[soc.religion.christian] Church of Which Paul Was A Member

tobritt@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (Randall Britton (SVER)) (08/16/90)

Howdy all.  I have been "skulking" this group for the last 2 or 3
groups of postings and have noticed a philosophy that seems quite
common on the net.  This pilosophy is that one can attend any church,
no matter what they teach and practice and so long as they worship
God in some way, then everything is all right.  In other words,
"there are many roads to heaven" and you just have to be on one of
them.  As unpopular as I am bound to make myself by saying this, I have
to take issue with this notion.  I believe the Bible outlines THE road
to heaven and one must be on the road described in the New Testament in
order to get to heaven.  I don't believe that there can be more than one
truth.  The only truth is the one outlined in the NEW Testament.  The fol-
lowing is a rather long winded essay on what I understand the Bible to
say about what kind of church is looked on favorably by God.  I have
surmised that the majority of readers will disagree with my assertion
that the only church approved by God is the one described in the New
Testament.  I simply ask that you read the following with an open mind
and if any of the facts stated are incorrect, by all means point them
out(I KNOW that you will :-) ).

              The Church of Which Paul Was A Member

     If you had the choice of being a member of the church of which
Paul was a member or some church that had its beginning since
Paul's time, which would you choose?  Actually, you have just that
choice.  People could identify the religion taught and practiced by
Paul; and as a result, much evil was spoken of it.  In Acts 16:20-
21, 17:6, and 18:13 Paul was accused of exceedingly troubling the
city, teaching customs that were not lawful to receive or observe,
turning the world upside down and persuading men to worship God
contrary to the law.  But in the site of God this was the only
right church, for He never authorized any other.
     God had not at that time authorized the existence of any other
religious body, and in the absence of any authorization from God
for the existence of any other since that time, we are forced to
conclude that IT was and is the only church that exists by the
power and with the approval of God.
     Paul wrote several letters to local churches.  He instructed
them relative to spiritual work and worship.  He never gave any
instructions for any other organization to function in spiritual
matters.  Thus, the local church is the only organization in the
New Testament for spiritual work and worship.  Stated another way,
there is no organization in the New Testament larger than, smaller
than, or other than an independent congregation.  The local church
is God's arrangement for the saved in a locality to have fellowship
in the things Christ has authorized them to do jointly.

     The local church in the New Testament has very definite
characteristics by which it can be identified.  To distinguish
between two different kinds of local churches one must determine
certain things about each, namely:

          1) The source of authority by which it acts.
          2) The name by which it is identified.
          3) The plan of salvation it teaches.
          4) The order of worship in which it engages.
          5) The kind of church work it does.
          6) The kind of church gov't thru which it works.

     These are the very things you would have to list to describe
the church of which you are a member.  Now, let's go to the New
Testament and find what God wants a local church to be in each of
these points.

     1. SOURCE OF AUTHORITY.   In searching for the source of
authority to which local churches in the New Testament subscribed,
we must of necessity put aside all creeds that have been written
since the time of Paul.  Some of the most popular creeds in the
religious world today are the Nicene Creed (325 A.D.), the
Apostles' Creed (500 A.D.), the Augsburg Confession of Faith (1530
A.D.), the Westminster Confession of Faith (1643-49 A.D.), and the
Hiscox Manual (1890 A.D.).  None of these, nor any other creed
written by Conferences, Synods, or Conventions of men, could have
been the source of authority for local churches in Paul's day, for
the simple reason that they came into existence hundreds of years
too late.  The New Testament  plainly tells us that local churches
that are approved of by God accept the scriptures as their complete
authority and faith.  "Every scripture inspired of God is also
profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for
instruction which is in righteousness: that the man of God may be
complete, furnished completely unto every good work." (2 Tim. 3:16-
17)  "His divine power hath granted unto us all things that pertain
unto life and Godliness." (2 Pet. 1:3)  We are not to add to nor
take away from the inspired scriptures. (Rev. 22:18-19)  To do so
is to have not God. (2 John 9)  Can all local churches  find every
teaching and practice in the inspired scriptures?  I believe they
must.

