[soc.religion.christian] Mormonism and Christianity

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) (08/30/90)

Is Mormonism a branch of Christianity?

One way to approach this question is to set out basic Christian
doctrine, lay alongside it Mormon doctrine, and compare the two.
That's what I propose to do here, but the task is not an easy one.

First, what is basic Christian doctrine?  We have argued in this
group about many Christian topics, and do not agree on much of
it: the Assumption, whether the Mass is a sacrifice, whether
Scripture is infallible, and lots more.  That tells me I cannot
start with the catechism of one group.  Moreover, I can't start
with scripture either, since that leaves me vulnerable to the
claim that our scriptures have been hopelessly corrupted by
successive translations (I may think that claim bogus, but
others don't).

The one remaining piece of solid ground, around which I think
most Christian sects would gather, is the Apostles' Creed, most
of which most of us believe most of the time.

Secondly, what is Mormon doctrine?  That's tougher.  Mormonism,
you see, is a mystery religion, and like all such it has an
exoteric doctrine and one or more levels of esoteric doctrine;
these do not always agree - indeed are designed not always to
agree.  In addition, the doctrine underwent a major change
after 1844, when the teachings of Joseph Smith were superseded
by those of Brigham Young.  The doctrines of the former make
up the core of the exoteric, or public teaching, and are preserved
almost intact by the Reorganized Church.  The secret doctrines
are largely the work of the latter.

With some trepidation, I propose to take as the essential doctrine
the teaching that underpins the Temple ceremonies, since that is
considered most important by the Mormons themselves.

Finally, this comparison deliberately takes the Apostles' Creed as
the standard, and compares Mormon doctrine to it.  The reader is
advised that the result is not a complete, accurate or fair
presentation of Mormonism, any more that a similar exercise using
Hindu doctrine would be a fair portrayal of Hinduism.  It seeks only
to answer the question, can Mormonism reasonably be considered a
branch of Christianity, and in my opinion answers it in the negative.

--------

1.  I believe in God, the Father Almighty,

No.  The being who was the father of Jesus, to whom Mormons
pay reverence, is finite, bounded in space and time, and one
of many such beings.  There are speculations about higher gods,
singular or plural, just as there were in pagan Antiquity,
but by any reasonable criterion this is polytheism.

Moreover, this god evolved from a manlike being, and men can
evolve into godlike beings of equal stature with the Father.

2.  Maker of heaven and earth:

No.  the universe is pre-existent, and gods evolve within it.
Each god creates his own earth, but even here the gods who
created this earth (named Jehovah and Michael) did not do so
ex nihilo, but rather formed it from chaotic matter, just as
did Marduk in the Babylonian creation epic.

3.  And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord,

No.  Jesus is not the only son; in particular Lucifer is his
brother.  Neither is he Lord; we (if we are good Mormons) shall
evolve into beings independent of him and higher than he.

4.  Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,

No.  This one they are very reticent about, but the secret doctrine
is that Jesus' incarnation followed the same pattern as that of
Herakles or Siegmund: God the Father took on physical form, came
down to earth, and impregnated Mary by an act of physical copulation.

5.  Born of the Virgin Mary,

No.  See above.

6.  Suffered under Pontius Pilate,

Yes.

7.  Was crucified, dead, and buried,

Yes.

8.  He descended into hell;

Not quite - but a lot of Christians have trouble with this one, so
I'll pass.

9.  The third day he rose again from the dead,

No.  There was no physical resurrection; Jesus appeared to his
disciples, and later to the inhabitants of the New World, in a
spiritual body.  The same body, in fact, that he departed to
become incarnate.

10. He ascended into heaven,

No.  There is no one heaven; there are several spiritual planes
of existence, divided into regious under the sway of different
gods.

11. And sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty;

Yes, if we omit the word 'Almighty',

12. From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

No.  There is no last judgement: we continue to evolve even after
death, on various spiritual planes.  Moreover, the dead can make
progress through the actions of their incarnate descendents.

13. I believe in the Holy Ghost;

No.  For public consumption, the Holy Ghost is described as
a spirit personage; the inner doctrine is that it is a metaphor
for a certain kind of spiritual power.

14. The holy Catholick Church;

No, obviously.

15. The Communion of Saints;

No.  Of all aspects of Mormon doctrine, this is the strangest, and
to this writer the most distasteful.  Much Mormon ritual is concerned
with the organization of beings, living and dead, into power
relationships.  Thus, women are sealed to men, dead ancestors to
living descendents, and children to parents.  In all cases, this
renders the one sealed eternally subservient to the sealer.  There
is neither community nor equality: each strives to evolve into
the god of his own world, at the apex of an hierarchy of beings
bound to obedience.

16. The Forgiveness of sins;

No.  The Mormon doctrine is that sins must be atoned for by the
blood of the sinner.

17. The Resurrection of the body,

No.  There is no physical resurrection: the dead resume the
spiritual bodies they had before birth.

18. And the life everlasting.

Yes.

--------

Robert Firth

jwindley@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Jay Windley) (09/02/90)

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:

|Is Mormonism a branch of Christianity?

