[soc.religion.christian] Wanted: Non-Fundamentalist Christian sect

irilyth@cs.swarthmore.edu (Josh Smith) (07/24/90)

   I've been looking at Christianity for a while now, and have begun to see
some of its appeal; however, I simply cannot accept the idea that the Bible is
100% true as an a priori assertion (i.e. the Bible is accurate simply based on
the fact that it is the Bible, not based on any analysis of what it actually
says). Can anyone point me towards any Christian sects that explicitly do NOT
support Biblical infallibility? I suspect that there may not be any, but if
there are, I'd be interested in checking them out. Thanks for your time...

|  Reality: Josh Smith			  |	Josh Smith '92		      |
| Internet: irilyth@cs.swarthmore.edu	  |	Swarthmore College	      |
|   BITNet: JBS92@SWARTHMR.BITNET	  |	500 College Ave.	      |
| #include <witty.quote>		  |	Swarthmore, PA  19081-1397    |

[Most of the "mainline" denominations accept Biblical criticism, which
means they reject Biblical inerrancy.  This includes the United
Methodists, Presbyterian Church (USA), United Church of Christ, etc.
The American Baptists, Episcopaleans, one of the Lutheran groups
(ELC?), and others also tend to be relatively "liberal", but I don't
know their official positions on this subject.  Of course being at
Swarthmore you surely have run into the Quakers.  They do not accept
inerrancy.  This issue complicated because there are often differences
between leaders and the people in the pews.  It's pretty common for
seminaries to teach views of the Bible that reject inerrancy, and for
pastors and other leaders to accept them, while the average church
member in the denomination believes in inerrancy or something very
close.  There were a number of big battles earlier in the Century that
resulted in denominations splitting.  However the fact that "liberals"
were left in control of the seminaries didn't mean that all the people
who believe in inerrancy left.  Once the battles over institutional
control were over, the issue sort of vanished under the carpet.  To
bring the people and their leaders into agreement would involve a
massive educational campaign.  Which direction the education would go
is of course an open question.  It may be that if leaders were more
open about their beliefs, there would be a revolt in the pews.  This
may be one reason the battle was never fought to a conclusion.  But
certainly in my church (Presbyterian (USA)), Sunday school material
and other official publications are based on scholarship that rejects
inerrancy.  One reasonable test is whether a denomination ordains
women.  Strict believers in inerrancy generally do not accept that.
In principle one could accept inerrancy, but still come up with
arguments for ordination of women, based on differences in the social
environment now and in the 1st Cent.  But I don't know anyone who
believes in inerrancy and accepts such arguments.  So in practice
ordination of women is a fairly good quick test.  (However this test
has one drastic failure.  The largest group that does not accept
inerrancy is the Catholic Church.  They do not ordain women.)

--clh]

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (08/06/90)

In article <Jul.24.04.42.12.1990.17387@athos.rutgers.edu>, irilyth@cs.swarthmore.edu (Josh Smith) writes...

> Can anyone point me towards any Christian sects that explicitly do NOT
>support Biblical infallibility? I suspect that there may not be any, but if
>there are, I'd be interested in checking them out. Thanks for your time...

Charles Hedrick adds:
>The largest group that does not accept
>inerrancy is the Catholic Church.

Just as a side note on this, it should be pointed out that
Catholics do believe in an infallible Bible, but not in the same
sense as fundamentalists; for Catholics, infallibility (in any
application, whether it applies to the Bible, the Pope, or a
council of Bishops) means that an incorrect doctrine cannot be
taught. Thus, the Bible contains nothing that is doctrinally
incorrect although some passages have meanings which may be taken
to be strictly allegorical (e.g., Genesis 1-10; in this
particular case, incidentally, no doctrine has been defined on
whether that passage is to be taken literally or not, so
Catholics are free to believe what they will on this).

-dh

---
Don Hosek                         TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont Consulting and
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu         production work. Free Estimates.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet
uunet!jarthur!ymir                Phone: 714-625-0147

jow@pacbell.com (Jeff Westman) (08/06/90)

In article <Jul.24.04.42.12.1990.17387@athos.rutgers.edu> irilyth@cs.swarthmore.edu (Josh Smith) writes:

>   I've been looking at Christianity for a while now, and have begun to see
>some of its appeal; however, I simply cannot accept the idea that the Bible is
>100% true as an a priori assertion (i.e. the Bible is accurate simply based on
>the fact that it is the Bible, not based on any analysis of what it actually
>says).

Josh,

If someone told me the same thing, that the Bible is acuurate simply because
it is the Bible, I would respond, "so what?".  However, there  is a book that
I would challenge you to read.  It's called 'Evidence That Demands a Verdict',
written by Josh McDowell, a former critique of Christianity.  In it, he argues
from a historical context as well as from  a cronological point-of-view for
Christianity.  I've read it, and it simply "re-inforces" my belief in a living
God and His true word.

As far as the 'inerrancy' part goes, all I can say is that science is getting
closer-and-closer to agreeing with the Bible in a historical context.  Archae-
ological finds in the past 35 or 40 years have discovered different finds that
are mentioned in the Bible, and even "lost cities" once thought to be fables
that are also mentioned in the Bible.  Again, these are found in McDowell's
book.  Paul, the apostle, in one of his letters said to be ready to give an
answer (of your faith) to all who ask.  I believe __not __ because it's the
Bible ("priori assertion"), but because it has proven itself to be undenably
the Word of God.

--
Jeff

[It's certainly reasonable to suggest that people look at Josh
McDowell.  It's a well-known and apparently attractive presentation of
the conservative position.  However those who find the inerrant
position unacceptable -- and Josh Smith certainly seems to be leaning
in that direction -- should know that there are other alternatives.  A
good treatment of the issues from a moderate liberal perspective is
James Barr, "Holy Scripture: canon, authority, criticism", Westminster
Press, 1983.  It is possible to believe that the Bible is generally
reliable without believing that it is supernaturally inerrant.  --clh]

nlt@grad17.cs.duke.edu (N. L. Tinkham) (08/12/90)

Our Revered Moderator writes:

> In principle one could accept inerrancy, but still come up with
> arguments for ordination of women, based on differences in the social
> environment now and in the 1st Cent.  But I don't know anyone who
> believes in inerrancy and accepts such arguments.  So in practice
> ordination of women is a fairly good quick test.

     Evangelicals who accept both the inerrancy of the Bible and the ordination
of women do exist, in more than merely token numbers.  The name that first
comes to my mind is Gilbert Bilezikian, a New Testament professor at
Wheaton College; I can come up with a longer list of names if there is
interest.  (Wheaton requires its faculty to be inerrantists.  It's my
undergraduate school, so I keep up with the news there.)  _Christianity_Today_,
a conservative Evangelical periodical, also debates the issue from time to
time, with inerrantists arguing both sides of the question.

     In scanning my copies of _Christianity_Today_ (chiefly to find the correct
spelling of "Bilezikian" :-) ), I found in the April 9, 1990 issue (pp. 37-38)
a statement titled "Men, Women, & Biblical Equality", arguing from Scripture
that women and men should have equal status both in the family and in the
church.  The content of the statement and its list of 7 authors and over 100
endorsers is worth reading, if only to see the diversity within the Evangelical
community.

"For Christ plays in ten thousand places,               Nancy Tinkham
 Lovely in limbs, and lovely in eyes not his            nlt@lear.cs.duke.edu
 To the Father through the features of men's faces."    rutgers!mcnc!duke!nlt