[soc.religion.christian] gulf crisis

tom@dvnspc1.dev.unisys.com (Tom Albrecht) (09/17/90)

In article <Sep.13.02.45.26.1990.24138@athos.rutgers.edu> mls@sfsup.att.com (Mike Siemon) writes:
>For the love of God!  Paul is talking about *marriage*, about
>a lifelong union in one flesh.  Even if you do think of all
>non-Christians as "sevants of Belial" and spiritual enemies,
>are we not taught to pray *for* our enemies?  Is it really
>so hard to pray *with* them, for the peace of God?  You need
>not frame your prayers in non-Christian ways, you may wish
>to avoid public prayer with them in their forms or "on their
>terms" -- but surely if a non-Christian asks you for prayers,
>even out of a totally confused understanding of what prayer
>is for us, we cannot refuse without refusing the very Call of
>our Lord.

I agree with Michael.  Anyone who takes the idea of the priesthood of
all believers seriously cannot help but take up the call for
intercession on behalf of the world.  A priest is one who acts as a
representative.  In a covenantal sense, all Christians represent both
Christ to the world, and the world before the throne of Christ.  We
bring the gospel, and the Law of God, to a fallen world, and at the
same time interceed before the throne of grace on behalf of that
fallen world, asking for divine intervention, "Thy kingdom come, Thy
will be done on earth as it is in heaven."  Jesus is our supreme
example in this regard.  He showed the Father to the world, and
represents His people before the judgement throne of God.

--
Tom Albrecht