Strictly, the LDS would not claim to be a "branch" of Christianity.
Rather, we are a restoration of the church that Christ founded and
which the Apostles preached.

|One way to approach this question is to set out basic Christian
|doctrine, lay alongside it Mormon doctrine, and compare the two.
|That's what I propose to do here, but the task is not an easy one.
[...]
|The one remaining piece of solid ground, around which I think
|most Christian sects would gather, is the Apostles' Creed, most
|of which most of us believe most of the time.

|Secondly, what is Mormon doctrine?  That's tougher.  Mormonism,
|you see, is a mystery religion, and like all such it has an
|exoteric doctrine and one or more levels of esoteric doctrine;
|these do not always agree - indeed are designed not always to
|agree.  In addition, the doctrine underwent a major change
|after 1844, when the teachings of Joseph Smith were superseded
|by those of Brigham Young.  The doctrines of the former make
|up the core of the exoteric, or public teaching, and are preserved
|almost intact by the Reorganized Church.  The secret doctrines
|are largely the work of the latter.

While I would normally take issue with the above, I would only say
that Robert's comparison is already doomed.  The Apostles' Creed was
set down centuries ago, with only the written scriptures and the
medieval Christian tradition as its basis (not to mention endless
theological and philosophical entanglements).  LDS doctrine derives
from the classical Judeo-Christian scripture, modern scripture not
accepted by other Christians, and to a lesser extent the teachings
of present-day prophets.

|With some trepidation, I propose to take as the essential doctrine
|the teaching that underpins the Temple ceremonies, since that is
|considered most important by the Mormons themselves.

|Finally, this comparison deliberately takes the Apostles' Creed as
|the standard, and compares Mormon doctrine to it.  The reader is
|advised that the result is not a complete, accurate or fair
|presentation of Mormonism, any more that a similar exercise using
|Hindu doctrine would be a fair portrayal of Hinduism.  It seeks only
|to answer the question, can Mormonism reasonably be considered a
|branch of Christianity, and in my opinion answers it in the negative.

If Robert's presentation of "Mormonism" is not "complete, accurate, [and]
fair", why should anyone consider his Gedankteksperiment of any value?
If I (as a Mormon) made a comparison using incomplete, inaccurate,
and biased information about some other sect, the whole of net.land
would cry 'foul!'

|--------

|1.  I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
|No.  The being who was the father of Jesus, to whom Mormons
|pay reverence, is finite, bounded in space and time, and one
|of many such beings.  There are speculations about higher gods,
|singular or plural, just as there were in pagan Antiquity,
|but by any reasonable criterion this is polytheism.

We believe God is finite only in His physical form.  His tangibility
is bounded in space, but not in time; He is eternal.  His wisdom,
intelligence, power, and all such intangible qualities are unbounded
and infinite and extend far beyond our own understanding.  Much
scripture suggests that God's physical form is finite, and historical
evidence suggests that this is similar to the beliefs of the early
Christians.

Speculation does not make doctrine.

|Moreover, this god evolved from a manlike being, and men can
|evolve into godlike beings of equal stature with the Father.

Are we not commanded to "be perfect" even as God is?  Since the doctrine
of eternal progression comes from recent revelation, one would expect not
to find it in the Creed.

Polytheism is the worship of more than one god.  There is another -theism
whose name escapes me which more accurately describes the LDS view of
God; namely, that we worship one God, but do not deny the existence of
others.  [henotheism --clh]

|2.  Maker of heaven and earth:
|No.  the universe is pre-existent, and gods evolve within it.
|Each god creates his own earth, but even here the gods who
|created this earth (named Jehovah and Michael) did not do so
|ex nihilo, but rather formed it from chaotic matter, just as
|did Marduk in the Babylonian creation epic.

Creatio ex nihilo is not a universal Christian doctrine.  The word 'barah'
does not mean 'to create from nothing' or 'to bring into existence.'  It
means 'to form,' 'to organize,' or 'to build.'  All these imply the
existence of prime matter.  The LDS position is most tenable.

|3.  And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord,
|No.  Jesus is not the only son; in particular Lucifer is his
|brother.  Neither is he Lord; we (if we are good Mormons) shall
|evolve into beings independent of him and higher than he.

If Jesus is the only son of God, why is God referred to as our Father?
We believe that Jesus is the only *begotten* Son of God, meaning
the only person who did not have a mortal father.
The last sentence is blatantly *not* LDS doctrine.  We are never
independent of God, and always subordinate to Him in glory.

|4.  Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,
|No.  This one they are very reticent about, but the secret doctrine
|is that Jesus' incarnation followed the same pattern as that of
|Herakles or Siegmund: God the Father took on physical form, came
|down to earth, and impregnated Mary by an act of physical copulation.

Robert's misrepresentation of LDS doctrine has crossed the line from
inaccurate to offensive.  This statement has not one whit of LDS
doctrine in it.  There is no "secret" doctrine which states or implies
that Jesus was conceived in an act of sexual intercourse.

Robert's ignorance of LDS doctrine seriously undermines our faith in him
as a competent reviewer of our faith.

|5.  Born of the Virgin Mary,

|No.  See above.

