[soc.religion.christian] speaking in tongues, etc

jkk@aiai.edinburgh.ac.uk (John Kingston) (06/27/90)

--

I take the point that Acts lists people from 15 regions who heard the
disciples speaking in their own language, and there were only 12

  I base my view on the following:
 1/ The disciples had received the Holy Spirit, and there is evidence
elsewhere in the New Testament (1 Corinthians) that speaking in tongues is
associated with the Holy Spirit.

  2/ The crowds had not received the Holy Spirit, and I can't think of any
Biblical evidence for a gift of understanding of a foreign language.
(Interpretation, yes; translation, no).

  3/ I have heard a few stories of people in this century "speaking in
tongues" and being understood by speakers of a foreign language. I can
supply a reference for one such story: *Renewal* magazine (probably Jan,
Feb or Mar 1990 - I can't find my copy), which deals
largely with renewal in the Church of England, published an article by a
mssionary couple who had returned home from Sri Lanka, and heard an
Englishman speaking fluent Sinhalese in a Sunday service. They also noted
that an interpretation was given, and was fairly accurate.

God bless,
 John K.
John Kingston, AI Applications Institute, University of Edinburgh,
	       80 South Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1HN, Scotland
E-mail jkk@uk.ac.ed.aiai, phone 031-225 4464 ext. 213   FAX: 031 226 2730
Arpanet: J.Kingston%uk.ac.ed@nfsnet-relay.ac.uk    TELEX: 727442 UNIVED G

correll@sun.udel.edu (Sharon J Correll) (07/02/90)

John Kingston writes:
>I take the point that Acts lists people from 15 regions who heard the
>disciples speaking in their own language, and there were only 12
>disciples. I also agree that it is impossible to speak 2 languages at once.
>I imagine that some disciples spoke first in one language, then in another,
>although I don't claim to have any textual evidence for this. What was
>surprising about this was that those speaking all these languages were
>uneducated Galileans.

I don't have a Bible handy with me, but I believe Acts 1 mentions 120
people.  I always understood that all these people were present at
Pentecost as well, not just the 12 disciples.  But right, it was the fact
that they were Galilean Jews speaking all those different languages that
was surprising.

--
---\  Sharon Correll                                   \---------------
----\  University of Delaware                           \--------------

[Acts 2 does not give a number.  It says "all the believers".  When
the crowd is surprised, Peter stands up with the eleven other apostles
to preach, but it seems like there are more Christians involved.
--clh]

ssimmons@unix.cie.rpi.edu (Stephen Simmons) (07/05/90)

In article <Jun.27.01.12.06.1990.16742@athos.rutgers.edu> jkk@aiai.edinburgh.ac.uk (John Kingston) writes:

>I take the point that Acts lists people from 15 regions who heard the
>disciples speaking in their own language, and there were only 12
>disciples. I also agree that it is impossible to speak 2 languages at once.
>I imagine that some disciples spoke first in one language, then in another,
>although I don't claim to have any textual evidence for this. What was

Actually, Acts indicates that all who were in the upper room spoke in
tongues, and the number of them was 120.  So it would have been easy
for 15 different languages to have been spoken.  And they could have
been spoken at the same time, because people (I think) have tendency
to tune out other languages and hear only the one(s) that they
understand...  Sorry, no *proof* for this; I just hear foreign
languages as noise unless I concentrate.  Indeed, it is possible, from
my experience, for several people to speak in unknown tongues and
intermix English and as a result have a conversation going on in
English in the background while four different unknown languages are
being spoken in the foreground.

>  3/ I have heard a few stories of people in this century "speaking in
>tongues" and being understood by speakers of a foreign language. I can

See also Steve Lightle's Exodus II for several additional examples.
Furthermore, some Assemblies of Gods churches have speaking in
tongues/interpretation of tongues as mentioned in Scripture, and on at
least one occasion that my roommate attended, another person stood up
and testifed that the interpretation was correct, because that person
knew the language spoken.