[soc.religion.christian] Protestant Spirituality

mls@sfsup.att.com (Mike Siemon) (09/14/90)

In article <Sep.9.01.24.38.1990.9698@athos.rutgers.edu>,
cathy@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Cathy Johnston) writes:
> [Charles Hedrick commented

> >As the Catholic tradition is one that Charles Williams would call
> >"the way of affirmation of images", the Protestant tradition is
> >"the way of rejection of images," a feeling that no image of God
> >or his love can be adequate, and a commitment to go directly to the source.

> [that] seems to fit well with what I hear those inside the tradition
> speak to as important.  But I'm always left wondering about one small
> question:  where are all the Protestant mystics?

A "purely" Protestant sensibility might be inclined to raise difficult
questions about whether mystics do indeed "go directly to the source."

If one assumes without reservation, as mystics tend to do :-), that God
is "directly" approached in mystical experience, then one is left with
an apparent set of people (including Sufis, Buddhists and Christians)
who "go directly to" God (without passing Jail and collecting the Death
of Christ) while apparently the vast majority of those who put their
whole faith and trust in God are in some second class estate.  I am,
myself, sufficiently *un*Protestant that this question troubles me from
whatever side it is put, pro-mystic or anti-mystic.

But I think Cathy is somewhat misreading the implications Mr. Hedrick
has in mind (though her "test case" has to be dealt with sometime, I
don't think it is the main issue in defining Protestant spirituality.)

It is important for seeing the distinction Mr. Hedrick makes, to understand
his explicit contrast:  the way of affirmation of images VERSUS the way of
rejection of images.  The Protestant claim is that ALL images are false,
in some manner or another -- nothing matches God.  Catholic sensibility
recognizes the non-identity, but affirms value in the images nonetheless.
What kind of spirituality, then, develops out of rejecting images?

Well, there is a common outgrowth of Protestant spirituality -- and it is
exceptionally easy to parody (or from the inside to abuse in a totally
nonspiritual manner).  Namely, the worry about "superstition" in Catholic
practice is not merely a phobia or a straw man.  Protestant sensibilities
insist that God is BEHIND things, not IN them.  Mystical practices, as
well as liturgical practices or other "uses" can appear to a Protestant as
attempts at manipulating God -- or less culpably are merely irrelevant.
It is hard to distinguish seeing God everywhere from seeing everything as
(a) god.  Granted that is not the Catholic intent nor the result in the
practice of the great saints.  And most Protestant polemic *against*
Catholic practice is vitiated by contempt, prejudice, malice and any
number of other faults.

Protestant spirituality has two characteristics, both of which I think can
be seen easily in the psalms, which are overwhelmingly the most important
OT texts for most Protestants[*].  Domine, non sum dignus.  God is "known"
in His self-Revelation, but otherwise unknown, and we take refuge in pure
trust.  The transcendence and awesomeness of God then becomes incarnate in
*utterly non-numinous* ordinary experience.  Mysticism is seen as false, or
at best superficial; as a self-stoking psychologism that can lead as easily
to a self-manufactured god as to JHWH -- with a sneaking suspicion thrown
in that it NEVER in fact really leads to JHWH, that it is a "snare and a
delusion."  There is then joined to this a paradoxical (because without
rational foundation) belief that God's Word speaks in a direct and simple
way to ordinary people with no need of interpretation.  Again, I think that
if you read through the psalms with a mind to the ways Protestants talk
about God, you will see that much of their spirituality translates easily
into Protestant terms.  Those that have a clear reference to the Israelite
liturgy (e.g., journeying to Jerusalem for sacrifices in the Temple) get a
clear "translation" into important Protestant symbols like the pilgrimage
(not as a special matter of a vow or a penance, but as the very structure
of each Christian life.)  I open my Prayer Book at random, and what I see
is psalms 85 and 86, perfect expressions of Protestant spirituality; I
turn back to 84 and my eyes overflow with tears at remembrance of a tune
for this from the Scottish psalter.  The first scriptural texts I ever
learned by heart, as a very small child, were John 3:16 (typical fodder
for the evangelicals) and psalm 23.  THAT is Protestant spirituality;
that is the foundation of my relation to God.

Protestant spirituality is itself symbolic of its object -- God is the
wholly OTHER Father whose Incarnation redeems ordinary reality, but not
by making ordinary things "sacred" -- only the inaccessible One is sacred.
Catholics tend to "sacralize" everything, Protestants desacralize.  It will
appear to a Catholic that this "makes God more distant" but to a Protestant
it instead makes everything transparent, so that the Light of God shines
through, and we can then see it in our own darkness and fearful night.
Protestants "use" images of course (as I just did borrowing the image from
the proemium of John, or as psalm 23 does) -- but the images themselves
are invested with no "communication of attributes" onto our side of the
metaphor; all the "value" involved remains in the "source" -- which is,
I think, one crucial aspect of the distinction Mr. Hedrick draws.  At the
risk of *really* beating this into the ground, that implies that Protestants
will not grant their *own* spirituality any value, as such -- because
that too is no more than a symbolic expression, and the reality is God;
God's grace is not necessarily best expressed in "spiritual" people.
------
[*] The characteristic feature of early Protestant services (besides
    long sermons :-)) was the singing of psalms.  The vast majority
    of Protestant hymns, before the pietistic stuff of Baroque Germany,
    are psalm settings or paraphrases.  This remains true, I think, in
    most Protestant church practice.  One can practically define the
    development of different *styles* of Protestant spirituality by the
    different settings/paraphrases of psalm 23.  Extreme "reform" kinds
    of congregations accepted *nothing* in church but scripture reading
    and exposition and the singing of psalms.  Hymnody is the locus of all
    nonverbal Protestant spirituality, while the sermon is the locus of its
    verbal component.  And the sermon is a CHALLENGE to go and *live* the
    gospel.  Any acts that do not directly support that life are suspect.
--
Michael L. Siemon		I was ready to be sought by those
m.siemon@ATT.COM		    who did not ask for me;

[I agree with Michael completely on the central role of the psalms.  I
decided to take my own advice, and attempt a revitalization of my own
spiritual life.  Interestingly, where I chose to start was with a slow
and prayerful walk through the psalms.  I also note that the new
Presbyterian hymnbook returns to Reformed tradition by having a
section containing settings of almost all the psalms.  --clh]