We believe Mary was a virgin at the time of Jesus' birth.  We do believe
that she later had children by Joseph in the customary fashion, thus did
not remain a virgin to her death.

|8.  He descended into hell;
|Not quite - but a lot of Christians have trouble with this one, so
|I'll pass.

It hinges on how one defines hell.  Since our definition does not agree
with some Christian tenets, our interpretation I Peter 3:18-20 may not
agree.

|9.  The third day he rose again from the dead,
|No.  There was no physical resurrection; Jesus appeared to his
|disciples, and later to the inhabitants of the New World, in a
|spiritual body.  The same body, in fact, that he departed to
|become incarnate.

Once again Robert's knowledge of LDS doctrine is inadequate.  We
believe that Christ resurrected on the third day, meaning he
took up His body, which was made incorruptible.  We believe His
appearances to His disciples, to Mary, to the travelers to Emaus,
and to the Nephites in the New World were made as a physically
resurrected being.

|10. He ascended into heaven,
|No.  There is no one heaven; there are several spiritual planes
|of existence, divided into regious under the sway of different
|gods.

Paul was caught up to the "third heaven."  Does not this imply the
existence of two others?  Robert's description is rather wrong, but
this is not the issue.  We believe that Jesus ascended to the third
heaven, where God dwells.

|11. And sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
|Yes, if we omit the word 'Almighty',

Why?  LDS believe in the omnipotence of God.

|12. From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
|No.  There is no last judgement: we continue to evolve even after
|death, on various spiritual planes.  Moreover, the dead can make
|progress through the actions of their incarnate descendents.

Patently false.  The final judgement, performed by Christ, will
assign us to a "spiritual plane" (or 'degree of glory', as LDS
terminology has it).  All vicarous work for the dead must be done
before this judgement.  We will have opportunity to progress only
within our degree of glory; passing to a higher degree is not
possible.

|13. I believe in the Holy Ghost;
|No.  For public consumption, the Holy Ghost is described as
|a spirit personage; the inner doctrine is that it is a metaphor
|for a certain kind of spiritual power.

So far Robert's "inner doctrines" have nothing to do with LDS teachings.
At all levels, the Holy Ghost is a spirit personage who testifies of
the truth.

|15. The Communion of Saints;
|No.  Of all aspects of Mormon doctrine, this is the strangest, and
|to this writer the most distasteful.  Much Mormon ritual is concerned
|with the organization of beings, living and dead, into power
|relationships.  Thus, women are sealed to men, dead ancestors to
|living descendents, and children to parents.  In all cases, this
|renders the one sealed eternally subservient to the sealer.  There
|is neither community nor equality: each strives to evolve into
|the god of his own world, at the apex of an hierarchy of beings
|bound to obedience.

"Power relationship" is misleading.  Sealing work for the dead unites
families forever, but not in a power hierarchy.  It is most analogous
to an earthly family.  I obeyed my father because I knew he was older
and wiser than I, not because I was "bound to obedience."

Perhaps LDS doctrines seem distasteful because Robert doesn't under-
stand them.

|16. The Forgiveness of sins;
|No.  The Mormon doctrine is that sins must be atoned for by the
|blood of the sinner.

Not exactly.  The hairsplit neglects to mention that this is the case
only for the unrepentent and deliberate sinner.  Those who repent are
eligible for the mercy of God unto the forgiveness of sins.

|17. The Resurrection of the body,
|No.  There is no physical resurrection: the dead resume the
|spiritual bodies they had before birth.

Blatantly, obviously false.  One of the most well-known doctrines of
the LDS church is that we will all be physically resurrected.

|--------

If you inserted "begotten" between "only" and "Son", and omitted the
Communion of the Saints clause, nearly all LDS would find the Apostle's
Creed quite palatable.  Since this was to be Robert's basis of determining
one's "Christianity," the LDS church passes with at least as many flying
colors as most Protestant faiths.  The problem seems to be that Robert
has given us a completely inaccurate view of LDS doctrine (as promised)
and then lamented when these imaginings do not agree with a predominantly
Catholic doctrine.

He seems also to want to equate LDS precepts with 'pagan' teachings.
There are many similarities between 'pagan' dogmas and Christian
principles, which does not prove that one derives from the other.  He
is just trying to create a problem where none exists.

For the hundredth time, the LDS church is a Christian church.  We
believe in Jesus Christ, that He is the Son of God, that through His
atonement we may be saved, and that He died and rose again from the
grave.  We teach what we believe are His doctrines.  We allow all men
to worship as they see fit, though we would share our religion with
them.
--
Jay Windley - CIS Dept. - Kansas State University
NET: jwindley@matt.ksu.ksu.edu  VOICE: (913) 532-5968  FAX: (913) 532-6722

[Actually, the Apostles' Creed is a bit older than you indicate.  I
don't have the information here to establish a date, but I think it's
3rd Cent. or before.  Thus it generally involves the technical terms
used in later discussions.  It's very unlikely that it actually goes
back to the apostles.  There are a number of baptismal creeds from the
2nd and 3rd cents., with slight variations in different areas.  The
Apostle's Creed seems to be related to them.  It certainly isn't based
on medieval sources, though, since it's quite a bit earlier.  I would
think that you could interpret "communion of saints" in an acceptable
manner, if that's your only problem.  --clh]

hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) (09/02/90)

In article <Aug.30.00.34.58.1990.22803@athos.rutgers.edu> firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:

>Is Mormonism a branch of Christianity?

