[soc.religion.christian] Constitutional content

jeff@slovax.wa.com (jeff) (08/17/90)

In article <58786@bbn.BBN.COM>, djw@bbn.com (David Waitzman) writes:
> Why is the Constitutional separation of church and state
> clause not relevant here?

Has nobody read the constitution of the United States of America?
Please read it for yourself. Especially the part about religion.
I don't have a copy right here at my desk, but it reads something like:

Congress shall make no law establishing a religion
or restricting the observance of a religion.

How in the world do you get separation of church and state out of that?
It clearly states congress shall not dictate religion.

*** BEGIN SOAPBOX ***

To interpret the constitution in such a way as to completely separate religion
from government is not consistent with either the authors or the period in
which it was written.

The people that founded this nation were deeply devoted to G-d, and came here
to escape religious presecution.  Because of this, they saw fit to restrict our
government's ability to mess with our freedom to worship as we please.

Let's not start flaming about attricities committed by supposed 'religious'
zealots. There will always be weirdos to contend with, but these are the
exception, not the rule. Look instead at the volumes of history that chronical
our rise as a just, powerful and G-d fearing nation. Discover how a belief in
G-d as sovereign Lord has molded and strengthened or nation.

This might not be taught in public schools anymore. Much of the religious
history has been removed from our text books, because the discussion of G-d
was mistakenly thought to be improper in a secular forum. Why? It's not
teaching G-d, it's teaching history. History is history. What happened,
happened.

When we again let persecution overtake us, where will we go from here?

*** END SOAPBOX ***

I apologise for the rambling. I've heard this point made much more clearly
than I have made it here.

Any discussion?

jeff

--
[  jeff@SLOVAX.WA.COM  --  Jeffry H. Loucks, RDA, Inc.     (206)967-8018  ]
[   -or-  1304 34th St Ct NW, Gig Harbor, WA, USA  98335   (206)851-8908  ]