[soc.religion.christian] Critique of the Boston Church of Christ by Rev. Tim McAndrew

rex@nbc1.ge.com (Rex Espiritu) (08/06/90)

CRITIQUE OF THE
BOSTON CHURCH
OF CHRIST
by Rev. Tim McAndrew

	Rev. Tim McAndrew is a cum laude graduate of Columbia Bible
College with a bachelor of Science in Biblical Education, 1978.  He
also received a two year Master of Religious Education from
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary in 1980.  He is currently the
Assistant Pastor of the North Chelmsford Congregational Church in
Massachusetts.

	I did this research in memory of Walter Martin.  Jude 3 "Dear
friends, although I was very eager to write you about the salvation we
share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith
that was once for all entrusted to the saints."

I.  Historical Overview
	A.  Restoration Movement
	In the mid-1800's a movement to restore New Testament
Christianity began to grow and has come down to us in three main
streams; (1) Churches of Christ, (2) noninstrumental Churches of
Christ, which teach no musical instruments should be played in a
church worship service because the New Testament lists no playing of
instruments in its recorded worship meetings, and (3) the Disciples of
Christ.
	Tributaries have branched off from these three streams and the
Boston Church of Christ has come out of the noninstrumental Churches
of Christ.

	B.  The Boston Church of Christ
	The Boston Church of Christ was in Lexington in 1979 with just
thirty members when Kip McKean took the pastorate.  He had been a
student in the University of Florida in the early 1970's when he
joined up with a ministry of Chuck Lucas and his Crossroads Movement
that emphasized strict discipleship over followers.
	The Boston Church of Christ has cut its ties to the Crossroads
Movement since Chuck Lucas has resigned from its ministry.
	In June of 1979, Kip McKean took his discipleship teachings to
this local church and by 1986 it was meeting in the Boston Garden with
thousands of members and daughter churches spreading from coast to
coast and internationally as well.
	Kip McKean has left this local church and it is now pastored
by Dr. Albert W. Baird and Robert F. Gempel and perhaps one or two
other "elders" will be appointed soon.  As of January of 1989 four or
five thousand people attend the Sunday service at Boston Garden and
during the summer their international seminar had about thirteen
thousand attending the Boston Garden.
	They use the "cell" multiplication system to get to such high
numbers in a single organization.  It is a hierarchy with theocracy
i.e. God rules their government through their appointed leaders.
	The pyramid's base is the house churches or Bible Study [Talk]
Groups that meet in private homes, apartments, etc., with an appointed
leader over each study group.
	The second tier of leadership is the _Zone_ leaders who
oversee several Bible Study [Talk] Groups.
	The next level are the _Sector_ leaders that oversee several
Zone leaders, there are only three main Sector leaders for the Boston
Church and one of them is Al Baird, one of the _elders_.  There are
two other Sector leaders for the Teen Work and Campus Work.
	Then the top leaders are the two _elders_ who oversee the
Sector leaders and themselves as only God is above them.

II.  Authority Claims and Evidences
	(1) The Boston Church of Christ makes the basic claim that
they follow the New Testament, and Bible in general, more fully than
most other local churches.
	(2) This is the basis for the second basic claim, which is
there is no salvation outside the Boston Church of Christ's
Theological System.  Only local churches which are identical or very,
very close to their own beliefs and practices are considered Born From
Above Christians.  The rest of so-called Christianity are not
considered true Christians but either false apostles masquerading as
"angels of light" (like yours truly) or deceived followers of such
"angels of light" who are ignorant of their condition.
	Now, every one true church in history has produced evidence to
back up that elite claim and the Boston Church of Christ is no
different.  They have distinctive doctrines and practices to show how
most other congregations are different and therefore wrong.  How can a
one true church believe and act like other congregations?
	This sort of philosophy does attract a certain type of person
who wants to believe that he or she is indeed part of an elite
movement.  Lutheran theologian Richard John Neuhaus stated that
authoritarian groups like this have a growing popularity due to the
"false perception of certainty" they offer.  "There is a felt market
need for specific answers that come from God, not from somebody's
judgment," he says.
	(3) The Boston Church of Christ says God must be favoring us
with His Blessings due to the fact that it has grown in population
size so quickly and in mass.
	Large and quick growth is at the least a responsibility and
may indeed mean God has blessed it.  On the other hand, as certain
television evangelists can tell you, that type of proof doesn't prove
that a large and fast growing cancer isn't there.  It could also be a
mixed bag of solid and healthy growth with some unhealthy growth as
well.

