[soc.religion.christian] Question for a Greek Scholar -- footnote on "bind" and "loose"

mls@cbnewsm.att.com (02/05/90)

I wrote:

> I also think Phillips' "forbid/permit" is tendentious; "bind" and "loose"
> are ambiguous, but I would tend to think their object *persons* rather than
> actions.

That was an over-reaction on my part.  I have since seen commentaries that
say the Greek usage here parallels rabbinic usage where the terms do have
a technical sense referring to forbidding and permitting actions.  It also
seems that there is a long-time tradition that the "keys" given to Peter
were two: preaching the gospel and disciplining the church.  Discipline is
certainly implied by the passage, whatever one's reading of bind/loose.
--
Michael L. Siemon		As grain once scattered on the hillside
cucard!dasys1!mls			Was in this broken break made one,