     2. DESCRIPTIVE PHRASES or NAME BY WHICH IDENTIFIED.   The
church has not been given an exclusive name.  Local churches in the
New Testament were called by different phrases.  Paul wrote to "The
church of God which is at Corinth."  (1 Cor. 1:2)  He told the
elders of the church in Ephesus "To feed the church of the Lord,
which he purchased with his own blood." (Acts 20:28)  He sent
salutations to the saints in Rome from "Churches of Christ." (Rom.
16:16)  Any descriptive phrase used in the New Testament to
designate the Lord's church always points ownership to heaven.
What answer do you give when someone asks: "To what church do you
belong?"  Is the name you give found in the New Testament?  Does it
point ownership to heaven?
     Individually, saved men were called "saints" (Eph. 1:1),
"brethren" (Gal. 6:1), "disciples" (Acts 11:26), and "Christians"
(Acts 11:26, 1 Pet. 4:16).  "Saints" signified that they were set
apart from the world and into the service of Christ.  "Brethren"
emphasized their relationship with one another.  "Disciples"
indicated that they were learners of Christ, the Master Teacher.
"Christians" identified them as belonging to Christ.  How do you
reply when someone asks: "What are you religiously?"  If one had
said in Paul's hearing "I want to talk to a ________" (supply the
answer you give to the above question), would Paul have known what
he was talking about?  But if one had said in Paul's hearing "I
want to talk to a Christian," Paul would have answered: "Here am
I."  For that is what he was.
     Saved men always give Christ preeminence (Col. 1:18) by
identifying themselves by His great name.

     3. PLAN OF SALVATION.   Paul taught that "without faith it is
impossible to please God." (Heb. 11:6)  He taught that this "Faith
comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Rom. 10:17)  He
taught that God "Commands all men everywhere to repent." (Acts
17:30)  He taught that "With the mouth confession is made unto
salvation." (Rom. 10:10)  That which one must confess is that Jesus
is Lord. (Rom. 10:9)  Paul taught men to be "Baptized in the name
of the Lord Jesus" (Acts 19:5) to "Wash away sins" (Acts 22:16) and
get "Into Christ." (Gal.3:26-27)  The people in the church at Rome
had obeyed this form of doctrine, and it had made them free from
sin and the servants of righteousness. (Rom. 6:13-18)  If obeyed
from the heart, it will do the same for one today; and nothing less
than this will free from sin.

     4. ITEMS OF WORSHIP.   In Paul's day individuals who comprised
a local church came together from time to time to sing praises to
God (Col. 3:16), pray (Acts 2:42), teach the word (Acts 5:42); and
on the first day of the week they came together to take the Lord's
Supper (Acts 20:7) and give of their prosperity that the work of
the local church might be done. (1 Cor. 16:1-2)
     These local churches did not use mechanical instruments in
worship to God.  They praised Him with "Psalms and hymns and
spiritual songs, singing with grace in their hearts to the Lord."
(Col. 3:16, Eph. 5:19, Rom. 15:9)
     These local churches did not partake of the Lord's Supper
quarterly, nor on Thursday before "Easter."  "Upon the first day of
the week the disciples came together to break bread." (Acts 20:7)
They "Ate the bread and drank the cup to show the Lord's death till
He come." (1 Cor. 11:26)
     These local churches did not raise money to finance church
work by business ventures or recreational activities.  "Upon the
first day of the week every one gave as God had prospered him" that
the work could be done. (1 Cor. 16:1-2)

     5. THE WORK OF THE LOCAL CHURCH.  Paul taught a local church
to meet for worship. (See scriptures in previous point)  The local
church preached the gospel to edify the saved (Acts 20:28,32) and
to save the lost. (Phil. 4:15,16)  The local church did benevolent
work under very restricted circumstances. (Acts 2:42-44, 4:32-34,
6:1-6, 11:27-30, Rom. 15:25-31, 1 Cor. 16:1-2, 2 Cor. chapters 8
and 9, 1 Tim. 5:16)
     A local church did not engage in business enterprises such as
farming or running a school that taught secular subjects.  It did
not support human institutions whether for worship, preaching, or
benevolence.  A local church endeavored to make new converts ONLY
by preaching the gospel; for it, and it alone was and is God's
power to save. (Rom. 1:16)

