[soc.religion.christian] Christianity in the US

geoff@uunet.uu.net (Geoff Allen) (08/30/90)

And rjd4507@venus.tamu.edu (DEFRESE, RAYMOND JACK) followed up:
>	I seem to remember seeing the results of a Gallup poll that
>	said 95% of Americans believe in God (not necessarily the
>	Judeo-Christian God), 84% believed Jesus to be the Son of
>	God and 25% considered themselves "evangelical" (of which
>	I am one).

|Setting aside debates over "professors" vs. "possessors," that means
|the majority of Americans have a predisposition to serve a Christian
|agenda.

>	Judging from the Gallup results, I'd say you're right.

I'd love to believe that the majority of folks in the US are either
Christians or predisposed to Christianity, but I just don't see it.

I think people in the US believe they are Christians because they are
Americans.  You can talk about God and Jesus in a generic sort of way,
and everyone's happy.  But if you start talking about sin, repentance,
or the need for a personal commitment to Christ, most will start tuning
you out (or even become hostile).

Evangelism Explosion has encouraged the use of the following question to
get to the heart of the issue:

	If you were to die today and God said to you, ``Why should I let
	you in to my heaven?'' what would you say?

The majority of answers you'll hear will say nothing about Jesus.  Most
answers will go something like:

	Well, I'm a pretty good person, and I've never killed
	anybody....

The 25% evangelical is an interesting figure, though.

don't really know what Christianity is about.

Disclaimer:  I've lived all my life in the west.  Maybe things are
different down in the Bible Belt.

--
Geoff Allen         \  Since we live by the Spirit,
uunet!pmafire!geoff  \  let us keep in step with the Spirit.

rjd4507@venus.tamu.edu (DEFRESE, RAYMOND JACK) (09/02/90)

>And rjd4507@venus.tamu.edu (DEFRESE, RAYMOND JACK) followed up:
>>	I seem to remember seeing the results of a Gallup poll that
>>	said 95% of Americans believe in God (not necessarily the
>>	Judeo-Christian God), 84% believed Jesus to be the Son of
>>	God and 25% considered themselves "evangelical" (of which
>>	I am one).

	I'm going to follow this up with the hard data. The book is
	called "100 Questions and Answers: Religion in America" by
	George Gallup, Jr. and Sarah Jones. I'll post some questions,
	along with the answers given in a national survey.

Q: Do you believe in God or a universal spirit?

	Yes: 94%
	No:  5%
	No opinion: 1%

Q: What do you believe about Jesus Christ--do you think Jesus Christ was
   God or Son of God, another religious leader like Mohammed or Buddah,
   or do you think Jesus never lived?

	God or Son of God:    84%
	Another Leader:	       9%
	Never actually lived:  1%
	Other:		       2%
	No opinion: 	       4%

Q: Do you describe yourself as a "born-again" or evangelical Christian, or
   not?

	Yes:	33% (!) <----(Higher than I thought--rjd)
	No:	63%
	No opinion: 4%

>I'd love to believe that the majority of folks in the US are either
>Christians or predisposed to Christianity, but I just don't see it.

	You'll see why in a minute...

>I think people in the US believe they are Christians because they are
>Americans.  You can talk about God and Jesus in a generic sort of way,
>and everyone's happy.  But if you start talking about sin, repentance,
>or the need for a personal commitment to Christ, most will start tuning
>you out (or even become hostile).

 Q: Did you, yourself, happen to attend church or synagogue in the last
    seven days?

	Yes: 42%

Q: How often do you read the Bible? (Asked of all, not just Christians--rjd)

	Daily:		11%
	Weekly:		22%
	Monthly:	14%
	Less than monthly:	26%
	Never:		22%
	Can't say:	5%

	The responses to these last two questions disturbs me. Though I
	don't believe one needs to attend church to be a Christian, I
	do think it is important to fellowship with other believers and
	to grow in the Body of Christ. As my pastor puts it, "There are
	no 'Lone Ranger' Christians". We need each other.

	I also think reading the Bible is very important for any Christian.
	Otherwise, how are we supposed to know what God wants from us?
	And if we don't know, how can we live it and become "lights  of
	the world"?

>don't really know what Christianity is about.

	Sadly, I would tend to agree.

>Disclaimer:  I've lived all my life in the west.  Maybe things are
>different down in the Bible Belt.

	You bet they are. I'm originally from New York and became a Christian
	when I started going to school here at Texas A&M. The attitude down
	here is so different; it's a much friendlier environment.

>--
>Geoff Allen         \  Since we live by the Spirit,
>uunet!pmafire!geoff  \  let us keep in step with the Spirit.
>bigtex!pmafire!geoff  \                    --  Gal. 5:25 (NIV)

Ray De Frese
RJD4507@TAMVENUS
Texas A&M University