[soc.religion.christian] Benjamin Britten's pagan? carol

st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) (07/05/90)

In Benjamin Britten's "A Ceremony of Carols," he sets to 20th century
music ten or so carols which I understand to date from English antiquity.
One of them is the carol "Deo Gracias" which despite its Latin title
is in English.  In referring to the fall of Adam, (I don't remember the
words exactly, this is a paraphrase)

.... if the appil had not taken been
then would not Our Lady 'a been hevene Queen
Blessed be the day the appil taken was....

Do Catholics really believe this?  Or does anyone else?  I know the idea
that the fall was a good idea appears in Mormon literature, but this is
the only reference to the benefits of the fall I've seen elsewhere.
[I suppose if you believe that the Virgin is heaven's Queen, then it's
true enough.  But do you really praise God for sin?]

Steve

[There was a debate in later Calvinism over the question of whether
God willed the fall.  The two views are called infralapsarianism and
supralapsarianism.  I find that in the whole area of God's "eternal
decree" there are no easy answers, and I can only advance tentative
conclusions.  But my own view is that we have to imagine that God
intended what actually happened.  The infralapsarian view is that
while this may be true, we don't want to say that he positively wanted
people to sin.  However God did at least wanted something that implied
that in fact they would sin.  E.g. he wanted children who had chosen
him responsibly, and there was no way to get this without eventually
having them sin.  The best support of the supralapsarian view is in
Romans.  We can read Paul as taking the more radical position that God
intended to save people through sin.  Much of Romans is dealing with
the problem of how the Jews could have rejected Christ.  First Paul
suggests that it was to provide an opportunity for the message to
spread to the Gentiles.  Then in Rom 11 he says that their rejection
is only temporary: eventually all of Israel will be saved.  Finally,
he explains that this is only a special example of God's general way
of proceeding: "The Jews now disobey God, in order that they also may
now receive God's mercy.  For God has made all people prisoners of
disobedience, so that he might show mercy to them all." (Rom 11:31-32)
This suggests that rather than making people who are intrisically
perfect, he chooses to start with people who are intrinsically not
capable of righteousness on their own, so that all of their
righteousness can come from his grace.  This seems very close to what
Deo Gratias is saying.  However it is a very controversial vision of
God's will.

From what I know of the Catholic approach to these issues, this view
is far more Protestant than Catholic.

--clh]

billmc@microsoft.UUCP (Bill MCJOHN) (07/08/90)

In article <Jul.5.04.15.29.1990.1187@athos.rutgers.edu>, st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) writes:

>     ".... if the appil had not taken been
>      then would not Our Lady 'a been hevene Queen
>      Blessed be the day the appil taken was...."
>
> Do Catholics really believe this?

Yes.  'O happy fault of Adam, that gained for the world so great
a Redeemer!'  Although the disobedience of Adam and Eve brought
sin and death into the world, it also led to the Incarnation of
Christ.  And therefore, we sing 'Deo gratias!'

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (07/10/90)

In article <Jul.8.00.27.23.1990.6053@athos.rutgers.edu> billmc@microsoft.UUCP (Bill MCJOHN) writes:

>Yes.  'O happy fault of Adam, that gained for the world so great
>a Redeemer!'  Although the disobedience of Adam and Eve brought
>sin and death into the world, it also led to the Incarnation of
>Christ.  And therefore, we sing 'Deo gratias!'

It is not an article of the Catholic Faith that Adam's sin was a
prerequisite to Jesus' Incarnation.  However, it may be piously
believed.

Chris

--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

jhpb@granjon.garage.att.com (07/13/90)

    It is not an article of the Catholic Faith that Adam's sin was a
    prerequisite to Jesus' Incarnation.  However, it may be piously
    believed.

    Chris

Indeed.  There is a school of Catholic theology that believes that the
Incarnation would have happened whether Adam fell or not.  They do not
see the main purpose of the Incarnation in the Redemption, but in the
reign of Christ over all creation, if I recall correctly.

