[soc.religion.christian] Purgatory

@sun.acs.udel.edu:stabosz@sun.acs.udel.edu (stabosz) (02/09/90)

In article <Jan.31.21.36.26.1990.28266@athos.rutgers.edu> jons@oscsunb.osc.edu (Jon Steinbach (ST)) writes:

> p.s. I would appreciate it if anyone out there could explain what
>      Purgatory (sp ?) is.
********
I'm going to try an explanation, rather than a history of the idea, of
Purgatory.  There are only a couple of Biblical references that
Catholics draw on for this.  One is in Macabbees (I don't have it
right at hand) where it is mentioned that it is good to pray for the
dead.  One is in St. Paul, I believe.  As I understand it, the early
Church did pray for its dead, and the somewhat baroque notions of
Purgatory that evolved in the High Middle Ages took that tradition as
the basis for a weird bartering scheme ("as soon as the coin in the
coffer rings, the soul from Purgatory springs.")

As I understand Purgatory now, it relates somewhat directly to the
questions posed earlier here about "can a terrible sinner repent at
the last moment of life and be saved?"  The answer to that is
obviously yes, as most people pointed out.  But, existentially, what
happens in one's life when one goes from sin to grace?  Part of the
process involves knowledge of the real harm that one's sin has done,
to oneself and to others.  Sometimes that knowledge is horrible.  This
is true even when the sinful action was not fully known to be sinful -
and, in Catholic theology, a sinful act must be known to be sinful in
order for there to be guilt.  But in and of themselves, objectively
sinful acts do harm in the world.

Concrete (and painful) example.  When I was much younger, and my sister
was younger still, I helped her get birth control pills.  This was while
she was still in high school.  I thought that because she was "in love"
with her young man, this was a good act on my part.  (This was before
I became an adult Catholic - or, rather, while I was "between" the
times of practicing my faith.)  The results were disastrous.  She became
sexually active, the "romance" died as a direct result of the sexual
acts, she was hurt terribly.  And my act was a contributing factor.

It wasn't until much later, when I was back practicing my faith, and
thinking back to the years I had spent away from God, that I
realized the full import of what I had done.  The very real harm I
had caused.  When I realized this, I was completely grief-stricken.
I cried and cried for hours one afternoon, so sorry for how I had
entered her life in such a harmful way.  Later I did what I could to
make it up, and I still do not consider that she is over the effects of
my act.

That experience I believe to be the experience of Purgatory.  One
doesn't just "jump" into salvation and heaven, as if the act of
salvation changes one instantly into a loving person.  One learns to
love, and part of that process is learning the effects of not loving.
So Purgatory is the experience of, after death, when we are no longer
bound by time and space, experiencing the sometimes painful growth that
all us sinners go through as we grow in love towards God.

I personally want to do all my purgatory on earth.  I aspire to be a
saint - in the Catholic sense: not just someone who attains salvation,
as Paul uses the word "saints" in his epistles, but someone in whom
God can break through for good in this world "as with the saints of
old".  St. Rae - my friends around the U. of D. know I hope to be
canonized Patron Saint of Sex.  God knows we need one in these
times.....

--
Rae D. Stabosz
University of Delaware

ctdonath@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Carl T. Donath) (02/12/90)

What little study I have done on purgatory (I am Protestant) indicates that
there is no such place. The only mention of it is apparently in the books
of the Apocrypha which is generally rejected by non-Catholics (please, no
flame war on this for now). I searched specifically for the "it is good
to pray for the dead" quote without success. Instead, there is much
indicating that death leads to heaven or hell - no middleground.
I can search for more specific references if you want....

Remember Jesus' parable of the wedding feast where outsiders were brought
in to participate. When one was found to be unworthy to be there (no
wedding clothes), he was bound and thrown outsides "to where there is
weeping and gnashing of teeth", i.e. he was given sufficient opportunity
to prepare (repent), but when he did not, and the last chance passed by,
no further opportunity was given.

[As a Protestant, my tradition is also against both Purgatory and
prayers for the dead.  I'm not going to comment on Purgatory here.
But prohibiting prayers for the dead seems to me to be unjustifiable,
and in some cases amazingly inhumane.  After a loved one has died, we
are naturally concerned about them.  We are told to bring all of our
concerns to God in prayer.  Praying for loved ones seems an obviously
Christian response.  We are told in Protestant tradition that those
who have died in in God's hands, and do not need our prayers.  But
people who are alive are in God's hands as well.  Prayer serves many
purposes, and praying for someone who has died need not indicate any
lack of faith in God's dealing with them.  --clh]

avo@icad.com (Alex Orlovsky) (02/22/90)

In article <Feb.18.13.15.08.1990.13263@athos.rutgers.edu>, Mac Horton writes:

>rejected by Protestants, so that's why you didn't find it. By the way,
>I believe the Orthodox accept these books -- I'd appreciate correction
>if I'm mistaken.
>
>	As a point of information, we Catholics don't refer to them as
>"Apocrypha"; for us they are simply Scripture, not different from any
>other books of the Bible.

The Roman Catholic and Orthodox have almost the same definition of the OT
canon.  We also agree that the name "Apocrypha" is not appropriate.  The
fathers of the Church applied this term to writings which, for
one reason or another, would cause the faithful to stumble.  The term
recommended nowadays by RC and Orth. alike is "Deuterocanonical."
The broad (49 book) and narrow (39 book) OT canons are also referred to as
Alexandrian and Palestinian, although these names suggest a rigid a line of
geographic demarcation which may not have existed.

In the early Church there was a lot of debate about the OT canon. That
famous son of Alexandria St. Athanasius maintained that the narrow canon
was Scriptural, but at the same time his own writings are peppered with
quotations or allusions to the other ten books.  He may not have considered
them to be Scripture, but he clearly believed that they could help confirm
the faith, which is *not* the case with apocryphal literature.

Modern Orthodox liturgical practice uses Deuterocanonical elements.  In
Matins on Holy Saturday, for instance, we sing the Song of the Three
Holy Youths in its entirety.  When done in canonarch style, it is unsurpassed
for encouraging congregational singing.

>Purgatory is believed to be a temporary place/condition.

Before I step down from the soap box, let me add a few remarks on Purgatory.
In the Orthodox Church there is disagreement on some aspects of what
happens after death. While some Orthodox espouse a purgatory-like stage and
others vociferously denounce any thing that smacks of Purgatory, most
are very reluctant to make dogmatic pronouncements on a subject about which
precious little is known and is frankly not an essential aspect of the Faith.

The Orthodox do, however, pray for the dead, at every service as a matter of
fact.  Christ triumphed over death, thus the dead in Christ are still very
much members of his Church.  If it makes sense to pray for anyone, then it
doesn't matter whether that person is dead or alive.  The same eternal God hears.

"Praise ye the Lord and supremely exalt him, unto the ages."
Song of the Three Holy Youths