[soc.religion.christian] Receiving the host

hwt@.bnr.ca (Henry Troup) (07/24/90)

In article <Jul.18.05.02.57.1990.16155@athos.rutgers.edu> cms@dragon.uucp writes:
>the late middle ages, the priest is to continue to place the bread in people's
>mouths rather than following the ancient practice of placing it in their
>hands."  So that's why!  I find it interesting that here the Church is a force

I'm slightly confused - are you saying that American Episcopal practice is
to place the bread in people's mouths?  This is rather unlike the Episcopal
Church in Scotland, and the Anglican Church of Canada.  Do you also receive
in both kinds?

BTW, the host is supposed to be a wonderful remedy for caterpillars on cabbage!
:^)
--
Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions | Not one of 100% of
..uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 HWT@BNR.CA 613-765-2337 | Americans

mls@sfsup.att.com (Mike Siemon) (07/26/90)

In article <Jul.24.04.14.04.1990.17200@athos.rutgers.edu>,
hwt@.bnr.ca (Henry Troup) writes:

> I'm slightly confused - are you saying that American Episcopal practice is
> to place the bread in people's mouths?  This is rather unlike the Episcopal
> Church in Scotland, and the Anglican Church of Canada.  Do you also receive
> in both kinds?

I would guess that majority practice is to receive the host or bread in
one's hands (and fairly common practice to help the chalice bearer guide
the cup :-))  But there are certainly high AngloCatholic types who *will*
take host and wine only "without help of human hands."  Certainly, if one
is ill and wishes to take the wine by "intinction" (i.e., dipping the host
into the wine, fairly common), one had better be prepared to grip the host
firmly!

Priests here have to be fairly alert, because they tend to be faced by
quite determined practitioners of various forms.  It can be, I am told,
quite nervous-making, especially for the newly ordained.  General Seminary
runs a "Mass Class" taught by Father J. Robert Wright.  Much of this is
simple and direct instruction in the rite. but there is one wonderful
segment of the class in which the students have to run a "practice mass"
in which members of the community have been planted as ringers -- with
secret instructions by J.Bob to do things like:

	- grab the chalice and (try to) drain it
	- go into fits at (?)appropriate places in the service
	- clutch at the priests robes and cry out "Help me, I have sinned!"
	  at the aesthetically least opportune moment ...

You get the idea.  These things merely exaggerate on actual things that
have happened to all too many priests in "normal" circumstances.  One
complicating factor is that "generic" policy is to admit any baptized
Christian to communion who desires to take it.  This can very often lead
to novice communicants who simply have *no* idea what to do.  They will
usually be able to imitate those around them, and the priest can give a
few good "cues" -- but chances for remarkable comedies always abound.
Unless you have lived around a community of priests, you have *no idea*
how many mind-boggling things can go wrong in a service!  But openness
to this is part, I think, of a proper humility and vulnerability before
God.
--
Michael L. Siemon		We must know the truth, and we must
m.siemon@ATT.COM		love the truth we know, and we must

[Have I told you about the incident in which an Episcopal priest
managed to consecrate and serve shampoo?  --clh]

carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) (07/26/90)

In article <Jul.24.04.14.04.1990.17200@athos.rutgers.edu> hwt@.bnr.ca (Henry Troup) writes:
>I'm slightly confused - are you saying that American Episcopal practice is
>to place the bread in people's mouths?  This is rather unlike the Episcopal
>Church in Scotland, and the Anglican Church of Canada.  Do you also receive
>in both kinds?

In my diocese (one characteristic of American Anglicanism is liturgical
variation from one locality to another), there are two common ways of
receiving the Sacrament. The more common is the practice with which all
Anglicans are familiar - receipt of the Host in the hand, followed by
drinking from the chalice.

The second method is for the communicant to receive the host and wait
for the chalice bearer, who intincts the Host in the chalice and places
it in the communicant's mouth, with the words used for the
administration of the chalice. This method is often preferred by
recovering alcoholics and converts from Roman Catholicism.

Of course, the communicant always has the option of receiving the Host
only, should he/she be alcoholic, ill, or pregnant.

	Jeff Carroll
	carroll@atc.boeing.com

cms@dragon.uucp (07/30/90)

In article <Jul.24.04.14.04.1990.17200@athos.rutgers.edu>, hwt@.bnr.ca (Henry Troup) writes:
> In article <Jul.18.05.02.57.1990.16155@athos.rutgers.edu> cms@dragon.uucp writes:
>>the late middle ages, the priest is to continue to place the bread in people's
>>mouths rather than following the ancient practice of placing it in their
>>hands."  So that's why!  I find it interesting that here the Church is a force
>
> I'm slightly confused - are you saying that American Episcopal practice is
> to place the bread in people's mouths?  This is rather unlike the Episcopal
> Church in Scotland, and the Anglican Church of Canada.  Do you also receive
> in both kinds?

