[soc.religion.christian] RSV copyright

sacg1198@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott A Cattanach) (07/20/90)

Does anyone out there know about copyright law?  Namely, I heard that
the RSV was written at the turn of the century and the copyright could
expire.  Anyone know?  Can we put a non-KJV out on the net (finally :-)?

--
 -catt (live: sacg1198@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu/dead: cattanac@cs.uiuc.edu)
       (or for you freenet buffs: ak601@cleveland.freenet.edu)

[I don't know the answer, but I think RSV may be a special case.  I
recall vaguely Congress passing a special law to extend the copyright
beyond its normal term.  --clh]

muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers /100000) (07/24/90)

sacg1198@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott A Cattanach) writes:

>Does anyone out there know about copyright law?  Namely, I heard that
>the RSV was written at the turn of the century and the copyright could
>expire.  Anyone know?  Can we put a non-KJV out on the net (finally :-)?

I am really astonished to see that copyright is the reason that no RSV
was on the net. How strange that there is a copyright on the English
bible translations.
It would be reasonable that there were rules with publishing scripture,
so that the meaning of the text will not be changed, but after all,
God's word is not to make money of it, but to be spread as much as possible,
isn't it?

--
Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl
Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht                         nmutsaer@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (07/25/90)

In article <Jul.20.02.32.19.1990.17209@athos.rutgers.edu>, sacg1198@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott A Cattanach) writes...
>Does anyone out there know about copyright law?  Namely, I heard that
>the RSV was written at the turn of the century and the copyright could
>expire.  Anyone know?  Can we put a non-KJV out on the net (finally :-)?

Chris adds:
>[I don't know the answer, but I think RSV may be a special case.  I
>recall vaguely Congress passing a special law to extend the copyright
>beyond its normal term.  --clh]

I don't know about special cases, but here's a brief summary of
copyright law durations for works created before 1978 (the
copyright laws changed after 1978 and there are all sorts of
conditions that can affect the protection period for a work
created since then).

A work would get copyright protection for 28 years, renewable for
an additional 28 years. Works whose copyright did not expire
prior to 1978 were eligible for a second renewal of 19 years.
Thus, in general, anything published prior to 1922 will be public
domain (barring a special law). Writing to the registrar of
copyrights in Washington DC (I don't have an address handy) can
reveal the status of any registered work (any thing published
prior to 1962 and not registered is automatically public domain).

-dh

---
Don Hosek                         TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont Consulting and
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu         production work. Free Estimates.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet
uunet!jarthur!ymir                Phone: 714-625-0147

carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) (07/30/90)

In article <Jul.24.15.01.09.1990.27292@athos.rutgers.edu> dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) writes:
>In article <Jul.20.02.32.19.1990.17209@athos.rutgers.edu>, sacg1198@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott A Cattanach) writes...
>>Does anyone out there know about copyright law?  Namely, I heard that
>>the RSV was written at the turn of the century and the copyright could
>>expire.  Anyone know?  Can we put a non-KJV out on the net (finally :-)?

	The RSV was written (and copyrighted) in the 1950s. It is a
revision of the American Standard Version, which was done in the time
frame you're thinking of.

(stuff deleted)

>Thus, in general, anything published prior to 1922 will be public
>domain (barring a special law). Writing to the registrar of
>copyrights in Washington DC (I don't have an address handy) can
>reveal the status of any registered work (any thing published
>prior to 1962 and not registered is automatically public domain).

The RSV was published and copyrighted by the National Council of
Churches in the 1950s (different years for the Old and New Testaments).
The copyright is clearly still in force.

	Jeff Carroll
	carroll@atc.boeing.com