[soc.religion.christian] Pushy Christians/Loving Christians

levene@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (Robert A. Levene) (06/27/90)

In article <Jun.24.02.46.55.1990.4455@athos.rutgers.edu> Jason Gabler writes:

>	We have had alot of bashing lately on Christian practices of what
>Christians would call "winteesing": telling other about Christianity and
>Jesus.
>	Much of the negative feeling in that area has been directed towards
>Messianic Jews who preach the gospel, let's say for now, fervently.

Mr. Gabler fails to distinguish between the fervent criticism of the
deceptive practices of the "Messianic Jews" and of tolerant dislike for
sincere Christian witnessing.

This critical distinction was the main point of my first post on the topic,
in which I wrote:

"  If a Christian missionary says 'I would like you to
accept Jesus and therefore become Christian' then I'd at least respect him
for his sincerity and enthusiasm for his system of beliefs."

That is, I understand that Christianity often requires witnessing, and
while I don't like it, I don't expect Christians to stop.

" But when Christians claim that they are Jewish, [...] and demand
recognition as members of the normative Jewish community, then I strongly
object [...]"

It is this deception which I and others frequently "bash."
Once again, here's my peace proposal:

1.  Have the "Messianic Jews" change their name to something
    like "Yeshuists" or "Messianics" to reflect their Christianity
    and to distinguish themselves from normative Judaism.

2.  Publicly identify themselves as Christians by listing their
    houses of worship under the heading "Churches" and by
    saying "We are Christians (but we consider ourselves Jewish)"
    instead of "We are Jews (but we consider ourselves Christian.)"

 It is irrelevant to me what they, or anyone else, consider themselves to be.
 It is critically important to me how they publically identify themselves.

- Rob Levene

Robert A. Levene/  The Johns Hopkins U.  \Internet: levene@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
  |  ||  | |   /Applied Physics Laboratory\ BITNET: RXL1@APLVM
Disclaimer: "If I am not for myself, who will be for me?" - Hillel _Avot_1:14