Joe Buehler

cms@dragon.uucp (07/16/90)

In article <Jul.13.05.02.45.1990.12014@athos.rutgers.edu>, jhpb@granjon.garage.att.com writes:
>     It is not an article of the Catholic Faith that Adam's sin was a
>     prerequisite to Jesus' Incarnation.  However, it may be piously
>     believed.
>
>     Chris
>
> Indeed.  There is a school of Catholic theology that believes that the
> Incarnation would have happened whether Adam fell or not.  They do not
> see the main purpose of the Incarnation in the Redemption, but in the
> reign of Christ over all creation, if I recall correctly.
>
> Joe Buehler

 Does this mean that Christ would have become Incarnate but need not have died
on the Cross to redeem mankind for their sins?  that he would have ruled
without the Cross?  I suppose this begs the question:  Is sin an inevitable
aspect of intelligence?  Was it within Adam's nature to sin before the Fall?
Did God know this?  Ah, Thomas Aquinas is smarter than me, Summa Contra
Gentiles (Volume I:  God):  "....an effect can be preknown in its cause even
before it exists.  Thus, an astronomer preknows a future eclispe from a
consideration of the order of the heavenly motions.  But God knows all things
through a cause; for, by knowing Himself, Who is the cause of other things, He
knows other things as His effects, as was shown above.  Nothing, therefore,
prevents God from knowing even the things that are not."

--
                                   Sincerely,
Cindy Smith

Don't bother me now!  I'm looking up a Scripture passage to support one of my
preconceived notions.  -- Charles Schulz

st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) (07/24/90)

I made the original post relating a few lines from Benjamin Britten's
carol "Deo Gratias" from "The Ceremony of Carols"  I understand the
carols here for the most part are taken from ancient English and Latin
texts.  Part of the carol celebrates the fall of Adam.  Some people
have said that some Catholics do believe that we should praise God
for the fall because it lead to the glorification and incarnation of
Christ.  (This seems to parallel Mormon thinking that the fall was
a good thing, but I digress.)  But this was not the original point
of my question.

The carol says that if Adam had not taken the apple "Then had not
Our Lady a been Hevene queen."  It's not celebrating Jesus--it's
celebrating the exaltation of Mary.

Do Catholics really believe this was the reason the fall happened?
Do *you* sing "Deo Gratias" because sin came to exalt Mary?
Are there similar sources in Catholic thought which echo this sentiment.

Steve

mls@sfsup.att.com (Mike Siemon) (07/26/90)

In article <Jul.24.04.06.18.1990.17083@athos.rutgers.edu>,
st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) writes:

> The carol says that if Adam had not taken the apple "Then had not
> Our Lady a been Hevene queen."  It's not celebrating Jesus--it's
> celebrating the exaltation of Mary.

That seems a bit simple minded for a conclusion.  Catholics, like
good computer scientists, are comfortable with the notion of
indirection.  Consider the concluding petition of the Ave Maria.

	Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners
	now and in the hour of our death.

Who do you think Mary is praying too?  Who else but the one in
her most beautiful prayer:

	Magnificat anima mea...

Some soi-disant Protestant objections to Catholic ideas and
practices seem more in the nature of a broken '*' key on the
protestors' keyboards.  (Pascal users, substitute '^' for '*')

(I hope it is needless to toss in some friendly smileys here?)
--
Michael L. Siemon		We must know the truth, and we must
m.siemon@ATT.COM		love the truth we know, and we must

leesa@frith.egr.msu.edu (Anita Lees) (07/26/90)

I can only speak for myself as far as "what Catholics believe" about
the Fall from Grace in Eden, since many of us (not just Catholics!)
believe a lot of garbage that isn't sanctioned by church or Bible.

I believe, as the church teaches, that the Fall was the consequence of
the exercise of free will on the part of Adam and Eve.  God the Father,
in His mysterious wisdom, knew that humanity would fall from grace, and
that He would have to send His Son; but (at least so we believe) He did
not arrange for it to happen.

There is certainly an element of Catholics who emphasize Mary to the
point of idolatry, just as there people of other denominations who
elevate the Bible too high.  "Mariolatry" was very common during the
Middle Ages, when people felt unworthy of the mediation of Jesus.  The
catholic Church teaches that it is right to love and respect the woman
who nurtured and sustained Jesus' human life, and that along with the
saints, Mary can pray to God (Father, Son, and Spirit) for, and along
with, us.  The doctrines of immaculate conception and perpetual virginity
arose during the middle ages, although they were not formalized until
much later.

I don't want to take up any more resources on this topic (which may
have been dealt with in depth before -- if so, please excuse me), but
I wanted to correct the misimpression that all, or even most, Catholics
are Mary fanatics.  Please email me if you would like to discuss
theology in more depth (in a rational manner).

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Anita F. Lees				leesa@frith.egr.msu.edu

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

jhpb@granjon.garage.att.com (07/26/90)

    The carol says that if Adam had not taken the apple "Then had not
    Our Lady a been Hevene queen."  It's not celebrating Jesus--it's
    celebrating the exaltation of Mary.

