[net.lan] replacement for deuna?

george@cornell.UUCP (George R. Boyce) (12/18/85)

Do any of the ultrix networking protocols (tcp/ip, decnet, lat etc.) work
with any of the unibus to ethernet cards *other* than digital's deuna?
I assume tcp/ip would in all cases once the right device driver, hopefully
supplied by the vendor, was installed. I also assume that decnet would
not work and am unsure about lat. Can anyone answer this question with
regard to the products of 3Com, Interlan, Excelan etc? Thanks.

I'm looking for a controller which draws less than the deuna's 15 amps
at +5V. I've heard that there is a new deuna which will use something like
8 amps (but the Excelan card only draws 5.5 amps). But it was still just
a rumor at DECUS.

George Boyce, Cornell Computer Services, george@cornell

dougm@ICO.UUCP (12/20/85)

/* Written  8:29 pm  Dec 17, 1985 by george@cornell in ICO:net.lan */
/* ---------- "replacement for deuna?" ---------- */
 >Do any of the ultrix networking protocols (tcp/ip, decnet, lat etc.) work
 >with any of the unibus to ethernet cards *other* than digital's deuna?
 >I assume tcp/ip would in all cases once the right device driver, hopefully
TCP/IP definitely works under Ultrix on a non-DEC controller.  We are using
an Interlan controller (not the NP100, the older one) with no problems.
I don't know about DECNET, but I haven't seen any indication that it won't
work on a device other than a DEUNA.  I'll look through my documentation
again tomorrow when I get to the office to see if there is any indication
of no DECNET without a DEUNA.

 >supplied by the vendor, was installed. I also assume that decnet would
 >not work and am unsure about lat. Can anyone answer this question with
 >regard to the products of 3Com, Interlan, Excelan etc? Thanks.
Interlan works and drivers are present for several other vendors.
Ultrix has all the 4.2BSD ethernet drivers which can be found in
/usr/sys/vaxif if you have Ulrix up.  They are also documented in section 4
of the Ultrix Programmers manual.

				Doug McCallum
				Interactive Systems Corp.
				{ima, cbosgd, hao}!ico!dougm

bob@islenet.UUCP (Bob Cunningham) (12/20/85)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Digital announce the DELUA at DECUS
which effectively obsoletes the DEUNA?
--
Bob Cunningham  {dual|vortex|ihnp4}!islenet!bob
Hawaii Institute of Geophysics, University of Hawaii

george@cornell.UUCP (George R. Boyce) (12/26/85)

In article <1957@islenet.UUCP> bob@islenet.UUCP (Bob Cunningham) writes:
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Digital announce the DELUA at DECUS
>which effectively obsoletes the DEUNA?
>--
>Bob Cunningham  {dual|vortex|ihnp4}!islenet!bob
>Hawaii Institute of Geophysics, University of Hawaii

I didn't see any announcement, but then I wasn't looking. I did however
check with the networks booth where they had all the new fancy stuff on
display and did not see a delua AND I was told there by a Digital representative
that the delua had not been announced. But I've since received a message
from the group which developed the delua which said it is an announced
product. I'ld check in with the local dec office and ask them to confirm
it, if I were you. At 8 amps, I still can't fit it into my 750s.

George Boyce, Cornell Computer Services, george@cornell

anil@alpha.DEC (Anil Rijh) (01/15/86)

> I'm looking for a controller which draws less than the deuna's 15 amps
> at +5V. I've heard that there is a new deuna which will use something like
> 8 amps ...
>
> George Boyce, Cornell Computer Services, george@cornell

	Very recently, DEC announced the DELUA, a second-generation
	DEUNA.  Briefly, some of the advantages over the DEUNA are:
	It is a *single* hex module, draws half as much power, has
	higher throughput.  Orders can be booked now for delivery
	starting in the March/86 time frame.  For further details,
	please contact your Digital sales rep.

	Anil Rijh/DEC