which absorbs light).  For light to penetrate to the Earth's
 surface to the degree required for photosynthesis, the atmosphere somehow
 had to be transformed from reducing to oxidizing,  i.e. to in which
 substances tend to combine with oxygen, rather than with hydorgen.

 For this atmospheric change to be made without the loss of water that
 is vital for land life was an extremely delicate operation.  Methane
 has a molecular weigth of 16; ammonia, 17; and water, 18.  The trans-
 formation had to allow for the evaporation from the Earth's atmosphere
 of both methane and ammonia but the retention of the slightly heavier
 water.  The probability of success for this atmospheric transfromation
 for any given planet is much less than one in a billion.  Thus, the
 changing of the Earth's atmosphere from opaque (light-absorbing) to
 translucent (light-diffusing) without loss of water stands as the first
 of the Genesis miracles whereby God was preparing the Earth for life.

 Day and night, from the perspective of an observer on the Earth's
 surface, become recognizable only when light can diffuse through
 the cloud cover.  So, "day" and "night" are defined at this point

 Day 2:  Gen 1:6-8  (Simple Summary Statement Only)

 Establishment of a stable water cycle.

 Day 3:  Gen 1:9-13  (Simple Summary Statement Only)

 Appearance of dry land and the vegetation upon the land.

 DAY 4:  Gen 1:14-19

 "And God said, 'Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate
 the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and
 days and years, and let their be lights in the expanse of the sky to give
 light on the earth.'  And it was so.  God made two great lights.  The
 greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night.
 He also made the stars.  God set them in the expanse of the sky to give
 light on the earth, to govern the day and the night, and to separate
 light from darkness.  And God saw that it was good.  And there was evening,
 and there was morning - the fourth day."

 To give you a better feeling for the original text, here are the major
 Hebrew words in the first segment of text above and their definitions.
 The words "Let there be" is the translation for the Hebrew word 'HAYAH'.
 The word "expanse" corresponds to the Hebrew word RAWQIYA.  The word "sky"
 corresponds to the Hebrew word SHAMAYIM.  The definition of these Hebrew
 words are as follows:

 HAYAH:  become; cause to appear or arise; cause to be made or done; come
	 into existence; come to pass; make into something.

 RAWQIYA:  (apparently) visible dome of the sky; (technically, the atmosphere
	   immediately above the surface of the earth)

 SHAMAYIM:  visible dome of the sky above and in which the clouds move;  the
	    realm in which the celestial bodies move; the spiritual real in
	    which God and the angels dwell and operate.
	    -  with respect to the above definitions;  whenever shamayim is
	       used with erets (earth), as in Gen 1:1, the combination refers
	       to the entire physical universe.

 For some time after the transformation of the Earth's atmosphere to an
 oxidizing one, a combination of high carbon dioxide levels (greenhouse
 effect), volcanic active, and very high humidity would have prevented
 any break in the cloud cover.  Fossil evidence supports this very
 humid atmosphere of primative Earth.  Over time a decrease in volcanic
 activity, carbon dioxide levels (consummed by plant life), and stabilized
 air temperature and pressure all contributed to a break in the cloud
 cover.  Thus the appearance of the Sun, Moon, and Stars.

> and all beasts of the earth on the sixth day. After all this, God creates Man,
> also ... much text deleted.
>
> In Version 2 (Gen 2:4-24), God creates Adam before anything else. Then God
> creates ...  much text deleted.
>
> Note that the first version specifically states that *every* winged fowl was
> created before man, whereas the second version states that *every* fowl of
> the air was created after man.

The first version does in all actuality say that birds were created before
Man.  However, the second version does NOT state birds were created after
man.  This is just a mis-interpretation on the basis of a shallow reading
of the English translation.

Genesis 1 focuses on the Physical events of creation; Genesis 2 focuses on
the spiritual events.  More specifically, Genesis 1 describes the miracles
God performed to prepare the earth for mankind.  Genesis 2 presents God's
assignment of authority and responsibility.

Further, in order to determine the intended chronological sequencing of
the text, you MUST go to the original Hebrew text.  The Hebrew language
has only three verb tenses: imperative, perfect, and imperfect.  The
perfect tense indicates completed actions while the imperfect tense denotes
incomplete or unfinished actions.  The perfect tense is used in Genesis
2:19 for the formation of the beast and birds.  This simply implies that
those creatures were made sometime in the past.

Additionally, to denote sequence relationships a special ending is used
in the verbs.  This ending is not present in Genesis 2:19.  Careful
attention to verb tense and the purpose of each account rules out any
supposed contradiction between Genesis 1 and 2.  Plants, rain, man, animals
and woman are subjects of discussion in Genesis 2, but creation chronology
is not the issue.  Adam simply interacts first with the plants, then with
animals, and last of all, with Eve.