 I believe the above quotation is from the 1549 Prayer Book (Church of
England).  In the Episcopal Church, the Body of Christ is placed in the hand,
generally.  In some Churches, placing the Body of Christ on the tongue is the
rule, but such churches are the exception in the Anglican Communion.  In actual
practice, Episcopal Church priests will place the Eucharist on the tongue's of
those who open their mouths; this is simply because of the large numbers of
Roman Catholics who come to our church for the first time (myself included) and
aren't familiar with prevailing practice.  After receiving Communion on the
tongue in the Episcopal Church, the priest once said to me, "Hold out your
hand."  I said, "Sir?" and he repeated, "Hold out your hand."  Confused, I did
so, and he placed the Eucharist in my hand.  I have to confess I was utterly,
utterly *shocked* when I held the Eucharist in my hand and wasn't sure what to
do with it.  I felt like Peter at the Transfiguration who didn't know what he
was saying either when I asked, "What do I do with it?"  I felt like an idiot
later.  I remember the priest saying under his breath, "Oh, boy," then he said,
"You eat it."  I did.  Heh heh.  I've grown in the Church since then.  This has
nothing whatsoever to do with theology; it's just something that had never
happened to me before.  I had no problem then, and have no problem now, with
touching the Eucharist, I'd just never done it before.  I also used to
immediately get up and leave after receiving the Body; it was only later than I
realized that, yes, we also receive the Blood of Christ in the Episcopal
Church.

> BTW, the host is supposed to be a wonderful remedy for caterpillars on
> cabbage!
> :^)

 ?????  Huh ???

> Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions | Not one of 100% of

--
                                   Sincerely,
Cindy Smith

kilroy@mimsy.umd.edu (Dr. Nancy's Sweetie) (07/30/90)

Michael Siemon, writing about Communion practice in Anglican churches,
made the following comment:

>Certainly, if one is ill and wishes to take the wine by "intinction" (i.e.,
>dipping the host into the wine, fairly common), one had better be prepared
>to grip the host firmly!

Which reminds me of something I read that people here might find amusing:

During the 1984 presidential campaign, Ronald & Nancy Reagan went to church
one Sunday with Mr. Reagan's press secretary (whose name escapes me at the
moment).  The Reagans (who are Presbyterian) were unfamiliar with the way
in which Episcopelians observe Communion, and were uncomfortable drinking
from a common cup.  As they approached the rail, the press secretary (Deaver?
Speakes?  I still don't remember) told them that they could dip the wafer
into the wine, if they preferred, but Ron (who is hard of hearing, you will
recall) did not hear him; Nancy said "just do what I do".

Well, around comes the priest with the cup, and Nancy goes to intinct and
accidentally drops her wafer in.  So, the priest gets to Ronnie, who leans
forward slightly and drops his in too.

The press secretary said "the priest went on, shaking his head."

(This is recounted in the press secretary's book, which I want to call
 _Michael Speaks_, so his name may be Speakes.  Then again, maybe it
 isn't...)

kilroy@cs.umd.edu          Darren F. Provine          ...uunet!mimsy!kilroy
"I don't remember, I don't recall;
 I got no memory of anything at all." -- Peter Gabriel

jao@tekcrl.labs.tek.com (John Ockerbloom) (07/30/90)

In article <Jul.26.01.49.36.1990.26530@athos.rutgers.edu> you write:
>[Have I told you about the incident in which an Episcopal priest
>managed to consecrate and serve shampoo?  --clh]

No, I don't remember you mentioning it here before, but there's got
to be a good story behind that one.  I'd be interested in hearing more.

John Ockerbloom
jao@tekcrl.labs.tek.com                      ockerbloom@cs.cmu.edu (forwarded)
ocker@yalecs.bitnet (fwded)     14245 SW Walker Rd. (#15), Beaverton, OR 97006

[I'm not much of a story-teller, so this is going to be sort of
abbreviated.  This was told to me in college by a fellow who was the
son of an Episcopal pastor.  His church served a white wine that came
in particularly handsome containers.  The pastor's wife decided that
one of the containers would look nice in her boudoir, so she
appropriated an empty one.  She ended up putting shampoo in it.  The
pastor noticed the container at home, full of a liquid that look
roughly the same as the white wine, and concluded that somehow he had
mistakenly left one at home.  He took it back to the church.  You can
imagine the rest.  He used it on a Sunday when he had a bad cold, so
he was unable to smell the fact that the liquid was not what he
expected.  However he began to realize that something was odd when
people started running out of the sanctuary after communing.  Once he
realized his mistake, of course he stopped the service, poured some
real wine and consecrated it.  But the question that interested my
friend was: what do you do with consecrated shampoo?  He says that
nobody would tell him what was finally done.  --clh]

cms@dragon.uucp (07/30/90)

In article <Jul.26.01.49.36.1990.26530@athos.rutgers.edu>, mls@sfsup.att.com (Mike Siemon) writes:

> 	- grab the chalice and (try to) drain it
> 	- go into fits at (?)appropriate places in the service
> 	- clutch at the priests robes and cry out "Help me, I have sinned!"
> 	  at the aesthetically least opportune moment ...

