[soc.religion.christian] l

tom@dvnspc1.dev.unisys.com (Tom Albrecht) (06/09/90)

Subject: Re: Question on Finding A Church

In article <Jun.7.00.51.08.1990.24507@athos.rutgers.edu> telesci!kstehm@pyrnj.pyramid.com (Kevin J. Stehm) writes:
>The question for finding a church was answered for me in a ... ready? ...
>
>		A NON-DENOMINATIONAL CHURCH!
>
>Calary Chapel to be exact.

>So I vote "YEA" to Non-denoms.

I suspect that when someone uses the term "non-denominational" what they
really mean is "independent".  This whole notion of "No creed but Christ"
is interesting, but practically useless.  Every church, whether denominational
or non-denominational has some creed or point of reference for doctrine.
It may the pastor's notes, or a formal creed, or a statement of beliefs, but
every church has one.

Independency is not necessarily a good thing, and many of us would consider
it to be unbiblical.  So if you are using "non-denominational" to mean
"independent" you'll get no Yeah from me.

To say that one is a Presbyterian (as I am) is not that same as saying
"I am of Apollos".  Please let's not confuse things.

--
Tom Albrecht