I believe that all of the contradictions listed so far are not contradictions
but paradoxes.   And paradoxes can be resolved by a variety of means as I
have resolved this one.

Scott Gulland
scottg@hpiacla
---------------

ncramer@bbn.com (Nichael Cramer) (01/04/90)

Scott_Gulland writes:
>I myself believe in the Biblical account of creation as stated and that
>this account is scientifically correct....
[I have removed extensive quotations from his original article.  --clh]

It appears that what Scott is proposing here is a variation on what has
been called, among other things, "gapism".  In short, this is an attempt
to explain differences between the Genesis creation stories and modern
science by supposing an (implicit) time-gap somewhere in the first few
verses of Genesis.  Where the gap is supposed to occur in the story
varies, but the intended result is to increase the time-scale of the
biblical creation story by an unspecified, but nevertheless long, period
thereby bringing it into harmony with modern astronomy and physics.

A major problem with this line of argument is that it is not supported by
the actual text.  Specifically it is based on the standard, but poor,
translation of Gen 1.1-4 that is given in the KJV and most subsequent
popular translations (i.e. translations that start "In the beginning...").

Most modern translations now understand the first sentence to comprise
*all* of the first *three* verses on Gen 1 in a very interesting --and
surprisingly characteristic-- way.

  (For anyone interested in examining these arguments in more detail,
   good sources are the notes and commentary for the corresponding verses
   of A. E. Speiser's translation of _Genesis_ for the Anchor Bible series,
   the Doubleday Biblical Commentary and Friedman's _Who Wrote the Bible_.)

The first sentence breaks down as follows (translation by Speiser):

     Opening temporal clause.
  1] "When God set about to create the heaven and earth ..."

     Parenthetical aside.
  2] "... --the world being then a formless waste, with darkness over
      the seas and an awesome wind sweeping over the water-- ..."

     Main clause
  3] "... God said, 'Let there be light.' And there was light."

The first point to be made here is that the main body of the above makes
up one, indivisible, sentence.  That is, the *very* first act of God in
Genesis is the Creation of Light.

A second --and to me somewhat more interesting--- point is that this
sentence structure ([1] opening, temporal clause, [2] parenthesis,
[3] final main clause) appears to be a standard formula for the opening
of creation stories in the literature of the ancient near east.

The nearest example at hand is the second Genesis creation story at 2.4b-
2.7 (translation again by Speiser):

  1] "At the time when God Yahweh made earth and heaven ..."

  2] "... --no shrub of the field being yet in the earth and no grain
      of the field having sprouted, for God Yahweh had not sent rain
      upon the earth and no man was there to till the soil; instead a
      flow would well up from the ground and water the whole surface
      of the soil-- ..."

  3] "... God Yahweh formed man from clods of soil and blew into his
     nostrils the breath of life.  Thus man became a living being."

Similarly, the opening of the so-called Babylonian Creation Epic, ENUMA
ELIS ("When on High...") has the same structure.  Moreover the opening
word of the second Genesis story is B(e)YOM (literally, "on the day(!!)
when") is cognate with the Akkadian ENUMA (i.e. the opening word of the
ENUMA ELIS).

Finally, it should be noted that this last --the distinct parallelism of
syntax and vocabulary-- supplies very strong internal, textual evidence
for the existence of the two separate creation stories in Genesis.)

NICHAEL

scottg@hp-ptp.hp.com (Scott_Gulland) (01/07/90)

Nichael Cramer writes...
> It appears that what Scott is proposing here is a variation on what has
> been called, among other things, "gapism".  In short, this is an attempt
> to explain differences between the Genesis creation stories and modern
> science by supposing an (implicit) time-gap somewhere in the first few
> verses of Genesis.  Where the gap is supposed to occur in the story ...a
> A major problem with this line of argument is that it is not supported by
> the actual text.  Specifically it is based on the standard, but poor,
> translation of Gen 1.1-4 that is given in the KJV and most subsequent
> popular translations (i.e. translations that start "In the beginning...").

You are absolutely incorrect!  It is based on work by Dr. Hugh Ross and the
actual Hebrew text for Genesis one.  A strong case can be made for each day
in Genesis 1 covering a login period of time.  I'll offer the following
arguments:

1.  The Hewbrew word used in Genesis 1 for "day" is YOWM.  YOWM
    can be used (and is) to indicate any of four time periods:
    a) from sunrise to sunset, b) from sunset to sunset, c) a
    segment of time without any reference to solor days (usually
    several years), and finally d) an age or epoch.  Therefore
    there is a valid interpretation of the word day which agrees
    with known scientific knowledge about the age of the earth.

2.  Genesis 2:4 suggests a long time span for the creation week.
    In the literal Hebrew this verse reads "These are the generations
    of the heavens and the earth when they were created in the day
    of their making ...".  Here, the word "day" refers to all six
    creation days.  Obviously a period greater than 24 hours.
    However, the word "generation" is TOLEDAH in Hebrew and refers
    to a time span of never less than 20 years.  Note that the
    plural form is used meaning a significantly greater span of
    time.