 Once, when I was a child, I was absolutely *parched*, and I drained the
chalice.  The priest tried to take it away from me, but I was insistent,
saying, "I'm thirsty!"  I walked back to my seat feeling a bit tipsy; it was
full.

> Michael L. Siemon		We must know the truth, and we must

> [Have I told you about the incident in which an Episcopal priest
> managed to consecrate and serve shampoo?  --clh]

 I'm dying to hear!  How on earth did it happen?  Did they actually consume the
shampoo (er, blood of Christ)?  What happened at the end of the mass when the
chalicist is required to consume all the remainder?  Hee hee.

--
Sincerely,
Cindy Smith

[Answered in a previous posting.  --clh]

carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) (08/06/90)

>[I'm not much of a story-teller, so this is going to be sort of
>abbreviated.  This was told to me in college by a fellow who was the
>son of an Episcopal pastor.  His church served a white wine that came
>in particularly handsome containers.  The pastor's wife decided that
>one of the containers would look nice in her boudoir, so she

As a conservative Episcopalian, I am dismayed but neither shocked nor
surprised that a vino cruet would wind up in someone's bathroom, but
that should serve as an indication to non-Episcopalians of the turmoil
that currently exists in our church.

>realized his mistake, of course he stopped the service, poured some
>real wine and consecrated it.  But the question that interested my
>friend was: what do you do with consecrated shampoo?  He says that
>nobody would tell him what was finally done.  --clh]

In fact, most Episcopal parishes have a special basin in the sacristy
which drains into the ground in a way which is ecclesiastically approved
for the disposal of excess sacramental wine (I'd guess that RCs do as
well). While excess wine is usually consumed by the ministers (including
the lay chalice bearers), sometimes there is just so much (or it is just
so early in the morning) that, at the discretion of the celebrant, it is
poured into this basin.

My guess is that that's what happened to the shampoo. (Or maybe the
rector's wife just took it back home and used it.)

	Jeff Carroll
	carroll@atc.boeing.com

mmh@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Matthew Huntbach) (08/06/90)

In article <Jul.29.13.46.56.1990.12563@athos.rutgers.edu> cms@dragon.uucp writes:
> I believe the above quotation is from the 1549 Prayer Book (Church of
>England).  In the Episcopal Church, the Body of Christ is placed in the hand,
>generally.  In some Churches, placing the Body of Christ on the tongue is the
>rule, but such churches are the exception in the Anglican Communion.
>  In actual practice, Episcopal Church priests will place the Eucharist
> on the tongue's of those who open their mouths; this is
>simply because of the large numbers of Roman Catholics who come to our
> church for the first time (myself included) and
>aren't familiar with prevailing practice.

In fact, communion by hand has been permissible in the RC
Church in England for about twelve years. Maybe it hasn't
reached the USA yet, whether it's permissible is up to the
local bishops (I remember seeing it in France twenty years
ago). Communion under both kinds is now becoming more general
in the RC Church here as well, and has recently been made
permissible in all circumstances.

Matthew Huntbach

mmh@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Matthew Huntbach) (08/06/90)

>real wine and consecrated it.  But the question that interested my
>friend was: what do you do with consecrated shampoo?  He says that
>nobody would tell him what was finally done.  --clh]

In fact, there are fairly strict rules about what constitutes
bread and wine. If it isn't bread or wine, it can't be
consecrated. So it was simply shampoo, and could be tipped back
into the shampoo bottle for hair-washing.

Matthew Huntbach

cms@dragon.uucp (08/08/90)

In article <Aug.5.19.30.23.1990.17664@athos.rutgers.edu>, bcsaic!carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) writes:

> In fact, most Episcopal parishes have a special basin in the sacristy
> which drains into the ground in a way which is ecclesiastically approved
> for the disposal of excess sacramental wine (I'd guess that RCs do as
> well). While excess wine is usually consumed by the ministers (including
> the lay chalice bearers), sometimes there is just so much (or it is just
> so early in the morning) that, at the discretion of the celebrant, it is
> poured into this basin.