III.  Central Beliefs and Practices with Refutations
	A.  Testing Truth Claims
	Since the central pillar that hold this one true church up is
that they follow the Bible more fully than most, it is necessary to
cross that same bridge to counter such sweeping claims.
	The God of the Bible does not equal the Boston Church of
Christ.  A grammatical and solid case can be built on the Bible to
refute their odd theology.  Their truth claims will be judged by their
own acknowledged standard, the test of Scripture.
	1.  Isaiah 8:20 "To the Law (i.e. the five books of Moses,
Genesis - Deuteronomy) and the Testimony!  (i.e. the written testimony
of the Old Testament of God's dealings with His people up until Isaiah
by this quote).  If they do not speak according to this word, they
have no light of dawn."  (i.e. _NO_ true revelation from God in this
world of darkness).
	The Bible cannot at any point directly contradict their truth
claims that make them one true church.
	2.  Acts 17:11 "Now the Bereans were of noble character than
the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness
and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was
true."
	Even a true apostle speaking inspired words of God was to be
checked out by God's standard of revelation claims and they were
commended for it.
	It has been my experience that the leadership of the Boston
Church of Christ does not like Biblical literates giving such tests.
They run away from the grammar texts that contradict them and when you
force them to give you grammatical answers they either say nothing,
skip to another passage or they go on a long winded explanation that
is pretty much a bag of wind with no substance.
	3.  I Thessalonians 5:21 "Test everything.  Hold on to the
good."
	But then, since I am a critic of the Boston Church of Christ,
all testing will be considered as poisoned.  There are no legitimate,
honest and sincere critics that are outside or have left one true
churches.  They are all evil or motivated by evil forces.  To think
otherwise would force them to doubt their elite status.

	B.  Specific Beliefs and Practices
	Biblical support in written form for all the following beliefs
and practices is to be found in the Boston Church of Christ workbook
publication, _First_Principles_, first given in 1979 by Kip McKean and
"fine tuned" over the years until it has been printed in this booklet
in 1989.  (Published and available through their Boston Tape Ministry,
P.O. Box 144, Lexington, MA, 02173.)

	1.  Unless you are a fully committed disciple you are either
not saved from God's coming judgment or are in danger of losing your
Christian standing of being forgiven by rejecting the Boston Church of
Christ's teachings.
REFUTATION
	I Corinthians 3:9-15 gives the only explanation of judgment of
the believer.  If the believer has the foundation which is the
acceptance of the finished work of Christ on our behalf, he himself
will be saved even if all he has built was wood, hay and stubble.
	Ephesians 2:8-10 and Galatians 3:1-14 refute such additions to
add anything to the forgiven standing of Born From Above Christians.

	2.  They bring people to Christ and illuminate their minds
with their odd theological interpretations of Scripture.  They say
this is cooperating with the Holy Spirit but they reduce Him to a bit
player cooperating with their efforts.
REFUTATION
	John 6:44 "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me
draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day."
	I John 2:26,27 "I am writing these things to you about those
who are trying to lead you astray.  As for you, the anointing you
received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach
you.  But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that
anointing is real, not counterfeit-just as it has taught you, remain
in Him."
	Authoritative teachers outside of Jesus and the Holy Spirit we
do not need.  Teachers of the church are gifted by the Holy Spirit but
their authority ends before the author of all gifts and His inspired
Word.