3.  The 7th day in Genesis 1 and 2 is not closed out.  For the 1st
    six creation days the author says "...there was evening, and
    there was morning -- the N th day."  This statement indicates
    that each of the 1st six creation days had a beginning and an
    ending.  However, for the 7th day no such statement appears either
    in Genesis 1 - 2 or anywhere else in the Bible.  This distinct
    change in form strongly suggests that this day has (or had)
    not yet ended.

There are several other supporting arguments but these should suffice
to make my point.

> Most modern translations now understand the first sentence to comprise
> *all* of the first *three* verses on Gen 1 in a very interesting --and
> surprisingly characteristic-- way.
>
>   (For anyone interested in examining these arguments in more detail,
>    good sources are the notes and commentary for the corresponding verses
>    of A. E. Speiser's translation of _Genesis_ for the Anchor Bible series,
>    the Doubleday Biblical Commentary and Friedman's _Who Wrote the Bible_.)
>
> The first sentence breaks down as follows (translation by Speiser):
>
>      Opening temporal clause.
>   1] "When God set about to create the heaven and earth ..."

Almost all modern tranlations (made within the last 15 years) using all
current knowledge on Hebrew and Greek translation and discoveries of
ancient text translate this "In the beginning".  Remember, these translations
come from the Top scolars in the field and they all agree.  I don't think
Speiser is a very credible source!

>      Parenthetical aside.
>   2] "... --the world being then a formless waste, with darkness over
>       the seas and an   awesome wind sweeping  over the water-- ..."
 Hebrew:   TEHOM        RUWACH  ELOHIYM  RACHAPH

 TEHOM: a great mass of water; the oceans and the seas

 RUWACH: spirit; breath; wind
	 - in conjunction with Elohiym always refers to the Holy Spirit

 ELOHIYM: the deity; the supreme Being; the true God

 RACHAPH: to brood over; cherishing and vivifying; to be tenderly affected;
	  to be moved

These translations are absolute rubish (especially #2).

Scott Gulland
scottg@hpiacla
--------------

[First, let me comment that I see this discussion not as a matter of
creationism -- which would belong on talk.origins -- but as about how
one goes about interpreting Gen. if one believes that creation took a
lot more than 7 days.

Here are the translations I have. I think this includes most of
the major modern translations:

TEV: "In the beginning, when God created the universe..." (footnote:
or "in the beginning God created the universe" or "When God began
to create the universe"), the earth was formless and desolate.  The
raging ocean that covered everything was engulfed in total darkness,
and the power of God was moving over the water.  Then God commanded...

NAB: "In the beginning, when God created the heavens and the earth,
the earth was a formless wasteland, and darkness covered the abyss,
ppwhile a mighty wind swept over the waters.  Then God said...

NIV: "In the beginning, God created ... Now the earth was
formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and
the Spirit of God was hovering ove the waters.  And God said...

NJB: same as NIV, except "with a divine wind sweeping over the
waters"

REB and RSV: similar to NIV, but with footnote: or "when God began to create")
NJPS: "When God began to create heaven and earth -- the earth being
unformed and void, with darkness over the surface of the deep and
a wind from God sweeping over the waters -- God said...  (footnotes:
others "In the beginning God created.", others "the spirit of")

It seems clear that other translators see various elements of the
Anchor Bible translation as at least plausible, though no one
translation adopts them all.  --clh]

blais@emx.utexas.edu (Donald Blais) (01/16/90)

In article <Jan.1.10.58.05.1990.11708@athos.rutgers.edu> hplabs!scottg@hp-ptp.hp.com (Scott_Gulland) writes:
>As you can see by the author's comment, this interpretation of version 1 is
>not very credible.  Here is another interpetation which does not contradict
>scientific knowledge about nature of the creation of the universe and earth.

The internal structure of the first story of creation is simple,
elegant, and hard to ignore once recognized.  The story sorts the
whole of creation into six classes:

    (1) the domain of light			    Gn 1:3-5
    (2) the domain of water                         Gn 1:6-8
    (3) the domain of earth                         Gn 1:9-13

    (4) mobile denizens of the domain of light      Gn 1:14-19
    (5) mobile denizens of the domain of water      Gn 1:20-23
    (6) mobile denizens of the domain of earth      Gn 1:24-31

At the start, there is chaos.  God instills order.  God rests.

The story has a beauty and consistency of its own.  The day (YWM) is a
narrative artifice for the separation into six classes.  Its length is
the duration of a category.
--
Donald E. Blais           INTERNET: blais@emx.utexas.edu
Computation Center        BITNET:   BLAIS@UTAIVC