[net.lan] TCP/IP for VAX VMS a Summary

root@uklirb.UUCP (12/02/85)

TCP / IP on VAX VMS a Summary

Here is a summary of some of the replies I received ....

There are a lot of Vendors who offers TCP/IP implementations on a VAX under
VMS.
Carl S. Gutekunst from the Pyramid Technology send me an overview from the

		_DDN_TCP/IP_Implementations_and_Vendors_Guide_

( The following is just a copy of the vendor information from the
book)
		Pyramid Technology       Carl S. Gutekunst, Software R&D
		1295 Charleston Rd         {cmcl2,topaz}!pyrnj!
		Mt. View, CA 94039        {ihnp4,uwvax}!pyrchi!pyramid!csg
		+1 415 965 7200      {allegra,decwrl,dual,sun}!

______

GOULD-ACCESS-VAX

ACCESS is a TCP/IP implementation for DEC VAX/VMS users. It features TCP/IP,
ICMP, Telnet, STMP, FTP, and UDP. It requires no modifications to the VMS
operating system. Installation is straight-forward, using command procedures.
The protocols are implemented in software modules. The network interfaces that
access uses are ACC LH-DH/11 (for DDN/Arpanet), 3Com (for Ethernet), and
Interlan (for Ethernet).

	GOULD Corporation
	GOULD Software Division
	1101 East University Avenue
	Urbana, IL 61801 USA
	+1 800 952 8888 (USA Only toll free)

	Contact: Steve Yasukawa, ARPANET Technical Liaison, +1 217 384 8500
______

VAX-VMS/HYPERLINK

Hyperlink/DDN integrates ARPANET's packet-switching protocol standards with
Internet Systems Corporation's proprietary Ethernet-based hardware connetion
devices or with Network Systems Corporation's HYPERchannel connection devices
for complete connections between LANs and/or long haul networks.

	Internet Systems Corporation
	8360 Oakland Park Blvd.
	Sunrise, Florida 33321 USA

	Contact: Kerry A. Hartley, Director of Sales, +1 313 357 1370
		 Jerry Lieberman, Product Marketing Manager, +1 305 742 0301
______

WOLLONGONG IP/TCP for VMS/VAX

Includes Telnet, FTP, SMTP, Netstat, Finger, and TFTP. Supports the following
network interfaces: ACC LH-DH (1822); ACC HDH (1822); Interlan Ethernet
Controller; DEC Deuna Ethernet Controller; Ungerman Bass; DEC DMR-11.

	The Wollongong Group
	1129 San Antonio Rd.
	Palo Alto, CA 94303 USA
	+1 415 962 7200
______

FUSION

Network software for Ethernet, Pronet, Omninet. Runs TCP/IP and/or XNS
protocols. Provides file transfer (FTP/send,receive), virtual terminal
(Telnet), network management. First released February 1983. Supported on
PDP-11, VAX, Rainbow, DEC Pros, Unix or VMS.

	Network Research Corporation
	[No address published]

	Contact: M. K. Graham, Northwest Sales Manager, +1 408 996 2056
______

The following is *not* listed in the _DDN_TCP/IP_Guide, but I have the vendor's
literature on file.

EXCELAN EXOS-8040 TCP/IP for VAX/VMS
	EXOS-204 Unibus Ethernet Front End Processor

Excelan provides a family of propritary hardware and software products
that provide TCP/IP on Ethernet for a wide range of hosts and operating
systems. Protocols supported include IP, ARP, ICMP, TCP, and UDP. It includes
standard applications including FTP, Telnet and Route as well as a QIO
programming library that implements Berkeley Sockets.  The package
includes hardware, software and transceiver with cables.
The hardware is an intelligent board.  Price is

$8795   EXOS 204, EXOS 8043-01, EXOS 1110 Xcvr, cables      VAX/VMS 3.X
$8795      "      EXOS 8043-02,        "           "        VAX/VMS 4.1
$4995      "      EXOS 8044-01,        "           "       uVAX/uVMS 4.1

	Excelan
	2180 Fortune Drive
	San Jose, CA 95131, USA
	+1 408 945 9526

	Excelan, Ltd.
	Weir Bank, Bray-on-Thames
	Berkshire SL6 2ED, England
	+44 628 34281
______

Experiences using TCP/IP implementations send me david@dcl-cs:

		UUCP:  ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!david
		ARPA: david%lancs.comp@ucl-cs	| Post: Department of Computing
		JANET: david@uk.ac.lancs.comp	|	University of Lancaster
		Phone: +44-524-65201 ext 4133	|	Bailrigg
		Project: LAN Management		|	Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK

From: nz@uucp.wucs

Dave,

	This year we have been running VMS 3.6 and 3.7 on our 750s.
We also bought Eunice from the Wollongong Group, with the TCP/IP add-on.
As of this writing, communication between our 4.2bsd Vaxen and the
3.7VMS Vaxen works very well.  Rsh, rlogin, rcp, telnet, sendmail...,
all work well, with some quirks related to Eunice.