     6. ORGANIZATION.   The only organization known to the New
Testament for spiritual work and worship is the local church, when
fully developed, with elders, deacons, and saints. (Phil. 1:1)  And
all activities of the local church were overseen by the bishops,
who were also called elders. (Acts 20:28, 1 Pet. 5:1-3)  There was
no centralized agency that told local churches what they were to
do.  And there was no centralized agency, whether an outside board
of directors or a sponsoring church, to which local churches
voluntarily relinquished the oversight of their work.  These local
churches were independent, autonomous, and equal.
     In Paul's day all local churches that were of Christ taught
and practiced the same things.  Paul wrote to the "churches of
Galatia."  He told them that some "Would pervert the gospel of
Christ."  But he warned them that "Though we, or an angel from
heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have
preached unto you, let him be accursed." (Gal 1:6-8)  So we can see
then that this is serious business.
     A local church with different characteristics does not exist
by the power of God.  A number of the most popular churches do not
have even one of these distinctive characteristics.  Some have part
but are lacking in others.  Surely, Paul would not have recognized
these churches.  And more importantly, God will not recognize them;
for they "Teach as their doctrines the precepts of men."  And you
have Jesus's word for it that this makes their worship "vain."
(Matt. 15:9)  If a church is identified by the right name, but does
different works, such as providing recreational activities or
secular schooling; or if it does its work, all or a part, through
a different organization, just to that degree it is different from
the local church of Paul's day.  A church has to measure up in all
these characteristics to be the church of the New Testament.
     Not all churches that call themselves by Christ's name measure
up in all these characteristics.  But when you find one that has
the right source of authority, the right name, the right plan of
salvation, the right worship, the right work and the right
organization, you will have found a local church that belongs to
Christ.

Well, there it is.  Everybody have at it.  Please remember that I am not
posting this just to see if I can get a rise out of everybody.  I'm
posting this because I firmly believe this to be the truth, and I think
the Bible backs me up on it.  I just want everyone to examine their
practices and see if they are comfortable with the amount of "Bible
backing" they have for them.  Until next time America....

|                                                   |                        |
| ICEMAN or if you like tobritt@mars.lerc.nasa.gov  | "Greetings, royal ugly |
|                                                   |        dudes!"         |
| Standard disclaimer applies here.  The opinions stated here are by no means|
| to be associated with my most excellent employer.  (Unless of course, they |
| happen to be the correct opinions and my most excellent employer can make  |
| loads of dough off of them.)                                               |
|           								     |

lionti@ecs.umass.edu (08/27/90)

> tobritt@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (Randall Britton (SVER)) writes:

[intro excerpted]
> Testament.  I simply ask that you read the following with an open mind
> and if any of the facts stated are incorrect, by all means point them
> out(I KNOW that you will :-) ).

You were right,:-) I was waiting for someone to answer this better, but
I guess I'll comment on one small part that I believe is incorrect

>      Paul wrote several letters to local churches.  He instructed
> them relative to spiritual work and worship.  He never gave any
> instructions for any other organization to function in spiritual
> matters.  Thus, the local church is the only organization in the
> New Testament for spiritual work and worship.  Stated another way,
> there is no organization in the New Testament larger than, smaller
> than, or other than an independent congregation.  The local church
> is God's arrangement for the saved in a locality to have fellowship
> in the things Christ has authorized them to do jointly.

This is the part which I have the most obvious problem with.  When
(in the NT) the question came up (in Antioch I believe) of whether
to allow the gentiles into the church, or more importantly whether
they would have to follow the law of Moses (circumcision, etc.)
the "local, independent, congregation" can't decide what to do so
they send Paul (and someone who's name I don't recall, I'm not exactly
a Bible scholar but I'm working on it :-) to Jerusalem to consult
with the Apostles.  This get's into Peter's vision of the sheet with
many kinds of food, etc.)(I think?)
	This meeting is often (now-a-days) refered to as the first
Council at Jerusalem, and is sometimes used to back up claims of
Peter's authority, and the RC church, and the Pope, etc.; which I
definitely don't want to go into right now as I'm feeling rather
flammable :-)
	The point is, this instance seems (IMHO) to definitely indicate
an "organization in the New Testament larger than...an independent
congregation"

> | ICEMAN or if you like tobritt@mars.lerc.nasa.gov

I'm new to networks, usenet, and this group (I've been reading it for
about a week) so please excuse any mistakes, either of convention
or technical. Thanks and I look forward to further interesting talk.

-Mark    lionti@umaecs.bitnet
(I haven't figured out how to do signatures files yet, any help?)