	3.  They deny the baptism of the Spirit is for today and claim
their water baptism (by immersion) is what saves or completes the
saving covenant.  Pentecost and the house of Cornelius are the only
two baptisms by the Spirit they recognize.
REFUTATION
	a.  Acts 10:44-48 and 11:15-18, Cornelius and others receive
the baptism of the Spirit before water baptism.  Baptism where no
water touches the baptized; I Corinthians 10:1-5, I Peter 3:20,21 and
Ephesians 5:25,26.
	b.  I Corinthians 12:12,13 "The body is a unit, though it is
made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form
one body.  So it is with Christ.  For we were all baptized by (or in)
one Spirit into one body-whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free-and we
were all given one Spirit to drink."  Ephesians 4:3-6, Galatians
3:26-4:7 and Romans 8:9-11, Verse 9: "You, however, are controlled not
by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in
you.  And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not
belong to Christ."

	4.  Each person who joins the Boston Church of Christ is given
Junior Discipleship Partner status with a Senior Discipleship Partner
given as his or her counsellor and guide for his or her Christian
walk.  Again the Holy Spirit is reduced to speaking through the Senior
Discipleship Partner.
REFUTATION
	Jesus' words that the Holy Spirit indwelling you, not other
human beings, but you personally would be your ultimate counsellor or
guide are hard to ignore.  John 14:15-24 and 16:5-16.
	It is hard for me to forget the words of Martin Luther when he
was faced by the political and spiritual authoritarianism one true
church of his day.  "A man's conscience is God given and to deny what
you honestly believe is both wrong and dangerous.  Therefore, unless I
can be convinced by sacred Scripture or by evident reason, I cannot
and will not recant.  Here I stand, I can do no other.  God help me.
Amen (or so be it)."
	Just because you are a spiritual and/or political authority
that wields great power doesn't mean you are right.

	5.  Do not grieve the Senior Discipleship Partner by
disobedience to counsel or you risk the full authority of the Boston
Church of Christ lighting right on your neck.  They may toss you out
of their local assembly which means loss of salvation as you are now
out of the Body of Christ.
REFUTATION
	The Holy Spirit seals us in our redemption and breaks
fellowship with us when we grieve Him.  Ephesians 4:29-32, _Verse_30_
"And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed
for the day of redemption."
	Jesus promised that those who accept Him will _never_ perish.
John 6:35-40 and 10:27-30.
	You should know that you have (present tense) eternal life, I
John 5:10-13.
	Illustration of thief on the cross; Mark 15:25-32 and Luke
23:32-43.

IV.  CONCLUSIONS
	My conclusions on the Boston Church of Christ is that they
have tried to take over the functions of the Holy Spirit with their
own efforts.
	Their basic problem is that no human organization, or
individual for that matter, is up to being God the Holy Spirit.  We
are simply too sinful and finite.  They use the Law of God, i.e. the
Law of perfection, and a false claim to spiritual authority on the
Holy Spirit's level Himself, like clubs to get their converts and keep
them in line with more fear than is necessary.
	They use high energy and high pressure evangelism with
information control.  That is, rarely or never giving you information
they know exists that would allow you to see other points of view and
their validity.
	Integrity can sometimes get lost in the middle of excitement
about a group's power.
	One last illustration to prove this point.  Dr. Al Baird was
first baptized in 1983 and then _rebaptized_ in 1987 in Boston.  He
was and remains one of the top elders.  I Timothy 3:1-7, especially
verse 6, states no recent convert should be made an elder due to
prideful immaturity lurking in his life.  Al Baird insists that has
nothing to do with him because he was not a recent convert.  When
asked if water baptism (with correct understanding) is necessary for a
true conversion he replied, "Oh yes, we teach and believe that."
	So why the rebaptism if he had been truly converted before?
	Do these people really follow the Scriptures more closely than
most or is that claim as false as the proverbial three dollar bill?
	Surely the old dictum is true, that those who tell white lies
soon become colorblind.

					In Christ,
					Rev. Timothy McAndrew

	For more information on the Boston Church of Christ or other
groups, please contact:
			Sound Doctrine Ministries
			P.O. Box 1962
			Exeter, NH  03833
			(603) 772-3093

[This article was posted with permission of the original author.