	This was not always the case.  When we first tried to bring up
Eunice TCP/IP, it occupied one of our best system programmers/administrators
for several weeks.  Finally, the Wollongong people told us that we had
some kind of error in a configuration file someplace.

	Another problem is that they do NOT give you the source code for
their network programs.  As a Unix hack, I find lack of source very
frustrating.

	Overall, Eunice TCP/IP is a good product.  I would recommend it
for VMS/Unix communication.  Configuration is difficult, but once that
is done you are ready to start fast data transfer!

From: uucp.mcvax!seismo!ihnp4!mmm!boone

We are running here currently a tcp/ip network of about 20 machines.
currently there are
2 vms machines (use the woologong group tcp/ip package but no eunice)
1 vax bsd4.2
5 suns
4 symbolics
1 imagen printer
6 dandilion ai workstations (currently use pup but soon tcp/ip)
1 data general 4000 under aos

telnet and ftp work well. of courese the r* routines are available for
sun to 4.2 transmission. we will soon be adding the sun network file
system software for 4.2 from mt. xinu.

we also have one additional vms machine connect directly to the
4.2 machine utilizing a 56kb broad band linkage. everything else is on
an ethernet.

shortly we will be adding another 3m site using another woologong product
to connect via decnet. yes tcp/ip gets moved over decnet and back.

shortly we will be adding a long haul link from st. paul to austin tex.
but the method has not been determined.

From: "Nunn, John C." <nunn@arpa.nbs-vms>

David,

We've been using TCP/IP under VMS for years.  For the first couple,
we used the product under the name ACCESS-T, sold by a succession

of companies (DTI, COMPION, GOULD and now INTERNET Systems).  ACCESS-T
was a constant aggravation throughout the time we used.  While we were
always paying for support, we seldom got any.  It was the least friendly
of any software which I've worked with.  I can only hope the developers
of this product are at ground-zero on the first nuclear explosion.

We recently changed to Wollongong's version of TCP/IP (V2.2) which
runs under VMS 4.1.  While I've only had a few weeks, it's superior
(I believe) to ACCESS-T.  However, in the last couple of weeks, I've
discovered some very nasty bugs in the mailer.  I've reported them
to Wollongong support, but they tell me they haven't been able to
reproduce the problems; though they admit they were using VMS 3.7.
While the Wollongong product may be superior, it's too early for me
evaluate their product support.

I've heard of another vendor, but I don't know anything about their
product.

From: roy%uiucdcsb.uiuc.arpa@uucp.uiucdcs

Your note caught my eye.  I am designing a 31 node tcp/ip network for the
U of I Engineering College.  Each node is a gateway to a building.
I am probably going to use Proteon 80 meg boards.  The network will run
TCP/IP.  Each gateway will link the Campus network into building lans.
We have several buildings running 4.2 tcp/ip and several others running DECNET.
My choice of gateway is somewhat governed by whether I can get tcp/ip software
for VMS or whether Ultrix can send tcp/ip and DECNET packets together.
I would appreciate sharing any information you have gathered concerning
tcp/ip comments on VMS and also the mixed environment.
If you have the time, please could you send me any suitable gems.

UUCP:  ...!seismo!unido!uklirb!massar
Phone: +45-631-205-2167 	| Post: Rolf Massar

tucker@ccvaxa.UUCP (12/07/85)

>GOULD-ACCESS-VAX
>
>ACCESS is a TCP/IP implementation for DEC VAX/VMS users. It features
>TCP/IP, ICMP, Telnet, STMP, FTP, and UDP. It requires no modifications
>to the VMS operating system. Installation is straight-forward, using
>command procedures.  The protocols are implemented in software modules.
>The network interfaces that access uses are ACC LH-DH/11 (for
>DDN/Arpanet), 3Com (for Ethernet), and Interlan (for Ethernet).
>
>	GOULD Corporation
>	GOULD Software Division
>	1101 East University Avenue
>	Urbana, IL 61801 USA
>	+1 800 952 8888 (USA Only toll free)
>
>	Contact: Steve Yasukawa, ARPANET Technical Liaison,
>	+1 217 384 8500
This is very old information.  Gould sold ACCESS to Internet some time
ago.  It is no longer our product.  Please contact Internet Corporation
about the ACCESS product.

Tim Tucker
Gould CSD, Urbana Ill.
tucker@gswd-vms.ARPA