[soc.religion.christian] False gods and bad gods

lionti@ecs.umass.edu (09/18/90)

nlt@duke.cs.duke.edu (N. L. Tinkham) writes:
> What is the history of the belief that adherents of polytheistic religions
> worship demons?  The _CT_ writer said merely that the belief was held in
> Biblical times, but this seems overly simple to me:  Paul's discussion of
> meat offered to idols, for instance, suggests that Paul thought of idols
> not as demons but as images of nonexistent deities.  So, how far back does
> one find the belief that the gods of other religions are demons rather than,
> say, nonexistent entities or flawed perceptions of the one God?  And has it
> ever been an "official" belief of Christianity, or has it coexisted with
> other, equally orthodox, views?

I don't know about the historical aspects of this question, but I would
definitely say that the present Catholic(post Vatican II) view is that the other
religions are NOT officially said to worship demons.  To further this
premise, I include some quotes from "Vatican Council II, The Conciliar and
Post Conciliar Documents", ed. Austin Flannery, O.P. 1988 revised ed.:

"Declaration on the Relation of the Church to Non-Christian Religions"
Vatican II, _Nostra Aetate_, 28 October, 1965

1."Men look to their different religions for an answer to the unsolved riddles
of human existence.  The problems that weigh heavily on the hearts of men are
the same today as in the ages past."... [these (...) are put in by me]

2. "Throughout history even to the present day, there is found among different
peoples a certain awareness of a hidden power, which lies behind the course of
nature and the events of human life...in Hinduism men explore the divine mystery
and express it both in the limitless riches of myth and the accurately defined
insights of philosophy...Buddhism in its various form testifies to the essential
inadequacy of this changing world...other religions which are found throughout
the world attempt in their own ways to calm the hearts of men by outlining a
program of life covering doctrine, moral precepts and sacred rites."
     ***"The Catholic Church rejects nothing of what is true and holy in these
religions.  She has a high regard for the manner of life and conduct, the
precepts and doctrines which, although differing in many ways from her own
teaching, nevertheless often reflect a ray of that truth which enlightens
all men.  Yet she proclaims and is in duty bound to proclaim without fail,
Christ who is the way, the truth and the life (Jn. 1:6)."***
	"The Church, therefore, urges her sons to enter with prudence and
charity into discussion and collaboration with members of other religions.
Let Christians, while witnessing to their own faith and way of life, acknow-
ledge, preserve and encourage the spiritual and moral truths found among
non-Christians, also their social life and culture."

The numbers refer to sections, which usually run about 2-3 paragraphs
in English.  My guess is that this is a break found in the original
Latin the documents were written in.

I'd say this suggests that the Roman Catholic Church would definitely
frown on the "demons as 'gods' idea", especially the part marked by *'s

As I was typing this in, I realized it has alot to say about the "should
we pray with the New Agers" thread.

For Catholics and non-Catholics alike I can't reccomend this book more
highly.  ISBN: 0-918344-15-8, Costello Publishing Co., Inc., P.O. Box 9
Northport, New York 11768.  I got my copy for $10 (paperback).  They also
put out a "study" edition.

Eric C. McClure
lionti@umaecs.bitnet
Standard Disclaimer

[In the Institutes Calvin seems to allude to the concept that
similarities between the Bible and pagan works indicate that Satan was
trying to foist an imitation on mankind.  A footnote supplied by the
editor says "Calvin may have had in mind here the assertion of Justin
Martyr that the demons deceived the ancient pagans by inventing
imitations of the prophetic revelations pointing to Christ. Apologia
I. lx-lxiv."  I don't know enough about patristics to know whether
this was the universal view.  However it seems likely, given the
consistent position against pagan gods taken by the OT prophets, which
presumably would have been inherited by Christianity.  I Cor 10:20
says that pagans offer their sacrifices to demons.

--clh]