Is there some reason why we would be particularly interested in an
analysis of the Boston Church of Christ?  Does it have some
particularly wide influence?  I'm sure there are lots of people who
object to what lots of other churches are doing.  I don't doubt that
there could be an expose of the errors of the Bound Brook Presbyterian
Church (the one I belong to) written from a fundamentalist
perspective.  However it probably doesn't make sense to analyze every
local church in the country in this group.  Rather than attacking
specific churches, it probably makes more sense to talk about general
trends and viewpoints.  I'm assuming that the Boston Church of Christ
is prototypical of an approach that has wider implications.

--clh]

max@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Max Southall) (08/08/90)

In article <Aug.5.17.40.47.1990.17085@athos.rutgers.edu> rex@nbc1.ge.com (Rex Espiritu) writes:
>Is there some reason why we would be particularly interested in an
>analysis of the Boston Church of Christ?  Does it have some
>--clh]

I found this interesting because it seems to me to strike a chord with the
experience of extremist "discipling" and authoritarianism that has been
endemic in some quarters. The arguments refuting it are particularly apt.

[flong%math@sdsu.edu (Fred J. E. Long) also comments:
>There is a very similar church of christ here in san diego.
--clh]

jackk@shasta.stanford.edu (Jack Kouloheris) (08/12/90)

In article <Aug.8.03.05.49.1990.12533@athos.rutgers.edu> you write:
>>Is there some reason why we would be particularly interested in an
>>analysis of the Boston Church of Christ?  Does it have some
>>--clh]
I think the reason that others might be interested is that
there seems to be a *subset* of the Church of Christ denomination
associated with the Boston Church of Christ. Other churches include
Crossroads Church of Christ (Gainesville, Fla.) and Berkeley
Church of Christ (Berkeley, Ca.). Their primary evagelism focus
seems to be on University campuses, through their dorm
bible studies. The bible studies are advertised as being
"non-denominational", but indeed only one interpretation of scripture
is allowed. There is a strong emphasis on works as proof of one's
faith and salvation. They only recognize their baptism by immersion
as being valid. They told me point blank that all other denominations
(from Baptist to Catholic and everything in between) were going
straight to hell. They said "Why do these churches call themselves
"Baptist", "Lutheran", etc. ? We are the only Church of Christ,
we are called by His name." Members who drop out, or decide
to attend a different church are systematically shunned. They have
come under attack in some quarters as exhibiting cult-like practices.

MARK@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu (Mark Woodruff) (08/16/90)

In article <Aug.12.04.51.10.1990.16900@athos.rutgers.edu>,
jackk@shasta.stanford.edu (Jack Kouloheris) says:

>I think the reason that others might be interested is that
>there seems to be a *subset* of the Church of Christ denomination
>associated with the Boston Church of Christ. Other churches include
>Crossroads Church of Christ (Gainesville, Fla.) and Berkeley
>Church of Christ (Berkeley, Ca.).

Add to that the Orlando Church of Christ (Orlando, FL) which I have
attended twice, but am not a member of.

>Their primary evagelism focus
>seems to be on University campuses, through their dorm
>bible studies. The bible studies are advertised as being
>"non-denominational", but indeed only one interpretation of scripture
>is allowed.

So far, my impression is that if an interpretation agrees with the whole
of the Bible, they accept it.  Interestingly enough, they don't particularly
care which Bible so long as it is a translation and not a paraphrase.  Most
of their members seem to use the New International Version.

>There is a strong emphasis on works as proof of one's
>faith and salvation.

The emphasis I've noticed is on Matthew 28:19-20.  They require discipleship
of all members rather than just professional missionaries and preachers.

>They told me point blank that all other denominations
>(from Baptist to Catholic and everything in between) were going
>straight to hell.

I haven't heard this from anyone; instead they've urged for everyone to
"check them out."  If someone finds something they do out of line with the
scripture, they say they will change.

If you're interested, I'll let you know more as I find out more.

mark