    Do Catholics really believe this was the reason the fall happened?
    Do *you* sing "Deo Gratias" because sin came to exalt Mary?
    Are there similar sources in Catholic thought which echo this sentiment.

"The" reason that God permitted the Fall was His own glory.  That's the
primary motivation for everything He does.  Within the works that He did
to repair the Fall, there are many things to give thanks for.  The
Mother of God is one of them.

As I believe someone else quoted, the Catholic liturgy says:

	O happy fault!  That has merited so great a Redeemer!

God turns evil into good.  Viewing the Fall as an essentially negative
thing would seem to overlook this.

Joe Buehler

do515127@longs.lance.colostate.edu (07/26/90)

In article <Jul.24.04.06.18.1990.17083@athos.rutgers.edu> st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) writes:
>I made the original post relating a few lines from Benjamin Britten's
>carol "Deo Gratias" from "The Ceremony of Carols"  I understand the
>carols here for the most part are taken from ancient English and Latin
>The carol says that if Adam had not taken the apple "Then had not
>Our Lady a been Hevene queen."  It's not celebrating Jesus--it's
>celebrating the exaltation of Mary.
>
>Do *you* sing "Deo Gratias" because sin came to exalt Mary?
>Are there similar sources in Catholic thought which echo this sentiment.

Cardinal St. Alphonse di Liguori, in his book "The Glories of Mary",
which as the editor says, "Everything that our saint has written is, as
it were a Summary of a Catholic tradition on the subject that it treats:
it is not an individual author; it is, so to speak, the church herself
that speaks to us by the voice of her prophets, her apostles, her
pontiffs, her saints, her fathers, her doctors of all nations and all
ages."

And he writes, "And she is truly made a mediatress of peace between
sinners and God" "Sinners receive pardon by . . . Mary alone" (pg 82,83)
and "He falls is lost who has not recourse to Mary" (pg 94)
Versus, "I [Jesus] am the way the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the
Father, but by Me." (John 14:6)

As for the Queen of Heaven, "Many things . . . are asked from God, and
are not granted; they are asked from Mary, and are obtained" for "She .
. . is even Queen of Hell, and Sovereign Mistress of the Devils."  (pgs
137, 141, 143)
  Versus, "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we
may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need" (Hebrews 4:16)

"All power is given to Thee in Heaven and on earth" so that "at the
command of Mary all obey, even God . . . and thus . . . God has placed
the whole Church . . .under the dominion of Mary"  (pgs 180, 181)
  Whereas, "And Jesus came and spake unto them saying, all power is
  given unto me in heaven and in earth"  (Matt 28:18)  "That at the name
  of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in Heaven, and things in
  earth, and things under the earth" (Phil 2:10)

The contrast is frightening.

--
DAvid Olson       |  "I have come that they might have life, and have it to
INET: do515127@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu   | the full." -- Jesus, John 10:10b

[I'd like to make a request of Catholic respondents.  There is a
question that has come up in the past, and I already know pretty much
what the response is going to be.  However I'd like to add another
request.  The charge that is implicit in this posting is that Liguori
is replacing Christ as our sole redeemer with Mary.  The usual
response is to explain that Mary is not really replacing Christ:
Christ simply acts through her.  In addition to this explanation
(which should certainly be made in more detail by a Catholic -- I
don't claim to be able to do justice to the position), I'd like to
know whether our Catholic readers believe that this approach is
representative of the mainstream of Catholic views today.  It's one
thing to show that it can be interpreted so that it does not
technically violate the bounds of Christian doctrine, but that does
not necessarily mean it's a wise way to go.  --clh]

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (07/30/90)

In article <Jul.24.04.06.18.1990.17083@athos.rutgers.edu> st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) writes:
>Some people
>have said that some Catholics do believe that we should praise God
>for the fall because it lead to the glorification and incarnation of
>Christ.
>[...]
>The carol says that if Adam had not taken the apple "Then had not
>Our Lady a been Hevene queen."  It's not celebrating Jesus--it's
>celebrating the exaltation of Mary.

The notion that the Fall was *necessary* in order for Jesus to become
man is *not* part of the Deposit of the Catholic Faith.  The Catholic
Church has not made a conclusive statement as to whether the Fall was a
prerequisite to Christ's Incarnation.  However, the Fall, once having
occurred, certainly caused Christ's Incarnation to be necessary in order
for mankind to be saved.