 I think Chuck's story was meant to be taken more humorously.  At any rate, I
have a friend in my parish who used to serve as an altar boy in his Episcopal
church.  The old priest there constantly poured way too much wine for the Mass
and then insisted that it be consumed in toto by the altar boys, who were the
only ones assisting him at this early morning Mass.  My friend remembers going
home from Mass tipsy, walking into his house, and his father saying, "Old
Father Joe celebrated again, eh?"

 Also, I have a good one from the Father Koesler Mysteries (you may remember
the movie, The Rosary Murders); this is from Marked For Murder.  In you didn't
quite understand what Jeff's talking about, a "sacrarium" is a special sink
which has a pipe that leads directly into the ground and is used for the
washing of sacred linens (priest-wear, robes and such).  I've heard of some
priests who use them to dispose of sacramental wine, but the RC Church at least
forbids this now, as I understand it, and insists on consumption.  For washing,
holy water must be poured by a deacon or higher ordained, then ordinary water
can be added to it; sub-deacons do most of the washing, as my priest told me
(he was ordained in the Roman Church).  That may be their primary function :-).
Anyway, here's the joke:

 A seminarian was taking his final orals for ordination.  The first examining
priest finished, walked out, and in came a much older priest, who threw a
hypothetical at him (this is supposedly a true story).

 "You're celebrating Mass," the old priest said.  "You've finished the
consecration.  Your hands are raised in prayer.  Suddenly!  A little mouse
scurries across the Altar, grabs the consecrated Host in its mouth, and
scurries away.  What do you do?"

 Well, the young seminarian thought about it for a while and then replied:
"Well, I'd burn down the Church and throw the ashes in the sacrarium!"

--

Sincerely,
Cindy Smith

[Indeed my story was intended to be taken humorously, but as far as I
know it is true.  It was told to me by the son of the priest involved.
--clh]

cms@dragon.uucp (08/08/90)

In article <Aug.5.19.30.46.1990.17682@athos.rutgers.edu>, mmh@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Matthew Huntbach) writes:
>>real wine and consecrated it.  But the question that interested my
>>friend was: what do you do with consecrated shampoo?  He says that
>>nobody would tell him what was finally done.  --clh]
>
> In fact, there are fairly strict rules about what constitutes
> bread and wine. If it isn't bread or wine, it can't be
> consecrated. So it was simply shampoo, and could be tipped back
> into the shampoo bottle for hair-washing.
>
> Matthew Huntbach

 I've heard about what I regard as some pretty hilarious discussions about
whether the raisins, for example, in consecrated raisin bread are actually the
Body of Christ or "accidents" without the presence.  Sometimes I think
Catholics (and Orthodox, for that matter) take the issue just a *bit* too
seriously.  Just be safe, and consume the raisins.  As for the shampoo, wash
your hair in a sacrarium and be done with it :-).

--

Sincerely,
Cindy Smith

cathy@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Cathy Johnston) (08/17/90)

In article <Aug.8.03.47.01.1990.12988@athos.rutgers.edu> cms@dragon.uucp writes:
>Anyway, here's the joke:
>
> A seminarian was taking his final orals for ordination.  The first examining
>priest finished, walked out, and in came a much older priest, who threw a
>hypothetical at him (this is supposedly a true story).
>
> "You're celebrating Mass," the old priest said.  "You've finished the
>consecration.  Your hands are raised in prayer.  Suddenly!  A little mouse
>scurries across the Altar, grabs the consecrated Host in its mouth, and
>scurries away.  What do you do?"
>
> Well, the young seminarian thought about it for a while and then replied:
>"Well, I'd burn down the Church and throw the ashes in the sacrarium!"

One day when I was in college a bunch of us were having lunch at the
Catholic student center and got into an outrageous (and borderline
blasphemous) discussion of distributing Communion...

In the small Chapel where we had one of our Sunday Masses, we would have
two Communion stations, one in the front and one in the back (actually out
in the vestibule.)  This particular autumn the bees had been much worse than
usual, and occasionally they would fly in through the open doors and harass
the congregation.  One guy, a Benedictine brother, related that he had had
a bee fly in and drown in the chalice he was distributing.  There followed
a spirited discussion of whether it was necessary to consume the bee, and
if it was, who should be given this singular honor.  And what if this hap-
pened on a Friday in Lent?  (As if there were bees in Chicago in March!)
Allen (the Benedictine) listened silently for awhile, and finally remarked
in his wonderful laconic Minnesotan down-to-earth-no-nonsense-Benedictine
way that he had fished the bee out with the corner of the purificator and
smashed it against the wall.

And we'd been all set to write to the Vatican requesting an official
opinion... :-)

--
Cathy Johnston
cathy@gargoyle.uchicago.edu