I am not greatly concerned if Robert or any other man thinks I a
Christian or not.  What counts is my relationship with God and his
judgement on me.  However this his posting contains rather severe
distortions of LDS (Mormon) doctrine so I feel compelled to respond.

>One way to approach this question is to set out basic Christian
>doctrine, lay alongside it Mormon doctrine, and compare the two.
>That's what I propose to do here, but the task is not an easy one.

Not as hard as you claim although I agree that you have failed.

>First, what is basic Christian doctrine?  We have argued in this
>group about many Christian topics, and do not agree on much of
>it: the Assumption, whether the Mass is a sacrifice, whether
>Scripture is infallible, and lots more.  That tells me I cannot
>start with the catechism of one group.  Moreover, I can't start
>with scripture either, since that leaves me vulnerable to the
>claim that our scriptures have been hopelessly corrupted by
>successive translations (I may think that claim bogus, but
>others don't).

Actually few LDS would claim that our scriptures have been
"hopelessly corrupted."  While we think there are a few errors, they
are generally quite reliable.  The problem is that different people
interpret them differently.  We may agree to believe the Bible but
we will probably not agree on what some passages really mean.

>The one remaining piece of solid ground, around which I think
>most Christian sects would gather, is the Apostles' Creed, most
>of which most of us believe most of the time.

I don't know what fraction of Christians accept the Apostle's Creed
but I for one would not put it on the same plane with scripture.  I
think it is the product of men (good men, but men nevertheless)
trying to define their beliefs.  I do not accept it as binding.

>Secondly, what is Mormon doctrine?  That's tougher.  Mormonism,
>you see, is a mystery religion, and like all such it has an
>exoteric doctrine and one or more levels of esoteric doctrine;
>these do not always agree - indeed are designed not always to
>agree.  In addition, the doctrine underwent a major change
>after 1844, when the teachings of Joseph Smith were superseded
>by those of Brigham Young.  The doctrines of the former make
>up the core of the exoteric, or public teaching, and are preserved
>almost intact by the Reorganized Church.  The secret doctrines
>are largely the work of the latter.

The above paragraph is total garbage.  There is no secret doctrine
in the LDS Church and I can't think of any major teachings not
originally taught by Joseph Smith (although of course clarifications
have come from later prophets).  Sorry for the strong wording but
let's call a spade a spade.  If you want to discuss this, trot out
your evidence.

>With some trepidation, I propose to take as the essential doctrine
>the teaching that underpins the Temple ceremonies, since that is
>considered most important by the Mormons themselves.

Unfortunately you demonstrate a profound ignorance of these
teachings.  All of them point to Jesus Christ and what he did for
us.

>Finally, this comparison deliberately takes the Apostles' Creed as
>the standard, and compares Mormon doctrine to it.  The reader is
>advised that the result is not a complete, accurate or fair
>presentation of Mormonism,
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, we definitely agree here!

>--------

>1.  I believe in God, the Father Almighty,

>No.  The being who was the father of Jesus, to whom Mormons
>pay reverence, is finite, bounded in space and time, and one
>of many such beings.  There are speculations about higher gods,
>singular or plural, just as there were in pagan Antiquity,
>but by any reasonable criterion this is polytheism.

Quite distorted.

I have answered this charge before in this forum, within the last 2
months so probably should not spend the bandwidth on it now.  If you
want my answer, email me and I will send it to you.

>Moreover, this god evolved from a manlike being, and men can
>evolve into godlike beings of equal stature with the Father.

We believe we will never be equal to the Father.

>2.  Maker of heaven and earth:

>No.  the universe is pre-existent, and gods evolve within it.
>Each god creates his own earth, but even here the gods who
>created this earth (named Jehovah and Michael) did not do so
>ex nihilo, but rather formed it from chaotic matter, just as
>did Marduk in the Babylonian creation epic.

Rather distorted.  Even then the Hebrew word translated "create" in
Genesis has about the same meaning as our word "make."  Creating
from existing material fits quite nicely.  The ex nihilo creation is
not at all necessary to the Biblical text.

>3.  And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord,

>No.  Jesus is not the only son; in particular Lucifer is his
>brother.  Neither is he Lord; we (if we are good Mormons) shall
>evolve into beings independent of him and higher than he.

No!  We will never be higher than Jesus!  While we believe we were
all spirit children of God, Jesus is the only person ever born on
this earth as direct offspring of Heavenly Father.

>4.  Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,

>No.  This one they are very reticent about, but the secret doctrine
>is that Jesus' incarnation followed the same pattern as that of
>Herakles or Siegmund: God the Father took on physical form, came
>down to earth, and impregnated Mary by an act of physical copulation.