Mary, of course, played an extraordinary role in the Incarnation.  She,
of all created beings, was given the grace to be Mother of the Redeemer.
Because of this special grace, resulting from the anticipated merits of
Christ's salvific work, she herself was concieved without the slightest
stain of sin, and was further given the grace to be the vehicle through
which God became man -- His flesh being generated from her flesh.  She
is truely "full of grace."

It has been often observed that man fell through the "yes" of a woman --
Eve -- to Satan.  And likewise, man was saved through the "yes" of a
woman -- Mary -- to God.  Mary had free will just like the rest of us.
And in no conceivable way could it have been considered a *sin* for Mary
to have chosen not to take on the obligation (a fairly heafty one at
that) that the Archangle Michael was extending to her.  She could have
quite easily chosen a different way of serving God.  But she said "yes"
to God's offer: "be it done unto me according to Thy word."  And because
of her free-will choice, Salvation came to man.

So we have much -- everything! -- for which to be thankful to Mary: even
the fact of our very salvation.

>Do Catholics really believe this was the reason the fall happened?
>Do *you* sing "Deo Gratias" because sin came to exalt Mary?

Now, if you are wondering if the Fall happened in order to glorify
Mary???   Catholics believe no such thing.  What an inconceivable idea.
No, by no stretch of the imagination could one say that Catholics
believe that the Fall happened in order to glorify Mary.  Such an idea
is the furthest thing from the Catholic faith.  Even though we have much
to Mary to be greatful for, under no circumstances would Catholics say
that the Fall occurred in order to glorify a created being -- Mary.

If through Mary God is glorified, then praise God!!  But Mary's
glorification as an end in itself is a most revolting idea.

>Steve

chris

--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /
Then, the disclaimer:  All expressed opinions are, indeed, opinions. \  / o
Now for the witty part:    I'm pink, therefore, I'm spam!             \/

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (07/30/90)

>[I'd like to make a request of Catholic respondents.  There is a
>question that has come up in the past, and I already know pretty much
>what the response is going to be.  However I'd like to add another
>request.  The charge that is implicit in this posting is that Liguori
>is replacing Christ as our sole redeemer with Mary.  The usual
>response is to explain that Mary is not really replacing Christ:
>Christ simply acts through her.  In addition to this explanation
>(which should certainly be made in more detail by a Catholic -- I
>don't claim to be able to do justice to the position), I'd like to
>know whether our Catholic readers believe that this approach is
>representative of the mainstream of Catholic views today.  It's one
>thing to show that it can be interpreted so that it does not
>technically violate the bounds of Christian doctrine, but that does
>not necessarily mean it's a wise way to go.  --clh]

Mary is a *creature*.  A creature, a creature, a CREATURE!!!  OK????

(This is not directed at you, clh, but everyone in netland.)

She is *not* God, nor is she in the least bit comparible with God.  She
is a creature and servant of God, a humble handmaid, to use her words.

However, as a * C R E A T U R E *, she is above all other
* C R E A T U R E S *.  She is "full of grace."  This means that she is
really F-U-L-L--O-F--G-R-A-C-E!!  Full of grace means free of sin...she
is so full of grace to the brim that there is no room even for the
slightest sinful tendency.  But she is a creature, and she has her own
free will.

It would be correct to say that "Christ acts through Mary" to the extent
that Christ acts through any of his creatures.  But she has her own
sinless free will, which is not *identicle* with Gods will.

Now, I would like everyone to try a little experiment.  Please ask God
for a cup of sugar, right now as you are reading this.  All of you who
now have a cup of sugar in your hands, please e-mail me immediately!!

Now, go to your next-door-neighbor and ask them for a cup of sugar.  I
bet that a lot more of you have a cup of sugar now.

Does this mean that your next-door-neighbor is somehow more powerful
that God Himself?  If you would like to conclude that, go right ahead.
But the Catholic Church dies not teach that -- about your
next-door-neighbor, or about Mary.

Mary is a creature.  As a creature, she is the most perfect creature
created by God.  She had the singluar vocation of all time and in all
the universe of being the vehicle through which God Himself chose to
Incarnate Himself for the redemtion of the world.  She is specially
favored of God.  She is the Mother of our Redeemer.  No other creature
deserves more "creaturely" reverence than she does.  As a creature she
is full of wisdom and power -- moreso thatn any other * C R E A T U R E
*.

