[soc.religion.christian] Freemasonry and Christianity.

tom@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Tom Albrecht) (01/16/90)

As we look further into the matter of Freemasonry, the question remains as
to whether Freemasonry is compatible with the Christian religion.  I will
be quoting from a study report produced by my denomination, The
Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) as well as a study produced by the
Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC).  I will be happy to send a copy of the
PCA study to anyone who asks.

Peter Trei (ptrei@asgard.bbn.com) writes:

>The following pamphlet, from the Grand Lodge of England in 1985 (the
>oldest Grand Lodge in the world, and highly respected), puts the
>situation better than I could:
>
>Basic Statement
>
>     Freemasonry is not a religion, nor is it a substitute for
>religion.  It demands of its members belief in a Supreme Being, but
>provides no system of faith of its own. Its rituals include prayers,
>but these relate only to the matter instantly at hand and do not
>amount to the practice of religion.

This is arguable.  An examination of the source documents of
Freemasonry could lead one to a different conclusion.  For instance:

1)  Henry Coil (_Masonic Encyclopedia_) under the topic of religion says,
"Some attempt to avoid the issue by saying that Freemasonry is not a
religion but it is religious ... It would be as sensible to say that man
had no intellect but was intellectual or that he had no honor but was
honorable ...  Freemasonry certainly requires a belief in the existence of,
and man's dependence upon, a Supreme Being to whom he is responsible.  What
can a church add to that, except to bring into one fellowship those who
have like feelings?  That is exactly what the lodge does."

2)  J.F. Newton (_The Builder_) said, "Masonry ... is religion, a worship
in which all good men may unite, that we each may share in the faith of
all."  Newton apparently deplored the fact that the nature of many lodges
was changing.  He complained that there were many within Masonry who regard
it as "a mere social order inculcating ethical ideals and practicing
philanthropy."  (_The Religion of Freemasonry_, pp. 10,11)

3)  A.G. Mackey (_Encyclopedia of Freemasonry_, Vol. 2, p. 847) said, "We
contend, without any sort of hesitation, that Freemasonry is, in every
sense of the word, except one, and that its least philosophical, an
eminently religious institution - ..."  He also wrote, "Freemasonry is
emphatically a religious institution; it teaches the existence of God.  It
points to the celestial canopy above where is the Eternal Lodge and where He
presides.  It instructs us in the way to reach the portals of that distant
temple."  (_The Mystic Tie_, p. 32)  In another place Mackey wrote, "The
truth is that Masonry is undoubtly a religious institution, its religion
being the universal kind in which all men agree."  (_Textbook of Masonic
Jurisdiction_, p. 95)

"When some Masonic authorities say Freemasonry is not a religion they
mean it is not a particular faith, creed, denomination, or sect."  (PCA,
p. 2004)

Freemasons meet in temples, they offer prayer, they have alters, they have
symbols and rituals of a religious nature.  What is the purpose of prayer
but to petition Almighty God?  Can a Christian rightly join in a prayer
offered by a Hindu to a Muslim god?

>The Supreme Being
>
>     There is no Masonic God; a Freemason remains committed to the God
>of the religion he professes.

"God is revently spoken of as the Great Architect of the Universe...
Upon this foundation stone we construct a simple religious faith - the
fatherhood of God, the brotherhood of Man, and the immortality of the
soul - simple, but all-efficient.  By reason of this simple creed,
Freemasonry has been able to attract and accept as members of the
Fraternity adherents of every religious faith in the world -
Christians, Jews, Hindoos, Mohammedans, Pharisees, Buddhists, and
others - atheists alone being excluded." (_Freemasonry - A Simple
Religious Faith, Royal Arch Mason_, Vol. V, No. 9, March 1957)

"[Freemasons] propose that God is the spiritual Father of good men
regardless of their religious faith.  But in the Bible, spiritual
brotherhood is restricted to those who confess Jesus Christ as Lord and
Savior (Matt.  12:48,49; Phil.  2:25; Col. 1:1; Philemon 16; Rom. 8:29;
Heb. 3:1; Jam. 2:1).  It is unthinkable in the light of Scripture, that a
man of another religious faith is a spiritual brother with a Christian;
however this is what Freemasonry declares." (PCA, p. 2009)

>Volume of Sacred Law
>
>     An open Volume of Sacred Law is an essential part of every
>Masonic meeting. The Volume of Sacred Law to a Christian is the Bible;
>to Freemasons of other faiths it is the book held holy by them.

