[soc.religion.christian] Spouse of Christ

cathy@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Cathy Johnston) (07/16/90)

In article <Jul.13.05.04.02.1990.12084@athos.rutgers.edu> jhpb@granjon.garage.att.com writes:
>Consecrated virginity is universally viewed as a higher state of life
>than the married state in the early Church...
>
>Some orders of nuns wear wedding rings; they are spiritually spouses of
>Christ, desiring to do everything that He desires.

Joe's comment about the wedding rings is true, but a bit misleading --
since *all* Christians are called to an intimate relationship with Christ,
not just some orders of nuns.  This opinion that God demands of us a
deeply intimate love is also at the core of why Catholics consider marriage
a Sacrament-with-a-capital-S -- intimacy between people is part of, and
reflection of, intimacy between people and god.

As for the part about "higher state of life" -- this is, indeed, a strong
view in the whole history of the Church, not just the early Church.  But
other opinions have also sometimes prevailed -- Marriage is one of the
seven Sacraments, but Profession of Religious Vows is not.

At least as a "bride of Christ" I don't have to worry about china patterns!
;-)

cathy :-)
--
Cathy Johnston                  #  Like a dry and weary desert land,
cathy@gargoyle.uchicago.edu     #  so my soul is thirsting for my God.