If we can ask our next-door-neighbor for a favor and get it, don't you
think we can ask Mary for a favor -- and get it?  Does this mean that
she is somehow more powerful than God?  Of course not.  It simply means
that God sometimes choses to bestow His grace upon us through our fellow
creatures!  And Mary is the friend of all creatures.

chris

--

cms@dragon.uucp (07/30/90)

In article <Jul.24.04.06.18.1990.17083@athos.rutgers.edu>, st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) writes:
> I made the original post relating a few lines from Benjamin Britten's
> carol "Deo Gratias" from "The Ceremony of Carols"  I understand the
> carols here for the most part are taken from ancient English and Latin
> texts.  Part of the carol celebrates the fall of Adam.  Some people
> have said that some Catholics do believe that we should praise God
> for the fall because it lead to the glorification and incarnation of
> Christ.  (This seems to parallel Mormon thinking that the fall was
> a good thing, but I digress.)  But this was not the original point
> of my question.

 "Moreover, in Genesis 22 [:18], His promise to Abraham was, In thy seed shall
all the nations of the earth be blessed.  Christ is the seed of Abraham
according to St. Paul in Galatians 3 [:16], and has given a blessing to all the
world through the gospel; for where Christ is not found, there remains the
curse which was pronounced on Adam and his descendants, after his sin.  The
effect of this curse was that they too were guilty of sin, and that death and
hell would be their lot.  But, contrary to the curse, the gospel brought a
blessing to all the world when it proclaimed, for all to hear, that whoever
believed on the seed of Abraham should be blessed, i.e., delivered from sin,
death, and hell.  Thus made righteous, he would live in eternal bliss.  This is
what Christ Himself said in John 11 [:26], He who believes on me shall never
die."
                                                  Martin Luther
                                                  Preface to the New Testament

 The first step in becoming Christian is to admit, "I am a sinner."  For all
its theological underpinnings, original sin means no more than this.

 C. S. Lewis (an Anglican), in Perelandra, had this to say after it had been
determined that Original Sin did *not* occur on Perelandra (Venus, for what
it's worth):  "Today for the first time two creatures of the low worlds, two
images of Maleldil [Jesus] that breathe and breed like the beasts, step up
that step at which your parents fell, and sit in the throne of what they were
meant to be.  It was never seen before.  Because it did not happen in your
world [Earth] a greater thing happened, but not this.  Because the greater
thing happened in Thulcandra, this and not the greater thing happens here."

 Later in the same work:  The King, the Man of this world who did not commit
Original Sin, says:  "All this, all that happened in your world, Maleldil
[Jesus] has put into our mind.  We have learned of evil, though not as the Evil
One wished us to learn.  We have learned better than that, and know it more,
for it is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understand waking.
There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young; there is a darker
ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the knowledge of
sleep.  You are more ignorant of evil in Thulcandra [EArth] now than in the
days before your Lord and Lady [Adam and Eve] began to do it.  But Maleldil
[Jesus] has brought us out of the one ignorance, and we have not entered the
other.  It was by the Evil One himself that he brought us out of the first.
Little did that dark mind know the errand on which he really came to
Perelandra!"

 It's interesting that in this novel the Forbidden Thing, once rejected by the
Adam and Eve of this world, subsequently becomes no longer forbidden.  Last
quotation, from the Song of the Great Dance:

 "All of which is not itself the Great Dance was made in order that He
[Maleldil/Jesus] might come down into it.  In the Fallen World [Earth] He
prepared for Himself a body and was united with the Dust and made it glorious
for ever.  This is the end and final cause of all creating, and the sin whereby
it came is called Fortunate and the world where this was enacted is the centre
of worlds.  Blessed be He!"

 The idea of Original Sin being fortunate since it caused the Incarnation to
have to occur is certainly not an exclusively Roman Catholic notion.  It is
rather like calling the wounds or training scars one receives from a teacher
fortunate since they taught you to be a better fighter.  Perhaps not an exact
match.  Try this:  The sin I committed when I cheated at cards is fortunate
since it caused me to realize how wrong it is to cheat.  Not an exact match
either since Adam and Eve's sin isn't called fortunate simply because it caused
them to realize what a dreadful thing sin was.  Or am I getting warmer?  God
knew it was within human being's nature to sin yet could not prevent their sin
by force but only by persuasion (not so modern a concept, eh?); such is the
nature of free will.  God could tell us the right (obedience) but only we could
choose; God could not choose for us.  Thus, Original Sin is fortunate in that
it was the first step in showing us how wrong it is to sin.  Original Sin is
especially fortunate since it was the root of sin that was lifted up by our
Redemption.  In this respect we are affected by Original Sin in the same way
that "no man is an island" and "I am a member of the human race, no person or
place is foreign to me" and "therefore, do not ask for whom the bell tolls, it
tolls for thee."

