[soc.religion.christian] poll of Presbyterians

cattanac@casca.cs.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) (06/05/90)

I saw a poll taken of Presbyterians (my denomination, BTW) over the
question 'Do you consider pre-marital sex to be immoral?'  The
breakdown of 'yes' answers went something like this:

60%  lay members, average Joe-in-the-pew
40%  elders
30%  clergy
20%  specialized clergy

The numbers are approximations from memory, but the pattern is
correct.  'specialized clergy' is the term the poll used, I won't
venture a guess as to its meaning.  It just struck me as odd that
the further up the chain you went, the lower the % that thought
pre-marital sex immoral.  Comments?

--
  -catt (cattanac@cs.uiuc.edu)
For the list of ascii art, finger me (and ship me your ascii contributions).

[Specialized clergy would be clergy in positions other than pastor
of a church, I suspect.  I don't think they're "higher".  --clh]

credmond@watmath.waterloo.edu (Chris Redmond) (06/07/90)

In article <Jun.5.00.20.52.1990.17342@athos.rutgers.edu> cattanac@casca.cs.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) writes:
>I saw a poll taken of Presbyterians over the
>question 'Do you consider pre-marital sex to be immoral?'  The
>breakdown of 'yes' answers went something like this:
>60%  lay members, average Joe-in-the-pew
>40%  elders
>30%  clergy
>20%  specialized clergy
>It just struck me as odd that
>the further up the chain you went, the lower the % that thought
>pre-marital sex immoral.  Comments?
>[Specialized clergy would be clergy in positions other than pastor
>of a church, I suspect.  I don't think they're "higher".  --clh]

I suspect the outcome would be similar for many other questions
about morality, social issues, even structural change in the
church itself.

Probable explanation:  the more time you've spent thinking about
moral or ecclesiastical or social issues, the more you've read
about these subjects and heard lectures about them, and the more
direct experience of other people's troubles and dilemmas you have
had, the less likely you are to make black-and-white judgements
about Right and Wrong.

CAR
credmond@watmath

cattanac@casca.cs.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) (06/07/90)

[cattanac@casca.cs.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) posted a poll that
listed "specialized clergy" as group of respondents.  He asked what
that meant.  I said that Specialized clergy would be clergy in
positions other than pastor of a church, I suspect.  --clh]

My guesses would be :

1) ministers of music, etc.

2) 'higher ups'

you may be right about 1) being closest to being correct.

--
  -catt (cattanac@cs.uiuc.edu)

[I'm an elder in the church involved, so I'm not just guessing.  There
are no ministers of music in the Presbyterian Church (USA).  Not even
ministers of education.  The Presbyterian tradition defines a very
specific role for a Minister of the Word and Sacraments, which makes
it impossible to have the "ministers of XXX" that some other
denominations do.  I'm not sure what a "higher up" would be.  There
are certainly ministers serving in administrative roles in
Presbyteries, Synods, and the General Assembly.  However they are not
thought of as being in any sense "higher".  These are staff positions.
We are fairly careful to avoid any structure that would give somebody
the idea they are a "higher up".  There are moderators of the
prebytery, synod, and G.A., but these are temporary positions that
last for only a year, and alternate between ministers and elders.
Specialized clergy would be chaplains, seminary faculty, and others in
roles other than traditional parish ministry.  But for the word
"clergy" to be used, they would have to be Ministers of the Word and
Sacrament, because that's all we've got.  Even a "specialized
ministry" has to involve the basic tasks that a minister does, or the
Presbytery involved wouldn't allow a minister to serve in it.  --clh]

mike@turing.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (06/07/90)

I think the reason for the difference is pretty clear.  The increase
in percentages of people who accept pre-marital sex as you get more
and more "ecclesiastical" (for lack of a better word) match a very
similar increase as you get more educated.

What does *that* tell us?

	-mib
--
    Michael I. Bushnell      \     This above all; to thine own self be true
LIBERTE, EGALITE, FRATERNITE  \    And it must follow, as the night the day,

cattanac@clitus.cs.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) (06/09/90)

cattanac@casca.cs.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) writes:

>[I'm an elder in the church involved, so I'm not just guessing.  There
>are no ministers of music in the Presbyterian Church (USA).  Not even

I could have sworn that my church (Presbyterian, BTW) had a minister
of music, at least until he left recently.  Oh well.

--
  -catt (cattanac@cs.uiuc.edu)