Masonry claims that is is not founded on the Bible.  However, Masonic
rituals and writings abound with Bible quotations.  Since it regards itself
as the essence of all religions, it has no problem with adapting and
perverting Scripture for its own purpose.  In Mackey's _Masonic Ritual_ the
name of Jesus Christ is omitted (for obvious reasons) from I Peter 2:5 (p.
271), 2 Thessalonians 3:6 (p. 348), and 2 Thessalonians 3:12 (p. 349).  On
page 286 of _Masonic Rituals_ is found an etching of the Masonic keystone.
Around the keystone is Acts 4:11, "This is the stone with was set at nought
of you builders, which is become the headstone of the corner."  In that
passage of scripture Peter is quoting Psalm 118:22 and applying it to Jesus
Christ.  Masons apparently believe the cornerstone is their own religion.

>Freemasonry Compared with Religion
>
>Freemasonry lacks the basic elements of religion:
>     a. It has no dogma or theology (and by forbidding religious discussion
>      	at its meetings will not allow a Masonic dogma to develop).

"Some Masons contend that there is no theology in the lodge.  This
statement is not borne out by the evidence.  Theology means 'a study of
God.'   Freemasonry clearly speaks of a god, demands a belief in God,
instructs the candidate how to pray and informs the candidate of God's true
name.  The theology of Freemasonry is acted out in various ceremonies of
its degrees.  An examination of the meanings of the ceremonies and the
symbols demonstrates the particular theology of the lodge."  (PCA, p. 2004)

>     b. It offers no sacrements.

Strictly speaking, this is not a requirement of religion.  Some particular
religions have sacraments, but not all.

>     c. It does not claim to lead to salvation, by works, secret knowledge
>	or any other means (the secrets of Freemasonry are concerned with
>	modes of recognition, not with salvation).

But it does propose a way of salvation.  "Freemasonry has taught that each
man can, by himself, work out his own conception of God and thereby achieve
salvation." (J.S.M. Ward, _Freemasonry: Its Aims and Ideals_, p. 187)
Freemasonry puts forth the notion that it "strives to make good men
better."  (_This is Masonry: Builder of Society_)  But those familiar with
the Bible know that all men apart from Christ are dead in trespasses and
sin, and are incapable of good works.

As Mackey said,  "It points to the celestial canopy above where is the
Eternal Lodge and where He presides.  It instructs us in the way to reach
the portals of that distant temple."  (_The Mystic Tie_, p. 32)  It
definitely teaches a way of salvation, one incompatible with the Christian
gospel.

Let me close with a quote from E.A. Coil, Unitarian minister and Masonic
Worshipful Master:

     That the fundamental difference in the principles embodied in the
     historic creeds of Christendom and those of our modern secret orders
     has not been clearly thought out is indicated by the fact that many
     pledge themselves to both.  There are lodge men who, in the churches,
     subscribe to the doctrine that 'We are accounted righteous before God
     only for the merit of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, by faith and
     not for our own works or deservings,' and enthusiastically join in the
     singing of hymns in which that idea is embodied.  Then in their lodge
     meetings they just as enthusiastically assent to the following
     declaration: 'Although our thoughts, words and actions may be hidden
     from the eyes of men, yet that All-Seeing Eye whom the sun, moon, and
     stars obey, and under whose watchful care even comets perform their
     stupendous revolutions, pervades the inmost recesses of the human
     heart, and will us according to our merits'.  A little child, once its
     attention is called to the matter, ought to be able to see that it is
     impossible to harmonize the creed statement here quoted, with the
     declaration taken from the monitor of one of our greatest and most
     effective secret orders, and found, in substance, in the liturgies of
     nearly all the others.  If 'We are accounted righteous before God, for
     the merit of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, by faith and not by
     our own works or deservings,' then it cannot possibly be true that the
     All-Seeing Eye 'Pervades the inmost recesses of the human heart, and
     will us according to our merits'.  One of those declarations excludes
     the other.  Men cannot consistently subscribe to both.  (_The
     Relation of the Liberal Churches and the Fraternal Orders_, pp.
     10,11)

Coil's point in making this comment was to bring to light the fact that
modern liberalism within Christian circle was promoting the Masonic agenda.
He believed that as more churches jettisoned the historic creeds of the
past and denied the orthodox faith, progress would be made in advancing the
cause of Masonry within the church. He said, "... those brought up in
'Orthodox' Sunday schools and churches have to unlearn, deny or ignore much
of what has been taught them if they become members of the lodge."  (p. 18)

The Orthodox Presbyterian Church concluded:

     The committee finds that the evidence presented concerning the
     religion of Masonry permits but one conclusion.  Although a number of
     objections commonly brought against Masonry seem to the committee not
     to be weighty, yet it is driven to the conclusion that Masonry is a
     religious institution as as such is definitely anti-Christian.

--
Tom Albrecht