Once again you (or more likely Walter Martin whom you are probably
quoting) take a little misunderstanding and blow it all out of
proportion.  Are you claiming that Jesus was not the son of God the
Father but of the Holy Ghost?  I think that Matthew's statement that
Mary was with child of the Holy Ghost means that only through the
power of the Holy Ghost could she be impregnated by the Father.  The
Father is Jesus' father in the flesh.  As for physical copulation,
it is not part of LDS doctrine (although some speculation to that
effect was printed and of course siezed upon by Martin as absolute
doctrine since it fit his purpose).

>5.  Born of the Virgin Mary,

>No.  See above.

Wrong again.  See above.

(stuff deleted where Robert sees no problems with the LDS position)

>8.  Descended into Hell.

>Not quite - but a lot of Christians have trouble with this one, so
>I'll pass.

Interesting.  You have put this creed up as the test of Christianity
but now you say a lot of Christians have trouble with this so it
doesn't count!

However, LDS belief is that Jesus did descend into what we might
call "Hell" and preach to the people there.  I've had conversations
with people who seem to be quite knowledgable about this belief in
the Roman Catholic Church and our beliefs are quite similar.

>9.  The third day he rose again from the dead,

>No.  There was no physical resurrection; Jesus appeared to his
>disciples, and later to the inhabitants of the New World, in a
>spiritual body.  The same body, in fact, that he departed to
>become incarnate.

Absolutely 100% wrong!  Where did you get this trash?  LDS belief is
that he was physically resurrected and that when he appeared to the
New World inhabitants he even allowed them to feel the wounds in his
hands and side.

>10. He ascended into heaven,

>No.  There is no one heaven; there are several spiritual planes
>of existence, divided into regions under the sway of different
>gods.

Totally wrong!

>11. And sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty;

>Yes, if we omit the word 'Almighty',

No, we don't need to omit the word 'Almighty.'

>12. From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

>No.  There is no last judgement: we continue to evolve even after
>death, on various spiritual planes.  Moreover, the dead can make
>progress through the actions of their incarnate descendents.

More distortion.  We definitely believe he will come to judge the
quick and the dead.

>13. I believe in the Holy Ghost;

>No.  For public consumption, the Holy Ghost is described as
>a spirit personage; the inner doctrine is that it is a metaphor
>for a certain kind of spiritual power.

This is a bald-faced lie.

>14. The holy Catholick Church;

>No, obviously.

Of course this also excludes Protestants (except maybe Anglicans)
from Christianity.  Maybe the Apostle's Creed isn't such a good test
of who is a Christian as you claim.

>15. The Communion of Saints;

>No.  Of all aspects of Mormon doctrine, this is the strangest, and
>to this writer the most distasteful.  Much Mormon ritual is concerned
>with the organization of beings, living and dead, into power
>relationships.  Thus, women are sealed to men, dead ancestors to
>living descendents, and children to parents.  In all cases, this
>renders the one sealed eternally subservient to the sealer.  There
>is neither community nor equality: each strives to evolve into
>the god of his own world, at the apex of an hierarchy of beings
>bound to obedience.

More distortion.  The relationships are family relationships and LDS
doctrine clearly teaches that "power" comes through love, patience,
long-suffering and kindness.  See Doctrine and Covenants section
121.

>16. The Forgiveness of sins;

>No.  The Mormon doctrine is that sins must be atoned for by the
>blood of the sinner.

Wrong again.  Cindy Smith posted the same charge and I answered it,
again within the last 2 months.

>17. The Resurrection of the body,

>No.  There is no physical resurrection: the dead resume the
>spiritual bodies they had before birth.

Again totally wrong.  We quite clearly teach that the resurrection
is a reuniting of the spirit (which we had before birth) and a
purified, immortal body.

>18. And the life everlasting.

>Yes.

Robert, I think you have demonstrated the dangers of getting your
ideas of somebody's beliefs only from their enemies.  Your posting
shows almost no understanding of LDS doctrine.  In fact I recognize
most of it as standard stuff put out my "Mormon-bashers," most
notably of late by Walter Martin and someone named Decker whose
first name I don't remember.  If you really want to know what we
believe you ought to also read something like _A Marvelous Work and
a Wonder_ by LeGrande Richards.  You should also of course read the
Book of Mormon, commenting on our beliefs without reading it is like
commenting on Jewish beliefs without reading the Pentatuch.

term catholic means universal.  The creed is used by Protestants as
well as Roman Catholics.  For Protestants, the meaning of this clause
in the creed is that the real Church is one, united by its common
unity with Christ, whatever disunity may exist among church
organizations.  It is certainly confusing for the term catholic to be
used both in its original meaning of universal and to refer to a
specific church tradition, but if you know the history it's easy to
see where both usages came from. It isn't the only word to have
multiple meanings.  --clh]

David.Anderson@cs.cmu.edu (09/02/90)

Lynn, here. Just a short selection to showthe kind of accuracy Mr. Firth
represents in his latest posting:

> Excerpts from netnews.soc.religion.christian: 30-Aug-90 Mormonism and
> Christianity Robert Firth@sei.cmu.edu (5656)

> 9.  The third day he rose again from the dead,

> No.  There was no physical resurrection; Jesus appeared to his
> disciples, and later to the inhabitants of the New World, in a
> spiritual body.  The same body, in fact, that he departed to
> become incarnate.

