[soc.religion.christian] Sources for Demonology

lums@ai.mit.edu (Andy Lumsdaine) (02/12/90)

In his book _People of the Lie_, M. Scott Peck discusses his
experiences at several (real) exorcisms.  Apparently, at least two
were actual satanic possessions.  I would highly recommend this book
as a starting place; Dr. Peck seems very credible (to me, at least).

Regards,
A.L.

hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) (02/22/90)

In article <Feb.18.13.29.17.1990.13446@athos.rutgers.edu> bgsuvax!kutz@cis.ohio-state.edu (Kenneth J. Kutz) writes:

>ON GODHOOD (SPIRITUAL EVOLUTION):
>
>Peck: "What are we growing toward?  Where is the end point, the goal of
>       evolution?  What is it that God wants from us?... For no matter how
>       much we like to pussyfoot around it, all of us who postulate a loving
>       God and really think about it eventually come to a single terrifying
>       idea: God wants us to become Himself (or Herself or Itself).  We
>       are growing toward Godhood.  God is the goal of evolution."
>                                - page 269  The Road Less Travelled

>      "And the Serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For
>       God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall
>       be open, and ye shall be as gods."
>                                - Genesis 3: 4-5

You might want to be careful using this particular scripture to
refute Peck's idea.  Just because Satan says it does not make it
false and he will gladly mix a little truth in his temptation to
make us swallow the lie that goes with it.  This is a perfect
example.  Satan really claims 2 things here:

	1.  You shall not surely die.

	2.  Your eyes will be opened and you will be as gods,
	knowing good and evil.

The first claim is patently false, they did surely die.  However the
second claim, the one similar to Peck's thesis, is not only true but
is validated by God himself later in the same chapter, "...the man
is become as one of us to know good and evil..."  (Gen 3:22)

I think we can learn 2 things from this account of Satan's lie and
God's response to it:

	1.  Any source, no matter how despicable, can occasionally
	get something right.  (Surely there are few less trustworthy
	sources than Satan.)  Therefore we need not reject something
	just because we don't like the source.

	2.  A few isolated bits of truth do not confirm a source as
	truthful.  Before we accept a source as reliable we need to
	investigate it fully.

I think that what we should do is investigate all ideas regardless
of the source.  These ideas should be accepted or rejected on their
own merits, not by blatant appeal to authority.  The only exception
would be a direct revelation from God and even then I think He wants
us to try to understand it, not just blindly accept it.  "Prove all
things, hold fast that which is good." (1 Thes 5:21)

I would extend this to all Peck's ideas as well.  His popularity
with "New-age" people, his comments on someone later condemned by
the Catholic Church etc. are not the issue.  Even his past record is
an issue only as a guide to how competent he is.  Examine his (and
others) works on the evidence.  Do they withstand scrutiny?

[It seems pretty clear that Gen 3:22 does not approve of man's knowing
good and evil.  It says "he's already become independent of us in
judging good and evil, now before he does something even worse let's
put a stop to all this".  In context I'd say what God is objecting to
is man developing his own understanding of good and evil independent
of God's.   --clh]

dps@uunet.uu.net ( Dan Smith ) (02/22/90)

I find M. Scott Peck has very little experience on this subject and his view
is rather humanistic rather than biblical. A recognized authority on this
subject is Lester Sumrall, who has dealt for many years with many situations
and cultures with respect to demonic influence. His book, *Demons*, is IMO, a
much better starting place.
--
Laura Smith  (Dan's other half)  dps@acd4  uunet!acd4!dps

hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) (02/25/90)

In article <Feb.22.04.11.30.1990.6195@athos.rutgers.edu> hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) writes:

>In article <Feb.18.13.29.17.1990.13446@athos.rutgers.edu> bgsuvax!kutz@cis.ohio-state.edu (Kenneth J. Kutz) writes:

>>ON GODHOOD (SPIRITUAL EVOLUTION):

>>      "And the Serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For
>>       God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall
>>       be open, and ye shall be as gods."
>>                                - Genesis 3: 4-5

I write:
>  Satan really claims 2 things here:

>	1.  You shall not surely die.

>	2.  Your eyes will be opened and you will be as gods,
>	knowing good and evil.

>The first claim is patently false, they did surely die.  However the
>second claim, the one similar to Peck's thesis, is not only true but
>is validated by God himself later in the same chapter, "...the man
>is become as one of us to know good and evil..."  (Gen 3:22)

The moderator comments:
>[It seems pretty clear that Gen 3:22 does not approve of man's knowing
>good and evil.  It says "he's already become independent of us in
>judging good and evil, now before he does something even worse let's
>put a stop to all this".  In context I'd say what God is objecting to
>is man developing his own understanding of good and evil independent
>of God's.   --clh]

Well, this is getting a bit away from my original point and I hate
to disagree with our moderator (I think he does an excellent job).
However I'm not sure I totally  agree with this.  To me the verse
seems to be saying that the man now knows good and evil *like* we
do, not necessarily independent from us.  The fruit after all was
placed there by God so the knowledge of good and evil did in fact
come from God (indirectly).  I agree that the next item on the
agenda is to keep the situation from getting worse as the rest of
the verse indicates:  Lest he partake of the tree of life and
live forever...

Why was it so bad that Adam could live forever?  After all, without
eating the forbidden fruit he would have done so anyway.  I think that
knowing good and evil he (and by extension all of us) could now sin.
There is a great difference between eternal life in a sinless state and
eternal life as a sinner.  In fact I heard once that there is a
Jewish ledgend that Cain's real punishment was that he would not be
allowed to die as long as the world exists - he would have to live
with what he had done.  True or not this illustrates the situation
Adam would have been in had he eaten of the tree of life and lived
forever in his sin.  Eventually life would become a burden instead
of a blessing.

The solution of course was for Adam (and us) to die physically but
for Jesus to come and pay the price not only for Adam's
transgression but also for ours if we repent.  This provides us the
opportunity to be freed from our sins so that eternal life becomes
not only tolerable but desirable.