[soc.religion.christian] God's Will

lab@uunet.uu.net (Lance Beckner) (07/31/89)

fibercom!lab@uunet.uu.net (Lance Beckner) writes:
> >Then why do we need to pray for His will to be done on earth as it is in
> >heaven? :-)
> We are always to pray that His will be done, but this does not
> necessarily mean that His will is that there be no sin in the earth.
> Romans 1:24 tells us "Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness
> through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies
> between themselves:". Romans 1:26 begins "For this cause God gave them
> up unto vile affections:". Romans 1:28 further states "And even as they
> did not like to retain God in {their} knowledge, God gave them over to
> a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;". God's
> will for this earth is to bring it into judgment after having removed
> all those whom He planned to save from it so that they would not be
> harmed. Since this is His will, it is for this to be done that we must
> pray.

Paul is referring to non-believers here.  My question was "is it God's DESIRE
that I, a child of God sin.  Yes I know that He has willed that we keep our
sinful bodies.  But I also believe that He DESIRES that we do the best that
we can (with His help) to avoid sin as much as possible.  Let's take an
example:

     A Christian man falls in love with and decides to marry a real nice
     girl that he works with.  The only problem is that she is not a
     believer.  This is in direct violation of God's word (and
     therefore, His will), because 2 Corinthians 6:14 tells us "Do not
     be unequally yoked together with unbelievers."

In this example, the Christian man sinned.  It was not God's DESIRE that this
take place.  However, He did ALLOW it to take place.  My view is that what
God DESIRES to happen does not always happen.  He does work all things that
happen (whether He desires them or allows them) together for His ultimate
purpose.

> It was God's will to sacrifice His only begotten Son at the hand of
> man, and to accomplish this He had to be rejected by man. Speaking of
> the new heaven and the new earth, Revelation 21:23 tells us "And the
> city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for
> the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb {is} the light thereof.".
> Study this wording very carefully and you will see that the Lamb is the
> glory of God. God is telling us that the Lamb is the means through
> which He will display His glory to those with whom He will share
> eternity. I am sure that there will be no disagreement when I say,
> without going into a long proof, that the Lamb is a symbol of Christ as
> the perfect sacrifice for sin. If His perfect sacrifice for sin, i.e.
> His taking upoin Himself the equivalent of eternal damnation for those
> whom He has saved, is the means by which He has chosen to display His
> glory throughout eternity then we must assume that that was His plan
> all along. He could not have accomplished this without having allowed
> sin to enter into HIs creation and without allowing people to so
> absolutely reject Him.

I have a couple of problems with this.  First, I don't think you have
answered my question (or maybe you didn't understand it).  I'm referring
mostly to the O.T. and asking if God DESIRED Israel to reject Him and offer
their praises, and sacrifices to false gods?  I read some the O.T.  and see
that God is very displeased with their rejection of the true LORD God.  Hosea
comes to mind in particular.  Obviously He foreknew of their rejection and
even used it, along with their final rejection, to accomplish His plan of
salvation.  But I do not believed that God ever has, or ever will, DESIRE
rejection from any of His creation.  In fact, it is the rejection of God
(Father and Son) the we are condemned for (John 3:18,19).  It makes no sense
to me that God would desire our rejection, and then condemn us for the same
rejection.

Second, as it reads, it appears that God is limited in some way.  You imply
that if Israel didn't reject Him, God would not have been able to save us.
I think God would have come up with another plan if the rejection didn't
happen.  Of course, it did happen, and all we can do is speculate about how
things might have worked under different circumstances.  Again, I see God's
foreknowledge of Israel's rejection, and His using that in His plan for
salvation.

Finally, you say that it was God's will (desire) that sin enter His creation.
I don't agree with you.  I think He knew that sin would enter His creation,
and He had the whole salvation plan all worked out before Adam took his first
breath.  But in Genesis chapter three, I see a God who is very displeased
about Adam and Eve's disobedience.  I don't believe that it was God's desire
for sin to enter His creation.  But then, if God knew that man would sin, and
He created man anyway, then you could say He did more than just allowed it.
Maybe He...., nah.
--
Lance A. Beckner                   "Jesus loves me, this I know,
INTERNET: lab@fibercom.com         for the Bible tells me so."

davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) (08/02/89)

In article <Jul.30.21.57.40.1989.934@geneva.rutgers.edu> fibercom!lab@uunet.uu.net (Lance Beckner) writes:
>Second, as it reads, it appears that God is limited in some way.  You imply
>that if Israel didn't reject Him, God would not have been able to save us.
>I think God would have come up with another plan if the rejection didn't
>happen.  Of course, it did happen, and all we can do is speculate about how
>things might have worked under different circumstances.  Again, I see God's
>foreknowledge of Israel's rejection, and His using that in His plan for
>salvation.
You have very clearly illustrated a very common point of view which I
used to have but have since been convinced cannot be true. I am now
totally convinced that every single historical item mentioned in the
Bible was part of a deliberately enacted plan by God. This is because I
have learned more and more to see aspects of His salvation program
depicted as figures in each and every historical episode.

