[soc.religion.christian] With all due respect for Catholics...

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (05/29/90)

In article <May.24.00.12.17.1990.18715@athos.rutgers.edu>, st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) writes...
>A recent post mentioned the council of Nicaea's declaration that
>priests be celibate.  Though this is no doubt a long-standing tradition
>(and not without scriptural support (1 Corinthians 7)), I have wondered
>how Catholics explain that St. Peter had a mother-in-law and was thus
>obviously married?

I don't think that any Catholic would deny this point--it's not
that important. St. Augustine, for example, never married, but
was a father.

The first thing is that priestly celibacy does _not_ date back to
the beginnings of the church. It was imposed later because it was
decided that a celibate priest would be better able to discharge
his duties. The celibacy of the priesthood is a _discipline_ (as
opposed to _doctrine_) that could quite possibly be changed or be
subject to a special dispensation (although either is unlikely).
The second thing is that marriage does not necessarily imply a
lack of celibacy (just as non-marriage does notimply celibacy):
the Catholic church has ordained priests--in this century--who
were married. However, after becoming ordained, they also became
celibate.

-dh

[As an semi-interesting aside, the first time I ever heard the
term celibacy was when I was in 3rd grade home sick with the
Chicken pox watching the dating game. Bachelorette #2 announced
that she was celibate, bachelorette #3 was selected for the
date.]

---
Don Hosek                         "When I was younger, I would throw
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu          spitballs at girls that I liked. Now,
dhosek@ymir.bitnet                 I beg and plead for dates. Frankly, the
uunet!jarthur!ymir                 old way was more satisfying."

oracle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Brian T. Coughlin) (05/29/90)

Re: Steven Timm

In article <May.24.00.12.17.1990.18715@athos.rutgers.edu>,
 st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) writes:

>A recent post mentioned the council of Nicaea's declaration that
>priests be celibate.  Though this is no doubt a long-standing tradition
>(and not without scriptural support (1 Corinthians 7)), I have wondered
>how Catholics explain that St. Peter had a mother-in-law and was thus
>obviously married?

  Hi, Steven!

    From my own lowly perspective :), I don't think Peter's marital
 status would affect things much, unless there were some deliberate
 attempt by the early Church to JUSTIFY celibacy by use of the life
 of St. Peter. To the best of my knowledge, the Church has not tried
 to do that. (Is anyone out there certain of this, one way or the
 other?)

    Celibacy, in the eyes of the Church, is a condition that fosters
 a deeper and more devoted life to God. That fact alone is enough to
 promote celibacy as a beneficial Christian force. NOTE: in this
 setting, it can be seen that the Church does NOT condemn non-celibacy...
 any more than the Church condemns the laity for not being of
 religious high status.

    I recall that St. Paul urged celibacy to ALL Christians, but even
 he made a point of saying that it was merely a recommendation... a
 piece of non-divine advice, if you will.

    "Should you marry, however, you will not be committing sin."

                                          (1 Corinthians 7:28)

    "The unmarried man is busy with the Lord's affairs, concerned with
 pleasing the Lord; but the married man is busy with this world's
 demands and occupied with pleasing his wife. This means he is divided."

                                          (1 Corinthians 7:32-33)

    It seems that the Council of Nicaea took these bits of advice to
 heart, since it was in their interest to encourage the holiest possible
 lives in priests and other religious.

    So Peter, though acclaimed the first pope (somewhat retroactively,
 it seems... :) ), was in no danger of sin, on this occasion. I doubt
 that Peter had anything to do with later celibacy rulings.

--
   Take care!

   Sincerely,     Brian Coughlin
                  oracle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

chrise@hpsrcje.hp.com (05/29/90)

In soc.religion.christian, st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) writes:
    A recent post mentioned the council of Nicaea's declaration that
    priests be celibate.  Though this is no doubt a long-standing tradition
    (and not without scriptural support (1 Corinthians 7)), I have wondered
    how Catholics explain that St. Peter had a mother-in-law and was thus
    obviously married?

Well, I guess we're forced to admit that St. Peter lived before the council
of Nicea. :-)

A slightly longer answer involves the Catholic distinction between doctrine
and discipline.  Many of the "un-Scriptural" traditions of the Church to
which Protestants protest are not "man-made doctrines", but disciplines.

Doctrine doesn't change (although it does devlop--cf. Cardinal Newman),
and indeed the Church has no power over doctrine--it merely hands on what
it has received from its Founder.

Discipline consists of the laws that the Church has made, which it may
change as well.  Joe Buehler has already pointed out the diversity among
the rites of the Catholic Church on the advisability of the _discipline_ of
priestly celibacy.

Chris

Unity in essentials, freedom in non-essentials, and charity toward all.
	-- Augustine

ta00est@unccvax.UUCP (elizabeth s tallant) (06/05/90)

Even Jesus disciples were married.

