[soc.religion.christian] Jesus in Temple + Bede's Sparrow + Nave Bible on-line?

xerox@cs.vu.nl (J. A. Durieux) (06/05/90)

[Please excuse my bad English - it isn't my mother's tongue..]

(1) I think I can add something quite authoritative to the "Jesus driving
    merchants out of the Temple" debate.  Quite authoritative, since I got
    it from God Himself.  When I was at the point of becoming a Christian,
    God has done some quite wonderful things with me, I won't go into that
    now, but one of them was giving me a very direct message.
    At that time I was reading the discussed passage, and I told God that I
    couldn't really believe in a good God doing such things.  He then
    referred me to the Corintian letter where it says that our bodies are
    temples of the Holy Spirit (I didn't know that passage, but He just
    told me chapter and verse where to look), and went on to explain that
    in the same way the Temple in Jerusalem was Jesus' body (remember
    Jesus' remark about rebuilding the Temple in three days).  The lesson
    was, or at least *a* lesson was, that we should be meek and loving
    towards the outer world, but be harsh towards the sin living within our
    own body.
    I cannot answer to the question about the child being killed, however,
    with any authority.  The above was all He told me.

(2) Bede's story about the sparrow is used by Schopenhauer
    [I tell this on authority of Daniel Kiehl, who repeats the story in
    Latin and Dutch in his book "Natuurlijke Historie van den Philistein"]
    in order to attack Christianity:  he accuses Christianity of not
    having lived up to its promise, since while it gives a lot of
    information about where the sparrow goes after it leaves the hall, it
    has hardly anything to say about where it was before it entered.
    Are souls created "on the spot" at conception?  Does God hold a store
    of them?  That kind of questions.

(3) Joining in to the discussion about on-line Bible studying, does anyone
    have Nave's topical Bible on-line?  It would "only" take typing in the
    reverse index at the end of the book, and subsequently replace all the
    page+column-numbers with the key-words, but it still seems a horrible
    task to do, to me (if it is allowed at all, given copyright laws).
    On the other hand, I would really appreciate it, since finding texts
    with the same meaning, even if with completely different phrasing, is
    the difficult thing in doing Bible study.  I have the paper version,
    but lacking context makes it tedious to use.

    Along the same line, does any have a good cross-reference collection
    on-line?  The collection in the New-World Translation (the Watchtower
    Bible) is great (just like their translation) as long as it isn't about
    the divinity of Jesus or other things they don't like.

					       Biep.

gevans@oiscola.columbia.ncr.com (GKEvans) (06/07/90)

In article <Jun.5.00.10.39.1990.16904@athos.rutgers.edu> xerox@cs.vu.nl (J. A. Durieux) writes:

>(3) Joining in to the discussion about on-line Bible studying, does anyone
>    have Nave's topical Bible on-line?  It would "only" take typing in the

          [ stuff deleted ]

>    Along the same line, does any have a good cross-reference collection
>    on-line?  The collection in the New-World Translation (the Watchtower
>    Bible) is great (just like their translation) as long as it isn't about
>    the divinity of Jesus or other things they don't like.
>
>					       Biep.

You really caught my attention when you mentioned the New World Translation
which is the "official" bible of the Watchtower Bible Society
(a.k.a Jehovah's Witnesses).  I understand your interest in their
topical cross-reference in the back of this book, but I must disagree
completely that the translation is great - it is mostly a corrupted
version of the KJV, and is devoid of integrity with respect to the
accepted Greek manuscripts.  The Greek "scholarship" is just not there,
so I admonish you to be very, very careful in using this translation
as a vehicle for understanding what the Bible is saying.

Gary K. Evans, Software type    |"Come now, and let us reason together..."
gevans@oiscola.columbia.ncr.com |                             (Isa. 1:18)
These are my opinions,          |
     and not my employer's.     |