[soc.religion.christian] FTP address and access info for on-line Bible

jp@harvard.harvard.edu (08/08/90)

As the Subject Line states it well, I would like information on the
FTP address and directory of where I can get the a copy of the Bible
on-line.  I tried utank.chicago.edu, but the file was not where it
was reported to be.  Any help would be appreciated.

johnw@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Warren) (08/12/90)

In article <Aug.8.03.50.41.1990.13084@athos.rutgers.edu> frog!jp@harvard.harvard.edu writes:
>As the Subject Line states it well, I would like information on the
>FTP address and directory of where I can get the a copy of the Bible
>on-line.  I tried utank.chicago.edu, but the file was not where it
>was reported to be.  Any help would be appreciated.

Me too.  I didn't try utank.chicago.edu, however.

[I have been informed that the copy on utank (indeed I believe utank
itself) is no longer available.  I've removed it from the list.  As
far as I know, the simtel-20 copy is still there.  You'll find a
posting later giving a location in Finland and asking for a volunteer
site to make it available in the U.S. (among other things).  --clh]

agjeung@volcano.berkeley.edu (Andrew Jeung) (08/12/90)

In article <Aug.8.03.50.41.1990.13084@athos.rutgers.edu> frog!jp@harvard.harvard.edu writes:
>As the Subject Line states it well, I would like information on the
>FTP address and directory of where I can get the a copy of the Bible
>on-line.  I tried utank.chicago.edu, but the file was not where it
>was reported to be.  Any help would be appreciated.

A King James version of the Bible is available by anonymous ftp from
volcano.Berkeley.EDU.  The directory is /pub/Library/Bible.  The format
is not the best -- each of the books is put in a separate file, and the
chapter and verse numbers are prominently displayed at the beginning of
each line.  It makes for easy referencing, but it's hard to read straight
through as a text.

Hope this helps,
- Andrew Jeung

Disclaimer: My opinions and UCB's opinions do not necessarily form
   an intersecting set.

[From your description, this looks like the same thing as the
Simtel20 copy.  I've added it to my list.  Thanks.  --clh]

jp@harvard.harvard.edu (08/12/90)

As a follow up to this, I have been informed that this file is
available in Finland, and is 1,663,398 bytes.  To this extent I
am looking for 1) A US server that might be willing to cut the
file in two or more; 2) A server that might be willing to put
the file on 1/2 inch tape; 3) An individual that would be willing
to chop the file into 20 parts and email it to me over a course
of a reasonable time period to be determined later.

If anyone is interested the file is in Finland at:

You can find it in funic.funet.fi (128.214.6.100) in directory
~ftp/pub/doc. Filename in bible.tar.Z.

John Pimentel  ...!{decvax!mit-eddie!harvard}!frog!jp
Disclaimer:     The opinion presented, is just that;
I take full responsiblity for those parts I've entered.