How can you say that a priest is better able to concetrate if he is unmarried?
It seems to me that he would have far less chance of thinking certain impure
thoughts if he had a wife.

[Clearly there are both advantages and disadvantages.  Paul obviously
felt the advantages outweighed the disadvantages.  E.g. 1 Cor 7:25ff.
As long as everyone agrees that there nothing intrinsically
impermissible about married priests, then it's just a debate about
what is most useful for the Church.  --clh]

jhpb@garage.att.com (06/05/90)

> I don't think that any Catholic would deny this point--it's not
> that important. St. Augustine, for example, never married, but
> was a father.

In case it wasn't clear, Augustine had an illegitimate child *before*
his conversion.  You can read his story in his "Confession".

Joe Buehlre

wagner@karazm.math.uh.edu (David Wagner) (06/05/90)

   I'm going to try to respond to this without turning it into
a flame, which, given the Lutheran literature on the subject, would be
all too easy.

   For reference, see Melancthon's 'Apology to the Augsburg confession',
Article 23, 'The Marriage of Priests'.

  Melancthon wrote in response to the following in the Roman Confutation
to the Augsburg confession:

"...They [the Lutheran princes] call sacerdotal celibacy an abuse when the
direct contrary, the violation of celibacy and unlawful transition to marriage,
deserves to be called the worst abuse in priests...The princes ought not
tolerate it, to the perpetual shame and disgrace of the Roman Empire, but
should rather conform with the universal church..."

The principle point of Melancthon's response was that vows of celibacy were
honored mostly in the breach.  He further cites Paul: "But since there is so
much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own
husband." (1 Cor 7:2) and "But if they cannot control themselves, they should
marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion." (1 Cor 7:9).
He cited the council of Nicea, which (as mentioned in a previous article)
refused to make a requirement of priestly celibacy.  IMHO this gives an
interesting insight into how error has crept into the church.  This idea
gets started, and the church rightly resists it, but does not quite
succeed in stamping it out.  Several hundred years later the error
becomes enshrined in church doctrine or practice.  I believe just about
everything that Protestants find objectionable in Roman Catholicism had
its origins in this manner.

   Some of his more pointed comments:

"But they are not serious about celibacy.  They know good and well how few
practice chastity, but they use religion as a pretext to maintain their
authority, which they think chastity enhances."

"...although our opponents do not defend this regulation for religious
reasons, since they see that it is not being observed, still they cloak
it with pious-sounding phrases to give it a religious front.  They claim
that they require celibacy because it is pure, as though marriage was
impure and sinful or that celibacy merited justification more than
marriage."
  He goes on to show that there is no foundation in scripture for this view.
We all should be on guard against pious-sounding phrases that have no basis in
scripture, on any number of subjects.

  It is interesting that Melancthon quotes 1 Tim 2:15, which is generally
regarded as one of the more doctrinally difficult passages in the Bible:

"But women will be saved through childbearing--if they continue in faith,
love and holiness with propriety."

He does this to show that marriage is just as blessed, if not more, as is
celibacy.  Melancthon would surely never suggest that childbearing is
a good work which merits salvation, but he quotes this anyway.  One
possible interpretation that avoids what appears to be a dilemna for
Lutherans is "Women will be kept safe through childbearing", which makes
just a little more sense.

  "The canon commands that priests [who marry] should be suspended; our
canonists suspend them all right-- not from office but from trees!  They
cruelly kill men because they are married."

  I suppose that's a historical flame; I don't pretend Catholic practice is
the same today.  But people should be aware of their history.

  I see one reason, which is supported in the Scripture, for a person to choose
celibacy and remain unmarried.  That is that first of all, God has given
them the ability to do so. Secondly, if that person chooses celibacy to
permit him or her to do better work in God's kingdom. (1 Cor 7:32-35). But
Paul clearly instructs us not to judge each other in this matter.

  Luther, incidentally, was inclined not to marry.  But when he met Katherine
von Bora (not quite sure on the last name) he changed his mind--perhaps so
that other pastors would not have doubts remaining in their consciences
regarding marriage.  According to history, she had her sights set on him and
sought him out!  By all acounts the marriage was a very happy one.

David H. Wagner
A confessional Lutheran
My opinions and beliefs are not likely to conincide with any held by
The University of Houston.

kriz@skat.usc.edu (Dennis Kriz) (06/07/90)

A certain historical perspective has to be taken into account too.
Celibacy was enforced in the Church not in small measure to prevent
Church posts (particularly those of the Bishops) from becoming hereditary.

The Catholic Church's history is *long* ... It passed through a period
where just about every other position of power was deemed hereditary.
(Kings, lords and what-not).  I think that it was a good thing that
the Bishops were not allowed to become both "pope and ceasar"

dennis
kriz@skat.usc.edu