[soc.religion.christian] Natural Man

jeff@slovax.wa.com (jeff) (07/13/90)

All of us suffer from an affliction known as 'the natural man'.
The Bible teaches us that the 'natural man' is condemned by God.
God, however, saw fit to provide Christ Jesus as our salvation
from our 'natural' condition. This salvation is not 'in' our
condition, but 'from' our condition. A thief is not offered
salvation so that he can continue stealing. An adulterer is not
offered salvation so that he can continue in adultery. The same
goes for every 'natural condition' of man.

Jesus taught that we cannot follow Him until we have shed the
burdens of our natural lives. We 'naturally' tend toward the very
characteristics for which God condemned us in the first place.
Christ Jesus calls us OUT of this tendancy, to be His disciples.

** THE NEXT 3 PARAGRAPHS ARE SOMEWHAT SARCASTIC - I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE **

Pardon my ignorance, but where was I when they threw out the
old testament? You remember, don't you? That wonderful history of
how God admonished and nurtured His chosen poeple.

I've read a lot of responses talking about the 'opinions' of Paul.
Since when do we get to pick and choose what's inspired word of
God and what's merely opinion? Appearantly, we can choose when it
best suits us. I suppose I'll choose to ignore the 'opinions' regarding
the loving respect of my wife and family. You know, of course,
that I was born with a natural tendancy to dominate and beat women
and children. Or maybe I should protest the adultery 'opinions',
cause there's just something about me - It just seems natural for
me to chase the ladies.

From the very beginning, we've had God telling His poeple what
He likes and what He detests. I guess all that 'stuff' He told them
about holiness and righteousness just doesn't apply anymore. Sad.
I must seem pretty naive, what with believing that murder and
stealing and lying and adultery and homosexuality and the like are
still sins. I mean really - just because God said it was wrong, how
can I possibly think it's still wrong? After all, that was a long
time ago!

*****************
** END SARCASM **
*****************

My point is, Paul is not the only 'opinionated' person in the Bible.
God has a few opinions of His own! And most of them will be found in
the history of the original covenant. For a start, try Genesis, Exodus,
Leviticus, Numbers and Dueteronomy. Good old likes and dislikes of God.
Hard to argue against phrases such as "...these things are destestable
to the Lord."

jeff

--
[  jeff@SLOVAX.WA.COM  --  Jeffry H. Loucks, RDA, Inc.     (206)967-8018  ]
[   -or-  1304 34th St Ct NW, Gig Harbor, WA, USA  98335   (206)851-8908  ]

[I'm tempted to call the comments about picking and choosing opinions
a "cheap shot".  It's cheap because it suggests that people are making
their choices based on ulterior motives, which is a judgement that you
aren't in a position to make.  There are a number of Christians that
believe Paul's judgements were guided by his understanding of the
society, and might be different in a different society.  Adopting this
position certainly opens up the *opportunity* for ulterior motives,
because it means that people are going to have to use judgement in
deciding how to apply what Paul says to our situation.  But people who
operate in this way do attempt to exercise some controls.  Using
judgement is always "dangerous".  No doubt people do succumb to this
danger at times.  But the only way to know whether this has happened
in an individual case is to look at the analysis.  To dismiss
arguments without examining them, and simply assert that the person is
picking things as he likes is making an accusation about someone's
motives that seems a violation of Christian charity.  They could just
as well respond that you are refusing to consider the context of
Paul's judgements because you are a bigoted person who wants to avoid
having to reconsider your prejudices.  The point is that you can
attribute unworthy motives to any position.  It never settles
anything.  Let's instead adopt a charitable interpretation of what our
Christian brothers and sisters are doing, and simply say that we think
they have made a mistake.  --clh]

stq@cbnewsi.att.com (Scott T Questad) (07/18/90)

In article <Jul.13.05.00.25.1990.11921@athos.rutgers.edu>, jeff@slovax.wa.com (jeff) writes:

>> I've read a lot of responses talking about the 'opinions' of Paul.
>> Since when do we get to pick and choose what's inspired word of
>> God and what's merely opinion? Appearantly, we can choose when it

clh responds:

> [I'm tempted to call the comments about picking and choosing opinions
> a "cheap shot".  It's cheap because it suggests that people are making
> their choices based on ulterior motives, which is a judgement that you
> aren't in a position to make.  There are a number of Christians that
> believe Paul's judgements were guided by his understanding of the
> society, and might be different in a different society.

Remember that Pauls writings were predominantly guided by the Holy Spirit who,
as a member of the Trinity does not change.  "Times" change, people change,
but that is in NO WAY support for an opinion that Paul's writings are out of
date - if God condemned a certain behavior in the OT, be sure that he's not
thrilled with that behavior today.

> The point is that you can
> attribute unworthy motives to any position.  It never settles
> anything.  Let's instead adopt a charitable interpretation of what our
> Christian brothers and sisters are doing, and simply say that we think
> they have made a mistake.  --clh]

Living charitably with Christian brothers and sisters is paramount.  However,
part of being a Christain brother or sister is to "speak the truth in love."
If a Christian sincerely, [not hastily], prayerfully believe a bro/sis to be
in sin, I believe that it is a responsibility of the Christian to tell that
person.

Scott Q

[Indeed.  As I said, I have no objection (as moderator -- this doesn't
mean I agree with it) to your concluding that homosexual actions are
sinful, or to telling people who do it that you believe they are doing
something wrong.  My problem is with dismissing arguments with
comments of the form "you just believe that because you want to be
able to continue sinning".

First, there are people who believe that homosexuality is acceptable
but are not themselves homosexuals.

Second, you have no way of knowing what their motivations actually
are.  There can be unworthy motivations for anything.  As I said,
people may just as well refuse to listen to arguments for accepting
homosexuals because they are homophobes and don't want their prejudice
challenged.

Third, even if there were complete correlation between those who
accepted arguments for homosexuality and those who practice homosexual
behavior, you still couldn't infer that their arguments were formed ad
hoc to justify their actions.  It could just as well be that their
actions follow from their understanding of Scripture.

Since I believe in Original Sin, I accept that people may often come
up with arguments to justify themselves.  But in a group like this, it
is not conducive to useful discussion to hypothesize about others'
motivations.  In one on one counselling, things may be very different.
There you may indeed want people to help explore their motivations.
But here, I suggest that you should concentrate on what people are
saying, not on their motivates for doing so.

Note that I am not saying you need to consider homosexual behavior
acceptable, or that you need to refrain from criticizing it.  All I am
asking you to do is to listen to the arguments for it, and to oppose
them with arguments of your own, and not with ad hominem attack.

--clh]