[soc.religion.christian] Deist asks

avo@icad.com (Alex Orlovsky) (02/05/90)

In article <Jan.29.23.57.33.1990.14350@athos.rutgers.edu>, A JETSON News User writes:

>... (deleted)...  I see much anti -
>Semitic polemics in the New Testament,
>
> ...(deleted)... It seems inconceivable, from what little
>I've read of Aquinas, Augustine etc. that if the Bible is inspired of
>God ( by God I assume YHWH, who has the Jews as his chosen people, and
>who I suppose is the Father of Christ ) that God, through whatever
>method of inspiration , would have told Paul to say this (castrate yourselves -avo)
> ...(deleted)... about his "chosen people".
>
>It is
>simply that I am not yet convinced that God plays favorites and if I
>understand salvation correctly, I believe that God can save anybody He
>wants to and that _no one group_,Christian or not, has any monopoly on
>said salvation.
>
>J. M . Aguirre

Perhaps some of J. M.'s questions concerning the chosen people
stem from an oversimplified understanding of what the chosen
people are.  He is quite correct in being uneasy about this narrow
understanding of "chosen" -- in fact it is not consistent with
either the Old or New Testaments, and thus is not an impediment
to faith in Christ.

1.)  To say that Israel was chosen
is not to say that God doesn't care about the rest of humanity.
The OT is quite clear on this score.

 Take a look at Amos 9:7
"Are you not like the Ethiopians to me
   O people of Israel."
This and the next few verses are a bold expansion of the
scope God's salvific actions.  We are plainly told it is not
the case that God did his mighty acts for Israel and did nothing
for everyone else.

In Isaiah (Chap. 56), we see the chosen people (Israel) and
foreigners worshipping together. See especially Is. 56:8
"Thus says the Lord God who gathers the outcasts of Israel
I will gather yet others to him besides those already gathered."
the chosen, "those already gathered", and "others" are part of
the Divine plan of salvation.

God did however choose Israel to bear the most complete record
of his relevation.

2.) J. M. also seems to imply that Israel could not have been
chosen by God if he criticizes them.  Well, again the OT
record is clear:  God frequently criticizes, judges and punishes
his people.  See just about any OT prophet.  For example, Is. 1:10
 "Hear the word of the Lord you rulers of Sodom
  Give ear to the teachings of our God you people of Gomorrah."
It's hard to be more critical than this.  But Israel is still
chosen, for in Is. 1:3 we have
 "but Israel does not know, my people do not understand."
a statement which simultaneously affirms Israel being His, and
criticizes them.

So, the existence of the "chosen people" does not *automatically*
mean everyone else is doomed ,even in the Old Testament, and the
"chosen people" are not above criticism, in fact if anything are
expected to live by an even higher standard than others.

Another implication underlying J. M.'s posting seems to be that since
so much of the Epistles seem to be "anti-Semitic" it could not be
divinely inspired.  The premise is incorrect:
the criticism in these Epistles is not against Jewish people, but
against Judaism.  No one is condemned for his national identity,
rather Jew and Gentile alike are called (Rom. 10:12) to partake
of God's riches.
     Paul was quite proud of his (Jewish) heritage.
See Rom. 1:11, "I myself am an Israelite"  One can almost hear
the pride in his voice as he declares this!
    Paul did object in the strongest possible way to *anyone*
who tried to twist, distort or dilute the meaning of Christ's
teachings and especially the meaning of his death and Resurrection.
 This can in no way be construed as "anti-Semitic."

Finally, why invite only "literalist" responses?  The
Lord always uses flesh and blood *people* in his revelation.
What's the problem with a little of Paul's humanity showing
through?  What a fabulously ironic summation of his own
feelings towards those who lead others astray.  Is this
interpretation aotomatically excluded because it is
"nonliteral"?

   I hope J. M., you do not take offense at my remarks.  I
have merely attempted to bring to light some assumptions
which seem to underlie you posting.
Your honest doubts are a good thing (see Hab. Chap. 1 for
some frank questions to God) for they reflect an intellectual
honesty and desire for the Truth.  I hope
you keep reading the NT, esp. the Gospels, that you may
come to know the Father through the Son by the power of
the Holy Spirit.

 -- Alex Orlovsky
My own opinions, of course.