Nonsense. LDS believe Christ was physically resurrected--and that the
2,500 or so "Americans" physically touched Christ's *physical*,
resurrected body (touching the prints of the nails and the wound in His
side).

> 13. I believe in the Holy Ghost;

> No.  For public consumption, the Holy Ghost is described as
> a spirit personage; the inner doctrine is that it is a metaphor
> for a certain kind of spiritual power.

More baloney. LDS doctrine *clearly* teaches that the Holy Ghost is a
personage--there is no "inner [metaphorical] doctrine." Where *do* you
get this stuff, Mr. Firth?

gt1104c@prism.gatech.edu (SILVERT,STANLEY DAVID JR) (09/04/90)

In article <Sep.1.23.50.15.1990.6733@athos.rutgers.edu> hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) writes:
>In article <Aug.30.00.34.58.1990.22803@athos.rutgers.edu> firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:
>>Is Mormonism a branch of Christianity?

>>15. The Communion of Saints;

>>relationships.  Thus, women are sealed to men, dead ancestors to
>>living descendents, and children to parents.  In all cases, this
>>renders the one sealed eternally subservient to the sealer.  There

>More distortion.  The relationships are family relationships and LDS
>doctrine clearly teaches that "power" comes through love, patience,
>long-suffering and kindness.  See Doctrine and Covenants section
>121.

I don't know if these are considered "power" relationships or not, but I do
find them in conflict with the teachings of Jesus.  It is my understanding that
sealing a man with a wife in the LDS church will cause them to be married in
heaven.  However, Jesus teaches in Luke 20:27-40 (also found in Matt and Mark)
that people in heaven can not be married at all.

Am I misinformed about LDS doctrine?  If not, how do Mormons deal with this
passage?

--
Stan Silvert
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt1104c

bralick@osgiliath.endor.cs.psu.edu (Will Bralick) (09/04/90)

In article <Sep.1.23.50.15.1990.6733@athos.rutgers.edu> hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) writes:
| In article <Aug.30.00.34.58.1990.22803@athos.rutgers.edu> firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:
| >Moreover, this god evolved from a manlike being, and men can
| >evolve into godlike beings of equal stature with the Father.
|
| We believe we will never be equal to the Father.

I guess I wonder whom the father worships.  If he was "once as we are"
(which I don't think you have repudiated) then he worshipped (and perhaps
still does) some god, too.  I guess I would tend to worship the top god
in the chain (the least upper bound if there is no top (i.e. an infinite
chain of gods)).

| >3.  And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord,
			       ~~~~

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| all spirit children of God, Jesus is the only person ever born on
| this earth as direct offspring of Heavenly Father.

Note that Robert stated the part of the Apostles' Creed that makes
the doctrinal point that Jesus is the _only_ Son of God.  He then
went on to try to establish LDS doctrine as a counterpoint to it --
Hal then disagreed with Robert's interpretation of LDS doctrine, but
_not_ with the main point that the Mormon religion does _not_ believe
that Jesus is the _only_ Son of God.

I wonder about the concept of the "spirit children" --  note, BTW, that
it does _not_ say spirit _creation_ -- so how is this spirit_father-
spirit_child relationship formed?  A Mormon friend of mine once said
to me when explaining Mormon doctrine that:

    Our spirits are the children of his spirit; our bodies,
    however, are not (except in the case of Jesus, who also
    happens to be his first born).  (Incidentally, who is
    the mother?  The general belief is that yes, there is
    one, but we don't talk much about Her.)

So my friend suggested that there is a spirit_mother also.  Is this
doctrinal?  If not then why is the term _children_ used instead
of _creation_?

Regards,

--
Will                                            bralick@sol4.cs.psu.edu

It was a curious idea ... that the Church should adapt the faith to suit
the world rather than the other way around, or that the "contemporary"

[If you recall, Hal said he would agree to saying that Christ is God's
only begotten Son.  He considers the word "begotten" essential.  The
term "child of God" is used in a variety of metaphorical and
metaphysical senses.  The term "begotten" is traditionally used to
define the specific sense in which it is used of Christ.  So verbally
at least I think there is no problem with Hal's statement.  Rather
than continuing the somewhat inquisitorial tone that the discussion
has had so far, I'd like simply to ask one of our LDS correspondents
for a brief description of their concept of God, his relationship to
Christ and to others (including Adam, Lucifer, and other humans -- I
mention Lucifer specifically because of various comments that have
been made here, and Adam because that seems a good test case), and
their concept of humans, including any idea of preexistence and their
future as "gods" (whatever that means).  From what I know of LDS
doctrine, the primary area in which there is a distinction from
classical Christian doctrine is this one.  What I've gathered so far
from LDS postings here and in talk.religion.misc is that they do not
see the Father, Son, and humans as being different kinds of entity.
However the practical effects of this may not be as serious as it
could seem, since they seem to still retain God as creator and ruler
of this universe, and acknowledge us as being entirely dependent upon
him.  Where the difference is most likely to come home to roost is in
Christology.  In orthodox theology Christ is both eternal Son of God,
begotten before all worlds, and the son of Mary, born in Palestine
2000 years ago.  It's unclear to me how LDS theology deals with this,
though I can imagine some ways.  --clh]

fuzzy@portia.stanford.edu (Daniel Zappala) (09/04/90)

