[soc.religion.christian] Native American Church

jrossi@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Joe Rossi) (02/05/90)

The moderator wrote:

>[I'm not sure quite what sort of comment you are interested in.  As
>far as I can tell, the Native American Church doesn't claim to be a
>Christian church in the usual sense, whatever Christian influences
>there may be in it.  Thus it's not clear to me that it's really within
>the scope of this group to discuss.  --clh]

While this book at this time is my only source ( when I get a chance
I'll perhaps do a little research ) it did give me the impression that
this church considered itself "Christian."  Also, a statement such as
"Christian church in the usual sense" is a tricky one.  Are Kingdom Halls
and Mormon churches not churchs in the usual sense?  Anyway here's a
quote from the preceding paragraph which I neglected to include in my
first posting:

"Today the 250,000-member Native American Church, which is predominantly
an Indian church, still uses peyote as an important part of its rites,
even though the church is definitely Christian."

As for comments, two areas that I thought could be addressed are the
similarties between this and the Eucharist, and also the lack of
ministers and priests.  Below is a comment I made to someone who
emailed me:

You know what they say:  the Lord works in mysterious ways.  Many medicinal
plants and herbs have healing qualities.  Whose to say the Lord didn't
create some substances to be used for spiritual healing?  I agree the idea
of a plant acting as mediator may sound strange, but I found the idea of
a clergyless church very interesting since I believe that often times the
role of a minister or priest is seductive in itself, and as such, priests
may be more interested in the ego rush of "being teacher" than in serving
God in the fullest.  A plant, however, cannot be interested in any ego
rushes.

--
-jrossi@jato.jpl.nasa.gov
-ames!elroy!jato!jrossi           R * U * 1 * 2 * ? U * 2 * R * 1 !