I shall tell you what finally convinced me of this truth. God promised
Abraham, when he was 75 years old, that he would have a son in his old
age, etc. Abraham's wife was 65 at this point, well beyond the normal
age around which women cease to be fertile, so he took his wife's
advice one day when his faith must have waned for a moment, and had a
child, Ishmael, by her maid Hagar. I used to believe that this was just
something that Abraham did that was a bit dum, never giving it any
significance. I just assumed that God was teaching us the morral truth
that He will have things His way when He promises them, and that
anything else we try to do will be of little, if no, value. Then, one
day while I was paying a bit closer attention to what I was reading, I
noticed that Galatians 4:24 and vacinity clearly says that Hagar is an
allegory of the law and that Sarah is an allegory of the promise. This
taught me that even the most seemingly insignificant historical detail
had a spiritual meaning, and that God chose this particular example as
a way to make us aware of this fact. Applying this principle to all the
rest of the Scriptures, all that God was saying in the Bible suddenly
fell into place so marvelously that I became unconditionally convinced
that what I had noticed in Galatians 4 was not a whim on my part but
was, rather, a now very much appreciated piece of revealed truth that
led to a tremendously new way to interpret the Scriptures. I share it
with you in the hope that you will see this too, and that this will
lead to an alleviating of a lot of doubt about what you may feel the
Scriptures are teaching.

There is an all too common trend among Christians to doubt, if not
outright reject, another person's insight into the Scriptures just
because the doubter cannot as yet see a given truth. We must remember
that the Scriptures are a revealed truth, and that each believer is not
necessarily given the same piece of revealed truth at the same time. I
also feel reasonably confident in claiming that the Scriptures could
not be a revealed truth if they were merely to be interpreted
literally. Please let us take each other's spiritual insights into the
Scriptures seriously and treat them as though God has revealed that
truth to us through the other believer who presented the view. We must
then take that interpretation and check it out against the rest of the
Bible to see if it meshes, all the time prayerfully asking God to give
us His guidance as we study. Let us also not forget to thank Him when
we finally arrive at our conclusion, and finish with a plea that He
will guide us to the real truth if the conclusion that we have arrived
at is incorrect because He has not chosen to reveal that particular
truth to us yet.

Now, back to the original topic. I now see that all the historical
events have been set out so carefully by God to depict all sorts of
spiritual insights, that I can no longer believe that He just set it
all up by knowing what would happen. He had to orchestrate that stuff
so carefully that there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it was
all according to His will. You appear to have doubts because the
Scriptures tell us how displeased God was. I believe that this is His
way of telling us what displeases Him, but not that it was contrary to
His will. I believe that His will was to have a few things happen that
would displease Him. I am not suggesting, however, that He instigated
them. I believe that He just let go of people's hearts enough and in
the right ways so that their own sinful nature caused them to elect to
do those unpleasant things that He wanted to have done. This makes His
abilities even more impressive. He can, aparently, allow a specific bad
thing to occur simply by letting go of any one of us in the right way
by just the right amount, and that still leaves us fully responsible
for deciding to commit that particular sin. Read very carefully the
description of how God hardened Pharoah's heart several times during
the Egyptian plagues. He would never have made Pharoah sin. The only
rational explanation is that He just let go of Pharoah enough so that
his natural state of rebellion against God took over in the right way
to cause him to refuse to let the Israelites go. Also note that His own
enduring of His own wrath could have in no way pleased Him, yet it was
most definitely His will to do so.

Dave Mielke, 613-726-0014
856 Grenon Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
K2B 6G3

coatta@cs.ubc.ca (Terry Coatta) (02/12/90)

Dave Mielke writes:

> You gave a number of other reasons, but I suspect that I need not
> respond to all of them in order to illustrate the point of view which I
> believe God teaches. Romans 8:28 says "And we know that all things work
> together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called
> according to {his} purpose.".

Dave, I don't think that anyone is arguing with you about whether it is
good or not to try and carry out God's will.  The prolem is that you
have not provided a useful means of identifying what is and what not God's
will.  Even if I agreed entirely with your inerrantist beliefs with regard
to scripture, I could not apply the contents of your postings to my life.
You say that if God wills a child to have birth defects, or a mother's
health to be endangered by pregnancy, then that is the will of God.  Why then
is it not the will of God for a child to get polio, or small pox?  Why
is it acceptable to use our medical skills to prevent these problems, and
yet we cannot use those same medical skills to prevent illness or injury
by preventing conception?  Where in scripture does it list what matters are
to be regarded as entirely in the province of the divine, and those in which we
humans may take an active part?  Is the weather in the hands of God?  If
so is it immoral to ``seed clouds'' or even to attempt to predict the weather
so that we may take preventative action?

Terry Coatta
Dept. of Computer Science, UBC, Vancouver BC, Canada
coatta@cs.ubc.ca

`What I lack in intelligence, I more than compensate for with stupidity'