In article <Sep.1.23.50.15.1990.6733@athos.rutgers.edu> hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) writes:
>In article <Aug.30.00.34.58.1990.22803@athos.rutgers.edu> firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:
>
>>Is Mormonism a branch of Christianity?

[deleted Robert Firth's comparision of the Apostles Creed and his
 perception of LDS beliefs, along with Hal Lillywhite's commentary
 on his distortions and inaccuracies.]

[Robert then makes the following comment:]

>Robert, I think you have demonstrated the dangers of getting your
>ideas of somebody's beliefs only from their enemies.  Your posting
>shows almost no understanding of LDS doctrine.  In fact I recognize
>most of it as standard stuff put out my "Mormon-bashers," most
>notably of late by Walter Martin and someone named Decker whose
>first name I don't remember.  If you really want to know what we
>believe you ought to also read something like _A Marvelous Work and
>a Wonder_ by LeGrande Richards.  You should also of course read the
>Book of Mormon, commenting on our beliefs without reading it is like
>commenting on Jewish beliefs without reading the Pentatuch.

As a Catholic who is sincerely investigating the LDS faith, I would
like to comment on this.  I cannot possibly express the wideness of
the gulf between popular anti-Mormon books and actual Mormon beliefs.
For the past 4 months I have explored everything from doctrinal issues
to the historical rise of the LDS church.  I have inquired of
authorities from the Catholic Church and the LDS church, and read
dozens of books published by the LDS Church (including the Book of
Mormon and the Doctrine And Covenants) and non-LDS members.

This weekend, I finally decided to read _The_God_Makers_, a
much-publicized "true account" of what the LDS church is "really"
like, by Decker.  I laughed at first.  In order to best explain its
character, I would liken it to the Enquirer's investigation of Elvis'
death.  The scholarship is awful, and the the book even attempts to
link the LDS church to Satanism. That book errs greatly on the side of
gross misinformation.  It includes lots of distortion of actual
doctrine to link it tentatively to reality.

out the inaccuracies and distortions which have been propagated on the
net.  Anyone who wishes to sincerely discover what the LDS church
believes can take a simple step: visit a library at a major
university.  I have looked at Stanford and USC, and found to my
delight rows upon rows of books, published both by the Church and by
non-church members who are less biased in their assessment.  In this
latter category, you can find serious discussions of Mormon beliefs,
although you will have to weed out some of the more flagrant examples
of prejudice.  You will also find volumes containing the teachings of
the modern prophets of the church, so you can discover what they said
for yourself.  Most importantly, you will find books that clearly lay
out their beliefs for anyone to see.  There is no secrecy here.

If you are more bold, find some missionaries and talk to them.  Look
up a bishop in the phone book and call him.  The members of the LDS
church are by no means afraid to talk about their faith and explain
their beliefs to others.  You will find their frankness in direct
contrast to the supposed "secret cult" image that some people have
spread around.

The book _A_Marvelous_Work_And_A_Wonder_, mentioned above, is a
great place to start reading.  I will sometime later post a list
of the books I have read and found to be useful.

I guess my point is that if you are really sincere about finding
out what the LDS church believes, then you will clearly see the
falsehoods rampant in anti-Mormon literature, regardless of
whether you are remotely interested in converting.

Daniel Zappala

barry1@ihlpa.att.com (Barry O Olson) (09/14/90)

> Lets have some intelligent and meaningful discussion of LDS doctrines and
> believes, instead of mudslinging.

I think a major obstacle to understanding is the lds claim to Joseph
S as a prophet. Many have convincing evidence that Joseph is not prophet
as defined by orthodox christianity.
Early documents that cast doubt on his authenticity are usually brushed
aside by lds people as minor discepancies or not note-worthy.

As one who takes it serious, i take offense at being so loosely brushed
aside, and ususally branded an enemy. Of course, anyone who can't see
the truth of the prophet Joseph cannot be led by God, so why take anyone
of this type seriously?(alittle sarcasm there).
I have found the church leaders and historians when writing their own
history make liberal changes here and there to polish the history for
public consumption with little regard for explanation, or brutal honesty.
This leads me to believe the church accepts _the end result justifies the
means_ principle, and is not honest.

barry olson

farkas@qual.eng.sun.com (Frank Farkas) (09/18/90)

In article <Sep.13.23.53.51.1990.6298@athos.rutgers.edu>, barry1@ihlpa.att.com (Barry O Olson) writes:

>> Lets have some intelligent and meaningful discussion of LDS doctrines and
>> believes, instead of mudslinging.
>>

>I think a major obstacle to understanding is the lds claim to Joseph
>S as a prophet. Many have convincing evidence that Joseph is not prophet
>as defined by orthodox christianity.

