[soc.religion.christian] Throw logic to the wind

JKH107@psuvm.psu.edu (02/22/90)

In article <Feb.18.13.11.27.1990.13194@athos.rutgers.edu>,
jmoon@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu (Jonggu Moon [890911]) says:

>   In the Bible it says "Lean not on your own understanding but
>trust in the will of God" I forgot where it says it.

In Proverbs 3 it says "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do
not lean on your own understanding."

>   Does that mean we should throw our logic ( a gift from God ) to the
>four winds ?
>   When people disagree about such things as inerrancy or any other
>seemingly illogical statements in the Bible, are to turn off our brains
>and not question the meanings ?

Of course not.  The wonderful thing about Christianity is that it does
hold up logically given its assumptions which must be taken by faith.
What I think the verse in Proverbs is trying to say is that when we
don't understand something, we should pray to God to make it clear to us.
There are limitations to our logic, and we should recognize these and
trust in God for what we cannot understand.

>   It is said that God's logic is much better than ours and that's why
>we should trust in him. But for the skeptic and doubter, the only thing
>they have is their logic. If the Bible seems illogical, how are they supposed
>to willingly place their life in Christ ? It is a big deal after all.
>If Christ was not truly ressurected, then Christians are to be pittied above
>all other men. Why did God give us logic only so that we can put it on
>hold ?

"But Christ is raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have
fallen asleep" (I Cor.).  If a person doubts sincerely, he will hope-
fully be looking for the truth that can only be found in the message of
Christ.

>For example:
>
>  Will we have free will in heaven ? If so, what's there to have free
>will about ? There's no choice of evil. Will it be the free will to
>worship God in one way as opposed to another ?

We have already made our decision by deciding whether we wish to
be with God or not.

>^>*<^ Jon

Joy Haftel
JKH107@PSUVM

daemon@garage.att.com (Joseph H. Buehler) (02/22/90)

Jonggu Moon queries:

	 Will we have free will in heaven ? If so, what's there to have free
   will about ? There's no choice of evil. Will it be the free will to
   worship God in one way as opposed to another ?

Free will is not the ability to choose between good and evil.  Because,
as you observe, there is no ability to choose evil in Heaven.  For that
matter, God cannot choose evil, and one certainly can't suggest that He
has not free will.

Free will is the ability to choose the means fitted to the attainment of
some end.

The possibility of a human being choosing evil here below is an
indication of the presence of free will in roughly the same way that a
104 degree fever is an indication of the presence of life.

jhpb@garage.att.com

[Joe: this posting didn't make it out of ATT.  It was forwarded
to me personally by a postmaster somewhere.  I suggest that you
check your software.  --clh]

geoff@uunet.uu.net (Geoff Allen) (02/22/90)

jmoon@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu (Jonggu Moon [890911]) writes:

>   In the Bible it says "Lean not on your own understanding but
>trust in the will of God" I forgot where it says it.

And the moderator replies:
>[May I suggest that you check your quotation?  With so many
>translations, it's very hard to prove that something isn't in the
>Bible, but I looked through every occurence of "understanding" in the
>RSV (easy enough since when I edit this group I have a computerized
>Bible one keystroke away).  All references are positive.

From the New International Version:

	Trust in the LORD with all your heart
	 and lean not on your own understanding;
	in all your ways acknowledge him,
	 and he will make your paths straight.
			--Proverbs 3:5-6

>... Throughout the historical books, many men are
>praised as having understanding.  The Psalms constantly pray for
>understanding.  Proverbs praises it many places.  Paul praises it in
>many letters.

Agreed.  The greatest commandment is to love the Lord our God with all
our heart, soul, mind, and strength (Mark 12:30).

I see Proverbs 3:5-6 dealing more with the issue of trusting God.  For
example, when God asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, his `own
understanding' probably would have been that this was an absurd thing to
do.  Abraham's `own understanding' of how he could become a `father of
multitudes' at an advanced age was flawed enough to lead him to father a
child through Hagar.  The disciples' `own understanding' was that for
Jesus to die would be terrible.

When God makes something clear, we should trust him rather than trying
to use our own understanding.  God's a lot smarter than I am, and I
should be willing to trust him to know what he's talking about.

That's how I see Proverbs 3:5-6.

--
Geoff Allen                  \  Since we live by the Spirit,
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \  let us keep in step with the Spirit.