[soc.religion.christian] the good thief

fuzzy@portia.stanford.edu (Daniel Zappala) (08/25/90)

In article <Aug.21.02.17.04.1990.11419@athos.rutgers.edu> tp0x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas Carl Price) writes:

>3) We can shift the punctuation (which is absent, as you know, from the
>original) of Jesus' words on the cross and read him as saying "Verily I say
>unto you today, thou shalt be with me in Paradise." This would, if correct,
>be meaningful, as Jesus is saying that the thief is being judged then and will
>not have to wait for Judgement day to be told one way or the other.

I was not following the original discussion, but the story of the good thief
has always fascinated me, so I thought I'd contribute the best explanation
of that story, which was given to me by an LDS friend.

The LDS ideas about the afterworld are much more specific than the
average Chritians, and thus apply to this situation.  Apparently after
humans die their bodies go to the ground, while their souls go to the
spirit world.  In the spirit world there is spirit paradise and spirit
prison, for the "good" people and the "bad" people.  It is only at
the end of the world that judgement occurs, and then the souls, complete
with perfect bodies, go to heaven or hell.  So Paradise is different from
heaven, and refers to the dwelling place between death and the judgement.
It is this Paradise the good thief is supposed to have gone to.  The
whole concept seems to fit very nicely.

Regardless of whether it's true, I think this points out that there
may be things that we don't understand in the Bible, but that God has
a perfectly good reason for.  Maybe eventually they will be revealed.
Getting picky over words doesn't seem to be what God has in mind for
us when we read the Bible.  He's got everything worked out for us!

Daniel Zappala