[soc.religion.christian] Sharing

sre@cs.rochester.edu (Sherry Ellington) (08/21/90)

The following is a reply to a message I had posted a while back
relating how I'd like to see more sharing in this group.  Don R. Wiseman
gave me permission to print his reply to me.  It speaks a lot of what
I feel.  Sorry Don I was late at this:

I too have been a casual observer of this group and have been disturbed
at times at the focus of the group.  As a Christian, one of the primary goals
of my walk is to stay focused on Jesus Christ.  I find that although I have
many burdens and troubles, when I am walking closely with Jeses (ie. talking
to him, listening to him, reading his teachings, and generally sitting at his
feet adoring God's son) that I forget I have any troubles at all.

However, I work in an academic environment like many others who read this
discussion.  And it is very easy for me to get lost in intellectual discussions
about churches and doctrines, etc.  It is very easy for me, because I enjoy
intellectual persuits, and I am surrounded by them in this University setting.
In fact, I have no fundemental problem with the concept of talking about such
things.

But what my soul really longs for; what I am always craving is to brush up
against the heart of my savior.  To hear stories of how he is moving in our
lives, to help my brother see Jesus more clearly, to have my brother help me,
and to worship and praise him for who he is, and what he is doing.

Occasionally I scan this groups discussions, and when I am really blessed, I
will find a testimony, or a witness to a miracle, or a plea for prayer, etc.
But mostly, I see these other discussions which, although interesting, just
don't satisfy that hunger.

My dream, my sincere prayer, and my reason to keep checking this group from
time to time, is that this group might start to share their hearts.  That it
might become a living witness and support to both Christians and
non-Christians.  And that it be more than just a place to talk religion.  We
can talk religion, but we could also talk Jesus, and we could make this
something really awesome.

Don Wiseman
(dwiseman@groucho.mrc.uidaho.edu)

jygabler@ucdavis.edu (Jason Y. Gabler) (08/25/90)

In article <Aug.20.22.41.40.1990.6708@athos.rutgers.edu> cci632!sre@cs.rochester.edu (Sherry Ellington) writes:
>Occasionally I scan this groups discussions, and when I am really blessed, I
>will find a testimony, or a witness to a miracle, or a plea for prayer, etc.
>But mostly, I see these other discussions which, although interesting, just
>don't satisfy that hunger.

	But isn't that what this group is for?  I believe what you are looking
for is "mailjc".  This is a mailing list for Christians to dicuss and share
ideas, values, prayer  requests, etc... on a more personal level.

Write to:
	alias mailjc 	mailjc-request@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us

(anyone out there correct me if this is the wrong adress, please )

jase

Jason Gabler   UCD Computing Services, Data Communications Group  *cable grunt*
ccjason@castor.ucdavis.edu jygabler@ucdavis.bitnet gods-tale-request@ucdavis.edu

rex@nbc1.ge.com (Rex Espiritu) (08/27/90)

In article <Aug.20.22.41.40.1990.6708@athos.rutgers.edu> cci632!sre@cs.rochester.edu (Sherry Ellington) writes:
>relating how I'd like to see more sharing in this group.  Don R. Wiseman
>gave me permission to print his reply to me.  It speaks a lot of what
>I feel...

	Well, the Spirit must be working...  You, Sherry and Don, just
conveyed to me what I've been unable to pin down for quite a while now.
As Christians, we are called to "be real" with each other, and thereby
be vessels of Christ, being a blessing to one another.

>I too have been a casual observer of this group and have been disturbed
>at times at the focus of the group.  As a Christian, one of the primary goals

	Ditto.

>of my walk is to stay focused on Jesus Christ.  I find that although I have...

	Amen!

The rest of your posting speaks well enough that I don't need to re-post or
add anything to it, except that I'm touched, encouraged, and charged to be
even more bold than I have been.  And I thank God for that and for you and
your faithfulness.

In a separate article, I am posting a recent sermon God called me to deliver
despite my initial hesitation(s).  Several friends and (e-mail) acquaintances
(including our moderator and other readers of this group) have already received
it via "private" e-mail.

I pray that God may use it as I feel led to share it with you all.
God's blessings!

In Christ,
Rex Espiritu