> The carol says that if Adam had not taken the apple "Then had not
> Our Lady a been Hevene queen."  It's not celebrating Jesus--it's
> celebrating the exaltation of Mary.
>
> Do Catholics really believe this was the reason the fall happened?
> Do *you* sing "Deo Gratias" because sin came to exalt Mary?
> Are there similar sources in Catholic thought which echo this sentiment.

 Mary is exalted because of her acceptance of the word of God resulting in
the birth of the Messiah.  If Adam had not taken the apple then Mary would not
have been exalted as Queen of Heaven since Jesus wouldn't have been there to
crown her since He wouldn't have risen from the dead and ascended into heaven.
Mary's position as Queen of Heaven (as I've often pointed out) is a reference
to her subordinate position as first of all the saints; now *that's* a quote
from the Catholic Catechism.  Try reading it this way:  If Adam had not taken
the apple then none of the saints of God would have received the crown of life
(Letter of James).  The Fifth Glorious Mystery is often cited:  "The Coronation
of Mary as Queen of Heaven and the Coronation of All the Saints."  Since the
Rosary honors Mary, we tend to focus on her Coronation.  I gather this reflects
the belief that death would not have entered into the world were it not for
Original Sin therefore we would have lived forever perhaps never seeing the
"beautific vision" of heaven including oneness with God.  Based on Lewis, we
would have learned of evil eventually, but the oneness would not have occurred
until the Great Dance (the end of time).

--
Sincerely,
Cindy Smith

norcio@afn.ifsm.umbc.edu (A. F. Norcio) (08/06/90)

In her recent response to this topic, Cindy Smith
refers to the "Catholic Catechism".  It is necessary
to point out that there is no such document as the
"Catholic Catechism".  There are a number of catechisms
that are used by various Catholic schools and parishes.
One of the more famous ones, which is now dated and
almost never used, is the Baltimore Catechism.
But there is no such thing as the "Catholic Catechism"
authorized, promulgated, or sanctioned by the Catholic Church.

An official Catholic Church catechism is now being
developed by a Papal Commission with the assistance of
bishops and theologians from around the world.  This
catechism now exists only in draft form and by no means
is complete.  It is the intention of Rome that this document
will be the official catechism of the Catholic Church
if and when it is completed and is accpted by the bishops.

It may be useful to point put that when any document
such as the many catechisms that are used, has an
Imprimatur seal signed by a bishop it does not mean that
the document presents the official position of the
Catholic Church.  And it does not mean or imply
that the bishop agrees with, supports, or endorses
the positions in the document.  The imprimatur means
only that the document is free of doctrinal or moral
error.

cms@dragon.uucp (08/08/90)

In article <Aug.5.22.01.44.1990.18694@athos.rutgers.edu>, norcio@afn.ifsm.umbc.edu (A. F. Norcio) writes:
> In her recent response to this topic, Cindy Smith
> refers to the "Catholic Catechism".  It is necessary
> to point out that there is no such document as the
> "Catholic Catechism".  There are a number of catechisms
> that are used by various Catholic schools and parishes.
> One of the more famous ones, which is now dated and
> almost never used, is the Baltimore Catechism.
> But there is no such thing as the "Catholic Catechism"
> authorized, promulgated, or sanctioned by the Catholic Church.

 Absolutely correct!  I should have been more specific.  I have a dozen or more
Catholic Cathecisms, some booklets, some whole books; I collect them for sport
:-).  Everyone should have a hobby.  I also collect Rosaries; although there
is no official Rosary of the Catholic Church, and the Dominican is considered
standard, I've collected over 45 different versions, and I have about 20
different actual Rosary beads.  The Rosary of Saint Jude is one of my
favorites.

> An official Catholic Church catechism is now being
> developed by a Papal Commission with the assistance of
> bishops and theologians from around the world.  This
> catechism now exists only in draft form and by no means
> is complete.  It is the intention of Rome that this document
> will be the official catechism of the Catholic Church
> if and when it is completed and is accpted by the bishops.

 I've heard hell's own noise about the contents, too.  Has anyone else heard
more about the controversy surrounding the official position of the Church on
various controversial issues?

--

                                   Sincerely,
Cindy Smith