My comments were not specific, but a general response to a lot of anti-
Mormon claims which has no fundation. Presentation of facts which
are not true, badly distorted and misinterpreted is the one I object
against.

Let me ask you the question, why is the fact that we believe that
Joseph Smith was the Lord's prophet, and others don't, prevent a meaningful
discussion of the LDS believes? I have no problem at all looking at each
of our believes on its own merit. I believe that there is a very big problem
from the other side. That is, the mind set which most anti-Mormons have
that there can't be any more prophets, therefore, any one who claims to be a prophet can't possibly say anything which is true. There is a paranoia that
if they admit that the prophet Joseph Smith did say some thing which was
true, they would have to actually acknowledge it.

By the way, please, do define who is a prophet.  The problem with the
"orthodox Christian" definations that they are specifically designed by a
mind set which assumes that there can't be any more prophets, which belief
is not biblical, but an apostate belief. Ironically, I personally have not
heard one single defination of a prophet yet, which wouldn't make at least
one Bible prophet a false prophet.

>Early documents that cast doubt on his authenticity are usually brushed
>aside by lds people as minor discepancies or not note-worthy.

I don't believe that we brush them a side. We may question the source
and the accuracy of the information. Do you have a problem with it, or
do you want us to accept everything which the professed enemies of my church
write and say, regardless if they are true or not? And please, don't tell
me that we are paranoid. The persecution which my church went through
is a historical fact. Can you tell me another case where the governor of
a state issued an extermination order against any other church? However,
I am sure that you are an honest person, and you are very well familiar
with the persecution which my church went through. Some time, listening
to some of the anti-Mormons, I begin to wonder if some members of the
Missouri mob are still around.

>As one who takes it serious, i take offense at being so loosely brushed
>aside, and ususally branded an enemy. Of course, anyone who can't see
>the truth of the prophet Joseph cannot be led by God, so why take anyone
>of this type seriously?(alittle sarcasm there).

You are right, you were sarcastic. In fact what you said does gross
injustice to what we believe in. The fact that we believe that
Joseph Smith was the Lord's prophet, and the fact that we believe that
the Lord has a living prophet today, doen't mean that we don't believe
that others are led by the Holy Ghost, whether Cristian or not.

>I have found the church leaders and historians when writing their own
>history make liberal changes here and there to polish the history for
>public consumption with little regard for explanation, or brutal honesty.
>This leads me to believe the church accepts _the end result justifies the
>means_ principle, and is not honest.

First of all, I won't disagree with your statement above. We may have a
disagreemet regarding what was left out, and if it was relevent or not.
Also, we may disagree if what others claim is in fact true.

I, of course, speak about the history of my own church. I am not going to
defend others.

>barry olson

I see no reason whatsoever why we can't have a meaningful discussion of
LDS believes. I have extended a challenge to look at any one of our
believes, and to see if they have any biblical foundations or not. Are you
willing to accept this challenge? If you do, we need to lay down the rules
by which we will agree to abide by. Here are some of my suggestions:

	o Stick with the subject.
	o Strictly use the Bible.
	o Each one of us will do a quick summary at the end and we will
	  categorize our conclusion as follows:

		1. biblical
		2. have biblical basis, but not conclusive
		3. don't have any biblical basis

With brotherly love,

		Frank

hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) (09/18/90)

In article <Sep.13.23.53.51.1990.6298@athos.rutgers.edu> barry1@ihlpa.att.com (Barry O Olson) writes:

>> Lets have some intelligent and meaningful discussion of LDS doctrines and
>> believes, instead of mudslinging.

>I think a major obstacle to understanding is the lds claim to Joseph
>S as a prophet. Many have convincing evidence that Joseph is not prophet
>as defined by orthodox christianity.
>Early documents that cast doubt on his authenticity are usually brushed
>aside by lds people as minor discepancies or not note-worthy.

Or just plain wrong.

Barry, it's rather hard to answer such a non-specific charge as
"early documents..."  If you'll be a bit more specific maybe we can
talk.

I have examined most if not all of your previous accusations here
and on t.r.m and found them to be based either on misunderstanding
or on some very unreliable sources.  Face it Barry, any reasonably
competent investigator tries to judge the reliability of his
sources, even primary documents.  Accepting them uncritically leads
to contradicitions and errors.  If you are saying that we have to
defend everything in the _Journal of Discourses_ of course I'll
refuse, the thing is simply no more reliable than the gospels of
Nicodemus and Phillip are for early Christians.  We can get useful
insights from all but they ought not be swallowed whole.

>I have found the church leaders and historians when writing their own
>history make liberal changes here and there to polish the history for
>public consumption with little regard for explanation, or brutal honesty.
>This leads me to believe the church accepts _the end result justifies the
>means_ principle, and is not honest.

Again this accusation is impossible to either confirm or refute
since you don't give any specifics, not even the name of any of
these writers.