[soc.religion.christian] Eckencar: any info?

toma@husc6.harvard.edu (Tom Arneberg) (08/24/90)

I just found out from my visiting sister that her husband is starting to
get involved with a pseudo-religion called "Eckancar" (sp?).

She says it involves the belief of reincarnation, among other things; but
that he claims it's compatible with Christianity.

Can anyone tell me anything about "Eck" or point me to some reference
material? I'd like to help out, and he may be receptive...

Thanks, Tom A.

+----------o----+-------------------------+----------------------------------+
|        o   o  | Thomas R. Arneberg      |   #include <std_disclaimer.h>    |
|         \O/   | Senior CAD Engineer     +----------------------------------+
| jugglers |    | Bipolar Integrated Tech.| bit!toma@cse.ogi.edu             |
|  unite! / \   | Beaverton, Oregon       | ...!{ogicse,sun,decwrl}!bit!toma |
+---------------+-------------------------+----------------------------------+

walsh@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (08/27/90)

In article <Aug.24.03.58.45.1990.29321@athos.rutgers.edu>, bit!toma@husc6.harvard.edu (Tom Arneberg) writes:
> I just found out from my visiting sister that her husband is starting to
> get involved with a pseudo-religion called "Eckancar" (sp?).
>
> She says it involves the belief of reincarnation, among other things; but
> that he claims it's compatible with Christianity.
>
> Can anyone tell me anything about "Eck" or point me to some reference
> material? I'd like to help out, and he may be receptive...

Eckankar was pretty big back in the 60's, early 70's. The main
book around was called "Eckankar - easy travel to other planets."
This says a lot. Heavy into meditation, mind travel, etc.
I think that today we'd call it New Age, in that there seems to
be spirit guides, channeling, and things of this sort. Don't have
any details at my fingertips. Can I assume your sister is living
in California?

> Thanks, Tom A.

        ando.                     |  It's a gift to eat simple,

lins@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Lindsay Gower) (08/30/90)

walsh@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:

 Can I assume your sister is living
>in California?

C'mon now!  We aren't all of us wacky.
Next *What Is* question: What is Enneagram? (sorry, not
sure of spelling).  I've been seeing this listed as a
retreat workshop at some local Roman Catholic retreat
houses and the descriptions of it, although sketchy,
sound disturbing:  "2000 year old system of consciousness"
and phrases like that.

These retreat houses are, of course, in California.

Anybody know anything about Ennergram?  Recommendations?
Do I embrace it or flee from it?

Thanks for any info.

Lindsay Gower
UniSoft Corporation                  lins@unisoft.comm